Official eMule-Board: "try To Download Preview Chunks First" Is Incomplete - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

"try To Download Preview Chunks First" Is Incomplete Preview chunks can include the second to last chunk, too!

#1 User is offline   compumaniac42 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

The option "Try to download preview chunks first" is very useful, as it makes a file previewable earlier, if the first and last chunks of a (video) file are available.

There is one major thing missing, though:
The last chunk of a file will almost always be smaller than a full chunk size. And frequently this fraction of a chunk will not be enough to hold the full index of a video file.
When using VLC, such a file will be previewable only up to the first gap and will not be seekable (unless it's mpeg).

This could very simply be cured by making this option "first, last and second-to-last chunks first", instead of just "first and last".
The trade-off (one more chunk that isn't handled according to lowest availability) is minor, at least for large files.
Couldn't you make this the default behaviour of the option - at least for files with e.g. more than 10 chunks?

I've "suffered" from this hole in the preview feature for years, but only yesterday I downloaded a large video, where the last chunk was tiny and the second-to-last chunk was actually the very last chunk to be downloaded - so for the entire time of the download, the preview was never seekable. That gave me the final kick for this post. ;-)

#2 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

// Criterion 2. Parts used for preview
// Remark: - We need to download the first part and the last part(s).
//        - When the last part is very small, it's necessary to 
//          download the two last parts.

If the last chunk is smaller than 1/3 of the whole part, then the part before the last should be downloaded too.
Part size is about 9 MB.

This post has been edited by fox88: 21 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users