Testing Version 0.51A Continued unofficial development

#61 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

View PostNoMiaus, on 22 July 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

Some colours were changed on the IRC.

That was changed long ago to follow mIRC default colour scheme.
Not in the official version, of course.

It was easier for new users asking for help.

The changes made in 0.48a (if I recall the version correctly) were not welcomed by help ops as well.
That got slightly better in the next version, but still too much red text in the channel; and triggers also used red.

#62 User is offline   KaboomTss 

• Pip

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 PM

View Postfox88, on 22 July 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Some colours were changed on the IRC.

That was changed long ago to follow mIRC default colour scheme.
Not in the official version, of course.

It was easier for new users asking for help.

The changes made in 0.48a (if I recall the version correctly) were not welcomed by help ops as well.
That got slightly better in the next version, but still too much red text in the channel; and triggers also used red.

I am one of those people that help on eMule channels since 2005 so I think I can tell about the IRC part of eMule and users we receive. The first thing is why you change IRC part to be different from the official eMule version while there isn't any need/bug and without asking about opinions visiting eMule IRC help channels? I think while you are not an active IRC user or helper changing IRC stuff on your own is unreasonable because you can't know what is needed. Then these changes will affect everybody that uses IRC.
I don't see also any reason to have two different interfaces of IRC one in official eMule and different looking in the community version - it will cause users complaining and IRC helpers will loose time to talk about color changes, etc. In addition there isn't any improovement for an IRC part because making all just a one coloured text makes it boring, uncomfortable. For example for an user it's easier to read and follow instructions of a helper when nicknames are splited in different colors as it is in the official version. You also forget that something that is not attractive or comfortable in use/easy to use for users is abandoned and left alone. I wouldn't like IRC being abandoned by users just for unfriendly interface design. IRC does a lot good things for the project and especially for eMulers needing support.
Moreover, I've just found a bug on this unofficial version. I don't know how to reproduce it but it happened twice: I opened two channels and after some time both windows channels became white, I was be able to write and send messages to the channels, they didn't appear in my windows but users were be able to see them.

#63 User is offline   emule_user_downunder 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted Today, 05:08 AM

View PostSome Support, on 22 July 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

I already talked with fox before. We can't quite make it the official version because fox decides what changes to put in and we aren't verifying them (and don't have the time to do so in most cases neither unfortunately).

However with fox's consent we will (and already do) link the version on our website, additionally to the last official version. So users can choose themselves if they want a more up-to-date version or stick with the latest official one. The version check will be updated too, but I don't think there will be an update notification for the "community" version. Mhm. Maybe in the future.

Delighted that there has been some updates and a release of software.
I have found the recent beta versions quite stable, and am happy to have the current version out there for people to update to and supersede the versions out there, on the proviso that the current developers (Some Support and fox88) taking an interest will continue to do so (as resources permit) and collaborate.

I refer to my comments in https://forum.emule-...dpost&p=1097937 about GitHub versioning.

The IRC issues above (one a bug, and one a design issue) can possibly be discussed in different threads (such as https://forum.emule-...owtopic=157976) and a consensus reached as to colour schemes, and maybe that can be made an option that can be turned on or off or devise a configurable IRC colour scheme to keep everybody happy.

We don't have to wait another 8 years for the next version. Fix the bugs and roll out the updates/fixes/extensions more frequently I say!

This post has been edited by emule_user_downunder: Today, 05:21 AM

#64 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 08:40 AM

View PostKaboomTss, on 22 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

I don't know how to reproduce it but it happened twice: I opened two channels and after some time both windows channels became white, I was be able to write and send messages to the channels, they didn't appear in my windows but users were be able to see them.

More details, please.
Could you tell the names of those two channels (and IRC server you were connected to, if you remembered)?
Approximately, how long it took to get this display issue?
Were nick lists displayed correctly?
Were channel window completely blank, or old text was still visible?

#65 User is offline   KaboomTss 

• Pip

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

View Postfox88, on 23 July 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Could you tell the names of those two channels (and IRC server you were connected to, if you remembered)?

I had many open channels in that moment that I don't remember them all actually. I remember I had opened two eMule channels that were #eMule-Italian and #eMule-Spanish. Of course it was the official eMule IRC help network that you may connect using ircchat.emule-project.net that is set by default in eMule official version IRC settings.

Approximately, how long it took to get this display issue?

Issue lasted till i restarted eMule.

Were nick lists displayed correctly?

Yes.

Were channel window completely blank, or old text was still visible?

All was blank and not visible.

#66 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 11:10 AM

KaboomTss, thanks for the answers.
So, you had many open channels, but only Italian and Spanish got the issue.
Is this correct?

View PostKaboomTss, on 23 July 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

you may connect using ircchat.emule-project.net

That would be a random server; not the one you were connected to.
Well, it was not expected that you remembered this.

View PostKaboomTss, on 23 July 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Issue lasted till i restarted eMule.

The question was about how long to stay connected before the issue appears.
As for restart, did you try to part and join the channels, or hop?
For me, nothing wrong happened in about 7 hours while having connection to four help channels.

I will try to do more tests.

#67 User is offline   NoMiaus 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

View PostKaboomTss, en 22 July 2018 - 10:50 PM, dijo:

Moreover, I've just found a bug on this unofficial version. I don't know how to reproduce it but it happened twice: I opened two channels and after some time both windows channels became white, I was be able to write and send messages to the channels, they didn't appear in my windows but users were be able to see them.

I can confirm this bug, but I don't know how to reproduce it neither. All channel windows became white and the topics also disappear. If you join a new channel, the new channel looks correct but the channels were opened keep in blank until you part from each one and join again or just hop. I had one download in Transfers and I previewed it, not sure if it can be related.

Imagen enviada

And I found two bugs more. This is what happens if the eMule window isn't maximized and you do it bigger from the top or from the bottom. If you hop the window is restored.

Imagen enviada

The third one happens when you join #eMule-Italian. The list of nicks showed only 6 users but there were 47. I was using the nickname Testing1 and I don't even appear there.

Imagen enviada

This post has been edited by NoMiaus: Today, 12:31 PM

En ocasiones.. veo cable-modems Motorola con ID Alta ._.'

#68 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

Thanks, NoMiaus.
That OperServ line is suspicious.
I never saw it until today, and google tells that +D appeared only in v4 of UnrealIRCd server.
Is this correct?

#69 User is offline   NoMiaus 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 01:53 PM

View Postfox88, en 23 July 2018 - 02:48 PM, dijo:

Thanks, NoMiaus.
That OperServ line is suspicious.
I never saw it until today, and google tells that +D appeared only in v4 of UnrealIRCd server.
Is this correct?

It was implemented around 2012 after an agreement between the eMule Italian staff and the network staff for security reasons. It's a customized module based in an old one. The mode is set automatically when an eMule user joins the channel. I'm from the MindForge staff so if you've any doubt we can discuss on the #MindForge channel.
En ocasiones.. veo cable-modems Motorola con ID Alta ._.'

• Member Options

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users