Official eMule-Board: How To Recover Corrupt Downloads - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

How To Recover Corrupt Downloads using MetFileRegenerator

#1 User is offline   torpon 

• I'm so tired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Post icon  Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

Since the original Guide How To Save "corrupt" Downloads!, by Birk, has become outdated same way as the original spanish version Recuperar con MetMedic las descargas desaparecidas, by risalan, I have translated, thanks Babelfish, the spanish more recent guide Recuperar con metFileRegenerator las descargas desaparecidas, por Bagusajalf

Bagusajalf said:

metFileRegenerator recovers downloads from eDonkey, eMule and compatible clients. V1.4 requires the installation of Java Runtime Environment v1.4 or upper. In order to recover files greater than 4GB it is necessary to use v3.0.16 (8 of October, 2006) or later. Still developing.

When we added a download three archives are created in the eMule temp folder (\eMule\Temp\, by default):
xxx.part (the download itself), xxx.part.met (information on the parts - 9,28MB each one or less if one is the last one - of the downloading) and xxx.part.met.bak(a backup of xxx.part.met), being always "xxx" a number.

Posted Image

In some occasions, after an unexpected closing of eMule or the operating system, one or more archives xxx.part.met can get corrupted, thus disappearing its corresponding download in the eyelash Transfers from eMule and a message of error in the window of Log (eyelash Servers) like this:

01/06/2006 14:53:07: Error of version of part.met file! (001.part.met => (null))

or

01/06/2006 14:53:07: Error: 001.part.met () corrupt, impossible to load the file

"Horror! Our download is lost when it only lacked 0,15MB of 617,15MB... "(paraphrasing to risalan
;) )

How to recover the missing downloads

/!\ Is important to make a backup of the temporary archives that we are going to manipulate, with the purpose of being able to return to the departure point in case that the first attempts are useless. /!\

Method 1

The simplest form and first that there is to try.

Without closing eMule move the file xxx.part.met.bak affected outside the directory \Temp(with the purpose of turning it "backup") and rename it to xxx.part.met
Close emule and copy to \Temp folder the renamed xxx.part.met, overwriting the existing one.
Start eMule and verify if you have recovered your download. :)
If it has not worked, then ...

Method 2

Posted Image
  • Select the file xxx.part of the missing Download. Press Next
Posted Image
  • The process of recovery of the download will begin. A bar will show you the progress.
  • If you have more downloads to recover, repeat the previous steps for every one.
  • Close metFileRegenerator, open eMule (it will code hash of the download that had disappeared). You will have two equal downloads (or several to pairs): cancel the new download that you added, leaving the recovered one.
  • You already can erase any backup that you did during the process. Make it carefully. <_<
  • If by means of this method you do not manage to recover the download and you obtain like result an error message that says: "download the file again and try MFR again" (yes, that message is so redundant), we will have to use...

Method 3

Step 1
If you do not know what download is the one that disappeared, find out what downlaoad that xxx.part belonged to.

It can be that the extension of command interpreter (eMule Shell Extension), that allows Windows explorer to show information on the content of the temporary archives of eMule, gives this information to you. It is enough with installing it and exploring the temp folder to see what download belongs each file. This information is in yellow globes (tooltips), the inferior bar of the window (the state bar), in the Vista "Details", among others.
Posted Image
Although a corrupt file part.met will not show information and the most likely is than it is not worth of anything since the information that shows about part is obtained from its corresponding part.met, clear...

Perhaps you can find that information in the corresponding archives xxx.part.met or xxx.part.met.bak, opening them with a hexadecimal editor (Ultraedit32 or WinHex) or even with a text editor like notepad.exe ( Notepad), but most often, in these cases, the file is empty or simply "it has disappeared".

Posted Image
Content of a file xxx.part.met. Opened with a hexadecimal editor

Another way is "to read" the file directly xxx.part, or examining it with a hexadecimal editor and looking for in its head or the final part some data that identifies it (Take care! If the file is great, is likely that the hexadecimal editor takes long time in opening it, being able even to temporarily block the computer), useful in case the download is a data file (zip, rar, iso, bin, pdf, etc...); or opening it with a media player like VideoLan Client (more info in Help and Support> Features> Preview Multimedia Files), usefull in case is a audio or video file.

If you do not manage to identify to what download belonged the orphaned xxx.part, then that download is really missing.

Step 2

Once identified, start a new download of that same file. Nosense it is "similar", has to have same hash that the original one.
If we press the secondary button of the mouse on this download and we select Details, or simply we leave the cursor on this download, we will be able to find out what (number of) file part belongs to it.

