Official eMule-Board: Emule On Linux With Wine Mini-howto - Official eMule-Board

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Emule On Linux With Wine Mini-howto Fresh and up-to-the-minute

#261 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

View Postgav616, on Mar 8 2007, 05:53 AM, said:

the kad disconnecting bug has been in wine for ages
http://bugs.winehq.o...bug.cgi?id=5774

its like the devs dont wont to fix it.. :unsure:

its a shame coz i hate aMule..

I wasn't aware of that one, nobody reported it here and I've never had this problem with Kad myself under any version of Wine. I do use statically forwarded ports on my router, not UPNP or passive connections, so this may be why I'm not affected. Have you tried that?

I'll update the HowTo later with new info, thanks for the link.

#262 User is offline   gav616 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

View Postmindpirate, on Mar 8 2007, 09:58 PM, said:

View Postgav616, on Mar 8 2007, 05:53 AM, said:

the kad disconnecting bug has been in wine for ages
http://bugs.winehq.o...bug.cgi?id=5774

its like the devs dont wont to fix it.. :unsure:

its a shame coz i hate aMule..

I wasn't aware of that one, nobody reported it here and I've never had this problem with Kad myself under any version of Wine. I do use statically forwarded ports on my router, not UPNP or passive connections, so this may be why I'm not affected. Have you tried that?

I'll update the HowTo later with new info, thanks for the link.

well am on Ubuntu.. 4mb connection... dynamic IP... no rounter... no firewall and always had the problem..

i would seriously appreciate if u could give me detailed info on your 'working' setup.. finding a solution for this, would please me..alot

edit**

i think you should update your bugs list and temp fixes from, http://appdb.winehq....iVersionId=6167 (scroll)
and also add the side note about the crash bugs in 0.9.31 / 0.9.32.

This post has been edited by gav616: 08 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

#263 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

View Postgav616, on Mar 8 2007, 05:02 PM, said:

i would seriously appreciate if u could give me detailed info on your 'working' setup.. finding a solution for this, would please me..alot

I use the official Gentoo ebuilds of Wine, compiled on my x86 Gentoo boxes with standard compilation settings in make.conf and usually running under the latest Linux kernels available at the time (I like bleeding edge). And of course I always use the official eMule packages and install and configure them exactly as shown in the HowTo. I forward eMule's TCP and UDP ports on my custom-built Linux PC based router (AMD K6-2 233 MHz with 512 MB RAM, much more powerful than cheapo consumer grade routers), and I have a dynamic IP with my ISP (but in practice it rarely ever changes).

One thing to note regarding routers. Before I built my custom router a couple of years ago I was using a Netgear router. It didn't take me long to discover that it couldn't handle the amount of traffic that eMule was shoving through it, even when running eMule under Windows XP. It would start dropping packets and trash my connection. I found out that these kinds of routers (not just Netgear, but Linksys, D-Link, and the others) use seriously under-powered processors. They're fine for most consumer uses, but heavy networking applications like eMule are too much for them. Once I got rid of the Netgear and built a Linux router out of an old PC, eMule's been purring along nicely ever since.

Edit: Here's a couple more relevant eMule settings I use: Max sources/file -> Hard limit 500; Connection limits -> Max connections 400.

i think you should update your bugs list and temp fixes from, http://appdb.winehq....iVersionId=6167 (scroll)
and also add the side note about the crash bugs in 0.9.31 / 0.9.32.

Right, I'll look it over.

This post has been edited by mindpirate: 10 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

#264 User is offline   hszFS 

• PipPip

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

I have finally created a bugreport for the webinterface at the Wine bugzilla.
Everyone who has the problem please write a comment there to confirm it!

http://bugs.winehq.o...bug.cgi?id=7685

#265 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

HowTo updated with current Wine bugs and workarounds in the Known Issues section.

Thanks to everyone for reporting, and special thanks to Scott Ritchie for keeping on top of things over on Wine AppDB and Bugzilla.

