Official eMule-Board: Upload Throttling Performance Improvements - Official eMule-Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Upload Throttling Performance Improvements support for high speeds on single slot

#21 User is offline   Enig123 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

lupzz, would you please offer a patch file based on 0.47a?

#22 User is offline   lupzz 

• PipPip

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

the port is simple, anyway when i get some spare time i'll do it... i don't know when anyway, i'm a bit busy with my thesis

#23 User is offline   Enig123 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

I've tried to apply this patch to the 0.47a-based source. There's a new large paragraph of sources in file UploadBandwidthThrottler.cpp which puzzled me. Although the patch can be applied anyway, the datarate cannot cannot reach the limit (less).

Any help on this point is apprieciated.

#24 User is offline   zz 

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Debugger

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

I've done some tests to see what improves LAN transfer performance the most. Some of the things that affects the speed is:

- The splitting of the packages before uploading (they are split into 10240 bytes packages). If I disable splitting, I can transfer much faster. With default request size, that means I send 180KBytes packets.

- The disable of the sleep that is suggested by lupzz. There's also an if(timeSinceLastLoop == 0) that sets bytesToSpend = 0. It needs to be changed to set bytesToSpend = realBytesToSpend/1000.

- The buffering from disk. Current standard eMule makes sure there's at least 100 KBytes in the buffer after the disk loading is done (this means one req block at 180Kbytes is what's most often read, since it read entire blocks at the time). Making this buffer dynamic so it can grow for fast sockets improves the transfer speed in a LAN. Slugfiller also have an implementation that requests the buffer to be filled on demand, but I haven't tested that implementation and don't know if it helps with performance. Growing the buffer size theoretically seems good, since it can read more data at the same time, hopefully leveraging cache and read-ahead better.

- Size of req blocks from the remote clients. Normally 3 req blocks at 180 KBytes each is requested. Maximum allowed to be requested from a standard eMule is 3*180KBytes in one req block, otherwise the upload is aborted (IDS_ERR_LARGEREQBLOCK). For really high speeds it would be recommended to request that size. I also tried requested one chunk at a time, and that increased speed even more, but that can't be done from a normal eMule client.

- The socket buffers: These doesn't seem to affect much on a LAN if the above modifications are in. I think socket buffers mostly internet transfers.

My current record in speed is 8.5 MBytes/s on a single socket over my Gigabit LAN. As a comparison, the Windows file sharing client (mount a remote hd) transfers at about 16 MBytes/s over the same LAN.

Over internet the record for a single socket is 80KBytes/s (100% of eMule's allowed bandwidth at the time). I think the larger socket buffers helped with this internet transfer. This transfer was done to a friend in the same country, but not at the same ISP and not in the same town.

/zz B)

This post has been edited by zz: 15 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

ZZUL - get control of your uploads: ZZUL Forum

#25 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

To what conclusion does that lead us? Will some of these proposals make their way into the next eMule version or not? Maybe only into your mod for testing purposes?
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#26 User is offline   zz 

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:27 PM

Some of the changes I have done make sense for performance, but not for the readability of the code. I'm not even sure I want to release them as part of ZZUL, but I'll propably end up including most of them there. This hesitation is the reason I haven't released a ZZUL on 0.47a yet.

/zz B)

#27 User is offline   lupzz 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

zz, on Jan 23 2006, 07:49 PM, said:

Iirc the Send() method pulls the packets one by one and puts them on socket. That's why there's more than one send() calls for Send() with a large max-size.

Have you tested with and without that part, but the other changes in place? Any difference?

I'm experimenting with skipping the sleep call, I'm guessing that and the larger send buffers would have the most effect. But since I have a slower connection I can only regression test them, I can't test that they have any effect on a faster connection. :)

/zz B)
View Post

sorry for the late reply, i've eventually found an available good tester on a 6mbit dsl (that is quite good to test the upload anyway)

i uploaded to him with my sym 10mbit connection and the real limit is 630kb/s (tested with different programs)

well you were right about the other mods, i've left them there because i started with thos but doensn't help the upload speed, here are my results:

original patch: 610-625kb/s
only with the sleep mod: 630kb/s steady

zz, on Feb 15 2006, 05:20 PM, said:

I've done some tests to see what improves LAN transfer performance the most. Some of the things that affects the speed is:
View Post

so i tested also these ones and the results (with only the sleep mod)

- The splitting of the packages before uploading (they are split into 10240 bytes packages). If I disable splitting, I can transfer much faster. With default request size, that means I send 180KBytes packets.
View Post

580kb/s

- The disable of the sleep that is suggested by lupzz. There's also an if(timeSinceLastLoop == 0) that sets bytesToSpend = 0. It needs to be changed to set bytesToSpend = realBytesToSpend/1000.
View Post

correcting bytesToSpend
610kb/s

- The buffering from disk. Current standard eMule makes sure there's at least 100 KBytes in the buffer after the disk loading is done (this means one req block at 180Kbytes is what's most often read, since it read entire blocks at the time). Making this buffer dynamic so it can grow for fast sockets improves the transfer speed in a LAN. Slugfiller also have an implementation that requests the buffer to be filled on demand, but I haven't tested that implementation and don't know if it helps with performance. Growing the buffer size theoretically seems good, since it can read more data at the same time, hopefully leveraging cache and read-ahead better.
View Post

still 630kb/s steady but i think this one with multiple uploads can help..

