Official eMule-Board: Constantly Increasing Paged Pool Usage - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Constantly Increasing Paged Pool Usage

#1 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

hi I am running emule for long periods of time, and it appears that it has a serious memory leak, does anyone else know about it ? because it seems to be regardless of emule version, I wonder if anything can be done about it to fix it, because there is a limit to how mutch paged pool can be allocated in the memory management registry

#2 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

Do you have Nvidia firewall or networking?

#3 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

no

#4 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

As far as I get from your posts in the other thread, you refer to Linux/WINE combination; while most users have Windows.
You should have stated it clearly; at least there would be no need to guess.
Like this: sticky topic

#5 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

no I don't, because last year I didn't have linux at all, and even now, I have both, and the same thing happens in both, windows and linux, I am sure that the same problem in windows occurs in linux, and even if I didn't mean the bug was in windows, I wouldn't have mentioned it, because I have already made sure that the bug is not in wine, why would I post a wine bug in the emule project forums ?

no I was not referring to linux/wine

#6 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

read here: 8111"]how to get support (click me!!)

:flowers:
INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#7 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

in case you didn't notice, one of the rules is "stay on topic", and your link does not contain anything related to the mentioned problem, so I can only guess you are trying to be funny, maybe I didn't write it correctly.

emule.exe causes a system-wide irreversible "kernel paged pool" memory leak based on the amount of time that it is running, regardless of number of downloads present in the list or how many are active (with possibly on exception that if there are NO files in the transfers list, they may not be a memory leak, but that is untested and is obviously irrelevant) and irreversible means that even if you close emule.exe the memory cannot be retrieved because it is not allocated by to emule, it is allocated in the kernel's paged pool. I may add an image from process explorer later to show it, but that should not be necessary the problem is obvious. I am surprised that nobody encountered this problem before.

#8 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

that link is useful if you provide informations about your system, so someone in this forum could help you ... if you want to be helped, obviusly. :rolleyes: :xrolleyes:

I may add an image from process explorer later to show it, but that should not be necessary the problem is obvious.

also this could be useful: it is obvious for you, it is not so obvious for other people (indeed i can not understand at all your matter, maybe 'cause this is not my language)

:flowers:

This post has been edited by xilolee: 07 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#9 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

View Postmassacre, on Nov 6 2008, 06:11 AM, said:

in case you didn't notice, one of the rules is

Just in case you never notice... or do not pay attention... or do not care... the name of the thread in my link is 'Read This Before Starting A New Thread!'.
It suggests, that if you have a problem - tell as much as possible about your configuration. Instead, even the verision of OS you're running is still unknown. Is that how you are trying to be funny?
As for the kernel memory, I do not see a steady growth of those numbers in my computer.

#10 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:10 AM

there is infinite amount of information about my system, what you think is relevant in this case that you need to know ? I was under the impression that nothing other than emule version is relevant.

emule is running on windows xp with service pack 1:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000000
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000000
"NonPagedPoolQuota"=dword:00000000
"NonPagedPoolSize"=dword:00000000
"PagedPoolQuota"=dword:00000000
"PagedPoolSize"=dword:00000000
"SecondLevelDataCache"=dword:00000f00
"SystemPages"=dword:00303000
"PagingFiles"=hex(7):00,00,00,00
"PhysicalAddressExtension"=dword:00000000

I have 40 files in transfers list and all are active, the average number of sources per file is < 10, the maximum is 13

this image shows pagel pool usage of ~25 MB, about 2 hours ago that was 20 MB, if I leave the system on for a few more hours, it will increase further

Posted Image

This post has been edited by massacre: 08 November 2008 - 04:22 AM

#11 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

View Postmassacre, on Nov 8 2008, 05:10 AM, said:

emule is running on windows xp with service pack 1:

MaxUpload=10
AppVersion=0.48a
(..)
MaxDownload=65535
MaxConnections=9999999
MaxHalfConnections=410065408
ConditionalTCPAccept=0
Port=3
UDPPort=4
ServerUDPPort=52843
MaxSourcesPerFile=9999999
(..)
MaxConnectionsPerFiveSeconds=1215752191
(..)

FYI , MaxConnections=9999999, MaxHalfConnections=410065408, MaxConnectionsPerFiveSeconds=1215752191 are not considered as good settings... :-k

#12 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

these settings are inactive in TCP/IP > Extended, so they are irrelevant

This post has been edited by massacre: 08 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

#13 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

View Postmassacre, on Nov 8 2008, 04:34 PM, said:

these settings are inactive in TCP/IP > Extended, so they are irrelevant
Hm.. your attitude is extremely non-cooperative.
XP SP1 and probably old device drivers, insane settings (and ageiing 0.48a) is the way to get all sorts of problems.
Try to update things (it's free) and read guides here in the forum - how to set up eMule.

#14 User is offline   massacre 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

my device drivers should not have anything to do with emule, since when emule needs device drivers in the first place ?, and im not really in the market for "service packs" that negatively affect my program's performance, what insane settings ? if you are suggesting what was mentioned above then I changed those already when he mentioned them, I don't see any change as of yet

btw problems with device drivers usually result in BSODs alot sooner than they begin to affect the system, but in case they do, they would do so without emule's help, so if there is a problem with a driver in my system, then maybe the problem is in emule itself ? because then is the only time the problem occurs, assuming of corse that the problem actually is in a driver.

there is one possibility when it comes to drivers, is wingate, it installs a driver that possibly patches the kernel, but I find it to be a very remote possiblity that it has an effect on emule, anyway, now it no longer exists.

I have read all the guides in the subforum, there is nothing different in my settings, it's all according to them that it was configured.

btw, there isn't really so much room for a thing called "attitude" online, this is internet, you can't really know what is and what isn't, except for what is being typed, I never typed that I checked what you are suggesting, but it does not mean that I do not do it, alote of things are being done and not being typed, I check alote of things myself, you don't know it, because I don't type it, the forums are not a log of what I do or do not do, it is only space for anything that could be relevant to the subject, since my problems haven't been solved by my own attempts, so they are irrelevant to the subject.

and while on the subject of relevant, I find it hard to believe that maximum number of connections has a negative effect on memory use by emule, actual number of connection may, and probably will affect, but if that is all you can see then I suspect that the problem is not in any of the settings.

I kow that you don't see such a problem in your emule, im going to try to change some more settings and see if they have any effect

This post has been edited by massacre: 09 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

#15 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

In case there is any doubt, suggested 'safe' values will be:

Max Connections 200
Max New Connections/5sec 10 (most relevant in your case)
Max Half-Open Connections 9 (not vital given SP1, but use this for now).

Set to these. Shutdown and restart computer, run Emule for a few hours and see if problem persists.

#16 User is offline   gigicale 

• Pip

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

same problem of massacre on my pc
only difference is XP SP2

any sggestion to stop increasing not paged pool while emule is running ?

#17 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

Have you set the connection values to those I suggested in the previous post?

#18 User is offline   gigicale 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

After a couple of weeks the problem seems to be solved.
How ?
At first I connect just to the "eD2K Network" and leave emule working 24 hours without problem
After about 24 hour I joined the "Kad Network" too and this time it has been working well.
After other 24 hours in both network I don't experience increase in not paged pool

So it seems to be solved
What was then ?
Maybe a resource conflict between Kad network port and somethging else avoided when Kad new is not started immediately after e2dk net
(or maybe not)

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users