• +
  • Last »

Ipfilter.dat And Guarding.p2p

#21 User is offline   Sheep Me 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:46 PM

I think it's ridiculous. ipfilter_full.dat blocks out about 3/4 of every IP address in the world, am I right? It's a little too many, don't you think?

#22 User is offline   MasterJunior 

• no more then I have to, if that. EndGame
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:15 PM

So how would i update my filter in eMule?? When you go to preferences and then Security it ask for a URL, is there a way I could just do it my self?? IDK, im lost
I'm wasted away, i make a million mistakes, theres a storm in my head, it rains on my bed, when your not here, im not afraid of dyin, but i am afraid of loosing you, maybe im addicted, im outta control, but your the drug that keeps me from dyin, maybe im a liar, but all i really kno, is your the only reason im tryin, when your lying next to me, your love is flowing through to me oh its beautiful, everythings clear to me, untill i hit reality and then i loose it all...... I love you eMule!!!

Bored??? Release your inner mule and get involved with your favorite file sharing program, EMULE!!!!!! Check out my feature request.
Modifications!!!....................Speed Up eMule!!! Partly Done
On Queue 2........................Individual Max Sources/File Partly Done
Advanced Sorting.................Slot for Small Files
Easy Switching.Partly Done....Advanced Priority System
To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe

#23 User is offline   Bis 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

MasterJunior, on Sep 21 2004, 05:15 PM, said:

So how would i update my filter in eMule?? When you go to preferences and then Security it ask for a URL, is there a way I could just do it my self?? IDK, im lost
View Post

There are install instructions at the site from first post.

ipfilter.dat should be placed in config directory in emule folder.

This post has been edited by Bis: 21 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

#24 User is offline   MasterJunior 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:07 PM

Thanks, will this slow down my connections or use up more bandwidth because its gotta check more IPs?? My old files was only 509 KBs and this new one is 4.74 MB.
I'm wasted away, i make a million mistakes, theres a storm in my head, it rains on my bed, when your not here, im not afraid of dyin, but i am afraid of loosing you, maybe im addicted, im outta control, but your the drug that keeps me from dyin, maybe im a liar, but all i really kno, is your the only reason im tryin, when your lying next to me, your love is flowing through to me oh its beautiful, everythings clear to me, untill i hit reality and then i loose it all...... I love you eMule!!!

Bored??? Release your inner mule and get involved with your favorite file sharing program, EMULE!!!!!! Check out my feature request.
To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe

#25 User is offline   Bis 

• PipPip

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:06 PM

MasterJunior, on Sep 21 2004, 07:07 PM, said:

Thanks, will this slow down my connections or use up more bandwidth because its gotta check more IPs?? My old files was only 509 KBs and this new one is 4.74 MB.
View Post

No, it shouldn't slow anything. Of course, this will eat some CPU time and RAM, but ip filtering isn't very resource hungry task, unless you have extremely high number of sources (or rather high rate of connections per second).

Nevertheless, i think using ipfilter_full.dat is a bit overkill, better stick with normal ipfilter.dat (it's slightly more than 1MB).

#26 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:45 AM

Bis, on Sep 21 2004, 08:06 PM, said:

Nevertheless, i think using ipfilter_full.dat is a bit overkill, better stick with normal ipfilter.dat (it's slightly more than 1MB).

It's clearly stated. For P2P the standard ipfilter/guarding list is the recommended one. The full list contains all and everything and it's useful if you are paranoid :ph34r:.

From openmedia.info:

If you are purely interested in making your P2P sharing a little bit saver, it's recommended to use the guarding.p2p file. It contains only the reserved IANA address ranges and the Anti-P2P list. The benefit of this list is that it has only half the size of the full one resulting in much faster loading times and better performance due to reduced filtering.

FreeBSD MLdonkey binaries - guarding.p2p - ipfilter.dat
=> http://www.openmedia.info <=

#27 User is offline   MasterJunior 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:02 PM

Whats the point of making it a little safer when you can 4Xs that protection, Ill use the full :P, Dont want to lose my internet :D

#28 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:27 PM

MasterJunior, on Sep 22 2004, 05:02 PM, said:

Whats the point of making it a little safer when you can 4Xs that protection, Ill use the full :P, Dont want to lose my internet :D
View Post

It depends very much on what you are doing and how. I for instance run a FreeBSD box, so why care about blocking Spyware or Adware (which is in the full list)? :woot:

This post has been edited by MadMac: 22 September 2004 - 11:29 PM

#29 User is offline   MasterJunior 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:30 PM

Whats a BSD??? prabably something simple but I dont know :P

#30 User is offline   Sheep Me 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:56 AM

MadMac, on Sep 23 2004, 01:27 AM, said:

It depends very much on what you are doing and how. I for instance run a FreeBSD box, so why care about blocking Spyware or Adware (which is in the full list)? :woot:

What's the idea anyway, of blocking spyware and adware from within Emule? What is the threat on a Windows box?

#31 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:26 AM

Sheep Me, on Sep 23 2004, 04:56 AM, said:

What's the idea anyway, of blocking spyware and adware from within Emule? What is the threat on a Windows box?
View Post

Who said it's for emule only? :-k

#32 User is offline   Sheep Me 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:43 PM

MadMac, on Sep 23 2004, 10:26 AM, said:

Who said it's for emule only?  :-k

You're right, but after all this is the "official Emule-board". :D

I am a little worried about this excessive filtering. It seems to me like a misuse of the ability to do IP address filtering in Emule. We mindlessly install this pre-compiled list, blocking out 3/4 of the entire Internet, without knowing anything about who we are blocking, who wants us to and why. Just as important we don't know who (if any) removes the IP address ranges from the list, when the owners no longer cause a threat, or when a range gets new owners. Hundreds of thousands of harmless potential Emule users might be blocked with this list. I seriously doubt that anyone is able to maintain such a large list of IP addresses, without fucking it up. Even Google, from looking at my IP address, have had trouble figuring out if I'm from Denmark or the Netherlands, and I trust Google a hell of a lot more to get it right, than I trust Bluetack (I've never heard of them before).

