Official eMule-Board: Ability To Shorten File Names When Greater Than 256 Characters Long. - Official eMule-Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Ability To Shorten File Names When Greater Than 256 Characters Long. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   patrick8 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

View Postraid517, on 23 August 2008 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this (well apart from one silly suggesting from a poster which thankfully was quickly thrown in the bin), as it seems like an almost obviously god idea. (Particularly any ability to automatically rename files/limit file name length and/or remove illegal characters and spaces upon completion).

A good example of this might be something like this:

Mp3 Song Polyphonic Ringtones - Lionel Richie Christina Aguilera Snow Patrol Luny Tunes & Tainy Carrie Underwood Lupe Fiasco Various Artists.rar

(This is a virus BTW, so don't download it).

This is by no means the worst offender I have seen (in fact it's really quite tame compared to the length of many other file names I have encountered on the emule network through the years).

This may not be 256 characters long on it's own, but add to this the depth of the default location of my Downloads folder: C:\Users\user1\Downloads\eMule and the fact that my own habit is to right click on a compressed folder and select 'extract to' and accept the suggested folder name, this would result in a path as follows:

C:\Users\user1\Downloads\eMule\Mp3 Song Polyphonic Ringtones - Lionel Richie Christina Aguilera Snow Patrol Luny Tunes & Tainy Carrie Underwood Lupe Fiasco Various Artists\Mp3 Song Polyphonic Ringtones - Lionel Richie Christina Aguilera Snow Patrol Luny Tunes & Tainy Carrie Underwood Lupe Fiasco Various Artists

Which is well in excess of the 256 character limit. (Particularly when you add in the often quite long names of the individual files inside the zip or rar archives themselves).

You could say 'why not adjust our behaviour?' Well firstly because on 70% of occasions accepting the default folder name to extract to supplied by winrar (and other compression software) works perfectly fine. However it is that other 30% which is a royal pain in the butt. Secondly I think his is a good idea because many of the file names on the network are often completely stupidly long - and there would be no harm in cleaning them up. Crazy long file names that have been tagged by just about everyone who ever downloaded them are a real pet hate of mine, as I spend a large proportion of my time renaming them anyway. Thirdly, doing this might cause what clearly must be some quite unaware and uneducated kind of people to think much more carefully when naming (or renaming) their files in the future. So overall the network benefits too.

Anyway as I said, it's just a thought.

Hi please try to use long path tool program. may be it can help u. :)

#22 User is offline   gregory2015 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

Have you tried software called Long Path Tool, it is absolute solution for such kind of errors. :thumbup: :respect:

#23 User is offline   aidencarter 

• Pip

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

The Long path tool is the very best program for error, unlock solution.
Try it and solved your problem.
I used the long path tool and I solved my error, unlocks problem solution.

#24 User is offline   Soul--Reaver 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:16 AM

Why is this even an issue?

eMule allows you to change the name of a file. So if this issue pops-up just change the name manually and resume the file

#25 User is offline   frank1982 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Long Path Tool can fix all of your problems.

This post has been edited by frank1982: 20 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

• Member Options

• (2 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users