Official eMule-Board: Frequently Asked Features - Official eMule-Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Frequently Asked Features read this before posting a new Request Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Unknown1 

• Wanna be Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

Features you won't see in eMule:
  • Multiple Server connections - We already talk to all the servers. Creating extra connections is just wasteful and loads the servers.
  • Multicast - This isn't possible. Most ISP's do not support multicasting.
  • Server hopping - We already talk to all the servers. This is just wasteful and loads the servers.
  • Anonymous network (any) - No the edonkey and kad network cannot be changed to be anonymous without redesigning the whole network - which we do not intend. Anonymous network also always suffer from a huge waste of bandwidth (> 50%) which is needed to guarantee anonymity. If you prefer such a project, please take a look at projects like freenet.
  • Webcache - Will not be added for legal (and moral) reasons as it "abuses" the ISPs HTTP-Proxies to store it's data which would lead to a huge increase of load and (unwanted) traffic for those servers if eMule would support it - maybe up to making them unreachable.
  • Support for [any P2P-Network] - there will be no support for additional networks. We will concentrate our work to improve the Ed2K and Kad protocol. Also more networks means more overhead.
Features you may or may not see in future eMule versions: (that means its not a promise, just that we are aware of it and consider it as a possibillity, sorted by priority)
  • Autoupdate - There might be a possibility to autoupdate eMule in some way. This would probably still involve user interaction and possibly downloading some file by hand (or at least clicking on a ed2k link), but overall it would be an easier, more secure and more scalable way to update eMule's version.
  • STUN for "UDP open" Kad sources - Sources which have the new (0.49a) UDP open state might also support STUN (on eMule Mods also known as NAT-T) in the future. However we first have to evaluate how many sources with TCP firewalled and UDP open will actually exist in the Kad network and if this is going to work out fine.
  • Full Skin Support - It would be nice if the whole GUI would be customizable, but like many other points here this would be a lot work and its not yet deceided if its worth it
  • IPv6 - We intent to make the Kad (and if possible Server-Ed2k) protocol ready for IPv6. However this is a milestone set for the far future and not for any soon upcoming release, so don't hold your breath.
  • Plug-ins -This isn't a bad idea in general, but a lot coding, which has not high priority at this time. Maybe you will see this in a future version, but not that soon.
  • QoS - Quality of Service Support for routers or QoS drivers
Features currently under discussion/revision: (we are currently discussing/considering if this feature should/could be added, there is no decision published yet)
    Warning: I'm leaving this thread open so that people can comment on changes and mistakes in the list. I will periodically update this list. When I do, I will most likely delete all added posts to keep the thread clean. So if you see your post deleted, don't take offense.

This post has been edited by Some Support: 10 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

#2 User is offline   leuk_he 

• MorphXT team.
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

More that should be in the sticky:

1 Make downloads faster
    Without telling in the feature request forum how to do it , you are wasting your and our time. But do note that everything someone downloads someone must upload. So you if can speed up the upload of everyone it has the same effect. But tell here how to do it.

2 Run eMule as an (NT) service
    Possible, but you should know that the user interface is (too) closely tied to the core. doing this is possible, but a big effort.

Note that with the use of external tools or without gui separation this is already possible: eg:
    Use firedeamon that tuns any app into a service or morph starting from 9.3 you might also take a look at amule, but it does not run as a windows service(yet)

3 I have this great improvement for the credit system
    Before you spend more time on it and post it here you should be aware that eMule is a file-sharing application and not a file trading application. Any tit-for-tat like systems might improve the download of the files you are downloading now, but this will hurt the file diversity in eMule(like bittorrent, where files die after 2-4 weeks ) . you should really think this over before you create the next credit shaping (=bad) credit system and or horde variation.

