Official eMule-Board: My Upload Speed Is Faster Thna Download? - Official eMule-Board

Jump to content


Page 1 of 1

My Upload Speed Is Faster Thna Download?

#1 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

Hi everyone. Been using emule for a little while and everything has been working fantastic...until now. It appears my upload speed is now several times greater than my download speed (700-1000kb/s upload, vs 50-100kb download). These statistics were reversed before I suddenly encountered this. I've tried researching this issue in the forums, but I think that's actually confusing me more than helping because of the lingo :confused:

A screenshot of all my settings is posted below (which may be very wrong, I know, because I got them from a youtube video, and then fiddled with them until I got things to work correctly...which it did until now).

imgur(dot)com/XelbkkY

I should also mention that I have established High ID, made sure the "Use UPnP" was check-marked, rebooted the modem and PC, but the same thing keeps happening.


Thank you!
0

#2 User is offline   DJKuhpisse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: 06-September 16

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

Your download depends on the amount of peers you're currently downloading and on the upload speed of each peer.

The physical limit is you internet connection speed, but also the maximum upload speed of you peers.

If you're downloading a file and you only have a peer uploading with 100 kBit/s, then you only download with 100 kBit/s, regardless of you maximum download speed available.
0

#3 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

View PostDJKuhpisse, on 31 January 2021 - 05:46 AM, said:

Your download depends on the amount of peers you're currently downloading and on the upload speed of each peer.

The physical limit is you internet connection speed, but also the maximum upload speed of you peers.

If you're downloading a file and you only have a peer uploading with 100 kBit/s, then you only download with 100 kBit/s, regardless of you maximum download speed available.


Thank you for the quick reply, that makes complete sense. However, this started to occur right in the middle of a list of files I was downloading for quite some time (a couple of days) all a fast pace, until out of the blue. Is it possoble all the peers suddenly are uploading at lower speeds all of the sudden? I'm probably not understanding everything but I'm new to all this, so I apologize in advance...
0

#4 User is offline   fox88 

  • Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4821
  • Joined: 13-May 07

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

Correct speed limits are very important.
To measure the true bandwidth you should turn off eMule and all other applications that use network.
In browser go to speedtest.net site, do the test and post the acquired numbers.
0

#5 User is offline   DJKuhpisse 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: 06-September 16

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

It is because the file is downloaded in parts, and if for e.g. 20 parts a peer exists, then you DL speed is the speed of each of the peers together.
If you have downloaded many parts and only a few remain, then you have less peers for downloading.
This will often result in a slower DL speed.
0

#6 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:21 PM

View Postfox88, on 31 January 2021 - 07:33 AM, said:

Correct speed limits are very important.
To measure the true bandwidth you should turn off eMule and all other applications that use network.
In browser go to speedtest.net site, do the test and post the acquired numbers.


Ok, here's an update. I tried another shutdown and closing all programs, and it looks like the weird issue with the upload suppressing the downloads is fixed this time, but the download rate is still a meager 100-150 kbps.EDITNevermind, it's back again :-1:

My speedtest numbers are 113.55 mbps and my upload 8.65 mbps.

View PostDJKuhpisse, on 31 January 2021 - 07:41 AM, said:

It is because the file is downloaded in parts, and if for e.g. 20 parts a peer exists, then you DL speed is the speed of each of the peers together.
If you have downloaded many parts and only a few remain, then you have less peers for downloading.
This will often result in a slower DL speed.


Oops, I worded it wrong, these aren't are actually parts of files, but rather a collection of files from a .emulecollection folder. I suppose it could be a problem with these remaining files themselves, but I doubt it, as before I had these latest issues, theses babies were downloading rapid fire.

This post has been edited by emulehelpme: 31 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

0

#7 User is offline   fox88 

  • Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4821
  • Joined: 13-May 07

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

View Postemulehelpme, on 31 January 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

My speedtest numbers are 113.55 mbps and my upload 8.65 mbps.

The simplest way is to use Wizard... button on Connection page.
Select Custom line, make sure it is kbit/s, enter your numbers multiplied by 1000 - and press Apply.

Upload limit usually should not be over 80%, and yours was only slightly above.
And you can uncheck download limit.
0

#8 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:05 PM

View Postfox88, on 31 January 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

View Postemulehelpme, on 31 January 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

My speedtest numbers are 113.55 mbps and my upload 8.65 mbps.

The simplest way is to use Wizard... button on Connection page.
Select Custom line, make sure it is kbit/s, enter your numbers multiplied by 1000 - and press Apply.

Upload limit usually should not be over 80%, and yours was only slightly above.
And you can uncheck download limit.


Thanks Fox88! Tried all that and another reboot, but unfortunately it just seems slower than ever :( Any other ideas?

P.S. I should also mention that I'm running v0.60b x64, if that maybe helps any...

This post has been edited by emulehelpme: 31 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

0

#9 User is offline   fox88 

  • Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4821
  • Joined: 13-May 07

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

Download depends on what other peers could give.
If uploaders have long queues and low speeds, it would be slow no matter how good are your settings.
You might read this page, and others in Docs too.
0

#10 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

View Postfox88, on 31 January 2021 - 03:19 PM, said:

Download depends on what other peers could give.
If uploaders have long queues and low speeds, it would be slow no matter how good are your settings.
You might read this page, and others in Docs too.


Is the weekend a busy download time usually? Could that have something to do with it, as I started encountering this problem Saturday morning.
0

#11 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

Sorry for the double post, but an update: I tried running the same file on emule on another machine, and it worked like normal. So guess an uninstall/reinstall is in order (maybe a combo of my wacked out connection settings and feeding the mule with too many files made it croak).

That said, is there a way I can keep and import the files that have partially downloaded, as well as the ones in the queue that hadn't downloaded at all (it took forever to search for a lot of these file, and I'd really not like to have go to go through that again once I reinstall!) :wacko:

Thanks for helping a dummy such as myself by the way! :thumbup:
0

#12 User is offline   fox88 

  • Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4821
  • Joined: 13-May 07

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:25 AM

View Postemulehelpme, on 31 January 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

Is the weekend a busy download time usually?

eMule is a file sharing application, not a downloader.
More peers usually give faster download, not slower.

Reinstall was never the right way to fix eMule issues.
But, if you insist on that, please see in the Docs (the button at the top of this page) - somewhere there were guides explaining how to move things to another location and keep the data.
0

#13 User is offline   emulehelpme 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 31-January 21

Posted 02 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

View Postfox88, on 02 February 2021 - 02:25 AM, said:

View Postemulehelpme, on 31 January 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

Is the weekend a busy download time usually?

eMule is a file sharing application, not a downloader.
More peers usually give faster download, not slower.

Reinstall was never the right way to fix eMule issues.
But, if you insist on that, please see in the Docs (the button at the top of this page) - somewhere there were guides explaining how to move things to another location and keep the data.


Oh, well, shows how much I know about this kind of stuff! :ph34r: Even with the reinstall, I am still getting the issues it seems, though periodically it's really speedy, so I guess it's just the nature of this thing, eh?
0

#14 User is offline   fox88 

  • Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4821
  • Joined: 13-May 07

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

No steady speeds, and this was explained in the second message, was it not?
0

  • Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users