Once eMule has found sources for all the parts (they do not appear red parts in the bar) and in the Information of the download the scetion Joint of hashes available: say "Yes", or you have even downloaded a pair of megabytes of the file, stop the download and close eMule

Step 3
  • Open metFileRegenerator (requires to have Java Runtime Environment v1.4 o superior installed). Select Recovery. Press Next
  • Specify the temp directory of eMule where is xxx.part of the missing download. Press Next
  • Mark only:
    • Write file met recovered in the old format.
    Press Next
  • Select the file xxx.part of the missing Download. Press Next
  • The process of recovery of the download will begin. A bar will show you the progress.
  • If you have more downloads to recover, repeat the previous steps for every one.
  • Close metFileRegenerator, open eMule (it will code hash of the download that had disappeared). You will have two equal downloads (or several to pairs): cancel the new download that you added, leaving the recovered one.
  • You already can erase any backup that you did during the process. Make it carefully. <_<
* Note: metFileRegenerator creates a directory in eMule temp folder called \MFRcache and so many xxx.part.met.old files as downloads you have recovered. After successfully recover all your downloads, you can erase them.

The eMule Morph mod includes, through the contextual menu that appears pressing with the secondary button of the mouse on a download, the option "Import parts to file" that is used indeed for the thing explained in this post.
After adding the same download that was disappeared, you select it this option and you choose the file xxx.part of the missing download. It can recover "great" downloads (files greater than 4GB).

In some cases the fatality can occur of all the list of downloads disappear. In this coarse, concrete, situation maintain the calm, verify in Options>Directories that the path specified for Temporary Files points to the right directory and restart eMule, to recover all our downloads. It is advisable to make a backup of the temporary files before restarting eMule.

Since in very rare occasions a download has disappeared form my list and it was long time ago that I underwent it for the last time, can have errors in the explanation that I have given of the process to recover downloads by lack of practice. I wait for your corrections. :)

Greetings.

Thanks to Bagusajalf the original creator of this guide. If you think it is usefull, it can be moved to Quick Help and Guides. BTW after clenning mistakes in translation.

Cheers :D

This post has been edited by torpon: 11 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Dick_Manitoba 

• Nyet Nyet Soviet Soviet Jewellery
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Good idea, Torpon. I'm editing and re-editing this. When I am finished, I will PM you (or if I need your help with any words/phrases, etc ;) )

This post has been edited by Dick_Manitoba: 13 February 2009 - 06:13 AM

Visit PunkHistoryCanada.ca and enjoy it's music at PHC Radio. Listen now!
::How To:: Learn about IP filters and fake files :: Info & Lists of Real and Fake servers
Remove Fake Servers & get good ones :: Post pictures on the web, no registration req'd
::Helpful sites:: DVD tools, tutorials, etc :: VLC video without codecs :: Codec info & downloads
GSpot Codec IDer :: Can't delete Locked files? :: Freedb aware players
::Free Virus Scans:: Trend Micro Housecall, Panda ActiveScan, Kaspersky Virusscanner, BitDefender
::My Favorite Applications::
::Archives:: IZarc : 7-Zip : WinRAR : WinACE : Any-OS Zip Tools and Source code - Info-ZIP
::Audio:: EAC : LAME : MP3 Book Helper (Tags etc)

#3 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:18 AM

Method 1

The simplest form and first that there is to try.

Close eMule move the file xxx.part.met affected outside the directory \Temp(with the purpose of turning it "backup") and rename the file xxx.part.met.bak to xxx.part.met
Start eMule and verify if you have recovered your download.
If it has not worked, it gives back "bak" to the name of the file, move from temp folder and...

in my opinion, there's a mistake....

if we have a corrupted file (at the start of emule session), we should:
1) don't close emule
2) go in the emule\config, copy the downloads.bak and save it in a safer place (in case this method does not work, we will use other softwares like metfileregenerator which wants the exact ed2k link)
3) go in the \temp
4) move (better is to copy) xxx.part.met.bak from \temp to desktop (or other directory)
5) rename xxx.part.met.bak moved (copyed), in xxx.part.met
6) close emule
7) delete xxx.part.met and xxx.part.met.bak in the \temp
8) move (better is to copy) our xxx.part.met from desktop (or other directory) to \temp
9) start emule

it should work ...

This post has been edited by xilolee: 14 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non è serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dà subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#4 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

I want to test MetFileRegenerator(i'll prepare a guide in my language) but i don't have any corrupted part files. Any ideas ?

