• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Problematic Software List known interferences with eMule

#121 User is offline   DoctorYoda 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2004 - 07:52 PM

Anyone who has even seen me post anywhere before knows I have a long glorious tradition of responding to my own posts...

Sooo, forget Trillian. It's ok, I lowered the security zone on ZoneAlarm (free) to medium and Trillian/MSN straightened out.

Boy ZoneAlarm is a real dog with eMule isn't it. Maybe we can hope for an update...

#122 User is offline   Squeaky 

• Pip

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:48 AM

Hmm im unable to move the download limit from one to more or to even disable it please help

#123 User is offline   Hitchcock 

• Honor thy fodder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:19 PM

Software, how about hardware like the D-Link DI-604 router which acts like a brick wall when using eMule, though I never did try the DMZ option.

#124 User is offline   Hitchcock 

• Honor thy fodder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hmm im unable to move the download limit from one to more or to even disable it please help

Try changing the Capacities then.

#125 User is offline   hughwi 

• Pip

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:35 PM

I get a system lockup when i close Emule whilst running Norton System Works 2004 with the Anti-virus auto-protect enabled. A pop-up button appears saying that emule is waiting for a scan of "temporary filename" and then the system locks.

I have stopped this by disabling autoprotect, but i am looking for a llong-term more secure fix. Any ideas?

#126 User is offline   RX305 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:25 PM

Frage an alle Insider

Ich habe eMule v0.30e.
Ich finde das Programm einfach genial, wenn meine Freude nicht durch eine kreine Sache getrübt wird.
Ich bekomme in gewissen abständen eine Popup, eMule downzuloaden und einen gewissen Betrag zu Zahlen.

Soll das so sein ?!

Mfg Rx305 :cool2:

#127 Guest_DarkwingDuck_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:44 PM

RX305, on Mar 7 2004, 01:25 PM, said:

Frage an alle Insider

Ich habe eMule v0.30e.
Ich finde das Programm einfach genial, wenn meine Freude nicht durch eine kreine Sache getrübt wird.
Ich bekomme in gewissen abständen eine Popup, eMule downzuloaden und einen gewissen Betrag zu Zahlen.

Soll das so sein ?!

Mfg Rx305 :cool2:

Hi RX305

Leider bist Du in diesem Thread völlig falsch, denn hier werden Programme gelistet, die Probleme im Zusammenspiel mit dem eMule haben.

Dann schau zu Deinem Problem mal hier rein: http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=39037

...und ein Tip für die Zukunft:
erst orientieren, dann die Suche benutzen...

DWD

#128 User is offline   **weapon** 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:42 AM

:bounce: I also had problems running emule with zonealarm. My download speeds were rubbish for my connection and zonealarm uses too much juice.

I tried to configure zonealarm using all the tips in this forum and others, but although i got a slight improvement i was still having problems.

I agree that zonealarm is a good firewall but it does it's job a bit too well for p2p.

So i changed to sygate and instantly my download speeds doubled and i had no more frozen screens!!!

So happy days!!!

:clap:

#129 User is offline   adeusz 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:49 PM

node159, on Dec 7 2003, 09:33 AM, said:

General Firewall Info

eMule creates a lot of connections, this puts a heavy load on the networking subsystems and brings to light any problems/flaws that are inherent in the system. As a result a poorly made firewall/network stack will have any problems highlighted that may not show during ‘normal’ operation.

If your computer freezes and becomes unresponsive while running eMule it’s probably your firewall. This comes from a firewall that does not flush its connection table properly/at all, since most modern firewalls operate at a low level they will cause the operating system to halt while they inspect incoming packets and pass them on if they are ok. Normally this would happen very quickly and everything would be fine. But if the connection table becomes very large (like when eMule has been running for a while) and does not get flushed each packet that is inspected causes a pause on the system as the lookup time gets larger and larger.

A good firewall will flush TCP connections that have been closed and time out UTP 'connections'. This should result in a table that consists of only active connections. As a backup there should be a cleaner thread that goes through periodically invalidating and clearing entries that have not closed/timed out properly.

But alas, not all firewalls are created equal and as such most have problems dealing with eMule. Before you people who have ZA working fine harp up, be aware that the more connection that been created directly influences this behavior. So eMule may run fine if you have 2000 sources but may cause problems when you have 20,000, also factors such as max connections and connections per 5s can influence how many a created over a set period of time which determines the size of the connection table.

Also on another note, please be aware that some firewalls operate by use of virtual device driver, this results in the firewall client program to show no CPU usage, other like Norton have the main process doing the work and will show CPU usage.

PS: I’m a CompSci Major with a specialization in security so I sorta know what I’m talking about, but comments/criticism is most welcome.

so which firewall do you recommend?
i'm using mcafee and its causing problems you've talked about

#130 User is offline   Frazas 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

adeusz, on Mar 28 2004, 02:49 PM, said:

node159, on Dec 7 2003, 09:33 AM, said:

General Firewall Info

eMule creates a lot of connections, this puts a heavy load on the networking subsystems and brings to light any problems/flaws that are inherent in the system. As a result a poorly made firewall/network stack will have any problems highlighted that may not show during ‘normal’ operation.

If your computer freezes and becomes unresponsive while running eMule it’s probably your firewall. This comes from a firewall that does not flush its connection table properly/at all, since most modern firewalls operate at a low level they will cause the operating system to halt while they inspect incoming packets and pass them on if they are ok. Normally this would happen very quickly and everything would be fine. But if the connection table becomes very large (like when eMule has been running for a while) and does not get flushed each packet that is inspected causes a pause on the system as the lookup time gets larger and larger.

