Official eMule-Board: Windows Xp/2000 Crashes - Official eMule-Board

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Windows Xp/2000 Crashes while using eMule ?

#321 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

It's taken awhile, but my speeds are now up to 150KBPS (1/25 of my connection speed)... biggest thing is no bluescreens yet.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 13 November 2009 - 02:58 AM

#322 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

Update: have reached a max download rate of 200KBPS (1/20 of my connection speed), averaging around 100KBPS, same as max upload rate.... no blue screens yet. Looks like shutting down KAD was the answer. And uninstalling all my firefox add ons.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 13 November 2009 - 05:10 AM

#323 User is offline   Wulp 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

View PostA-L-E-X, on 13 November 2009 - 02:01 AM, said:

I saw someone state that emule plus seems to be free of the blue screen bug. Does emule plus not support KAD?

No it doesn't support Kad. Where did you see someone saying that emule has a blue screen bug while eMule plus hasn't?
Even if it really occurs only when Kad is on, it is still not necessarily a bug in eMule/Kad, but probably rather a "sleeping" bug in your system that is called by some Kad action which usually doesn't cause any problem.
I mean I, and many others, have been using Kad since years and have never noticed such a thing. (also XP SP 3) ;)
Especially since the same thing happened with your Firefox addons it really seems there's some problem with your system.

#324 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

As said many times, eMule is a user level application. Therefore it hardly could cause bluescreen by itself. The most probable reason for fatal system errors might be faulty drivers - network, video or malware.

#325 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:35 AM

View PostWulp, on 13 November 2009 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostA-L-E-X, on 13 November 2009 - 02:01 AM, said:

I saw someone state that emule plus seems to be free of the blue screen bug. Does emule plus not support KAD?

No it doesn't support Kad. Where did you see someone saying that emule has a blue screen bug while eMule plus hasn't?
Even if it really occurs only when Kad is on, it is still not necessarily a bug in eMule/Kad, but probably rather a "sleeping" bug in your system that is called by some Kad action which usually doesn't cause any problem.
I mean I, and many others, have been using Kad since years and have never noticed such a thing. (also XP SP 3) ;)
Especially since the same thing happened with your Firefox addons it really seems there's some problem with your system.

I agree that there probably isnt a problem with emule itself, but the thing is since I upgraded from the last version to the new one, the blue screens started. Somewhere on the first page of this thread, someone said that they switched to emule plus and the blue screens stopped, although they switched reluctantly, as they dont really like emule plus. And then on the last page of this thread, someone else said that disabling KAD made their bluescreening stop and I just put 2 and 2 together, and figured that perhaps the reason why emule plus worked better for the first person is it doesnt have KAD. I've had no problems with KAD until the current release, but now the blue screens have become quite vexing.

Last night, with the all the changes I'd performed to the preferences (that I outlined in thre previous page) I extended the time between blue screens to 6 hours, but it's still happening, so I further reduced the max connections to 100, max sources to 200 and the 5 sec max connections to 10. I've also run chkdsk on both temp disks (which I absolutely hated-- it took 2 hours on each drive!) and it only found one bad file (although it could have found more, I fell asleep during the scan and the computer finished its scan and went to the desktop in the interim). Ive just restarted emule (and also downloaded a few mods, which I will test for stability-- although I like the main client, and would rather not switch) with all the changes Ive made and hopefully the new release will work stably for me this time.

All I ask is to be able to have it running for 12 hours a day, every day.

