Official eMule-Board: Hash List File Type "maybe .hlst" - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Hash List File Type "maybe .hlst" Not a torrent file. Better. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   zilog80 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

I am not a fan of torrent files. Unless you debencode them, the are not human editable via a text editor. And even if you do edit them, they becomes a new torrent and you lose the seeds of the pre-edited version.

With Emule you just archive a group of files and/or directory structure and share it that way. One hash to rule them all. But then you must maintain that file in the archive to share it. Not only that, if you don't want all of the files you must download the whole archive anyway. You could just share the a directory recursively, then everyone gets the all of the files shared within the parent and tail folders. But then the downloaders lose the directory structure and need to select every file for download.

It shouldn't be to hard to implement a standard hash list file (magnet link list). A person selects the folder to be shared and additionally selects a hash list be made. Then all the files get shared like the always do, but in addition a hash list is made. The list include the name of the folder(s) and directory structure. Some extension is given to it, like .hlst or .hlt, and the compiled file can itself be names and shared. Then people can download hash lists from each other, and download the whole list with one click after examining it for comparison to their desired downloads. They could select to only download a few of the file, by clicking on the links inside, rather than the whole list. They could remove a couple that they are not interested in and then download the remaining files in the list with one click. They could reorder the files on their disk in a way that fits their library design, but still share the original hash list, which might provide a better ordering for most people in general.

And as long as the file is both human readable and machine phrase-able, it could really add some usability to the application.

A less simple addition would be having individual files return a notification that a the single file is also included in a hash list. I think that this would be nice, but a little bit much in term of implementation.

This would be way better than torrents, in just about every way. Searchable hash lists.

#2 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

http://www.emule-pro...=id&news_id=164

Collections: you can create, view and use collections for eMule, to bundle a number of files virtually together and use this to define a set of files. A set that can be signed to ensure the origin.

http://www.emule-pro...0&rm=show_topic

eMule also lets you create collections which are basically links to several files put into one index file, making it easier for others to download a series of related files because they don't have to search for each file seperatly but only for the collection.

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#3 User is offline   zilog80 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the info, xiloee.

I never knew this had been implemented. I am an Amule user and as far as I know they have neglected to implement these features. Figures that Emule would have had these implemented for so long now. It just makes sense.

Do collections appear in the search results, like single files?

#4 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Yup. ;)
INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users