Official eMule-Board: Windows Xp/2000 Crashes - Official eMule-Board

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Windows Xp/2000 Crashes while using eMule ?

#41 User is offline   daboetz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:01 AM

I had the same problem with the 0.42d version, until I read the error report that said something about ntdll.dll. So i went looking for it, found it in the windows/system32 folder and moved it to another folder. I don't recommend this, tho, because dll's are critical files for running your computer.

#42 User is offline   paulocentro 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:00 AM

Sony666, on Jan 9 2004, 10:38 PM, said:

Hi,

if you are experiencing system crahes (blue screen of death, reboot) with Windows XP or Windows 2000 while running eMule, please do the following:

-remove all firewall software from the computer, or disable them. (Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm etc.)

-turn off "live/realtime/auto-protect" AntiVirus scanners

-uninstall any proxy software you might be using, especially Pasakche, which is incompatible with edonkey clients

If all those don't help:

-download and install the latest drivers for your network card or (USB) modem.
-do not overclock any of your system components

If that fails, too, please understand this:

eMule itself can not make Windows XP/2000 crash. Ever.

eMule is a high level application that is terminated by the operating system if it causes an error.

Only low level drivers (network card, virus scanner, firewall etc) can crash WIndows XP/2000 to BlueScreen-Reboot.

Even if the problem only occurs when you run eMule, there is nothing we can do about it. Something is not right with your setup. Sorry :)

não consigo abrir o emule. ele trava e o win2000 o fecha. q pode estar acontecendo? até ontem ele tava normal. já o reinstalei e acabei perdendo meus créditos. como faço para recuperá-los? e como faço para ele voltar a ficar estável? será q foi pq eu instalei um cliente bit torrent e ous os dois operando ao mesmo tempo? por favor me ajudem!

#43 User is offline   Sony666 

• Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Tester

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:23 AM

Sadly, the Portugese language is not among my otherwise impressive skill set. It looks nice though.

#44 User is offline   daboetz 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:27 AM

I'm sorry guys and girls,
the solution didn't work in the end. I'm just gonna download version 0.30.

#45 User is offline   tartufo 

• Pip

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:53 AM

future.former, on Mar 12 2004, 08:11 PM, said:

i have the same problems as the other win xp users:

crashes with bluescreens & directly reboots... :o(

the blue screens show: pfn_list_corrupt oder irql_less_or_not_equal

when a firewall is working in background often the firewall-driver occurs the "blue valley".

now i disabled the firewall (kerio) and antivir, updated my network-drivers, checked ram, all system settings, bios and completely removed all pci-devices from the slots, but the crashes are still coming, not so often like before,but they are coming.

so, the problem only occurs when emule is running... :o( my hardware is working very stable without running emule, even when it's hard stressed.

some days my emule is running for 72 hours without any crashes, and i was hard working the same time on the machine (videorendering, gaming, music production, internet). yesterday, emule has been crashin' down my system for more than 5 times, today it was 3 times...!!!

i am using v0.42d under windows xp pro sp1 with the newest updates availlable on a supermicro dual pIII-servermainboard with alot of onboard komponents (scsi, sound, network) & my hardware-firewall is well configured.

my old motherboard was equiped with an isa-networkcard-chipset from ne2000 = no problems. the new board has an intel pro 10/100 onboard-device.

now i am on experience with connection-settings in emule - perhaps there is the problem ? i will try out 10/100 up to 50/500. i think it's a "connection-overflow"-bug (can we call it like this ?) that causes sme networking devices to write into wrong memory-adresses.

any suggestions ?

future.former

Hi!
I am having the same problems.. But it happens since I have changed motherboard... Blue screen appear using nForce2 chipset and NEVER with VIA KT600... The hardware, softw and network config are exactly the same.. I begin to think it's something related with the chipset.. nForce 2 is known to give a lot of problems.. Poor me! :confused:
I will try to install eMulePlus
Bye everyone
Valentino

