Official eMule-Board: What Is Your Monthly Isp Data Transfer Limit? - Official eMule-Board

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

What Is Your Monthly Isp Data Transfer Limit?

Poll: How much data can you transfer per month (up + down)? (378 member(s) have cast votes)

How much data can you transfer per month (up + down)?

1. 0 - 1GB (6 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

2. 1 - 5GB (8 votes [2.12%])

Percentage of vote: 2.12%

3. 6 - 10GB (11 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

4. 11 - 20GB (14 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. 21 - 30GB (15 votes [3.97%])

Percentage of vote: 3.97%

6. 31 - 50GB (6 votes [1.59%])

Percentage of vote: 1.59%

7. 51 - 100GB (15 votes [3.97%])

Percentage of vote: 3.97%

8. 101 - 250GB (7 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

9. >250GB (but not unlimited) (4 votes [1.06%])

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

10. Unlimited (292 votes [77.25%])

Percentage of vote: 77.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Random User 

• Random Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:58 PM

Some people are lucky in that they can get a connection that doesn't impose a monthly data transfer limit. Others (myself included) are not so lucky. So, how much data does your ISP allow you to transfer (upload + download) per month?

#2 User is offline    Rake  

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:05 PM

As far I know, I don't have quota to transfer files (ul/dl).

At the moment that ISP fixed a quota, I drop the service.
women came from Mars, mothers-in-law came from Al-Qaeda user posted image

#3 User is offline   RejZoR 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:06 PM

Unlimited :)
My webpage and blog: http://www.rejzor.tk
"Something that looks pretty much like a banana but tastes like a peace of pork, though it is a product from a bird!"
Stulle @ Dec 7 2005, 06:16 PM

#4 User is offline   JayC30 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

Unlimited now and on new ISP when transfere completes. Though those on BT be warned as of next year all customers will be capped existing and new, and there will be a £2 charge on each gig over that limit (as reported in a UK computer magazine). (To those not in the know, so I can't be accused of using comething I don't again, that is British Telecom and not BitTorrent)
Notice to newbies:
1. Read this: eMule manual and Forum Rules
2. Then read this: Read before posting and do what it says.
3. Then check here Quick help
4. Then ask.

Click on the underlined.
----------------------------
Minister of Semantics, Useless Waffle & Pusskits - In Birks' NWO
---------------------------
Taken from SF's rules, with permission, "If it started in a thread, it should end in the same thread." Therefore don't PM me about a comment I have made in a thread, I am not interested and will put you in my blocked list.

#5 User is offline   leexgx 

• UK MAD FOR LESS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:28 PM

ADSL users in the uk British Telecom and wanado (aka freeserve) will be intrduceing bb limits

NTL or Blueyonder have no limits at this time

ADSL in the uk give you 512k/256k is standered unless you want to save £7 and get an 150/32k line (not much faster then ISDN) (use something like http://www.pipex.net) (ADSL in the uk uses the phone system for it)

NTL and blue yonder are an tad anyoing (cable)
{300k/64k}
{756k/128k}
{1.5mb/256k}
blueyonder offer {3mb/256k} as well
But thay both offer True ethnet connection no messin with drivers plug in and go (its allso 24/7 allways on line where as ADSL is not untill you connect)

i recommend NTL or blue yonder (just make sure you get an modem for your internet NOT the TV box for internet access i so many times *used* to crash my tv box with emule and other things) but you do need to pay more for the upload

with ADSL/router its finding an good modem that can handle the connecions with NTL just get an pii 400 or older and slap 2 network cards in it and put http://www.ipcop.org on it

This post has been edited by leexgx: 14 November 2004 - 09:32 PM

in and around

#6 User is offline   Toce 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:21 AM

Croatia: 512 MB free (for all ADSL packets)

Every next 512MB packet costs about 3.5 euros :shock:
:ranting:

#7 User is offline   Xander 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:46 AM

sweden, 10mbit symmetrical connection (no quota whatsoever), isp is bredbandsbolaget.se ~$40 a month.

#8 User is offline   birk 

• Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:44 AM

Unlimited! :D

#9 User is offline   PsychoTrauma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:11 AM

1500/500 adsl with unlimited data transfer. I really put my isp to the test too since i'm almost always maxing both my upload and download(they havnt complained yet).