4 I posted this great feature here and every one agreed it was fine, why isn't this implemented

If the official devs read here they might or might not implement it. Remember the development process is not a democracy. Maybe a mod might implement it, and it will be put into official later. Anyway, do not expect feedback here when it is implemented. The only sure way to get a feature into eMule is code it yourself and use your own version. :P

5 handle all lowid users more fair

(where fair is banning according to some and give them a boost according to others)
    There is no reason to do that. lowid are the same clients. They upload the same amounts as other users. They are handicapped since they have a harder time finding more sources for a file. ( If you really want to ban lowid users then take a lowid yourself since lowid clients cannot connect other lowid clients )

And remember:be nice. :flowers:

----
    Well Some things you should know, but still asked frequently:
    multiple tempdirs already is implemented
    Protocol obfuscation to avoid throttling/ traffic shaping exist starting from 0.47c. THis is the same sort of thing as protocol encryption in bittorrent.
    ----
    PS, I am not a official dev this post is just my personal opinion.

This post has been edited by leuk_he: 26 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Download the MorphXT emule mod here: eMule Morph mod

Trouble connecting to a server? Use kad and /or refresh your server list
    Strange search results? Check for fake servers! Or download morph, enable obfuscated server required, and far less fake server seen.

Looking for morphXT translators. If you want to translate the morph strings please come here (you only need to be able to write, no coding required. ) Covered now: cn,pt(br),it,es_t,fr.,pl Update needed:de,nl
    -Morph FAQ [English wiki]--Het grote emule topic deel 13 [Nederlands]
    if you want to send a message i will tell you to open op a topic in the forum. Other forum lurkers might be helped as well.

#3 User is offline   BlueSonicBoy 

• Magnificent Member
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

leuk_he, on Oct 29 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

More that should be in the sticky:
    View Post

5. Features which solely facilitate illegal use or attempt to provide a legal defence for those charged with an illegal use.

Such feature would put the project in the position of condoning, encouraging and facilitating illegal use and make the project a target for litigation.

This post has been edited by BlueSonicBoy: 27 April 2006 - 03:47 AM

#4 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Yes

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Updated & Cleaned up the thread

#5 User is offline   WarriorWing 

• Splendid Member
    • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

View PostUnknown1, on Jul 20 2003, 06:01 PM, said:

[*]STUN for "UDP open" Kad sources - Sources which have the new (0.49a) UDP open state might also support STUN (on eMule Mods also known as NAT-T) in the future. However we first have to evaluate how many sources with TCP firewalled and UDP open will actually exist in the Kad network and if this is going to work out fine.

Here in Italy there are some ISP's which use this technology. Since in many areas there's no DSL line ISP's offers the possibility of using connections via satellite (i don't know if i said it right :unsure: ). Unluckily this method has always the NAT problem.

I have not this problem, but on forums there are lots of people with this problem and all i can say them is "sorry you'll never be able to get a high ID". It would be great to have it :flowers:
    Maybe i'll grab informations around...

#6 User is offline   CiccioBastardo 

• Doomsday Executor
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

SUQWT + Small File Pushing and at this point a better Credit System

Possibility to add a "related content link" as a comment to a file (as a standalone tag, similar to the file rating mechanism, or directly in comment text). So possibly longer comments as well.

This post has been edited by CiccioBastardo: 31 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

The problem is not the client, it's the user

#7 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

@Some Support

STUN for "UDP open" Kad sources - Sources which have the new (0.49a) UDP open state might also support STUN (on eMule Mods also known as NAT-T) in the future. However we first have to evaluate how many sources with TCP firewalled and UDP open will actually exist in the Kad network and if this is going to work out fine.

Do you already have some stats on that UDP open state, its been some weeks since 0.49a is out?
    I

In case you decide to implement STUN in the official client, please take a look in my CNatSocket it provides a TCP like connection over UDP, it handles all retransmission, streaming, and timeout stuff on its own and is designed to easily plug into the CAsyncSocketEx.
    I have put a loot of work in it and you can save a lot of time and coding when you use it.
    NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
    it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
    NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
    it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,
    as well as many other new features.
    It is written in C++ with Qt and is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

#8 User is offline   erik35 

• Pip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

I have a low ID problem that I cannot solve, possibly because I am not good with IT and certainly not with eMule. At the moment I use my neighbours internet via wireless connection. So checking the router I assume is not possible. Anyway, what I would like to see is an automatic search feauture for finding the reason for low ID and suggest a solution. For example, instead of having me trying out different ports, why not having emule do this automatically? And if the port is blocked by firewall - why not include a test for blocking firewalls and if positive inform the user that there is a firewall block. I'd like to see every possible thing that can cause an low ID to be included in this search feauture and every finding should be informed to the user in such a way that also the newbies can understand it and fix the problem.
    To see if also the newbies can understand you should test the feauture on a real newbie. A programmer can never explain something on the level a newbie would want it so they need to work together with newbies for that. I can volunteer for such a work if needed.

