• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2003 - 07:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the comments.

More stuff on ipfilter.dat can be found here:
http://www.emule-pro...=ST&f=2&t=11076

Here's a sweet ipfilter.dat website:
http://p2p.webhop.org/
"You evil bastard! This is your work! You'd better take care of me, Lord... because if you don't you're going to have me on your hands." - Raul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

#22 User is offline   spliff 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2003 - 05:49 PM

Trypsin --

the only thing I'd change in your otherwise excellent tutorial is that it's <=127 and >127. I.e. 0-127 is blocked, 128 and higher is permitted.

#23 User is offline   trashmail 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:38 AM

After so many sites where some people just say use the ip filters and others don't use them, without really explaining why so, it's nice to come across one that sheds some light on the background of the ip list, the usage of which I find otherwise pretty straightforward.

While I was reading your tutorial it immediately came to my mind (since you do so much work with the lists you get - sort them, edit them, check them and so on) why don't you make the end result available online? Seems quite obvious to me that you would ;). That would be the real icing to this cool tutorial... wouldn't it? I mean this is the really painfull job (were you can also seriously screw things up - overlapping and shit), not copying the file in the appropriate dir and restarting the mule. At least consider it please, I'm sure I and many others would be really gratefull. ;)

#24 User is offline   Trypsin 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2003 - 05:00 PM

@Spliff. I just tested this again myself. I found that 127 is permitted, just as the FAQ says, too. Could you confirm this on your machine? I could see how one would think that the division should be 0-127 |128-255, because that divides 0-255 into two equal parts (I think).

@trashmail
IP blocklists are readily available on tons of sites, and after the first time of editing the list, it becomes quite easy. If people want simplicity, they can just cut and paste the cDonkey list and that'll be sufficient. Adding other parts of lists, or choosing to ban particular entries in cDonkey is really a personal thing. My ipfilter.dat reflects clients that have personally offended, my personal ISP, and lots of stuff from my government.

Also, someone emailed me saying that they are programming something(external to emule) that can check for overlapping ranges and duplicate entries. (Please PM me, whoever you are :P )

This post has been edited by Trypsin: 10 March 2003 - 05:29 PM

"You evil bastard! This is your work! You'd better take care of me, Lord... because if you don't you're going to have me on your hands." - Raul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

#25 User is offline   paladin674 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:14 PM

gibts das ganze auch auf deutsch :unsure: :blink:

#26 User is offline   startail 

• PipPip

Posted 10 March 2003 - 11:58 PM

I noticed that in the cDonkey IP.Filter file there's these lines
140.113.000.000 - 140.113.255.255 , 100 , Ministry of Education Computer Center
140.115.000.000 - 140.115.255.255 , 200 , Ministry of Education Computer Center

One of them are blocked, the other not.

I then get this out of it
2003-03-11 00:52:08: Filtered-IP Server: 140.113.56.112

I assume "Filtered-IP Server" means it's filtered a server, right ?

#27 User is offline   no4one 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:07 PM

140.113.000.000 - 140.113.255.255 , 100 , Ministry of Education Computer Center
140.115.000.000 - 140.115.255.255 , 200 , Ministry of Education Computer Center
One of them are blocked, the other not.

hm, possibly a bug . just edit the file to your likes
:rolleyes:

I then get this out of it
2003-03-11 00:52:08: Filtered-IP Server: 140.113.56.112
I assume "Filtered-IP Server" means it's filtered a server, right ?

yes - means you are probably also using a "mod client" since its not in the original 26d..

This post has been edited by no4one: 11 March 2003 - 02:08 PM

#28 User is offline   Theiphun 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:47 PM

gibt es diese anleitung auch in deusch [german]?

#29 User is offline   Trypsin 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2003 - 01:15 AM

Sorry, all I know is half a language (english). If anyone want's to translate the essentials then that would be great.

On another note, I might add that some of the mods have nifty new security features like protection against fakeport attacks, and autoadd to ipfilter.dat. The most prominant one that comes to mind is the LSD mod.

#30 User is offline   Neo532 

• Silver Mule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 15 March 2003 - 06:33 AM

I don't get it, when I look at the IP's that are blocked with ipfilter.dat, by http://cvs.suche.org...s.php/ip.prefix I can see that my ISP is there(which happens to be the biggest in France), which means that if you people use this list, you won't be able to download from me, and I won't be able to upload from you....
What I don't understand is WTF is my ISP( and others too) doing in this list :angry:

#31 User is offline   Boulder 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2003 - 07:29 AM

What's your ISP's address? Not everything on that list is blocked. If you mean wanadoo.fr, those IP addresses seem to be allowed, not blocked, in the list.

#32 User is offline   Trypsin 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:44 PM

(agreeing with Boulder) Although your ISP may be listed, it probably isn't blocked by default. As for why your ISP is in the list, well, your french ISP has found it's way onto a lot of lists of this sort, for one reason or another, in that it is considered to house a greater percentage of people trying to attack and spam. It's not the ISP itself, but individuals using the ISP.

But... it's not blocked by default. Sometimes, though, I do temporarily block off a whole ISP just to rid myself of one person. And that's why it's helpful to have these ISP's listed.

Also:
v0.27a has prompted me to update the HowTo a little.

#33 User is offline   drorsdd 

• -=??LSD-subforum??=-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2003 - 12:59 AM

hi typsin
i c in the link u gave http://p2p.webhop.org/
there are 2 kinds of lists "long" and "unified"
can u explain what the difference is?
which one should i use?

bye
<a href='http://earth.prohosting.com/drorsdd/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page1**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page2**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v01.zip' target='_blank'>**eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v0.1**</a>
webtmpl sample images [1] [2]

#34 User is offline   Trypsin 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2003 - 04:20 AM

I think you are talking about
http://cvs.suche.org...s.php/ip.prefix

If you are making a new list, click on the header "1.29 by lussnig" and just use that. Don't worry about all the diffs with previous versions.

#35 User is offline   brutus70 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2003 - 10:09 PM

Ok I'm new to ipfiltering so please bear with me. I was following the directions and I copy and pasted all those ip's to ipfilter.dat.....but when I ran emule, within minutes it crashes. So I went through all of them and picked out ones that I thought I should filter........does anybody know of a list of ip's we should DEFINATELY block?..... ones that have 0 sources and are just monitoring?

#36 User is offline   Mig21 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2003 - 08:33 AM

whoa! i thought i write long posts!

good job buddy

#37 User is offline   BlackFlag 

• PipPip

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:17 PM

suggestion:
centralize and automate.

-OR-

put a big fat button on the top toolbar for entering bad ip lists. people will wonder what its for, and end up learning something. moreover, there will be a HEAVY demand for reliable updated lists.

google "emule server.met" and you'll get a zillion results. i'd like to see similar results with "emule block list"

#38 User is offline   Mig21 

• Magnificent Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:21 PM

google "emule server.met" and you'll get a zillion results. i'd like to see similar results with "emule block list"

i doubt that has anything to do with the mule team, other then the increased ease of use

#39 User is offline   BlackFlag 

• PipPip

Posted 31 March 2003 - 12:28 PM

Mig21, on Mar 31 2003, 12:21 PM, said:

i doubt that has anything to do with the mule team, other then the increased ease of use

you missed that point.
(which was)
if you increase the visibility of the feature, there will be more support for it from 3rd parties.

you can't get much mor visible than not being able to connect without a server.met.

#40 User is offline   Jernhenrik 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2003 - 10:42 PM

Does anyone knows if there is a similar filter for ZoneAlarm, and if.. how to use it ?

Thanks

• Member Options

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users