Official eMule-Board: Side Effects Of Too Many Lowid's - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Side Effects Of Too Many Lowid's

#1 User is offline   davexnet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:04 AM

I share about a thousand files, mostly old music videos and TV shows from the 60's and 70's
using the MorphXT mod. I typically get about 30 users in my upload queue. The bandwidth max
I can safely allocate is about 200KB p/s; if I go beyond that, Spectrum throttles my
upload and I have to call them to fix it (even if they say they don't throttle, it was just
a temporary network problem)

I tried to implement some sharing techniques such as Hide over share and/or share only the need,
But then I realized that this is never going to work when the percentage of LowID's in my
queue is so high, typically about 90% - since they can't share with each other.

Why there are so many LowID's is pretty much a rhetorical question at this point, I wish it were
not so. Seems like much of the sophistication of the sharing techniques built into the
code is just wasted

It's shame that a way wasn't found in the early days to address it and encourage the little bit
of know-how needed to get the High ID. If I had a LowID myself, my upload queue would be
practically empty for days at a time

I enjoy sharing my files, but I wish the situation were more balanced

#2 User is offline   Heliotropo 

• Pip

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:06 AM

I completely agree with your approach. Something should be done if eMule is to be attractive and effective to appeal to new users.

#3 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

Generally speaking, you are correct. LowID to LowID is and will remain an issue until some substantial revisions make it to the mainstream client. However, considering your specific desire: You may want to consider using Share only the Need (SOTN) instead of Hide Overshare (HideOS). In a network with so few clients and especially if you are sharing very rare files it's best if your client decides which parts have sufficient coverage and which don't based on the current availability known to it.
I am an emule-web.de member and fan!

[Imagine there was a sarcasm meter right here!]

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

#4 User is offline   omeringen 

• l÷l
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

View Postdavexnet, on 03 January 2021 - 11:04 AM, said:

Why there are so many LowID's is pretty much a rhetorical question at this point, I wish it were
not so. Seems like much of the sophistication of the sharing techniques built into the
code is just wasted

It's shame that a way wasn't found in the early days to address it and encourage the little bit
of know-how needed to get the High ID. If I had a LowID myself, my upload queue would be
practically empty for days at a time

I enjoy sharing my files, but I wish the situation were more balanced

Because a user needs to spend some time to correctly set eMule (investigate what LowID and HighID is and forward ports if UPnP doesn't work) and you know users are lazy and i understand this.

LowID must be handled automatically. There are some ideas but still no roadmap for official client: https://forum.emule-...howtopic=156977

#5 User is offline   davexnet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:18 PM

Appreciate the comments. Stulle, thank you for your suggestion

My client is running now, I see two LowID clients downloading the same file from me;
does "share only the need" help? I see the "obtained parts" on the "uploading" screen is colored
purple.

This post has been edited by davexnet: 03 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

#6 User is offline   omeringen 

• l÷l
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

Yeah using SOTN always helps healthy part distribution. Purple means that : wiki.emule-web.de/Share_only_the_need

#7 User is offline   emulers 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

It's not so much about knowledge of users or them being lazy anymore.

CGNAT is pretty common nowadays and it's getting more and more wide every other day because of IPv4 limitations.

And it's not possible to get a High ID with a CGNatted connection.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users