Official eMule-Board: File Extensions - Official eMule-Board

Jump to content


  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

File Extensions Please questions here!

#61 User is offline   -Jackal- 

  • anti-boredom
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 375
  • Joined: 10-May 03

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

You can buy swap disks so that mod chips aren't needed ... how well they work, can't tell ya... dunno anyone that got one yet (they're all waiting for someone else to get one first and see about if there's any compatibility issue's :xlaugh: )
0

#62 Guest_scoonger_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

waynebike, on Jan 9 2004, 09:37 AM, said:

Ok guys, a whole lot of you are asking what do to with the various files you download using eMule, so I?m writing up this mini file-extension summary.  This will cover some of the more common file-types that Windows does not recognize by default.

So, lets get started shall we!

1.).BIN, these are binary image files of CD?s, usually accompanied by a .cue file that will be covered later in this guide.  These can be manipulated by many different programs.  My favorite way to handle these is to simply use a program like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools.  Using these tools you can mount the images using ?Virtual? drives, that means you can use them as if they were CD?s w/o burning it to a CD at all. Although the easiest and most popular way to handle these files is burning them onto a CD, I don?t suggest burning the file directly, I would advise you to burn the .cue file, as it actually shirnks the size of the file when burnt, and is handled by popular burning software, such as Ahead Nero. If you have downloaed a film in .bin format, a media player called VideoLan for Windows can play these files.

2.).CUE, these little guys are typically very small in size, <1kB.  And simply provide applications with specs pertaining to how the file is laid out on disk.  The files they provide this information for are the .bin files.  Because they provide programs with how the image is to be laid out on disk, they tend to make the file small enough to fit onto a CD, which is why I say everyone should download the .cue file if they are downloading a .bin image. They can be burned by programs such as Nero or just about any other burning software. As well as mounted using Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools.

3.).ZIP, these are compressed archives of files, many times people will compress image files, to make transfers go faster, because the file size is smaller. Yes, windows XP does recognize these by default, but windows sucks at everything :P . Popular extracting tools are WinAce, WinRAR, WinZip

4.).RAR, these are the same idea as zip files, and can be read by WinRAR and WinAce.

5.).ISO, Disk image files, can be mounted or burned using nero, Alcohol 120%, or Daemon Tools.

6.)CloneCD Sub-section *Credit goes to SirXerxes and Idiot for this*
The three files written (with the ending *.CCD, *.IMG and *.SUB) are
.CCD - The CloneCD control file. It contains information about the logical structure of the CD. The CCD file is an ASCII text file. Experienced users may want to modify it.
.IMG - Image, the main channel data of all tracks of the CD
.SUB - Sub Channel Data, the sub channel data of all tracks of the CD
The three files must be in the same directory. They must have the same "front" name, e.g. Clone CD Image.ccd, CloneCD Image.img and Clone CD Image.sub.

7.).NFO, windows trys to open these files incorrectly by default, they can be viewed by choosing to open them in notepad/wordpad. They usually contain information about the file you have downloaded.

8.).ACE, Just like ZIPs and RARs, its an archive, use WinAce. (Thanks SirXerxes)

9.).OGG audio and .OGM video files can be opened with a little help of OGGDS (Thanks killmaus)

10.) .APE can be opened via MonkeysAudio (Thanks killmaus)

11.).MPC can be opened via MusePack Source (Thanks killmaus)


others: If you did not found the file-extention you are loocking for, go to this database:http://filext.com. It will tell you known formats to an entered file extention!

-----------------------------------------------------

Please if you have any other questions/comments pertaining to file extensions, post them here, too many people post the same questions, its getting old :)

and hey, before you go posting to find out what file extension uses what program, check out this website, Filext.com, and see if they have your answer!
View Post

0

#63 Guest_scoonger_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

Hi there,
I am new at this and cannot find an answer anywhere to my question.

My file extensions that have come thru are in .part , .part.met and .part.met.bak and I have no idea how I can view these. My default media player is DivX.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can view this.

scoonger
0

#64 User is offline   Black Owl 

  • King and Queen of the Nest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 815
  • Joined: 21-October 03

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:25 AM

scoonger, on Aug 26 2004, 05:13 PM, said:

My file extensions that have come thru are in .part , .part.met  and .part.met.bak and I have no idea how I can view these. My default media player is DivX.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can view this.


Those are not media files* see here for more info.