#266 User is offline   gav616 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

March 16, 2007: Wine 0.9.33 Released

#267 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

View Postgav616, on Mar 17 2007, 12:09 PM, said:

March 16, 2007: Wine 0.9.33 Released

Please don't clutter this thread with new release notices. Wine releases have been regular for a while now, once every ~2.5 weeks, so we're already aware of them.

#268 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:56 AM

Remote web interface sessions are now fixed in Wine 0.9.34. Web interface sessions from localhost still have minor issues. See Wine Bug 7685.

#269 User is offline   O'Andy 

• Pip

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

I installed wine and emule smoothly on my Linux box. And I can run it well in x-windows.

But when I tried to use VNC to run emule from my windows-client, it doesn't work. It just show up with the splash window of the emule software and nothinf happens since that.

i run emule by execute: wine ~/.wine/.../emule.exe via my regular user account

Is this a vnc problem or wine problem?

anyone can help?

Thanks a lot

Andy

#270 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

View PostO, on Apr 15 2007, 10:07 AM, said:

But when I tried to use VNC to run emule from my windows-client, it doesn't work. It just show up with the splash window of the emule software and nothinf happens since that.

i run emule by execute: wine ~/.wine/.../emule.exe via my regular user account

Is this a vnc problem or wine problem?

How long are you waiting for eMule to come up after you see the splash screen?

I haven't tried eMule/Wine over VNC but I do occasionally use it over SSH with X-forwarding on my 100Mbps LAN, and it takes almost a full minute for eMule's interface to come up. It seems that painting Wine GUIs over the wire with the X protocol eats a ton of bandwidth, and since SSH X-forwarding is generally much faster than VNC, I would imagine it could take even longer than one minute for eMule to finally pop up in a VNC client, depending on your connection speed of course.

If I were you I'd give it 5 minutes. If it doesn't appear by then you may have other problems, like perhaps the splash screen does something funky to VNC's screen handling and it simply isn't refreshing the screen correctly.

#271 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:41 AM

Wine 0.9.37 seems to have fixed the remaining issues with eMule's web interface. Localhost sessions serve all images for me now, although I did have to enable Javascript in one of my test browsers which normally has Javascript disabled, because otherwise it behaves just as before. This makes me wonder if the same localhost issue exists on native Windows installations of eMule also.

Can anyone else confirm web interface sessions via localhost are working with Wine 0.9.37?

#272 User is offline   Keg of Beer 

• PipPip

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

The nasty Kad bug might have just become history :bounce:

I'm testing a patched 0.9.37 with eMule 0.47c, Kad has been running for almost a day with no breakdown whatsoever. If you are willing to build your own wine from source, you can find the patches here.

@mindpirate, I've never used the web interface over the loopback, but I've been using it a little over the LAN and never had a problem. At a glance, it seems to work over lo, too.

#273 User is offline   mjj2332 

• Pip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

hi, i'm using ubuntu 7.04, wine 0.937 + emule 0.83a

1.) The Web Interface has no problem now.

2.) If i restart emule, i'll get "Low-id" instead of "High-id".
a) i guess the port is reserved by the last session, so i did winserver -k, winserver -w, and i'll get "high-id" sometime.....
B) if i logout and login (Gnome), i'll get "high-id"

This post has been edited by mjj2332: 15 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

#274 User is offline   Keg of Beer 

• PipPip

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

View Postmjj2332, on May 15 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

2.) If i restart emule, i'll get "Low-id" instead of "High-id".

I noticed something like that, too. Check your log, you should find an error about eMule not being able to create the TCP socket. I usually wait some minutes before restarting eMule because of this, however filing a bug report is probably the best thing to do.

