Official eMule-Board: More Intelligent Chunk Selection - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

More Intelligent Chunk Selection When Downloading "rare"/ few source file Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DaftasBrush 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

I'm currently downloading a "largeish" file 1.12Gb

Now I'm connected to 5 (sometimes 6) clients... it's a "rare" file so that's probably all of them.

4 have the complete file
and the other 2 have like 50% and 90%

My Problem is as follows

When I finally get connected to a complete source... it "almost always" downloads a chunk that both of the partial sources already have.

Hence I don't have anything to upload to either of them... so I can't improve my rating with them... so it takes just as long to get through their queues as it does to get through the complete sources.

My Suggestion.

If you connect to a complete source.. download the "least" available chunk.
("Least" available based on currently connected clients)
Or a random chunk selected from the "equally" least available. (if there are multiple chunks with the least availability)

That way you have something that other partial clients want and you can start improving your rating with them and since they will be doing the same they will improve their rating with you.

I can't see any draw-backs to this.. only upside...
Although I'm prepared to be corrected on that.

Cheers
Dan

This post has been edited by DaftasBrush: 28 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

#2 User is offline   fractal.design 

• '///.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

I am surprised this is not allready part of the network model.

Very good post :)
A better informed userbase means more speed for everyone.
HeavyMetal Helmet Warrior for the T.W.O.

user posted image user posted image

#3 User is offline   Xman1 

• Xtreme Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

patch already available
http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=67087

#4 User is offline   MasterJunior 

• no more then I have to, if that. EndGame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:56 PM

this isnt installed in the offical client??? I dont see anything to download or anything so I dont know how to install that stuff, but if it is a better way then why isnt it in official client?? (if its not already)

This post has been edited by MasterJunior: 29 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

I'm wasted away, i make a million mistakes, theres a storm in my head, it rains on my bed, when your not here, im not afraid of dyin, but i am afraid of loosing you, maybe im addicted, im outta control, but your the drug that keeps me from dyin, maybe im a liar, but all i really kno, is your the only reason im tryin, when your lying next to me, your love is flowing through to me oh its beautiful, everythings clear to me, untill i hit reality and then i loose it all...... I love you eMule!!!

Bored??? Release your inner mule and get involved with your favorite file sharing program, EMULE!!!!!! Check out my feature request.
Modifications!!!....................Speed Up eMule!!! Partly Done
On Queue 2........................Individual Max Sources/File Partly Done
Advanced Sorting.................Slot for Small Files
Easy Switching.Partly Done....Advanced Priority System
To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe

#5 User is offline   gandalf_junior 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

Hy !

I was about to post about this idea... fortunately I made a search before posting !
... but, unfortunately I don't know how I can patch my version to take profit of this great idea...

Something like this improvement couldn't be include in a new version (I'm amazed it's not already done) ? or in a real patch or something like that ?
It could help the entire community, helping us to share intelligently the rare parts of a file...

Help !
Thanks

#6 User is offline   1eiht7 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:15 AM

oh yeah man good post. uploading files that nobody has, i see myself uploading many times the same parts as there are some chunks that nobody has. thats how two-three files from me are now permanent uncomplete files (since i lost the original files or even the hash number changed)

i think there would be alot less uncomplete files on ed2k if the rare chunks thing was applied, since in theory the one with the original file would need to upload the file only once its full size so it's available as a full file to anyone, cuz now some files have to be uploaded 3 times their size so other people have it full.

#7 User is offline   ukraine01 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:50 AM

DaftasBrush, on Mar 28 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

My Suggestion.

If you connect to a complete source.. download the "least" available chunk.
("Least" available based on currently connected clients)
Or a random chunk selected from the "equally" least available. (if there are multiple chunks with the least availability)

That way you have something that other partial clients want and you can start improving your rating with them and since they will be doing the same they will improve their rating with you.

I think this has already been implemented, at least in my 0.45b. I have been watching my downloads a lot (actually, way too much) and noticed how intelligent emule has been which chunks to download. It picks the chunk to download that others don't have. Then the others download it from me, and I get promoted in their queues as a result.

#8 User is offline   f5inet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

GOOD POST/GOOD IDEA/GOOD FEATURE

#9 User is offline   fabtar 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:41 AM

DaftasBrush, on Mar 28 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

I'm currently downloading a "largeish" file  1.12Gb

Now I'm connected to 5 (sometimes 6) clients... it's a "rare" file so that's probably all of them.
ng that other partial clients want and you can start improving your rating with them and since they will be doing the same they will improve their rating with you.