* A part file can contain (parts of) a media file if you are downloading video or audio. A partial download can be watched (not entirely probbably) by rightclicking on it in the transfers window and choose preview
'It never hurts to help' - Eek the cat
'It never hurts to read the help' - Black Owl
As King and Queen of the Nest we do not feel it is our duty to offer support by PM or email.
0

#65 User is offline   Ad-Man 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: 01-June 04

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:26 PM

You should add

.msi Windows Installer.

Not everyone knows what it is.
0

#66 User is offline   Eiffel 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 20-September 04

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:54 PM

:-k

Hello,

I've wonder if anyone can help me solve my problem.

I've downloaded a friendly free anti-virus program with the extentions .cue and .bin
Only VLC seems to run the files...

How can I install my anti-virus

THANK YOU
0

#67 User is offline   Obliterator 

  • R.I.P.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2583
  • Joined: 24-May 04

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:59 PM

Eiffel, on Oct 3 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

I've downloaded a friendly free anti-virus program with the extentions .cue and .bin
Only VLC seems to run the files...
View Post

How about reading 1. and/or 2. in the first posting?

And BTW ... what free AV is distributed as .bin/.cue?! :-k
0

#68 User is offline   birk 

  • Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5524
  • Joined: 23-May 03

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

Obliterator, on Oct 3 2004, 09:59 PM, said:

And BTW ... what free AV is distributed as .bin/.cue?!  :-k
View Post


My came like that. Is that bad? :-k
0

#69 User is offline   Obliterator 

  • R.I.P.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2583
  • Joined: 24-May 04

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

birk, on Oct 4 2004, 12:44 PM, said:

My came like that. Is that bad?  :-k
View Post

If you'd tell me the name of the AV, I'd tell you if it's bad. :-k
0

#70 User is offline   birk 

  • Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5524
  • Joined: 23-May 03

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:53 AM

Obliterator, on Oct 4 2004, 12:47 PM, said:

birk, on Oct 4 2004, 12:44 PM, said:

My came like that. Is that bad?  :-k
View Post

If you'd tell me the name of the AV, I'd tell you if it's bad. :-k
View Post


Are you trying to make me violate the precious rule number 2? I'm sure it is fine. I found the link on some site with a lot of links and downloaded it with eMule and it had many sources. Many of the comment was something like 'works' and release' and stuff like that. Got to be allright. :-k
0

#71 User is offline   The_Paranoid 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 30-August 04

Posted 07 October 2004 - 01:00 AM

The link for .mpc (Musepack) is pretty outdated. The URL is http://www.musepack.net
0

#72 User is offline   birk 

  • Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5524
  • Joined: 23-May 03

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the updated link. It is changed as of now. :)
0

#73 User is offline   700apple 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:35 AM

scoonger, on Aug 26 2004, 11:09 AM, said:

waynebike, on Jan 9 2004, 09:37 AM, said:

Ok guys, a whole lot of you are asking what do to with the various files you download using eMule, so I?m writing up this mini file-extension summary.  This will cover some of the more common file-types that Windows does not recognize by default.

So, lets get started shall we!

1.).BIN, these are binary image files of CD?s, usually accompanied by a .cue file that will be covered later in this guide.  These can be manipulated by many different programs.  My favorite way to handle these is to simply use a program like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools.  Using these tools you can mount the images using ?Virtual? drives, that means you can use them as if they were CD?s w/o burning it to a CD at all. Although the easiest and most popular way to handle these files is burning them onto a CD, I don?t suggest burning the file directly, I would advise you to burn the .cue file, as it actually shirnks the size of the file when burnt, and is handled by popular burning software, such as Ahead Nero. If you have downloaed a film in .bin format, a media player called VideoLan for Windows can play these files.

2.).CUE, these little guys are typically very small in size, <1kB.  And simply provide applications with specs pertaining to how the file is laid out on disk.  The files they provide this information for are the .bin files.  Because they provide programs with how the image is to be laid out on disk, they tend to make the file small enough to fit onto a CD, which is why I say everyone should download the .cue file if they are downloading a .bin image. They can be burned by programs such as Nero or just about any other burning software. As well as mounted using Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools.

3.).ZIP, these are compressed archives of files, many times people will compress image files, to make transfers go faster, because the file size is smaller. Yes, windows XP does recognize these by default, but windows sucks at everything :P . Popular extracting tools are WinAce, WinRAR, WinZip

4.).RAR, these are the same idea as zip files, and can be read by WinRAR and WinAce.

5.).ISO, Disk image files, can be mounted or burned using nero, Alcohol 120%, or Daemon Tools.

