Official eMule-Board: Download Again A File Already Downloaded - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Download Again A File Already Downloaded Download improvement Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

Since a file is downloaded, it is impossible to download it again, unless you
do backups and alter the e-mule files.
It would be very simple to let the member download an already downloaded
file again.

UpMarc

#2 User is offline   poutnik 

• Mostly harmless idea generator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

If you can do backup, why do you need to download a file again ?
If you do not have a file, there is no problem with downloading.
Redownloading is not obvious action, so I do not need special treatment of this ad additional developer effort....
Well intended bad ideas should be rejected in a kind way.
Discussing your ideas means they are, or at least could be good, so it is positive event. :)
Non-english speaker easily misses the target when reading/searching before asking....

#3 User is offline   Stewe 

• 海賊
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

Since a file is downloaded, it is imwise to download it again.
Increase the size of your download by 50%, <a href='http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1' target='_blank'>RTFM!</a>

#4 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:02 PM

Both Poutnik and Stewe didn't think of my necessity (and other users, too) and replied in the sense that the system is correctly conceived. Didn't think either if my suggestion could mean economy for the e-mule developpers and satisfaction to the users. Should this be the spirit, and there would be no necessity of aksing for suggestions.
Thus, let's consider deeperly my (and other users, of course) necessity and satisfaction first. (And excuse me if my portuguese version make me use not so proper terms and words.)
Of course, it would be unwise to download again a file already downloaded if the user has its backup, what he must have for not indefinitely leaving files in the "COMPLETE FILES" directory. But if the user accidentaly loses this backup, how can he recover the lost file without extra work?
By what I understood, if the user changes some of the e-mule files or if he unistall and reinstall e-mule (deleting all control files), he'll be able to download again the previously downloaded file.
I have been system analist and IT manager in the most important bank in my country (and relating to data processing, the biggest in the world) for more than 20 years. And our rules were ever economy to the company and client's satisfaction.
E-mule had added extra programming lines (which means more maintaince, more possibility of errors and, of course, more costs) to block an action that the user WILL REALLY DO if he needs it. And the worst, the user will have NO SATISFACTION AT ALL in doing that.
My suggestion is: take away these extra control programming lines (this will be done just once) and e-mule will require less maintainance and there will be less possibilities of errors, with smaller costs. In addiction, there will be MORE SATISFACTION and LESS WORK to the users, as well as to e-mule's staff.

UpMarc

#5 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

UpMarc, on Jul 8 2006, 06:02 PM, said:

Both Poutnik and Stewe didn't think of my necessity (and other users, too) and replied in the sense that the system is correctly conceived. Didn't think either if my suggestion could mean economy for the e-mule developpers and satisfaction to the users. Should this be the spirit, and there would be no necessity of aksing for suggestions.
Thus, let's consider deeperly my (and other users, of course) necessity and satisfaction first. (And excuse me if my portuguese version make me use not so proper terms and words.)
Of course, it would be unwise to download again a file already downloaded if the user has its backup, what he must have for not indefinitely leaving  files in the "COMPLETE FILES" directory. But if the user accidentaly loses this backup, how can he recover the lost file without extra work?
By what I understood, if the user changes some of the e-mule files or if he unistall and reinstall e-mule (deleting all control files), he'll be able to download again the previously downloaded file.
I have been system analist and IT manager in the most important bank in my country (and relating to data processing, the biggest in the world) for more than 20 years. And our rules were ever economy to the company and client's satisfaction.
E-mule had added extra programming lines (which means more maintaince, more possibility of errors and, of course, more costs) to block an action that the user WILL REALLY DO if he needs it. And the worst, the user will have NO SATISFACTION AT ALL in doing that.
My suggestion is: take away these extra control programming lines (this will be done just once) and e-mule will require less maintainance and there will be less possibilities of errors, with smaller costs. In addiction, there will be MORE SATISFACTION and LESS WORK to the users, as well as to e-mule's staff.

UpMarc
View Post

PS: Whenever the user clicks "Download" on a searched file, just download it as was done in the first time. No necessity of extra programing lines to control unnecessary things.

#6 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

The only reason why you can't download a file is because you are either downloading it or because you've got it completed in your incoming folder. Both are valid reasons not to download a file again. Especially from an economical point of view this is a very efficient way of handling things.

Therefore your entire (rather large) essay seems kind of pointless.