#10 User is offline   PluG 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:40 AM

Unlimited :D

But another question is:

What posses ppl to sign up with isp`s that have transfer limits?

#11 User is offline   qm2003 

• V.I.P. (Volatile Indifferent Puppet)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:01 AM

Some have no alternative, some do it deliberately to save a handful of bucks, some are just ignorant and stupid. ;)

Anyway, unlimited.
:)
How to setup Emule. A small checklist | Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing.
In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?

I'm a bloodsucking fiend. Look at my outfit !

#12 User is offline   rwolf969 

• Wolf inside
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:30 AM

Interesting, it seems that most users are on "unlimited". Me included, that is.

#13 User is offline   Devil Doll 

• feature request writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 01:48 PM

In Germany, most users have unlimited transfer volume - because it is available for a reasonable price. We just don't have that much speed...
The price model of all providers includes ca. 20 US $ for providing the DSL access plus 30-40 US $ for usage with unlimited transfer volume; all DSL providers are in a similar price range here. These prices refer to 128/1024 kBit ADSL upload/download; there are services with factors 2 and 3 that cost about 1.5 and 2 times as much.

There are "entry packages" for DSL users who only want to surf, some even allowing 1-2 GB usage a month for free, or 6 GB for about 10 US $; that's why sometimes German file sharers appear with limited bandwidth.
Currently there's an advertisement campaign by Arcor offering unlimited bandwidth usage for 13 US-$, so maybe the prices will drop in the near future.

The downside is that DSL lines in Germany are extremely asymmetric. 128 kbit/sec up & 1024 kbit/sec down (i. e. 1:8) is the standard entry package, and the faster lines tend to be even less symmetric (such as 192 / 2048).
These services mostly seem to be designed for protocols such as email, HTTP and FTP, all of which require little upload to allow a lot of download. There are no SDSL providers for reasonable prices (i.e. less than 5-10 times the ADSL lines) in Germany, probably because "end users don't need SDSL - unless they are file sharers"...
Therefore most German ed2k users will upload no more than 30 GB a month (and preaching the use of USS by everyone instead of merely configuring a 12 kB/sec limit is really an improvement here) while they occasionally download a multiple of this volume.

Our neighbors in Austria seem to have much worse conditions for file sharing. Austria Telecom, their largest provider, offers a 128/768 ADSL package plus 5 GB traffic for the same price we in Germany already get the unlimited flat rate.

In southern Europe I read ADSL lines that are less asymmetric (more like 1:2 or 1:5). Users in Scandinavia seem to have the best service in Europe for reasonable prices (look at the numbers Xander posted ... :shock: ).

So the conditions seem to vary extremely from country to country.

This post has been edited by Devil Doll: 15 November 2004 - 01:51 PM

#14 User is offline   Xander 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Devil Doll, on Nov 15 2004, 01:48 PM, said:

Users in Scandinavia seem to have the best service in Europe for reasonable prices (look at the numbers Xander posted ...  :shock: ).

yes, I believe this has to do with our government's promise of affordable broadband connections for all citizens, in an effort to increase IT awareness here in sweden, together with bredbandbolagets vision of offering affordable 10mbit to all private persons. amongst 10mbit users here in sweden however, the primary p2p network is Direct Connect, mainly because there are alot of swedish hubs only for 10mbit users. I've had a hard time trying to lure my 10mbit buddies into the ed2k network, personally I'd rather share with the world at lower speeds than with a closed group of other swedes at high speeds, however most people are simply interested in speed. and when they compare the transfer rates in a 10mbit hub, and the general rates they get on ed2k, it's a very hard sell. my main argument, and the most successful one is file diversity, the second one is the community, here ed2k is leaps and bounds ahead the competition, not only are all the mainstream interests covered, but there are subcommunities for an immense amount of rarer interests, many of which publish exclusively on ed2k. third is the longeivity of files in the ed2k network. if sufficiently nurtured and/or interesting, files in this network can live forever, which is a far cry from the latest-greatest culture prevailing in networks such as DC and BT.

fourth but not least, ed2k teaches you the virtue of patience, and that good stuff is worth waiting for ;)

as for the general speed of the ed2k network, it is bound to rise as isp's around the world are forced by competition and/or complaints to increase bandwidth. I estimate that the norm today is a asymetrical line 128/1024kbit (16kbyte up/ 128kbyte down), which devil doll described. but even now, the ed2k network is well and healthy (as proven by the increasing number of users).