6.)CloneCD Sub-section *Credit goes to SirXerxes and Idiot for this*
The three files written (with the ending *.CCD, *.IMG and *.SUB) are
.CCD - The CloneCD control file. It contains information about the logical structure of the CD. The CCD file is an ASCII text file. Experienced users may want to modify it.
.IMG - Image, the main channel data of all tracks of the CD
.SUB - Sub Channel Data, the sub channel data of all tracks of the CD
The three files must be in the same directory. They must have the same "front" name, e.g. Clone CD Image.ccd, CloneCD Image.img and Clone CD Image.sub.

7.).NFO, windows trys to open these files incorrectly by default, they can be viewed by choosing to open them in notepad/wordpad. They usually contain information about the file you have downloaded.

8.).ACE, Just like ZIPs and RARs, its an archive, use WinAce. (Thanks SirXerxes)

9.).OGG audio and .OGM video files can be opened with a little help of OGGDS (Thanks killmaus)

10.) .APE can be opened via MonkeysAudio (Thanks killmaus)

11.).MPC can be opened via MusePack Source (Thanks killmaus)


others: If you did not found the file-extention you are loocking for, go to this database:http://filext.com. It will tell you known formats to an entered file extention!

-----------------------------------------------------

Please if you have any other questions/comments pertaining to file extensions, post them here, too many people post the same questions, its getting old :)

and hey, before you go posting to find out what file extension uses what program, check out this website, Filext.com, and see if they have your answer!
View Post

View Post

0

#74 User is offline   700apple 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

i am new to emule, and i have some problem.
would you help me.

i downloaded some big size files. one is almost 4gb,
many others are between 200 to 700MB file size.

i have no problem with .rar extension, but when i try to open .zip files,
it gives me error that "the archives is either unknown format or damaged"

10 out of 9 .zip files return this message while i use winrar or winzip to extract file.

"-No archives found?" but it says the file size in my windowXP pro(sp1) .

I guess does emule has problem with .zip files???


hope someone can help me.


thanks,

apple
0

#75 User is offline   PacoBell 

  • Professional Lurker ¬_¬ (so kyoot!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 7296
  • Joined: 04-February 03

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:55 AM

700apple, on Nov 7 2004, 05:42 PM, said:

10 out of 9 .zip files return this message while i use winrar or winzip to extract file.
View Post

Well, there's your problem right there. You're making up non-existant zip files :lol:
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Math is delicious!
MmMm! Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Toffee Macadamias are little drops of Heaven ^_^
Si vis pacem, para bellum DIE SPAMMERS DIE!

#76 User is offline   Il Druido 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 11-September 04

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:26 PM

I think 7ZIP '.7z' extension handling should be added.

This brand new archiver has outstanding performances and open source!
0

#77 User is offline   cursidname 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 28
  • Joined: 03-December 04

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:32 PM

oh god.. i need knowledge. :(
0

#78 User is offline   MacroN 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 24-November 04

Posted 18 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

Maybe the following info could be useful...

> ISOs could be opened with WinRAR; it often more useful than mounting them as CDs.

> a pair "APE+CUE" could be easilly played with Foobar2000, you should just open a .cue; but to play them with Winamp, it often necessary to download and install Monkey's audio (Winamp plugin included) and then make .apl files from .cue file using MakeAPL utility. APLs are 'shortcuts' to songs stored in a large .ape.

- - - -

maybe it is useful to apply all the comments to the first post of the sticky so it will be more easily to find the info...

- - - -

sorry for my bad english...
0

#79 User is offline   hubert11 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 20-December 04

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:13 PM

bearwitch, on Jan 20 2004, 05:20 PM, said:

Thanks I shall give it try.
View Post

yes !!! :bounce: Le mariage en france
0

#80 User is offline   zwei2stein 

  • Insane member.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 227
  • Joined: 17-September 03

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:54 PM

addition: *.mkv - matroska video file http://www.matroska.org/ container like .avi or more like .ogm usually with embeded multiple audio (different dubbings)/subtitles and can even have multiples video footage (like dvd angle function ...)

appear quite a lot nowadays. needs spliter, but its not codec.
PHP devs and webdesing needed 4 project Roaming Nomad

CODE
|/~~~//   /'~~~ ICQ: 111360986 ~~~'\V/'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'\
' .//'   /      "Zweistein"         | Life is a voyage: Many people ride   \
.//'   .(  zwei.stein@tiscali.cz  (o) thru highways, some walk footpaths.   )
//_____/| http://sweb.cz/grima.worm | So keep smiling while you hitchhike! /
ZWEISTEIN  \.______________________./A\._  http://junepalmer.shows.it _./
0

  • Member Options

  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users