Official eMule-Board: What's Shared? - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

What's Shared?

#1 User is offline   theolsarge 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

I've originated a number of files and downloaded a bunch of others. Not new or original. However, when I do a search on a keyword covering these files only about 20 - 30% show up in the search showing "shared". I can't even find my own files!?

I don't get it, why don't my files show up on a search from my own computer? Makes no sense. When they do show up others, which were showing before, have vanished!!! WTF? This is true with both the Global Servers and KAD.

:ranting:

This post has been edited by theolsarge: 24 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

#2 User is offline   xSTHNSx 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Well when you share a file it has to be first hashed. This way we can identify same file using multiple names if dupes. Thus ignoring filename to identify content other than to only facilitate search index. So when you connect to eD2K Server it will send all shared files in block chain until all is shared long as it meets servers requirements. Now keep in mind if the file you shared is called Name: MyFiles.zip (Hash: ABC123) then when its propagated to the server if its new will cache it now if the same file already exists as MyFilez.zip (ABC123) since its using same filehash it will identify it as MyFilez.zip regardless of what you named it. You also have to understand the file that you propagated could also be filtered by keywords or sources. Why don't you do a test and lookup the filehash directly via peerates or shortypower. If you believe its filtered try jumping on TvU server and see if it lists there.

Far as propagating to KAD goes thats another thread of its own...
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   theolsarge 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

I'm sure all that makes perfect sense to you, leaves me in the dust!

I did change servers, oddly I did get 3 more results (13 as opposed to 10) even with substantially fewer files. Emule Security 1 shows 28+M files while TVu shows 12+M as I type. Searching on global I got 10/13, searching on KAD I got 23/25.

I originated 27 different files with keyword "American History", all documents, PDF. When I search with that keyword, with quote marks, I get results above with security 1/TVu servers. KAD finds almost all the fies, global finds less than half.

I'm pretty confident people would consider most of those 27 files worth the wait but from where I'm sitting the reason folks don't download is they don't know they're there . . . unless they're connected to KAD. And all this is worse with a LowID!!!!

View PostxSTHNSx, on 24 September 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Well when you share a file it has to be first hashed. This way we can identify same file using multiple names if dupes. Thus ignoring filename to identify content other than to only facilitate search index. So when you connect to eD2K Server it will send all shared files in block chain until all is shared long as it meets servers requirements. Now keep in mind if the file you shared is called Name: MyFiles.zip (Hash: ABC123) then when its propagated to the server if its new will cache it now if the same file already exists as MyFilez.zip (ABC123) since its using same filehash it will identify it as MyFilez.zip regardless of what you named it. You also have to understand the file that you propagated could also be filtered by keywords or sources. Why don't you do a test and lookup the filehash directly via peerates or shortypower. If you believe its filtered try jumping on TvU server and see if it lists there.

This post has been edited by theolsarge: 24 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

#4 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

Try this string:

^"american history"*

This post has been edited by xilolee: 24 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Posted Image

#5 User is offline   theolsarge 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

View Postxilolee, on 24 September 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Try this string:

^"american history"*

Doesn't matter, in the last two hours, they've shown up! After 24 hours +. Weird!!!!

OK, I'll bite, what does ^ and * do? :worthy:

Now, we're left with the question of how a server with fewer users and files have a better search result than a larger server. Or are users supposed to search every server? "Global" should be global! Doesn't seem to act like it.

This post has been edited by theolsarge: 24 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

#6 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

See Lugdunum's replies in Light on searching (click).
INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Posted Image

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users