- Size of req blocks from the remote clients. Normally 3 req blocks at 180 KBytes each is requested. Maximum allowed to be requested from a standard eMule is 3*180KBytes in one req block, otherwise the upload is aborted (IDS_ERR_LARGEREQBLOCK). For really high speeds it would be recommended to request that size. I also tried requested one chunk at a time, and that increased speed even more, but that can't be done from a normal eMule client.
View Post

don't tested because needed a little more work to test this

- The socket buffers: These doesn't seem to affect much on a LAN if the above modifications are in. I think socket buffers mostly internet transfers.
View Post

i haven't tested because i've already changed there and there is no improvement with bigger buffers when the mods are in (as you've noted too)

btw good work i think the important one is only the sleep as you pointed to me the first time, with that one the speed goes to the top

the disk buffer i think can help when sending to that speed but to test this i need another 10mbit where to reach the full speed is really more difficult than the 6mbit

as always will make you know, and thanks for your tests :)

#28 User is offline   zz 

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

Most of the changes I wrote about helped me go from about 2 Mbytes/s to higher speeds, so it's reasonable that they didn't do much for the < 700KBytes/s speed. Some of those changes also needed small collateral changes to really work, and I didn't have the time to list those above. I'll try to remember to post some pointers to the ZZUL code when I get the time to release it, so the exact changes can be reviewed.

It's a little strange though that the speed decreased when you stopped setting bytesToSpend = 0. Maybe I have missed something when I reviewed that code. Or possibly it was just random fluctuations of the speed.

As you say, the sleep-change is the most effective part, the other one's are just extras that may not be needed for internet transfers. I'm not sure how often eMule is used at LAN partys, etc, so maybe it's not necessary to optimize for a LAN with low pings and high bw.

/zz B)

#29 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Doesn't Elandal have a highspeed connection and helps the devs do some highspeed tests with their releases? Maybe he would be willing to give us a hand with the tests here. lupzz you could always just ask the devs if they have an alpha/beta tester that can help you with your highspeed tests.

zz I think that eMule is used on some university networks. I guess it's pretty common in those alongside with DC. BT doesn't make much sense in those networks since searches are impossible.

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

#30 User is offline   lupzz 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

i'm available with my 10mbit for all tests somebody want to do (i'm natted though)

@zz
i will test more throughly all the mods with another 10mbit

if you can explain what you change better, i will try to that tests too

#31 User is offline   leexgx 

• UK MAD FOR LESS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

i got 10mb/512kb (1.2MB/60KB) if you need some one to upload to (windows 2000)

Note 10mb bb should be 1MB as an min (as i seen some one stateing 630KB download on an 10mb line thats 5mb bb ish)
in and around

#32 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:57 PM

leexgx the remote client only had 6Mbit downspeed and that's why they didn't get more than that amount of transfer speed. Nobody said that 10Mbit would be 6xx kB/s.

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

#33 User is offline   leexgx 

• UK MAD FOR LESS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

i read it an little more even so i have got 10mb down not 6mb down so you can use me as an ginny pig if you wish ( lupzz ) we can get full use of your 10mb line

you be the first emule to ever flat line my download (with emule any way)

This post has been edited by leexgx: 18 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

in and around

#34 User is offline   lupzz 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

i've done more tests and i found out that:
1) the setsockopt's on windows are a must... last time i've tested only amule on linux which without the setsockopt goes better
on windows instead without the send buffer enlargement you get very low performance
this is due to the linux send buffer auto-tuning which on windows isn't done

2) actually on windows the linear scaling of fragment number helps too, on linux not... i think i need more tests of this one

so actually i get the best results on windows only with the very first version of the mod

p.s.: remember the rule-of-thumb to compute the optimal buffer size is: 2 * rtt * capacity
we've about 30ms rtt and 10mbit so: .03 * 10^7 / 8 * 2 / 2^10 = 73k buffer

but with the line congested by the mule uploads and some other os buffering you can get to 100ms so i've found out that the best window size for our lines is: .1 * 10^7 / 8 * 2 / 2^10 = 244k ~= 256k

remember that a bigger window is always a preferable choice because the cwnd (is really reno on windows ? :huh:) already does the "dirty job" of limiting the packets you put on the network

obviously this tuning is a lot line-dependant :)

#35 User is offline   SiRoB 

• Retired Morph Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hi lupzz,
if you have some time and a connection that permit some extra testing.
Could you make some test with the latest MorphXT and report your result here.
Thanks.
eMule 0.47c MorphXT v9.5 ::binary::source::

#36 User is offline   Xman1 

• Xtreme Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

@lupzz
when you increase the sendbuffer, you only think about the throughput to a single client. You are right, you can increase this throuput. But you have to consider the throuput of all sockets... and there is one danger with a big sendbuffer:
at clients, which are blocking very oftenly, the sendbuffer will be filled up. then it can take up to a few seconds and the whole sendbuffer will be sent. In practice this means, there are times, when only sendbuffers are filled and there are times when many sockets send it's buffer.
Increasing the buffer -> your upload becomes more "zigzag" and is more oftenly saturated or you send too less.

• Member Options

• (2 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users