My last resort will be to replace my RAM, and Ive already bought a new set of 2GB dual channel memory (from Crucial), so if this keeps happening I will just do that. I think Ive gone as far as I can with modifying the preferences and other settings.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 14 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

#326 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

Unfortunately having KAD shut off as I now do, it takes awhile to get the program up to maximum connection speeds. Im rather spoiled with having really fast downloads and uploads all the time and without KAD it takes a few hours to get there.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 14 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

#327 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

I think it was something on my computer causing the problems (probably the memory, which is two years old now) so I swapped out the memory and replaced it with dual channel sticks of Crucial memory, and replaced my video card with a brand name one from eVGA, as well uninstalling and reinstalling with a new video card driver. When I started everything back up, my sound card wouldnt work, so I moved it from the bottom pci slot to the middle one and moved some other stuff around. My computer seems to running MUCH faster now and the display is extremely vivid and crisp (new video card?) I wont have time to try emule again until tomorrow, but hopefully it will be very nice to my new hard ware :) If worse comes to worse, I have a spare hard drive lying around so that would be my final move (replacing the main hard drive.)

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 16 November 2009 - 04:03 AM

#328 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:45 AM

Blah, it was a multitude of things; first the cable tech put all new wiring going to my house (the old wires were "frayed") and they gave me a new modem, so that fixed the 10 pct packet loss going to the modem, but my computer still had an 80 pct packet loss! I realized the eternet adapter on my mobo had died so I got a neatgear gigabit ga-311 pci ethernet adapter and now all is well smile.gif

I had to go back and reinstall my firewall antivirus and antispyware protection, which took another 2 hrs.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 20 November 2009 - 02:45 AM

#329 User is offline   ggd 

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

Glad to know these, thanks for your sharing

#330 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

eMule has been running trouble free for 13 hours already so I guess the issue is fixed :) Thanks for the help!

#331 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

Since I have some confidence in my new gigabit ethernet pci adapter, I set max connections to 400, max connections per 5 sec to 40 and max sources to 800, with everything else at default. Ive also turned KAD back on. Do you think this is recommended, or do you think I risk destroying my new ethernet card with the settings this high if I run emule for 24 hrs? Is it possible that's how my old ethernet adapter on the mobo "broke?"

I also set my download limit to 16 mbps and my upload limit to 1.6 mbps. My connection is rated as 30 mbps / 5 mbps, but its a cable connection and so its variable... during peak hours my download rate is under 10 mbps and my upload rate is under 1 mbps. I only get the 30/5 rate consistently between about midnight and 9 am.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 21 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

#332 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

So far so good, Im closing in on 24 hrs lol, and everything seems to be working great, and I can chat and surf the web while having emule running also.

Im thinking of letting emule run at full upload speed (5mbps) at night when I get the full bandwidth of my connection, even when im not downloading anything, I like the fact that I try to give more than I take (plus I always get high id and very high speeds when I am downloading lol.)

So far my session stats are uploaded data (11.03 GB) downloaded data (9.13 GB)
cumulative stats are uploaded data (153.19 GB) downloaded data (121.31 GB)

edit: My computer seemed to be getting a bit sluggish after running emule for over 30 hrs, so I scaled my settings back a bit... max connections is 200, max sources 400 and max connections per 5 sec is 20, and everything is smooth once again, even with KAD on :)

Sorry for the double posting, torpon!

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 22 November 2009 - 12:59 AM

#333 User is offline   torpon 

• I'm so tired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Aren't you tired for saying things in two topics? I feel tired from reading two times your replies.

#334 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

One other thing for anyone having blue screens still-- I discovered my installation of Java had somehow become corrupted, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and everything is running much smoother now. I also switched from Firefox to Opera-- I like the way Opera handles Java much better, and its a much smoother and more elegant browser than Firefox (Im not going to waste time downloading memory hogging add ons that become invalid as soon as the browser is updated, I want everything built in from the beginning, and fully supported.)

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 27 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

#335 User is offline   f0xr0x 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have been using emule for a long while now and I believe that using it may have totalled my PC. So I am told.

Unless someone knows better...

I have Windows XP. From time to time my pc crashes completely. I don't mean blue screen, I mean it shuts off dead. Just dies. The problem gets more and more frequent to the point where it won't even switch on.