This post has been edited by Andu: 08 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#7 User is offline   poutnik 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

One case when redownloading of file makes sense is:

After backing up and unsharing a file I sometimes do redownloding trial.
Then I can see sources number and their available parts.
It is for confirming of safe unsharing.
Discussing your ideas means they are, or at least could be good, so it is positive event. :)
Non-english speaker easily misses the target when reading/searching before asking....

#8 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

Andu, on Jul 8 2006, 06:38 PM, said:

The only reason why you can't download a file is because you are either downloading it or because you've got it completed in your incoming folder. Both are valid reasons not to download a file again. Especially from an economical point of view this is a very efficient way of handling things.

Therefore your entire (rather large) essay seems kind of pointless.
View Post

Of course, I'm new to this and some of my configurations can be wrong, but up to the point that I rightclicked on a searched file that I have already COMPLETELY downloaded AND THAT IS NOT ANYMORE IN MY INCOMING FOLDER, the option for downloading that file was always UNAVAILABLE.

Andu, I don't know who you are and what is your business and technical eperience, so, please. please tell us. Have you, tested what I am saying? Or either can you help me if my configuration is not correct? In my reply to Poutnic and Stewe I said what kind of experience I have on the subject. And it would be nice if the repliers could do the same so that this forum develops into a interchange that is salutary to e-mule as well as to its members.

It seems to me that the made suggestions are read by other members of e-mule who give a superficial and particular OPINION without any kind of technical or business foundation.

I also understand that when a suggestion is already present in the system and this is known by other members, it is very interesting the exchanging oppinions and explanations with more experienced users.

I wonder if the made suggestions really reach e-mule's staff and is considered profissionaly by them.

UpMarc

#9 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:37 AM

poutnik, on Jul 8 2006, 08:03 PM, said:

One case when redownloading of file makes sense is:

After backing up and unsharing a file I sometimes do redownloding trial.
Then I can see sources number and their available parts.
It is for confirming of safe unsharing.
View Post

First of all, thank you very much for your kind reply. And please tell me if you were successful or not in your redonloading trials. As I said to Andu, may be some of my configuration is wrong. And if so, could you help me to fix it? As far as I tried to redownload an already completely downloaded file, from the SEARCH PAGE. wich is not in my incoming forlder anymore, the option for downloading is unavailable.

As a foreigner, I hope I have been clear on some possible reasons (there may be others) for edownloading a file.

Thanks again

UpMarc

#10 User is offline   Esel4711 

• Platinum eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:16 AM

Be sure your shared files are up-to-date (that is: Press RELOAD in shared tab). Then download the file again. Come back if that does not work for you...
If justice rules the universe we are all in trouble...

#11 User is offline   poutnik 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

Esel4711 is right, I have forgotted to mention hit RELOAD after unsharing(moving) and before redownloading.
I was always successful in redownloading trial ( not full redownload of course ).
Note that I do not use official client, but mods ( MorphXT and Stullemule in past, Xtreme and TK4 recently)

Do you use categories ? Maybe they are configured to store downloaded files in other folders than incoming one.

This post has been edited by poutnik: 11 July 2006 - 10:22 AM

#12 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Esel4711, on Jul 11 2006, 10:16 AM, said:

Be sure your shared files are up-to-date (that is: Press RELOAD in shared tab). Then download the file again. Come back if that does not work for you...
View Post

I agree this should be the only thing that could prevent the redownload. If you delete a file from the incoming folder and not through eMule then the shared files are not updated. So unless you restart the client or press reload eMule will think the file is still available.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#13 User is offline   Stewe 

• 海賊
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

UpMarc, on Jun 25 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

Since a file is downloaded, it is impossible to download it again, unless you
do backups and alter the e-mule files.
It would be very simple to let the member download an already downloaded
file again.

UpMarc
View Post

Seeping lameness from every crack and crevice.
Increase the size of your download by 50%, <a href='http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1' target='_blank'>RTFM!</a>

#14 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Esel4711, on Jul 11 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

View Post

You are the one who treated my necessity objectively and has have given me the real clue for what I need (I wish all could do that).

Actually, I didn't find (yet) the RELOAD command or button, but I found in the menu the instruction "MARK AS CANCELLED". I did it and for my pleasure I could restart to download the needed file again. So, the instruction for a need similar to mine is:

"DOWNLOADING AN ALREADY DOWNLOADED FILE"

In the seach window, search again for the needed file. If there is any available source of it, it will be shown in red as a result of the search. Rightclick on it and choose the "MARK AS CANCELLED" option. Search it again and it will be shown in green as a result of your search. Rightclick on it and the option "DOWNLOAD" will be available again."

