Official eMule-Board: upload only MOD or begin a server - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

upload only MOD or begin a server What would be best for the network?

#1 User is offline   Mirkwood 

• Please contact me for my member status
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:28 PM

We have a T1 that is shared phone/internet. However the internet part is unused because of another dedicated T1 for internet. So basically that leaves me with 1/2T1 unused.

Since the line only goes into a part of the computer center where it is hard to make an external connection, I am thinking of putting just a emule machine in there.

However, what would help the Edonkey network more. An emule that uploads 24/7 or a server?

Also how much maintenance is an Edonkey server, again, this is preferably something that I start and don't look at for a month. Also is 1/2 T1 enough for a server?

#2 User is offline   NTAdmin 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:06 AM

I think that it would be better to put an emule client which will upload all the time as there are a lot of servers already (too much), so you should maintain the client via web interface and download some popular files and then share them.

#3 User is offline   Tahattmeruh2 

• The One And Only
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2003 - 05:39 AM

NTAdmin, on Nov 21 2003, 04:06 AM, said:

I think that it would be better to put an emule client which will upload all the time as there are a lot of servers already (too much), so you should maintain the client via web interface and download some popular files and then share them.

I think popular files are fast enough. Rare files or older files would be good also.

Tahattmeruh

#4 User is offline   BugMan HornyInSeattle! 

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2003 - 06:48 AM

I agree, share those rare files. Of course anything is better than nothing, especially with T1 line. Almost as good as my Internet 2. He He :devil:

#5 User is offline   Aanea 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:08 AM

Server definately, a T1 as upload emule makes no difference what so ever for the network, a fast,stable and big server does. But it all depends on the hardware really, if you cant make the servers for atleast 10000 users then dont bother.

#6 User is offline   Elandal 

• Nobody in particular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Debugger

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:38 AM

Servers are abundant.
A T1 doesn't make much of a difference with popular files.
But a T1 makes a big difference with rare files.

Thus, if you have lots of diskspace, you could share lots of rare files. Eg. I've started to remove all files which show estimated full sources of at least 20 from my shares, and I think going down to 10 full sources would still be enough to call it popular file.
Also, I follow forums that match my interests, and reshare rare files when something I have is requested on the forums.

#7 User is offline   Tahattmeruh2 

• The One And Only
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:40 AM

There are many servers. We don't need another one. And with Kademlia we don't need servers at all. A fast client for rare files would be the best. As Elandal said, I have removed popular files with 15>sources too.

Tahattmeruh

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users