#275 User is offline   Keg of Beer 

• PipPip

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

Quick HOW-TO, compile a patched Wine:
Revision 0.3 - 2007/06/06
  • Get the Wine source, click on this link and select the last Wine version: the patches are known to succesfully apply on top of 0.9.37 and 0.9.38.
  • To prepare the source tree, you will have to unpack the source tar bundle: the standard way for Debian and Debian-based distros (as Ubuntu), is to unpack the source in /usr/src.
    You can unpack to other directories as well; acceptable choices are /tmp and your home directory (~ or /home/joeuser). If you use /tmp, be aware that the system will automatically erase its contents after some time; in that case, it's better if you don't mv the tar bundle to tmp, or it will be deleted, too. Even if you don't need super-user privileges to build in those directories, you will still need them to install the binaries.
    • sudo mv wine-0.9.XX.tar.bz2 /usr/src

• cd /usr/src; sudo tar xfj wine-0.9.XX.tar.bz2

• cd wine-0.9.XX
    If you copy/paste the commands, remember to replace XX with the correct version number!
  • Now grab the patches; click on the links below then select Files -> Save Page As for both the patches, this way they should be correctly named.
  • Apply the patches; the following assumes you have downloaded the patches in your home directory (if not, change the commands accordingly):
    • sudo mv ~/wineserver_udp.patch .

• sudo mv ~/select.patch .

• patch -p1 < wineserver_udp.patch

• patch -p1 < select.patch

• And build Wine:
    • ./configure

• make depend; make

• If you have an old version of wine installed, then remove it using the package management tools provided by your distro. On Debian you simply issue the following command:
    sudo apt-get remove wine

• Finally you can install your brand-new, fixed Wine:
    make install
When you think you're done tinkering, you can make clean the wine tree. But keep it in place in case you want to make uninstall it later.

If you prefer to use your distro's package management tools, you can obtain a Debian .deb bundle or an RPM using checkinstall. This takes a little longer than just using make install/uninstall but is cleaner; you should also be aware that checkinstall isn't perfect and you might encounter problems that the 'make install' method does not have.

Disclaimer:
This should work fine on Debian etch and lenny. Different distros might need different commands. If you don't have sudo installed on your system you might have to install and set it up, or resort to use su. This quick how-to was quickly written and without a unix shell in front of me, so it might contain errors.

0.1 - original post
0.1.1 - fixed non working links.
0.1.2 - fixed non working patch commands.
0.2, added a short paragraph on using package management via the checkinstall hack.
0.3, added more places to extract the source bundle, known version to work with the patches, several little fixes.

This post has been edited by Keg of Beer: 06 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

#276 User is offline   feua 

• Pip

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi guys

surfing the web I found this topic...

I'm glad to inform you that I'm using ubuntu 7.04 with wine 0.9.37 standard (not patched) and I can confirm that the webadmin is now ok. Kademila hangs up after some time...

I hope the patches will be included in the next version of wine.

#277 User is offline   whitebirdy 

• Pip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

eMule does not minimize to tray when run with wine, neither does the uTorrent

However, uTorrent's "Close To Tray" works properly. I wonder if it's possible or not for eMule to add a new option "close to tray" as well in the future version.

Besides it can help wine to run eMule more smoothly, I think "close to tray" is a very useful feature for Windows user's too.

#278 User is offline   mindpirate 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

View Postwhitebirdy, on May 27 2007, 09:47 AM, said:

eMule does not minimize to tray when run with wine, neither does the uTorrent

However, uTorrent's "Close To Tray" works properly.

This is already addressed in Wine bug 5844 as pointed to in the Known Issues section of the HowTo.

Besides it can help wine to run eMule more smoothly, I think "close to tray" is a very useful feature for Windows user's too.

The eMule developers have been silent for a couple of years on the subject of eMule-Wine interoperability (see the first page of this thread), so I don't think adding more features to eMule to make things easier on Wine users is on their priority list at all.

Regardless of Wine issues, I would like to see a "Close window minimizes to tray" option in eMule. It'd be pretty useful on all platforms.

#279 User is offline   gav616 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:06 PM

when i try patching the source it just hangs and does nothing, no errors, nothing...

#280 User is offline   Keg of Beer 

• PipPip

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

Right mindpirate, I edited the post to fix the patch commands.

At the moment, Wine coordinator Alexandre Julliard has refused the inclusion of the patch which will make Kad work as expected. We're still trying to figure out a way to have it included, but most likely it won't be in 0.9.38. If you are interested in having this bug fixed, you can visit bugzilla and vote for it (you may have to register in order to do so). Don't know if it will really make a difference, but it's always good to show there's interest.

• Member Options

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users