I can't see any draw-backs to this.. only upside...
Although I'm prepared to be corrected on that.

Cheers
Dan
View Post

I',ve heard about a similar feature time ago.. your description and analysiis is quite better.
:+1:

#10 User is offline   Firnus 

• Fedora user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

see the SF-IOM function:

* Hide overshares(Tag: "SLUGFILLER: hideOS") - This feature attempts to balance the amount of time different parts of each file are uploaded, by not revealing to other users parts that have been uploaded a certain amount of times more than others, making them only download the parts that have been uploaded less. It uses the data from the spreadbars to decide how many times each part was uploaded. It ignores, of course, any parts that either you don't have, or that the other user already has, so that at least one part that can be uploaded is always revealed to the other user. You can set the amount of times a part has to be uploaded more than others before it's hidden, or 0 to disable(Default: 5).
* Selective chunk sharing(Tag: "SLUGFILLER: hideOS") - You can choose to make hide overshares stricter by only revealing one chunk to each user, starting with the least uploaded chunks, and considering the chunks that were already offered when choosing the next. Hide overshares must not be disabled for this to work(Off by default).
source > http://sfiom.ath.cx/features.asp

an enkeydev function

Inteligent Chunk Selection
From enkeyDev! To avoid two or more users choose to download the same chunk, ECS relies only on randomness: users choose randomly *hoping* to choose a different chunk each; in ICS users exchange infos about what chunk is being downloaded ATM, then a user can choose the less-downloaded (priority: spread the file faster); in ICS the user preference "first/last chunk" take importance only when there are NO rare chunks (priority: spread the file); With ICS, the same situation is a release-mode one, then you will choose the shortest-to-complete chunk that is not being downloaded ATM by any other client. This increase the probability you and the other clients would have downloaded different chunks and keep (globally) a complete source for the file, though a couple of sources quit...
source > http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=57803

Bye
Vous souhaitez être aider pour un problème sur eMule ?
Parce que nous ne sommes pas devin: /!\ A Lire Avant De Poster /!\
Parce que certains ont bossé pour proposer des 'tutoriels' le plus clair possible: TADELU
Parce que VOUS êtes intelligent > High ID: comprendre les tutos pour mieux les appliquer

TRFM >> Des infos sur les Mods

> Le libre à Lille - -

If you are in english section: sorry for my bad english .... I 'll do my best .... ;)

#11 User is offline   Devil Doll 

• feature request writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

1eiht7, on Apr 27 2005, 05:15 AM, said:

in theory the one with the original file would need to upload the file only once its full size so it's available as a full file to anyone
Well, but in reality not all clients actively trade uploaded chunks, and many downloaders remove a file they received from their shares as soon as possible. So if you feel responsible for your releases you have to take care about them, and if you don't then you just leave incomplete files out there, and there's nothing that can reasonably prevent this. We're not living in a perfect world after all.

#12 User is offline   Firnus 

• Fedora user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

UP !

A solution to integrate chunk selection in official ?

A best chunk selection for Upload and Download whatever is by XMan, enkeydev or someone else !

Thanks !!!!

This post has been edited by Firnus: 03 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Vous souhaitez être aider pour un problème sur eMule ?
Parce que nous ne sommes pas devin: /!\ A Lire Avant De Poster /!\
Parce que certains ont bossé pour proposer des 'tutoriels' le plus clair possible: TADELU
Parce que VOUS êtes intelligent > High ID: comprendre les tutos pour mieux les appliquer

TRFM >> Des infos sur les Mods

> Le libre à Lille - -

If you are in english section: sorry for my bad english .... I 'll do my best .... ;)

#13 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

This is already in since a long time. However there are other factors too, for example it is the highest priority to finish a part, iirc the rare-factor is right on the second place (might be even on the first place in some cases, im too lazy too look it up excactly right now).
There is no intention of changing this behaviour at this time.

#14 User is offline   slowsilver 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:11 PM

"The highest priority to finish a part" is hugely over-dramatized. To be exact: to the point where it causes significant damage to the efficiency of the segment of network that is interested in files that do not have hundreds of sources.
Some files are rare because nobody wants them.

eMule has enough anti-corruption measures.
-- SF, Oct 30 2005, 07:08 PM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users