Official eMule-Board: Automatically Set Server Priority To Low - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Automatically Set Server Priority To Low if it cannot accept all of shared files Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mithgol 

• Fidonet SysOp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:07 AM

It's always disappointing to receive something like 'Warning: this server accepts only 1000 shares per client; not all of your shares will be propagated.'

However, one still cannot avoid it when the connection to, say, Razorback 2, is lost and eMule happily snatches some other server IP -- which, quite probably, correspond to a minor server with limited sharebase capabilities.

I am already tired of having to set 'Low' priority by my own hands to those servers in the list that have <1000 or <2000 file limit. This should happen automatically: eMule knows very well how much files I share, so eMule should not connect to a server if that one is unable to handle all the shares.

eMule should automatically set server priority to 'Low' or ban it entirely from being connected in this case. And this decision should be made on the base of already known file limit of the server, without waiting for any additional warning messages from that server.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Fungi_From_Youggoth 

• Grandmaster Cow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:57 AM

Actually Xrmb once coded a little something that could be used for this purpose.

Have a look here. The mod is called "pick the best server to connect"

FFY
"I never found a companion that was quite so companionable as solitude"
- Henry David Thoreau

- What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn" didn't you understand?

#3 User is offline   Mithgol 

• Fidonet SysOp
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:01 PM

Fungi_From_Youggoth, on May 14 2005, 10:57 AM, said:

Actually Xrmb once coded a little something that could be used for this purpose.

Have a look here. The mod is called "pick the best server to connect"

FFY
View Post
I wouldn't go so far to demand the best server to connect; this feature effectively overcentralizes the network, so I probably understand why it's left in mod, not merged into the official codebase.

My humble feature request is just not to connect to the worst of servers, that's all. And which are the worst -- it is still a relative criterion, it depends upon the number of shares I am offering.

#4 User is offline   Devil Doll 

• feature request writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

Mithgol, on May 14 2005, 06:07 AM, said:

However, one still cannot avoid it when the connection to, say, Razorback 2, is lost and eMule happily snatches some other server IP -- which, quite probably, correspond to a minor server with limited sharebase capabilities.
The MorphXT mod has a setting in the "Eastshare" options named "prefer share all" which would do exactly what you want.

#5 User is offline   Mithgol 

• Fidonet SysOp
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Devil Doll, on May 14 2005, 08:15 PM, said:

The MorphXT mod has a setting in the "Eastshare" options named "prefer share all" which would do exactly what you want.
View Post
Great. :respect:

So my feature request is asking for the same source code to be added back from mod to the official codebase for the new improved release of eMule... :worthy: :angelnot:

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users