#46 User is offline   shaolin_punk 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:32 PM

not to disrespect the dev team but i think i agree that version .42d is causing these system crashes. i'm using win 2000, and version .3x worked great. i formatted and reinstalled for reasons not related to emule and upgraded to .42d soon after i unstalled a fresh version of windows. soon, the problem arose. i got random lock-ups, reboots, and the occaisonal blue screen. suddenly i remembered i didn't install a service pack after i reinstalled my os, so i got a hold of sp4 and installed that. didn't help. i reverted to emule .30 and that worked.
now, when i'm lucky enough to get a blue screen, it's invariably irql_not_less_or_equal, and refers to the file ndis.sys. this was updated in service pack 4, so i extracted a new version from my install cd. didn't help. i've also left my computer on while browsing the interenet, checking mail, using photoshop, et cetera with emule .42d installed but not running, and no crashes.
i've picked up a few ideas here, such as checking my ram, that i'll try. however, based on my experience, i must insist that the new version of emule is causing these crashes, indirectly or otherwise.

well, thanks for letting me rant
shaolin punk

#47 User is offline   donq 

• ya member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2004 - 06:53 PM

shaolin_punk, on Mar 27 2004, 08:32 PM, said:

now, when i'm lucky enough to get a blue screen, it's invariably irql_not_less_or_equal, and refers to the file ndis.sys.

This is 99% network driver problem - ndis.sys is host of windows network drivers, using shared memory with these, thereby driver faults usually pop up as ndis.sys crashes.
If you want to solve your eMule 0.42d problems, tell, what hardware (mobo, netcard) you're using (create new topic in support forum).

@tartufo:
Don't blame nForce2 chipset (my nForce2 based pc doesn't give me any errors, so are working well many others nForce2 pc's :)) Did you install clean XP after changing motherboard? Do you use latest BIOS and drivers for it? Do you have lot of USB devices?
I'm using to surf on :)

#48 User is offline   damian2003 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:00 PM

Hi, greetings from Argentina. Like lots of people out there I've been experiencing constant crashes while using eMule 0.42d (the infamous IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash) but I've found a way to make it stop.

For several months now I've been using an ADSL connection, my ISP gave me a USB Modem which worked perfectly until a few weeks ago when it suddenly died. My ISP then replaced this modem with a different one, also USB. Here's when the problems began. I tried to do everything that was suggested in this forum, including:

* Replacing or updating drivers (haven't been able to find updated drivers for the Globespanvirata HSA100 modem... heck I couldn't even find for download the same drivers I got on the CD that came with the modem)
* Checking for IRQ and USB conflicts
* Checking for bad hardware (memory banks, HDD)
* Disabling or uninstalling certain resident software, like firewalls and antivirus
* Reinstalling Windows XP and applying all the available patches
* Tweaking parameters inside eMule, like Max Connections, Sources per File or Upload Capacity

In the end, what worked for me is limiting my downloads to one download at a time. I know many people may not like this solution at all, but hey, at least it's not crashing anymore and it may take you a bit longer, but you'll still be able to complete your downloads (this worked charms in my case, finally I can leave eMule running at night again).

Of course, maybe if I had better drivers for this modem the crashes would not happen at all, but since I'm stuck with this obscure device, this is the only solution I've been able to find. I'm guessing it must be a flaw in the drivers for this modem that make it unable to handle above a certain number of simultaneous connections... since the crashes always seemed to happen after eMule had been running for a while, and dozens of sources were available for each file I was downloading. But that's just a wild guess.

Also, the eMule dev team is right about this: it's not eMule that crashes Windows, it's certainly something else (most likely a driver issue)... I tested other P2P applications (which had no relation to eMule or the eDonkey network) and caused the exact same crash in my case.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you... what's the point of having a broadband connection if you can't use eMule, right? :D

See ya,

Damian.

#49 User is offline   dna67 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:30 AM

donq, on Mar 27 2004, 06:53 PM, said:

shaolin_punk, on Mar 27 2004, 08:32 PM, said:

now, when i'm lucky enough to get a blue screen, it's invariably irql_not_less_or_equal, and refers to the file ndis.sys.

This is 99% network driver problem - ndis.sys is host of windows network drivers, using shared memory with these, thereby driver faults usually pop up as ndis.sys crashes.
If you want to solve your eMule 0.42d problems, tell, what hardware (mobo, netcard) you're using (create new topic in support forum).

