• +
  • Last »

Blueyonder Revalation

#1 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 31 January 2004 - 07:02 PM

For the past month or so I have been suffering from crap download performance from various eMule mods, whereas prior to that, download speeds were fine. Things got so bad that I even considered using OverNET :shock:

As a last ditch straw clutching exercise, I tried increasing all of the eMule port numbers by 5000 from their default values, after first opening them up on my DSL router.

Revalation! Download performance immediately shot back up to pre-December levels and beyond (I am talking about an eight-fold increase in download speed within 15 minutes of starting, compared to what I was getting after over 24hrs running!!!) :clap:

I conclude from this that BlueYonder must be blocking or at least restricting traffic on the default eMule ports. :angry:

Other BY users in the UK should take note. ;)

This post has been edited by Yemble: 31 January 2004 - 07:23 PM

See all, hear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt. And If tha does owt for nowt, alus do it for thisen!

#2 User is offline   rwolf969 

• Wolf inside
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:39 PM

Servers have been warning ya since a long time ago. Didn't you read the server messages? :lol:

#3 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 31 January 2004 - 09:22 PM

Nope, not seen any messages relating to BY blocking ports at all. In fact, a trawl though the Net with Copernic revealled no information either.

To which particular servers are you referring?
See all, hear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, pay nowt. And If tha does owt for nowt, alus do it for thisen!

#4 User is offline   rwolf969 

• Wolf inside
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

Well, I'm referring to the Lugdunum server software, this means the major servers. I think there have been posts here as well.

This has been introduced with the 16.41 server software:

A new parameter (msgrandomport=true) can ask eserver to send messages to clients using the default 4662 port

Anyway it does not matter, right now.

#5 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 31 January 2004 - 11:14 PM

OK, now you've got me intrigued...

...are you suggesting that my recent dire eMule download performance is purely due to Lugdunum servers >=16.41 sending crap to port 4662?

...or are they probing port 4662 for a response and then blacklisting the client if it does respond?

Surely not? I must have misunderstood you? :shock:

PS. Who the bothers to read the release notes for the servers? Most of us punters are only interested in the client side of things!

#6 User is offline   rwolf969 

• Wolf inside
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2004 - 11:35 PM

No, no, no!

Servers do not send anything to port 4662.

Let's start from scratch :lol:

- It has been brought to the public attention that some ISPs were throttling default p2p ports (for eMule, the 4662 one)

- Lugdunum then added a setting to his server software, in order to give the server operators the ability to warn their users, issuing a message in the "serverinfo" window

- Several servers actually issued those messages to users running their clients on the default port

That's about it, just a warning to users that their ISP could have been one of the bunch throttling the default ports. Nobody knew the names of the ISP actually using that technique.

Just a warning.

It's quite weird that you never got that message. Many did.

#7 User is offline   Skyw4lker 

• ^__^
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:25 AM

Byte Devils

This server gives you a warning message. Try it!

cya Skyw4lker

#8 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:29 AM

:lol: Ahhh now I understand....

....so that would be the message that I've been ignoring for the past few weeks :-k

Trouble is, of course, that many of the server connection messages are just full of crap and generally in languages that I cannot read (ie. not English).

For example: ByteDevils gives you:

Hallo Leute,
ein Tipp: schaut mal auf http://www.bytedevils.net/?90 und staubt eine Menge
Proben ab. Ich bin bereits seit vier Monaten dabei und habe einiges bekommen:
die neuesten Spiele (unter anderem "Tony Hawk's Underground"), aktuelle
Sampler (letztens die "Bravo The Hits 2003") und vieles mehr. Das Beste war
(haltet Euch fest) ein neuer Computer. Darauf habe ich für einen Hersteller
ein paar Spiele spielen und bewerten dürfen. Nachher durfte ich mir den
Computer behalten. Die Chance bekommt Ihr nicht so schnell wieder.
Also schaut hin:
http://www.bytedevils.net/?90
Euer Richie

None of which I can read.

Still, don't you think that this should be pointed out in big red letters under the "Why are my downloads so slow" sticky thread?

Thanks for the explanation :+1:

This post has been edited by Yemble: 01 February 2004 - 08:32 AM

#9 User is offline   Tom Whitaker 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:20 AM

So what should I do?

Is it a 4662 on the actual server that should concern me?

Or is it the Clientport/TCP setting of 4662 in my own preferences that I need to change?

#10 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:30 AM

Tom,

In the Connections tab under Preferences you can set the TCP and UDP ports for the client port and the UDP port for Kadmilia. I've set mine to 9662, 9672 and 9673 respectively (although you can pick just about any port numbers you like). Just remember that you need to allow traffic through your firewall for the ports you choose (if you have one).

#11 User is offline   Dark Reality 

• PipPip

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:12 PM

Ha ha, came here from the other forum. The sticky one. Some good laughs here.

Yemble is correct; more often than not, server notes are in a language other than English.