Esel4711, you are great!

I'm happy to see that the others envolved in my question agreed with Esel and started to look to my necessity as a real one.

Thank you very very much, Esel. And the others too, of course.

UpMarc

#15 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

UpMarc, on Jul 11 2006, 12:15 PM, said:

Esel4711, on Jul 11 2006, 05:16 AM, said:

View Post

You are the one who treated my necessity objectively and has have given me the real clue for what I need (I wish all could do that).

Actually, I didn't find (yet) the RELOAD command or button, but I found in the menu the instruction "MARK AS CANCELLED". I did it and for my pleasure I could restart to download the needed file again. So, the instruction for a need similar to mine is:

In the seach window, search again for the needed file. If there is any available source of it, it will be shown in red as a result of the search. Rightclick on it and choose the "MARK AS CANCELLED" option. Search it again and it will be shown in green as a result of your search. Rightclick on it and the option "DOWNLOAD" will be available again."

Esel4711, you are great!

I'm happy to see that the others envolved in my question agreed with Esel and started to look to my necessity as a real one.

Thank you very very much, Esel. And the others too, of course.

UpMarc
View Post

Improving the instruction:

In the seach window, search again for the needed file. If there is any available source of it, it will be shown in red as a result of the search, but the option "DOWNLOAD" will be disabled. Rightclick on it and choose the "MARK AS CANCELLED" option. Search it again and it will be shown in green as a result of your search. Rightclick on it and the option "DOWNLOAD" will be available again."

UpMarc

#16 User is offline   Devil Doll 

• feature request writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:56 AM

UpMarc, on Jul 11 2006, 04:23 PM, said:

In the seach window, search again for the needed file. If there is any available source of it, it will be shown in red as a result of the search, but the option "DOWNLOAD" will be disabled. Rightclick on it and choose the "MARK AS CANCELLED" option. Search it again and it will be shown in green as a result of your search. Rightclick on it and the option "DOWNLOAD" will be available again."
But that's nonsense. Downloading an already downloaded file isn't prevented by eMule at all! The download is blocked if and only if eMule thinks the file is still present on the hard disk, which you can "cure" by clicking the "reload" button in the right upper corner of the "files" page of eMule. That's it - no need for fancy voodoo like the stuff above.

#17 User is offline   Esel4711 

• Platinum eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:20 AM

"if eMule thinks the file is still present on the hard disk" ->
"if eMule thinks the file is still present in your shared folders"
If justice rules the universe we are all in trouble...

#18 User is offline   UpMarc 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Devil Doll, on Jul 11 2006, 09:56 PM, said:

UpMarc, on Jul 11 2006, 04:23 PM, said:

But that's nonsense. Downloading an already downloaded file isn't prevented by eMule at all! The download is blocked if and only if eMule thinks the file is still present on the hard disk, which you can "cure" by clicking the "reload" button in the right upper corner of the "files" page of eMule. That's it - no need for fancy voodoo like the stuff above.
View Post

There are people that prefer being unpolite than think properly of something. Don't be so "Devil", Doll. To do what you say, the downloaded file must be in the hard disk, but if you lost it... AS I SAID... No possible "RELOAD"... I think you didn't apreciate properly the question.... read it all from the beginning and just then you'll understand.

By the way, for me the subject is over and the real help from my need came from Esel4711. AS I SAID before (read it)... Congratulations to him either, for his looking objectively to the problem and for giving the real clue.

UpMarc

#19 User is offline   tirdil 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2022 - 12:53 AM

Problem: “eMule has found a file already downloaded” emule won’t let you redownload a file it thinks you already have even though you no longer have it. The solution to this is to:

Go to the ‘Shared Folders’ tab in emule. Down at the bottom where it says ‘downloaded history’. Single click on that to highlight the selection. Now single-click on any file in the right-hand pane. Single click on ‘actions’ then in the side menu that appears single click on ‘Clear downloaded history’. This will clear out the record of all previously downloaded files that you are not currently sharing or that are no longer in your downloads folder.

This will be helpful in allowing you to download previous downloaded files again that you no longer have in your current shared folder.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users