Luckily (yes, I think it's pure luck) my IP address isn't included in this list, but I fear some day it will be by accident. If it is, I complain and it's removed, I don't expect people to keep their list up to date, so they might be blocking me for a long time. I cross my fingers that people won't use these lists...

#33 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:38 AM

Sheep Me, on Sep 23 2004, 05:43 PM, said:

[Hundreds of thousands of harmless potential Emule users might be blocked with this list.

Yes, your are completely right. In the existing lists there are a lot of ISP's included which represent the Dial-In points for thousands of normal users. It's ridiculous to block all of them after one user may have done something bad. When you take a look you will find aggressive clients, pinger's, port scanners etc. and listed with this remarks are then the ISP's. Complete bullshit to include those ranges and this harms the network as it blocks normal users.

Therefore we are working on a way to defuse the existing lists and remove these mistakenly blocked ranges. The first changes are done and hopefully the successrate of excluding normal users in the blocklists will increase further. Some details about this you can read here http://www.openmedia...wtopic.php?p=22 and at http://www.mldonkey.org

This post has been edited by MadMac: 24 September 2004 - 07:40 AM

#34 User is offline   MrBarby 

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:31 PM

cheers for those, should prove useful :)

#35 User is offline   Sheep Me 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:43 AM

MadMac, on Sep 24 2004, 09:38 AM, said:

Therefore we are working on a way to defuse the existing lists and remove these mistakenly blocked ranges. The first changes are done and hopefully the successrate of excluding normal users in the blocklists will increase further.

They should never have been blocked in the first place. :) It's like getting a virus and trying to clean it out, you'll never know if you're safe again.

I still have a bunch of questions, I thank you for your time and patience to answer them. :)

These mistakenly blocked ranges you are talking about, were any of those blocked in the original ipfilter.dat-file (not the full one)?

Why are you even providing a "full" list for P2P use?

What is the story on all of this? What is the relation between Bluetack, Methlabs and you? Are Methlabs still updating the list, or are they just keeping a copy of the old Peerguardian-list? Will your lists be a modified version of Methlabs' or are you and Methlabs running your lists in parallel, completely independent of each other?

How did Bluetack manage to harvest such a large amount of ranges? Did they hire a thousand men to search the Internet 8 hours a day, for six months or how did they do it?

This post has been edited by Sheep Me: 25 September 2004 - 09:44 AM

#36 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:14 PM

Well, actually it's pretty simple. There are a lot of guys around compiling different lists with bad or suspicious IP's for quite some time. This data is accumulated and combined to the ipfilter lists. More and more ranges are blocked and nobody dares to take certain questionable ranges off because of the "unknown" status".

The current source of reference are the bluetack lists. I have no affiliation with them, just use the raw data as basis. I compile guarding.p2p filter lists for the mldonkey community; there are other guys who do the same for emule and other clients.

AFAIK some helpful guys and me are currently the only ones who look into the blocked ISP ranges. I think it would be good to join forces and get this issue solved in some way. But it's always a question of trust :+1:

Mac
info@openmedia.info

#37 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:02 PM

The new blocklists are online. From now on we're excluding a huge list of ISP's dial-in points (>10000) which are no longer affected. The whitelist is available at the openmedia forum http://www2.openmedi...wtopic.php?p=31.Thanks a lot to Surround from the german MLdonkey forum for his help.

As always here is the list of blocked ranges:
standard: 15106
full: 85281

#38 User is offline   muletime 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

If I wanted to block out all IP address, except a few, is this the correct syntax:

0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255.000,invalid
a.b.0.0-a.b.255.255.000,valid
f.g.0.0-f.g.255.255.000,valid

I'm not sure of the correct syntax.. does an overlapping range work in this case?

Or am I going to have to write a program that inverts all my in-IPs, to out-IPs?

#39 User is offline   MadMac 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

For the correct syntax take a look at the ipfilter-help: http://emule-project...ic&topic_id=142

It's important to use spaces between the entries/commas.

A value of 000 (<127) means the range is blocked, a value of 200 (>127) means the range is permitted. But I'm not sure if emule can handle the combination of both. If it's not working you can use the blocklist manager from Bluetack to create a specific list for your needs.

This post has been edited by MadMac: 27 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

#40 User is offline   muletime 

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:01 AM

MadMac, on Sep 27 2004, 10:45 PM, said:

For the correct syntax take a look at the ipfilter-help: http://emule-project...ic&topic_id=142

It's important to use spaces between the entries/commas.

A value of 000 (<127) means the range is blocked, a value of 200 (>127) means the range is permitted. But I'm not sure if emule can handle the combination of both. If it's not working you can use the blocklist manager from Bluetack to create a specific list for your needs.
View Post

Thanks. So, the words on the end are just a comment. I ran into a description about how emule handled overlapping ranges, and I don't think it did. It's too hard for its list manager.

One way to do all this would be to keep a 500MB bit map, but it could get prohibitive with IPv6. ;-)

I think I'm going to have to write an inverter program. My plan is to get the IP ranges of the Chinese, Koreans, (asians), maybe the Germans, and swap especially dodgy popular files with them. It's UK and USA where all the traps lie. My guess is that USA has about half the IP range, and it would be difficult to filter them out. Easier just to leave them out in the first place.

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users