• (4 Pages)
  • +

How To Avoid Fake Files

#21 User is offline   s01o 

• n00b ghost, roaming this board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:26 PM

uhuh, just now visited the site: saw it in the downloads section. but the FAQ there doesn't explain, how to use it. I, personnaly, don't understand, what this file is for...

#22 User is offline   xscarab 

• Mrs Chief Mumpopo 'Monkeyballs' Umboga III
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

I don't think the official client has a feature to let you use it. It is/was a mod feature. For Morph - Files found during a search, which were on the fake list would be flagged in the search window IIRC.

This post has been edited by xscarab: 01 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

Are we nearly there yet?

#23 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:55 PM

AFAIK fakes.rar is used in "eMule Plus" and some other mods, not in regular eMule

This post has been edited by niRRity: 02 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

#24 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

@xscarab: I think you are confusing fakes.rar with fakes.zip. Fakes.rar is used in eMule Plus, and is downloaded through the ed2k network. Fakes.zip is used by Morph (and IoNiX and NeoMule IIRC) and is downloaded from a web server through the "Morph update" feature.

#25 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Another small edit (number 3) about previewing and codecs. :+1:

#26 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:26 AM

Added a section to the guide.

#27 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

Edited the "Avoiding Fakes in the Search Stage." section. See Edit 4.

#28 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:19 AM

I added another section to the guide, check out the new "Setting Up eMule to Avoid Fake Files Spreaders." section. I will appreciate feedback.

#29 User is offline   Lawboy 

• Ain't Nuthin' But A Goth Thing...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

The rule I live by for avoiding fakes is:

If it says "Britney and Christina hot mud wrestling action.avi", it's probably NOT what it says.

Applying that rule mercilessly, I have never DL'd a fake. Fo'real.
Oh. Your. God.

#30 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:40 AM

The problem is that you also haven't seen ms. spears and ms. aguilera mud wrestling because of this approach. Your loss :)

#31 User is offline   birk 

• Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

I haven't read the guide yet but does it differ from the fake files guide by xnorf in the guides forum? If yes I don't mind moving it there. :)

#32 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

At first I wrote it because I didn't notice xnorf's guide, I still think my guide will be easier to follow especially for new users. Also xnorf is directing users to Webservices which might not be available in the future, and he recommends using VLC for previewing which I find is a less friendly solution the MPC since the VLC plugin is needed.

I will appreciate you moving my guide to the guides section :+1:

#33 User is offline   PrionBrion 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

niRRity, on Sep 23 2005, 12:13 PM, said:

A Guide for Getting the Correct File.
Or: how to avoid fake files.

Avoiding Fakes in the Search Stage.
Always make sure you are downloading the most common file in your search results. Sort the results by availability and if you reached the maximum results (300 if you are using global search) make your search term more specific. Another way of getting more relevant results is using the Max/Min size filter and the “Complete Sources” and “Availability” Filters, set the “Complete Sources” to 1 and the “Availability” to 2 (These are minimum values).
Once the client finish searching expand the first result (if possible) by clicking the “+” mark and check the filenames. If most of the filenames are the file you were searching for, start downloading the file.
Edit 1: If you are connected to KAD you can also search for comments on the file you are about to download by right clicking it, selecting "Comments..." from the context menu and clicking the "Search KAD" button.
Edit 4: Since eMule 0.47a you can see a "Ratings" icon next to some results. Read more about ratings here: Look at the bottom on the page.

Maybe I get different results because I'm on dialup and never connect to Kad but from all the fakes I've had generally they have been the widely available files and their 'renames' are coherent. For eg my last search got results with availability in decending order for that search One file at 60, One file at 6, Lots of 2's and More of 1's. I know for a fact the "availability 60 file" is a fake. Thats 10x more available that the second most available file and approximately 60x more available than most of the rest.

Considering the users though nobody has commented (apart from myself - btw I can view Ratings and Comments on ED2K network although they seem hit n miss - ie Rated but no Comment which would be nice) that this is a fake apart from me. Now thats annoying! :ranting:

This post has been edited by PrionBrion: 23 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

#34 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

It is very true that often the most available files are the fakes, especially small (mp3) files or things that are very popular/new. So it is not always correct to suggest use of the most available and indeed in these cases 1-2 sources will most likely be the only valid ones, but it is near impossible to give a perfect formula. This is just a (very useful) guide. At the end of the day it is experience that will tell a good from a bad file.

