Official eMule-Board: Windows Xp/2000 Crashes - Official eMule-Board

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Windows Xp/2000 Crashes while using eMule ?

#1 User is offline   Sony666 

• Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Tester

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

Hi,

if you are experiencing system crahes (blue screen of death, reboot) with Windows XP or Windows 2000 while running eMule, please do the following:

-remove all firewall software from the computer, or disable them. (Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm etc.)

-turn off "live/realtime/auto-protect" AntiVirus scanners

-uninstall any proxy software you might be using, especially Pasakche, which is incompatible with edonkey clients

If all those don't help:

-download and install the latest drivers for your network card or (USB) modem.
-do not overclock any of your system components

If that fails, too, please understand this:

eMule itself can not make Windows XP/2000 crash. Ever.

eMule is a high level application that is terminated by the operating system if it causes an error.

Only low level drivers (network card, virus scanner, firewall etc) can crash WIndows XP/2000 to BlueScreen-Reboot.

Even if the problem only occurs when you run eMule, there is nothing we can do about it. Something is not right with your setup. Sorry :)

#2 User is offline   waynebike 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:41 PM

good to know, thanks for the info!
Please Visit eMuleHelp.tk For eMule help!

#3 User is offline   Sony666 

• Size matters not! Judge me by my size, do you?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Tester

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:55 PM

Oh yeah, please no unsupported stuff (Windows 2003, XP SP2 beta) or Win 98/ME here :)

#4 User is offline   wbarber69 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:37 AM

Danzing rulez

#5 User is offline   ibop 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:25 AM

I had trouble with eMule crashing in windows XP, so i ran a full disk check and reinstalled and it has run fine since

#6 User is offline   Stoepsel 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

And just for the fun of it (and speaking from recent personal experience), try running a thorough RAM test. I'd suggest using the free tool over at http://www.memtest86.com/.

I had intermittent BSoDs that didn't go away with installing newer drivers or checking for shared IRQ conflicts. Now after removing (and eventually replacing) the faulty stick of RAM, I'm trouble-free for over week with the computer running 24h a day. *knocks on wood*

Stoepsel

This post has been edited by Stoepsel: 17 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

It said: "Insert disk #3 into drive...", but only 2 will fit...?!?

#7 User is offline   smw18 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:35 PM

Hi i know this may off on a slight tangent but still i have a simular problem i am running xp with a 1meg connection the problem is that after i have been on line for a while my connection drops off but my modem is still on line so i have to reboot everything again to get it back which is a pain in the ar*e.
Does this happen to anyone else and is it my isp or an o/s problem
any ideas on this would be most helpful :(

#8 User is offline   cowkiller 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:32 PM

you wouldn't by any chance be using charter would you, in their software there is a cfd.exe file that if you get to cruising allong a bit too well it reports back to main server and the server sends back a message to another file called powder kegg, and thing realy slow down, i use zone alarm and thats how i found it. i dissalowd the cfd to connect to internet, my speeds would just about tripple.

#9 User is offline   allan2082 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:14 AM

HI all!!! :worthy:

You all must be bored of hearing people like me ranting and waving for help on emule. I am new to emule and Its been fine at the mo with its downloads but I have been experiencing blue screen crashes with Windows Xp. I leave my Pc on about 10 hours a day sometimes and I get the occasional blue crashes and the PC stops working for like a day and only shows a blue screen then reverts back to normal.
My settings at the moment is ( I use a BT Voyager USB Modem, on Virgin Broadband by the way)

Download : 72 Limit, 70
Upload : 30 Limit 30

Client port

Tcp: 20042
UDP: 30

Max sources per file, Hard limit: 2000
Connections limits: 10000

Extended settings
Buffer size set at 15000
Queue size set at 2000

I’ve tested my broadband connection, turned off windows xp’s firewall, auto protect and live update on Norton antivirus, anything else I can do???
I am open for all suggestions. Please help!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#10 User is offline   1jx3pu220 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:31 AM

I'm fully aware that the solution I've found could not fit for everyone, but I'd like to post it anyway.
I've experienced LOTS of crashes every day when running emule both on win2000/xp.

But now, I've reached five days of rock stability and it still goes on well, no sign of crashes anymore.

Latest drivers, disabling antivirus and firewall and so on wasn't (in my case) the real matter.

I thing my solution could apply for USB modems

I checked IRQ settings and found that the USB universal controller (on my VIA Chipset) shared IRQ resource with my audio board; I simply forced (from Bios) the audio board IRQ to a different value.

That's it

Maybe this will work with PCI modems too (make sure the modem slot owns an exlusive IRQ)

Hope this could help.

#11 User is offline   ishare 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:29 AM

Is ZoneAlarm the real reason of those crashes?

I suspect that the real reason is that systems crashed were being attacked by "TCP SYN flooding".

When eMule is runing, it acts as an server, and is vulnerable to attacks such as TCP SYN Flooding, which drain system memory and cause OS to crash.

what is the solution here?

#12 User is offline   waynebike 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:06 AM

i have experiance issues with ZA that i have never seen in any other firewall taht ive used, and ive seen the logs, if improperly config'd ZA does some excessive blocking. causing crashes.
Please Visit eMuleHelp.tk For eMule help!

#13 User is offline   Avenger[NL] 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:22 AM

Hi, I have a crash problem to, im using windows XP and when im using emule is suddenly closes down without error ive reinstalled it for a hundred times and am using emule plus now...the same.... HELP :worthy: is it because im using norman antivirus or because i have a GeForce 4 FX 5200 i dont know...anyone..... :huh: :huh: :huh:

#14 User is offline   bearbubba 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:25 PM

I know that I've been having a big problem with eMule over the past few days. For months and months I've just let it run 24/7 and never had any issues but I've done two upgrades of eMule and now I'm getting "Visual C++ Runtime Error" after about 2-3 minutes...and if I don't terminate the program it crashes the whole system.