I've got a compaq nx7000 with a built-in RTL 8139 C+, driver version 5.505.1004,2002. Its the original driver that came with winxp sp1. I also have a inactive Intel PRO Wireless LAN 2100 3B minipci adapter. My computer absolutly refused 0.42d as I wrote in my first post in this thread.

#50 User is offline   Transensei 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:40 AM

*** Problem ***

Windows XP blue screen crashes while running Emule or Overnet. Errors reported with "NDIS.sys" and sometimes also "Driver IRQL_NOT_Less_or_equal".

*** Solution ***

Uninstall the update "Windows XP Hotfix - KB826942".

--- How To ---

Click <start>, then <Control Panel>, then <Add or Remove Programs>, scroll down the list until you find the update, select it, then click <Remove>.

Or: Go to "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB826942$\spuninst" to unistall the update.

Explanation

NDIS.sys version 5.1.2600.1254 (xpsp2.030801-1834) is installed with Update for Microsoft Windows XP: KB826942 issued on 10/31/2003. It provides support for Wireless Protected Access. See http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) is used by Windows for Network control. http://www.microsoft...rk/default.mspx

Unistalling the update rolls NDIS.sys back to the previously installed version which does not lead to crashes when Emule or Overnet are running.

Analysis of system logs should reveal that systems running Emule or Overnet for a long time only to suddenly start experiencing crashes should find that the crashes only started after this update was applied. Ironically, a clean reinstallation of Windows on a previously affected system usually leads to the same problem, since most people install the recommended updates at that time. NDIS has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers, so people who have altered or changed theirs should revert to their previous ones.

#51 User is offline   Stingering 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:27 PM

I tried this, but when removing update, appears varios errors in the system, having that to return it installs it it

#52 User is offline   lynchpin 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:13 PM

yep, I was getting blue screens, loss of internet connection, emule crashing - I went back to 40f.26-LSD 15c-AMD - no problems at all now - running Sygate. SAV corporate and Router..

This post has been edited by lynchpin: 03 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

#53 User is offline   brain3k 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:45 AM

I installed emule, and it ran for 15 minutes; then my windows 2000 computer, which has been running like a dream for 6 months, suddenly gave me its first blue screen of death, dumped memory, and restarted to a page fault in ntoskrnl.exe. Yep, emule (ok, to be fair, something that emule did, probably not emule directly) corrupted my windows install. This happened to anybody else? Unscheduled formats are not exactly my idea of a good time.
Maybe us win2k/XP users should get a little warning before we download that there may be some driver issues with these operating systems? I don't think just saying "well.. technically emule isn't crashing your computer, your drivers are" in the forum is not really good enough. Thats like saying "the terrorist didn't blow up that building, the bomb did!".
Just my two cents.

*returns to formatting* <_<

*edit* Got the thing running again.. Yep.. Pulled out my ethernet card, put in a new one, and the computer started up again :thumbup:
Why exactly putting emule in nessesitated that i have no idea; guess i should just be glad i had an extra card on me.

This post has been edited by brain3k: 04 April 2004 - 03:46 PM

#54 User is offline   damian2003 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:06 PM

Transensei, on Apr 3 2004, 10:40 AM, said:

*** Problem ***

Windows XP blue screen crashes while running Emule or Overnet. Errors reported with "NDIS.sys" and sometimes also "Driver IRQL_NOT_Less_or_equal".

*** Solution ***

Uninstall the update "Windows XP Hotfix - KB826942".

--- How To ---

Click <start>, then <Control Panel>, then <Add or Remove Programs>, scroll down the list until you find the update, select it, then click <Remove>.

Or: Go to "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB826942$\spuninst" to unistall the update.

Explanation

NDIS.sys version 5.1.2600.1254 (xpsp2.030801-1834) is installed with Update for Microsoft Windows XP: KB826942 issued on 10/31/2003. It provides support for Wireless Protected Access. See http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) is used by Windows for Network control. http://www.microsoft...rk/default.mspx

Unistalling the update rolls NDIS.sys back to the previously installed version which does not lead to crashes when Emule or Overnet are running.

Analysis of system logs should reveal that systems running Emule or Overnet for a long time only to suddenly start experiencing crashes should find that the crashes only started after this update was applied. Ironically, a clean reinstallation of Windows on a previously affected system usually leads to the same problem, since most people install the recommended updates at that time. NDIS has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers, so people who have altered or changed theirs should revert to their previous ones.