A good firewall will flush TCP connections that have been closed and time out UTP 'connections'. This should result in a table that consists of only active connections. As a backup there should be a cleaner thread that goes through periodically invalidating and clearing entries that have not closed/timed out properly.

But alas, not all firewalls are created equal and as such most have problems dealing with eMule. Before you people who have ZA working fine harp up, be aware that the more connection that been created directly influences this behavior. So eMule may run fine if you have 2000 sources but may cause problems when you have 20,000, also factors such as max connections and connections per 5s can influence how many a created over a set period of time which determines the size of the connection table.

Also on another note, please be aware that some firewalls operate by use of  virtual device driver, this results in the firewall client program to show no CPU usage, other like Norton have the main process doing the work and will show CPU usage.

PS: I’m a CompSci Major with a specialization in security so I sorta know what I’m talking about, but comments/criticism is most welcome.

so which firewall do you recommend?
i'm using mcafee and its causing problems you've talked about

Use kerio. Either the new version (4.0.13) or the old and simple, but very effective 2.1.5

#131 User is offline   Imi 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:17 PM

I'm currently using Outpost Firewall v1.0 (freeware) and Avast! Antivirus Home Edition v4.1 (freeware) with my Netgear RP614v2 router. So far no problems with eMuLe, BitTorent, KazaaLite, mIRC etc. Pretty low in resources for both apps. :thumbup:

#132 User is offline   Yogi2002 

• Pip

Posted 21 April 2004 - 05:19 PM

I've been using Zonealarm and have had some maylays with emule ...

On the new version ... I noticed that if I disable the Kad network (And restart emule) , VSMON doesn't go to high CPU use ...

OTherwise a restart of ZA is necessary ....

If anyone cracks the ZA/VSMON prob please beep me ... I'm almost ready to switch firewall ... (And I liked ZA very much ....) :cry2:

Thanx,
Yogi

#133 User is offline   raj 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:49 AM

Archmage, on Jan 20 2003, 05:55 PM, said:

Windows 98 + Windows ME. Any eMule version highter than 0.22c will bring you big problems, if you have this OS.

WHAT??? I'm using eMule 0.29, 0.30 and 0.42 on Win 98 without any problems!!!
What do you mean exactly?

#134 User is offline   ikke!!! 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:37 PM

hughwi, on Mar 6 2004, 02:35 PM, said:

I get a system lockup when i close Emule whilst running Norton System Works 2004 with the Anti-virus auto-protect enabled. A pop-up button appears saying that emule is waiting for a scan of "temporary filename" and then the system locks.

I have stopped this by disabling autoprotect, but i am looking for a llong-term more secure fix. Any ideas?

That one is easy :P . Just exclude eMule's "incoming" folder from virusscans... that is all...

cheers...

This post has been edited by ikke!!!: 27 April 2004 - 07:37 PM

#135 User is offline   Superlexx 

• noble steed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:30 AM

I had CPU usage peaks (full load for about 1-2 seconds) every 66 seconds (eMule cache size set to 1,5MB, at about 15kB/s). Troubles were caused by Norton Antivirus 2004 professional, solved by excluding the eMule directory (and its subdirectories) from auto-protect.

So yet another problem caused by the yellow antivirus.

#136 User is offline   Archimage 

• PipPip

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:31 PM

Store bought PCs.

From what I've read here people tend to overload there systems with excessive Pre-Emptive Multitasking(Having several programs doing things at once).

I have found E-Mule runs best with Win2k Pro. I run behind a Firewall, it is a low energy machine so power is'nt a problem, a small graphic card, sensible amount of RAM (256 DDR PC2700) and a Duron 1300 CPU & Hard Drive is 40Gb.

Software is a fully updated Win2k Professional with Zone Alarm(free) as an extra firewall. I use the Free Antivir Programm and Ad-Aware. Normal cpu usage 2%6% with a 25% memory load. It never lets me down. My fire wall causes it to drop out, but that is a separate issue.

The biggie I have foundd with E-Mule is the Win2k Services. Standard installations have everything but the kitchen sink set to automatically startup. There are plenty of guides for what actually needs to be running and what does'nt.

Some examples:

TCP/IP helper for NetBios
Message Service
ICS (about as crap as windows gets)
Telnet
Fax Service
DCOM (a subject in itself)

Try this approach and you'll find a more stable Windows running on your machine

More Stable Windows = More Stable E-Mule

#137 User is offline   George767 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

MORPHEUS
Clientport isnt open with morpheus

#138 User is offline   KTO 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

When F-Secure Internet Security 2004 is installed Emule is using 100% CPU a minute or two after start. I can't even kill the process, I have to press the reset button.

#139 User is offline   kinglear 

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:06 AM

I called norman virus control and tols them my problem with e-mule and their virus program. they developed a new scanengine and at the moment it works fine!!
No problems at all

#140 User is offline   KotaDude 

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2004 - 01:35 PM

FelipeFR, on Feb 3 2003, 03:58 PM, said:

Hi!

I am Brazilian and am having problems with eMule. In Windows XP when shutdown, the eMule not response and break...

What's is the problem?

Help-me...

:rolleyes: Thanx

---------------------------------
Translated with Google.com (Portuguese-Brazil > English)
View Post

Hi I have already answered this in English so, I'll do it in Portuguese 4 this Brazilian Dude. :xlaugh:

Sai do Emule.

Se ele ficar "pendurado", carrega ao mesmo tempo nas teclas Ctrl Alt Del escolhe "Gerenciador de Tarefas", e em "Tarefas" clica com o botão da direita do rato no Emule.exe e escolhe "Terminar tarefa".

Problema resolvido. :cool2:

• Member Options

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users