This post has been edited by erdem444: 13 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

#5 User is offline   torpon 

• I'm so tired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

The usual way to get corrupted .part.met files is switching off computer. You can also try editing, with an hexadecimal editor, a part.met and replacing some values by hexadecimal 0, this way looks less harmfull for computer.

Cheers :D

#6 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

@torpon,
Thanks.

This post has been edited by erdem444: 13 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

#7 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:29 AM

have a look also at the other guide for corrupted downloads, i think it could be useful :flowers:
INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sembra talco ma non è serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dà subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#8 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

@xilolee,
I'll look. (;

Method3 is not a method. It only tells us "how to find missing part number", rest of is same as Method2. I think you can merge it with Method2 and add a tag like "if you know the number of missing part, you can skip step1."
The different Method is "import downloads" with a Morph based mod(with method3-step2) . You can split this part as a different method.

Anyway, not a big deal. Thnx again.

This post has been edited by erdem444: 13 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

#9 User is offline   dustparticles 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hey thanks a lot :thumbup:
I was downloading ****(699.something MB) and it crashed at 672.15 and it was really :furious: .
More to this while window ran its chkdsk it deleted the part.met file stating that its corrupt.. i lost hope.. as i have very less speed(256Kbps).. But all's fine now... The second method worked for me
Toast for u
Thanks again

**** Moderator's Note: Read Forum Rules. Pay special attention to point 2

This post has been edited by torpon: 25 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

#10 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

You'll have to edit your post once again and wipe out all file names. :P

#11 User is offline   Merlin1990 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

OMG thank you so much for this you really saved my day man!
Big thanks to you and the creator ^^ here's a biiig :thumbup:
for you cheers

This post has been edited by Merlin1990: 13 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

#12 User is offline   crazycrazy6 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

This has just happened to me! :furious:

It's happened before but I got them back by taking the temp files out of the directory and putting them back in the folder and restarting emule but it hasn't worked this time! :cry2:

I've got loads of missing files now! 3 in particular which I'd spent ages on 2 were about 700mb and the other 1.3gb and all of them had 50% + downloaded! :cry: I'm gonna try step 2 as step 1 hasn't worked! :(

#13 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi!

Have a look also at the last post (of mine) in the topic: How To Save "corrupt" Downloads! (click)

HTH :)

#14 User is offline   2k3k 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi,

I have a 700mb(over 90%)file I recovered from a harddrive failure, xxx.part. Unfortunately it's
companion files xxx.part.met and xxx.part.met.bak are missing. If I change .part to .avi, then I can
play this file like a preview. Is there a way to regenerate the part.met so I can finish this download?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Windows XP
Emule v0.50a

#15 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

The basic steps

• after the crash, before the opening of emule, save your downloads.txt and its bak in a safer place
  • if you have installed the shell extension, check your temp folder before the opening of emule (and you'll see your corrupted files, if you have them, without their titles)
  • open emule: it tries to recover your corrupted file (example 100.part)... if it is not able to recover the file, continue to read
  • get the exact ed2k link of your file and re-download it...
    wait until the file is "seen complete" --> date;
    if you see "never", you should wait...
    it is not needed to download some part/kilobyte of it.
    in the meanwhile you can check the new real name of the file (example 200.part)
  • close emule
  • use a recovery program: you should provide to it the real name of the corrupted .part (100.part) and the name of the new .part.met (200.part.met)

More informations are "inside" the previous link.

#16 User is offline   2k3k 

• Pip

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Took me awhile, but I got.

Thanks again,
Bill

#17 User is offline   Phoenixlk 

• Pip

Posted 12 October 2023 - 09:53 PM

While i was downloading some files (usually songs - i`m not a person who keep music in cloud...;) disk capacity downs to zero, i closed emule and... well... many downloads was lost...
now - 4 questions:
1) part, met and met.bak files = 0 bytes... i know it`s rather rhetorical, but i must ask - is there any chance to identify which file ot could be?
2) part has more or less proper size, met and met.bak = 0 bytes... i`ve tried to use hexadecimal, but still don`t find any clues what is it - any option to recover?
3) i was trying to use MetMedic - i must restart download, however - in both cases (1 and 2) morph emule shows "Unknown or wrong file format" - what in this case?
4) using morph emule i was able to recover some downloads using only .met file - is it means that this way will give me chance to restore ALL downloads with correct .met files?

No chance to remember all files which i was downloading - 12 hours shifts and a lot of favourite bands...

i can begin downloading files from beginning - but i must know what i was downloading;)

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users