That didn't work for me at all. I've just uninstalled KB826942, rebooted, fired up eMule, resumed two downloads, and in a matter of minutes I got the same old crash.

Thanks anyway, it could have worked (at least it made sense). So far, the only solution I've found is, like I said in a previous post, one download at a time.

#55 User is offline   dna67 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:15 PM

Hi
Removing KB826942 did not solve the 0.42 problems for me, I havn't had any BSOD yet but as soon as I start emule, all my network activity goes down, just like somone had pulled the plugg (except there isn't a annoying popup telling me that the network cable is unplugged), after a few sec it starts working again and then everything dies again. Work, doesn't work, work, doesn't work... When i start 0.30e, the connection is rock solid. And I don't mean the internet connection is switched on and off, its all traffic on the NIC, even to my other computer on the same switch so I can't blame my ISP.

This post has been edited by dna67: 05 April 2004 - 02:18 PM

#56 User is offline   donq 

• ya member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:27 PM

@dna67

If you wish to experiment, try XP drivers from Realtek 8139C+ download page (you may use full installer from there). They are newer than XP ones. If they don't work or have more problems - you always can rollback driver with XP. I would be interested in results...

#57 User is offline   HotDJDave 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:27 AM

Man, I was planning to update my OS from Me (which I hate) to 2000. Is this going to be a problem?

#58 User is offline   donq 

• ya member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

HotDJDave, on Apr 9 2004, 09:27 AM, said:

Man, I was planning to update my OS from Me (which I hate) to 2000.  Is this going to be a problem?

Usually not, but depends on your PC hardware. If you have enough room on your HDD and at least two partitions (drive letters), install clean W2000 besides the WinMe, into another partition. This way you can always use your old system, if W2000 has problems.

#59 User is offline   Makc666 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:47 AM

Hellow all. I join this topic also and will try to tell you about my experience.

1 day ago I was using Norton Internet Security 2004.
And just now I have McAfee Internet Security Suite v6.00.

Some words about Norton Internet Security 2004.
Some days ago it begin crashes. I don't remember exact day, but I think they started after I updated eMule to 0.42e.
How it crashes. I have Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security 2004.
Norton's CORE crashed. So I can't start Norton Antivirus until I reboot. And Norton Internet Security 2004 worked some how strange. Then I Uninstall (with reboot) Norton Antivirus so only Norton Internet Security 2004 left.
But the core crashed the same way. So the problem was with Norton Internet Security 2004.
Then I uninstalled it.

Then I install ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0.556.003 Beta. All works Ok. But when I start eMule - system works 2-3 minutes and then all programs stop responding. I even can't restart windows. Have to press Reset Button.

Ok. Then I uninstall ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0.556.003 Beta.

And install McAfee Internet Security Suite v6.00.
Also all works ok. But when I start eMule. First 3-5 minutes was ok. But then suddenly my ICQ, ssh client, FTP program, eMule itself, download manager get disconnected from internet. Also I get 3 time Blue Screens. All were some how connected with eMule started.

I chatted today with McAfee tech support for 2-3 hours. They recommend me to change my Security Level in Personal Firewall to "Trusting Security". I also try to reduce connections in eMule to 200. But before I had 6000 and no problems.

So as for me I think it is some how connected with requests. As we now when we start eMule we begin to get a lot of requests to 4662 port. And as I noticed as for Norton Internet Security, as for ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro, as for McAfee Internet Security Suite SOME TIME HAS TO PASS before user will begin to experience problems. Then it means that something is just over run or over buffered in firewall or some where else.. So there is a real conflict of eMule and firewalls!

For example now I didn't get any disconnects of eMule. But I have 2 disconnects of ICQ.

Will continue testing.

#60 User is offline   apple3.14 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:25 AM

A recent change has made kad incompatable with my pc. It's either a new version of emule or an updated Intel Pro 100 driver that came from Microsoft.
If I have Kad enabled, I will get a blue screen complaining about symdns.sys which is a part of of Norton Internet Security.

I'll let you all know if i find a solution moe useful than disabling kad. :-)

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users