Forgive me as I do not know anything about how the eMule server software works, but perhaps it could be suggested that the server broadcast its note to an http based server (such as something Google ar Altavista might have) which translates it into say, 10 major languages. A simple change in eMule (0.30f suggestion!) would ask the user for a language at install, and for current users (upgrades) the selection could be made in the first tab on Preferences.

I am aware online translators are shabby - "All your base are belong to us!", for example - but as with that phrase, it is easy to figure out that the player is saying "Your base belongs to us." So in effect, the message has gotten across. Especially in such a case where UK users of a certain ISP can be blocked from eMule, yet they can get around it by changing a couple digits in a couple different programs - I think that it is important, if not critical, that we get this information to them, so that they can contribute to our network once again.

I suppose I will be back here if this screws up my eMule. But right now, it is downloading at a rate of 0.0, so I haven't got much to lose. ;)

#12 User is offline   rwolf969 

• Wolf inside
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:15 PM

@Dark Reality

Yemble quoted a message that has nothing to do with the warning about default ports. All the messages that have been reported around and the few I've seen myself were in English.

I won't comment on your idea since none of us develops the server software, however I would ask you to change your signature, since it breaks the forum layout.

If you want to advertise yourself, you may consider buying the first page of the "New York Post" or whatever your favourite newspaper is :lol:

#13 User is offline   K_Logic 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:54 PM

hey i spoke to a BY tech the other week and he said they dont block there ports but BT and NTL do :thumbup:

#14 User is offline   hypnotoad 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

Surely ISP's throttling ports is unfair to the consumer who pay for their bandwidth and are entitled to use whicever ports they feel like and using as much bandwidth as there contract with their ISP allows.

If it could be proven that individuals are using these ports (via a peer-to peer app, obviosly) for the purpose of downloading / distributing of copyrighted material then maybe an ISP would be allowed to block certain ports which the IP address' which were proved to be sharing illegally were using.

How can an ISP knowingly throttle the amount of bandwidth (and therefore possibly breaking their side of the contract with the consumer) without having any specefic proof??

Fucking corporate bastards

:furious: :furious:

#15 User is offline   velcrom 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:08 PM

Coincidence ?

My eMule had slowed right up and was in danger of grinding to a halt. Then I switched port to one which is mainly used for gaming - Kerching :+1: eMule returns to big bad boy size download speeds.

#16 User is offline   Tranq 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:59 AM

I must admit, I had noticed these messages (about changing ports), but never did anything about it. People were downloading from me fine, I was downloading fine.

Then, yesterday, I noticed that things were slowing up, and a couple of hours ago everything just stoppped. No action whatsoever. Sure, people could still get stuff from me, but I couldn't get anything for myself.

So I came here for answers. Within a couple of minutes, I found this thread. I changed my port numbers. First try, when connecting to a server, it said my port couldn't be reached. Second try... wow. It literally took ten seconds to start downloading one particular file at 10KBs. Things are running great now (to my relief. I had a few big files at 95% complete plus).

I guess that will teach me to take notice of what I see in the server information in the future!

#17 User is offline   Yemble 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:04 AM

K_Logic, on Feb 3 2004, 04:54 PM, said:

hey i spoke to a BY tech the other week and he said they dont block there ports but BT and NTL do :thumbup:

Well that's what I was led to believe as well...

...however, the fact remains that changing the port numbers for me resulted in an eight-fold increase in DL/UL performance. This performance increase has been maintained ever since.

So I guess that your BY techie is not fully informed! :-k

#18 User is offline   wakey 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:40 AM

K_Logic, on Feb 3 2004, 04:54 PM, said:

Typical deflection tactic by BY there by accusing other ISP's of doing it, I can tell you NTL certainly arent as i'm getting throughput of 65kB/s on default NTL ports

#19 User is offline   mono_t 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:18 PM

Hi all

I read through the sticky thread 'why does my download rate suck' because I... well... thought my download rate sucked :huh: and was 'redirected' to this thread by one of the posts...

Even though I live in Denmark, and have never heard of BlueYonder, I decided to try switching ports to the said 9661 and 9672. And guess what? Something changed :+1:

My download rate yesterday was just 15 kb/s (i have a 512/128) after around 18 hours. Right now, after just 3 hours, it's 30 kb/s. If it's a coincidence, it's a freaky one. I've never been up there before...

Well, just wanted to share this experience :)

Regards

Claus Petersen

#20 User is offline   slowsilver 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:04 PM

What's there to understand:

Ger: die neuesten Spiele (unter anderem "Tony Hawk's Underground")...
Eng: you're getting shitty download 'cause your ISP...

Ger: (letztens die "Bravo The Hits 2003")...
Eng: blocks port 4226...

You do note that due to obvious grammar differences this is much shorter to say in English for which reason English should be to conserve bandwidth used (note verb at the end to preserve the right feeling). :P
Some files are rare because nobody wants them.

eMule has enough anti-corruption measures.
-- SF, Oct 30 2005, 07:08 PM

• Member Options

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users