#9 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

Honestly I don't think such a feature can work in any sense full way,
    the client only sees does it work or not, I'm not aware of any automated way to trace at witch point the connection is blocked.
    Though from the server side you could at least in some circumstances tell if a port is being blocked by a firewall or if there is no service on that port, though good firewalls should make all ports appear as no service...

btw: Does your neighbor know that you are (ab)using his Internet connection???
    NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
    it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
    NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
    it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,
    as well as many other new features.
    It is written in C++ with Qt and is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

#10 User is offline   Jpesker 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

This request is an easy one:

"Open File Location" listed in Right-Click menu for a file shown in the TRANSFERS tab.

#11 User is offline   torpon 

• I'm so tired
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

This topic is not the place to ask for features. You have to start your own topic.

Cheers :D

#12 User is offline   gigatoaster 

• Shpongle is my life
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hello :)

Could we have an update on the list please? :flowers:

#13 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

You forgot to add "antileech" feature in the list :)

#14 User is offline   azzz 

• Pip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

@erdem444

Thouse real leecher mod you cant detect as they do not send any modstrings or protocol specials. When you will just try from how many leecher mods you can download too for example this one eMule v0.47f just downloaded from it 60.95 MB in this seassion. The default ban in official emule is ok but you can also build a wall around if you feehl anyone want too leech especially you out

#15 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

@azzz,
    I am not asking for a feature. . . Just telling it's not in the lists.(you won't see, or you may see)

#16 User is offline   DieselDragon 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hail again! B)
    When it comes to possible improvements and new features in eMule, I've got several ideas that I'd like to put up for discussion. I've already posted my first suggestion about the instant transfer of small files to reduce waiting times and network overhead, but - Before I start posting the others - I'd just like to double-check with everyone about how those extra suggestions would be best posted. :)

I do have another three (At least) suggestions that I'd like to make for future eMule releases, but at the same time I'm a little iffy about possibly flooding the Feature Requests forum with a number of new threads. :unsure:

So...Would it be better for me to post all of my ideas into:
    • A single thread for all suggestions - Which would keep the forum tidy, but discussions on individual ideas could get fragmented across the topic, or
    • An individual thread for each suggestion - Which would keep discussions in their seperate threads, but would lead to more threads - Which may be a pain for other users.
    Whilst I'm at it - Given that eMule is a German project, with a large user base in Deutschland - Would it be beneficial for me to post my suggestions in a bi-lingual manner (Although my Deutsch is basic at best) or is English on it's own good enough for everyone? :flowers:

Farewell for now, and catch ye all again soon! B)
    +++ DieselDragon +++

#17 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

If the suggestions aren't connected I would put them in several threads. Especially if you anticipate a big discussion about them.
    Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#18 User is offline   pupet 

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

optimizer amd

#19 User is offline   AudreyGarcia 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for this wonderful info about emule.

There is no need for me to ask questions because all the answers are found here.

Great job.

This post has been edited by torpon: 28 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

#20 User is offline   fabtar 

• Golden eMule
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

View PostCiccioBastardo, on 27 May 2008 - 04:46 PM, said:

SUQWT + Small File Pushing and at this point a better Credit System

I vote these features, personally I see only advantages and no drawbacks in having SUQWT + Small File Pushing .
    About a better credit system, this is still a vague argument, but in general a better credit system should be useful.

P.s: Oops sorry Torpon...I have done a FR... it is too late ;-)

This post has been edited by fabtar: 19 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

• Member Options

• (3 Pages)
    • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users