When it comes back I get the 'computer has recovered from a serious error' message. Togather with that, using emule, I seem to get loads of 'Low ID' sessions for no reason that I can determine - I've tried everything - but sometimes not! Sometimes it's fine for no apparent reason

I have had the thing supposedly repaired by an IT repair company, but it is starting the crash thing again almost immediately. It is seriously ill.

The only explanation I can get from the repair company and IT savvy friends is that it may be 'something picked up on emule'.

Now, I am about to get a new laptop, but I am frightened of trashing it by by using emule, much as I love doing so.

Anyone got any thoughts? As I say, this is not blue screen, but total death.

Thank you

#336 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

View Postf0xr0x, on 04 December 2009 - 11:07 PM, said:

I have been using emule for a long while now and I believe that using it may have totalled my PC. So I am told.
I hope it's a joke. Otherwise I'd keep my computer out of reach of those people. :)

it shuts off dead. Just dies. The problem gets more and more frequent to the point where it won't even switch on.
I would suspect power supply unit in the first place.

'something picked up on emule'.
Even if you picked up something, it could come from other sources. Savvy friends, indeed...

#337 User is offline   f0xr0x 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

View Postfox88, on 04 December 2009 - 09:15 PM, said:

I hope it's a joke. Otherwise I'd keep my computer out of reach of those people. :)

it shuts off dead. Just dies. The problem gets more and more frequent to the point where it won't even switch on.
I would suspect power supply unit in the first place.

'something picked up on emule'.
Even if you picked up something, it could come from other sources. Savvy friends, indeed...

You may be right, Fox. I don't know. I know diddly about these things. I was just hoping for some straight advice. All I know is that since using email my pc has died in no uncertain terms, and I can find no good reason. Plus emule was behaving oddly (random low ID etc). People who know a whole bunch more than me reckon emule may be the root cause of my problems. I assume you think otherwise. PSU perhaps. OK, is that easy to cure?

#338 User is offline   pepe0008 

• PipPip

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

View Postf0xr0x, on 04 December 2009 - 11:02 PM, said:

I was just hoping for some straight advice. All I know is that since using email my pc has died in no uncertain terms, and I can find no good reason. Plus emule was behaving oddly (random low ID etc). People who know a whole bunch more than me reckon emule may be the root cause of my problems. I assume you think otherwise. PSU perhaps. OK, is that easy to cure?

Advice:

1. make a backup of your data to an external hard disk.
2. format the PC's internal hard disk.
3. reinstall Windows. reinstall your applications. reinstall emule.
4. see if your PC is now stable. if yes, make a Ghost image of it.
5. if not, you have hardware problems in your PC. then buy a new PC, they are cheap.
6. when you have the stability problem solved, recover your data from the external hard disk.

There, you have been advised. :flowers:

#339 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

Its not emule, its something else on your computer-- Im thinking graphics driver (if you have nvidia, only use driver version 182.50), java (uninstall java and then install version 1.5 and then 1.6 on top of that) or browser (opera is the most stable). I had some of the same issues and ended up doing the process I outlined above. I also was able to add more stability (on emule for over 2 days and counting) by doing the following: went into the control panel, system, and advanced and changed the setting to performance... yes you dont get any of the neat special effects, but its one of the things thats also kept my computer from shutting off. I also set the wallpaper to the default "bliss" as it seemed that my computer was freezing up and shutting off whenever my wallpaper changer changed the wallpaper. Basically, I set everything to the lowest parameters possible on the desktop and its now completely stable (knock on wood.)

I also use opera and that has resolved the issues that firefox and ie were causing.

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 31 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

#340 User is offline   A-L-E-X 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Couple other things to do is to completely shut down your desk top icons and just pin your most frequently used programs to your start menu (I did that to 26 programs I use) and if youre still having any issues go to control panel, administrative options and event log viewer, look under application and system and find everything that causes an error or caution and use the properties and more info button to find solutions (or use the event id number in google and search for the solutions-- this has always worked for me.)

This post has been edited by A-L-E-X: 02 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users