I forget what version I was running before (I think it was 0.30d) and I upgraded to 30e and the problems started....so then I upgraded to 41b...same thing. I then ripped all version out and backed up to 30a...same thing.

I'm now running eMule Plus (which I don't care for) but at least it doesn't crash. Other mods crash just like the original.

Anyone have any clues?? I don't want to have to reinstall XP cause no other programs have any issues.

#15 User is offline   etiennedupont 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:53 PM

i've noticed this :
- with max source limit/file = 1000 & max connexion limit = 1000 ,
windows xp crach after some time
- with max source limit/file = 400 & max connexion limit = 200 ,
windows xp don't crash anymore (at least for the 24 hours non stop using it ! ;) )

so i guess ther's really a bug within emule & communication to servers !

#16 User is offline   donq 

• ya member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:50 PM

Some comments (I somehow have missed this sticky...:))

smw18, on Jan 17 2004, 04:35 PM, said:

the problem is that after i have been on line for a while my connection drops off but my modem is still on line so i have to reboot everything again to get it back which is a pain in the ar*e.
Does this happen to anyone else and is it my isp or an o/s problem
any ideas on this would be most helpful  :(

Experiment with your eMule connection settings:

MaxConnections=100
MaxNewConn/5sec=10

If eMule will run stable afterwards, you can increase these numbers (in steps of 100/10, one setting at a time) up to point connection will drop; use latest stable values then.

If this doesn't help, post info (on support forum, not in this sticky) about your network card/modem/router.

allan2082, on Jan 26 2004, 02:14 AM, said:

My settings at the moment is ( I use a BT Voyager USB Modem, on Virgin Broadband by the way)

Download : 72  Limit, 70
Upload :      30  Limit 30

What is your line upload speed? If 256kBit/s, then decrease ul limit to 26-28. If more, then it's OK.

Max sources per file, Hard limit:  2000
Connections limits:    10000

Makes me :cry: Set MaxConnections value to 200 (you may experiment with 400, if with 200 will make things better, but not more!) Look at advanced settings, set maxNewConn/5sec to 20-40 (1/10th of MaxConnections).

Avenger(NL), on Jan 28 2004, 11:22 AM, said:

Hi, I have a crash problem to, im using windows XP and when im using emule is suddenly closes down without error ive reinstalled it for a hundred times and am using emule plus now...the same.... HELP :worthy: is it because im using norman antivirus or because i have a GeForce 4 FX 5200 i dont know...anyone..... :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

bearbubba, on Jan 28 2004, 06:25 PM, said:

I'm getting "Visual C++ Runtime Error" after about 2-3 minutes...and if I don't terminate the program it crashes the whole system.

You both look at following thread: http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=34301. If not related, ask again (on support forum, not in this sticky).

etiennedupont, on Feb 3 2004, 03:53 PM, said:

i've noticed this :
- with max source limit/file = 1000 & max connexion limit = 1000 ,
    windows xp crach after some time
- with max source limit/file = 400 & max connexion limit = 200 ,
    windows xp don't crash anymore (at least for the 24 hours non stop using it !  ;)  )

so i guess ther's really a bug within emule & communication to servers !

I think this isn't not eMule bug but your XP network driver or firewall bug. You seem flood something (network card/modem driver, router) with big amount of connections (yes, 1000 is HUGE amount, normal desktop systems and their components are designed to handle some tens or few hundreds of connections properly).
Have you USB modem? There are lot of reports that flooding USB modem with connections will crash modem or it's driver or eMule.
I'm using to surf on :)

#17 User is offline   Mezzanate 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:07 PM

I had a intermittant blue-screen problem when using emule on XP Pro, and Zonelalarm - ended up being my network card driver (downloaded from windowsupdate.microsoft.com, never again!).

I uninstalled the microsoft one and got the proper driver from makers site I haven't had a problem since.

#18 User is offline   maa27_99 

• PipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:24 PM

In view of the above, :worthy: what is the advisable File Buffer Size and Queue Size. Does it depend on the connection or the pc? I am running a 1700 Mhz 40 Gb laptop with WINXPpro through a 512/256 DSL connection shared by a router though ethernet. My emule version is 0.30e. I should say I am posting here because after many hours of running emule, my explorer.exe module often goes into 'Not Responding' and this really sucks!

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by maa27_99: 23 February 2004 - 03:28 PM

#19 User is offline   snurre 

• Pip

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

While having everything the same way since installing 0.30e (everything ran smoothly), and then updating to 0.42b (very frequent bluescreen->reboots), there is obviously something you can do about it ;)

Maybe this is of interest. I just denied all incoming ICMP requests, and I'm waiting to see if it helps..

look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829120&Product=win2000

update:

sorry, still bluescreens (driver_irql_not_less_or_equal 0xd1) after a few minutes of eMule 0.42b running.

This post has been edited by snurre: 29 February 2004 - 11:11 PM

#20 User is offline   drakow 

• Pip

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:57 PM

I am having the same problem with version .42b, eMule .30e worked great! I had average downloads in the 60-80 KB/s range. I am running Windows 2000, and nothing has changed. I tried disabling my AV and I have no other Apps or non-Windows processes running. Why would I get an IRQ error causing blue screens and reboots with the new version, and nothing with the old version? Is eMule using an IRQ? Strange.

The new version looks great. When it starts, my downloads begin within a few minutes at the same speeds as the old version. I wish I could get it to work.

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users