#35 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:55 PM

@PrionBrion: From my experience when you get the kind of results you described you probably have fake servers in your server list. Read the "Setting Up eMule to Avoid Fake Files Spreaders." section and see if that helps.

#36 User is offline   PrionBrion 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

niRRity, on Apr 25 2006, 12:55 AM, said:

@PrionBrion: From my experience when you get the kind of results you described you probably have fake servers in your server list. Read the "Setting Up eMule to Avoid Fake Files Spreaders." section and see if that helps.
View Post

Ok duder, done all that and am about to restart the muley but its awfully confusicatin for a dumbbo like me to get a handle on what I'm doing eg in previous posts I'd read unchecking 'Update server list at start' was recommended. Plus just now I managed to get on Donkey Server No2 (which sounds legit?) and did the same search and found 130 odd of that same fake file (which is about twice as much as previos but now on a kosher server?)

Ok we is relaunched and Donkey Sever No 2 is still in me list..ie hi probability is is an OK server. And search....narr nirrity..same thing fake files availability is 130 vs a load of other files whos availability must average..humm...2 or 3.
:huh: :unsure:

This post has been edited by PrionBrion: 28 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

#37 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:24 PM

Regarding servers it is all about knowing they are genuine and correctly configured. This is generally most important for the connected server as this will then determine whether you can get results and/or sources from any other servers. Because there are so many 'questionable' servers now it is best to just remove all current, update using a trusted list (such as Corpo) and turn off all auto-update functions. This way you are guaranteed to have only ok ones. If you like you can manually update them every few months, but it's probably not necessary. Indeed, you don't have to have any more than one server should you wish (or none if you just use Kad ;) ).

It is worth noting that although many (including myself) might refer to other, non-listed, servers as 'fake', the lists make no pretence as to being all 'legitimate' servers. They are merely known to be correctly configured. Similarly, many 'fake' servers are not in any way suspicious - they are simply not setup correctly! Whichever, DS 2 is certainly ok.

The only definite behaviour I am aware of with 'fake' servers is either a total lack sources at the download stage (ie. no transfers), zero search results or the classic search results limited to 30 and/or pictures only (regardless of filter).

Regarding fake files, I see your results as quite normal in my experience and, although I otherwise find this a most accurate and useful guide, I do disagree with Nirrity's suggestion that files with the most sources in search results are naturally an indicator of a genuine file. In fact I argue that it is equally an indicator of a fake. Certainly search results in the thousands ring big alarm bells to me and, in my experience, small files are usually more reliable in the 'rarer' results.

Such results as observed here are not due to fake servers but just the files published by the users connected. As servers have no control or knowledge of the files shared and whether a filename might correctly relate to a file, if someone wants to spread a fake file they will be doing so on whichever server they connect. In the case of a major organisation they can setup many thousands of fake IP's from one source to do the job (much easier and more successful than trying to create their own ed2k server!) So, such results do not mean it is a fake server and equally there is no reason to expect that these genuine servers would always give accurate filenames. This has never been the case and is why you must always make careful choices regarding file selection and then perform the further checks such as filenames and preview as detailed in the guide.

I think only experience can tell you which popular results are ok and which are suspect. Using good trusted servers and up-to-date IPfilters etc. do not stop the fake results and the fake files downloading! But hopefully they do stop the people uploading from you that you don't want uploading from you :P

One trick I do use with mp3 files is to check bitrate/length and filesize. You know somethings wrong when there are many results, all with many sources, yet the filesize remains constant for the same bitrate or the bitrate and length do not match the filesize you might expect.

This post has been edited by niclights: 28 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

#38 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

I read the section in question and I edited the first sentence. I still feel that when it comes to large files (I never download small files) my guide is pretty accurate.

#39 User is offline   Tojo 

• PipPip

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

FAKE FILES:
How do we get rid of fake files or rather :
dummy files with null or repititious strings or corrupted zips ???? :-1:
- Tojo waz ear ! -
-- STAY CALM ! --

#40 User is offline   PacoBell 

• Professional Lurker ¬_¬ (so kyoot!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:50 PM

Use the webservices and read the comments. In other words, common sense.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Math is delicious!
MmMm! Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Toffee Macadamias are little drops of Heaven ^_^
Si vis pacem, para bellum DIE SPAMMERS DIE!

• Member Options

• (4 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users