#15 User is offline   Geo66 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:37 PM

I'm with PlusNet in the UK, I thought I was on unlimited but yesterday I got this email:

We described in today's announcement the configuration changes we are making to our Broadband Platform. It has been identified that a small proportion of our Broadband customers (less than 0.3%) are using a significant amount of the available capacity (around 10%).
You are within the 0.3% of customers identified above, which means that so far, the platform's configuration has allowed you to use a disproportionate amount of the available capacity.
We currently over-provision the capacity of our platform in order to ensure that a high quality of service is maintained for all of our customers. Every customer is important to us, and so we want to find a way to continue providing your Broadband service without running the risk of affecting the overall quality of service.
We will be making changes to our Broadband platform that will take effect in 14 days' time, at which point you will be sharing platform capacity with other Broadband customers who have similar usage patterns to you. We will, of course, ensure that your Broadband service is still provided well above the design advertised on the website.

Sounds like they want to talk but unless they're willing to let me keep downloading then I'm moving. I pay £65 a month for their 256/2048 service and I think that sort of money entitles me to heavy usage. The bit about sharing capacity with other people with my usage patterns sounds like all the heavy users are going to be lumped together and slowed down.
Can anyone recommend a good ADSL suplier in England with a 2Mb package? I'm not in a cable area :-(

#16 User is offline   JayC30 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:01 AM

£65!!! For crying out loud you ban get that for about £36 on Central Point. http://www.cpbb.co.uk/cpbb/index.html

This post has been edited by JayC30: 16 November 2004 - 01:04 AM

Notice to newbies:
1. Read this: eMule manual and Forum Rules
2. Then read this: Read before posting and do what it says.
3. Then check here Quick help
4. Then ask.

Click on the underlined.
----------------------------
Minister of Semantics, Useless Waffle & Pusskits - In Birks' NWO
---------------------------
Taken from SF's rules, with permission, "If it started in a thread, it should end in the same thread." Therefore don't PM me about a comment I have made in a thread, I am not interested and will put you in my blocked list.

#17 User is offline   Random User 

• Random Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:54 AM

PluG, on Nov 15 2004, 02:40 AM, said:

But another question is:
What posses ppl to sign up with isp`s that have transfer limits?
View Post
Lack of choice. The only ISP connection around here with truly unlimited data transfer is 56k dialup (which could optimistically give you about 15GB/month transfer). High-speed access is readily available (both cable and DSL) at good speeds (my cable is roughly 3000/400), but monthly data transfer is always (at least at the ~10 ISPs I've searched through the fine print on) limited to somewhere between 10 and 30GB. The other option is to get a business data line installed and pay outrageous prices (compared to "home" connections).

#18 User is offline   crf 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:05 AM

36$ dollars/month. 1.5 Mb/600 kb
Telus ADSL
Victoria BC, canada
3 registered internet devices can share the connection ( so no routers are necessary, only a switch).

The service is acceptable. I have unlimited transfers both up and down, but the service contract specifies that they can be imposed at any time.

Canada could have as good a service as Sweden, since the fiber is all there (thanks to bankrupt companies like nortel). The telcos that bought this fiber are hoarding it in my opinion. It shouldn't cost them anything more to give 10 times the speeds to their residential customers, especially in big cities. It's a racket.

I take comfort in that I can pity the British though. My dad just got back from Scotland and he told me that everything there is twice the price as here and sometimes only half as good: it's not just broadband -- coffee, cigarettes, newspapers, hotel rooms, meals, cars -- everything is often nearly twice the price.

#19 User is offline   leexgx 

• UK MAD FOR LESS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2004 - 03:00 AM

yep :(
in and around

#20 User is offline   Whoelsebutme 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:11 AM

India. Stuck in Time

Limits here SUCK. Ppl don't know wht net is used for. IT revolution , my a$$.

read and laugh

http://broadband.sif..._pricelist.html

The "best package" costs over $100 US for a 2 GB limit at 256 kbps.

Only package with any value whtever is 128 kbps from 9 PM to 9 AM with No Limits.

Thts wht i use.

so technically speaking NO LIMITS

• Member Options

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users