Official eMule-Board: Mp3 Bitrate - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Mp3 Bitrate Implemented in future versions?

#1 User is offline   CrAzEdBaDgEr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:37 PM

To start off, I'm new to this forum, so if there is an old thread I can be directed to, or if there's a better place to post this, please let me know. I was wondering if any information about the quality of an mp3 file (bitrate, etc.) can be obtained through the eMule client without actually downloading the file. I know some other clients can do this, but I know also that eMule is different. Is this possible/are there any known plans to implement it in future versions? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   birk 

• Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:39 PM

When I search for files in eMule a lot of them shows bitrate too...

#3 User is offline   h@istanbul 

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:00 AM

Search results show mostly bitrates of mp3, but they give wrong results for variable bit rates. I am not sure, but I think vbr are always shown as 128 kbps.

Not: I did a search, because it is a problem, that I have understand today, and I found this topic.

#4 User is offline   JayC30 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:41 AM

Unless it is actually listred by the sharer then nope the only way to know is to download play and see. If you are downloading an archived collection of mp3s then you can roughly guess by the size given for the download, the larger the file the higher the bitrate.

As birk says some do put the bitrate in, others don't. eMule itself doesn't scan the files except to make a hash to identify it.
Notice to newbies:
1. Read this: eMule manual and Forum Rules
2. Then read this: Read before posting and do what it says.
3. Then check here Quick help
4. Then ask.

Click on the underlined.
----------------------------
Minister of Semantics, Useless Waffle & Pusskits - In Birks' NWO
---------------------------
Taken from SF's rules, with permission, "If it started in a thread, it should end in the same thread." Therefore don't PM me about a comment I have made in a thread, I am not interested and will put you in my blocked list.

#5 User is offline   CiccioBastardo 

• Doomsday Executor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

@JayC29

But the metafile information are somewhat extracted by the files themselves. For avi, for example, you have length and codedc used, so the metadata are somewhat extracted by looking at the file.
I'm not sure about mp3, but if it is not done yet, it should be possible form them as well.
The problem is not the client, it's the user

#6 User is offline   Goldenpi 

• DRM expert.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:13 PM

MP3 VBR is awkward. MP3 was a CBR codec. The VBR support was added later. To maintain compatability, the old bitrate fild is set to 128 in VBR files. So some software will misread the bitrate and/or length of VBR files.

#7 User is offline   SlugFiller 

• The one and only master slug
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:45 PM

The id3lib is used just for the purpose of extracting MP3 metadata(Why else use it?), so yes, MP3 bitrates are already auto-available in eMule.
Why haven't you clicked yet?

SlugFiller rule #1: Unsolicited PMs is the second most efficient method to piss me off.
SlugFiller rule #2: The first most efficient method is unsolicited eMails.
SlugFiller rule #3: If it started in a thread, it should end in the same thread.
SlugFiller rule #4: There is absolutely no reason to perform the same discussion twice in parallel, especially if one side is done via PM.
SlugFiller rule #5: Does it say "Group: Moderators" under my name? No? Then stop telling me about who you want to ban! I really don't care! Go bother a moderator.
SlugFiller rule #6: I can understand English, Hebrew, and a bit of Japanese(standard) and Chinese(mandarin), but if you speak to me in anything but English, do expect to be utterly ignored, at best.

#8 User is offline   WRFan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 12:06 AM

but they give wrong results for variable bit rates. I am not sure, but I think vbr are always shown as 128 kbps.

the wrong display of vbr is normal. kazaa gets it wrong too. I'd say don't bother about edonkey support for mp3s, it's insufficient. use kazaa for mp3 search and set the bitrate to 256 or 320 ONLY. then you'll get only proper results.

This post has been edited by WRFan: 19 June 2004 - 12:07 AM

#9 User is offline   Goldenpi 

• DRM expert.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:25 AM

Im hoping MP3 will be replaced with OGG at some stage. It must happen soon, to firmly establish a high-quality free codec before any of the propritary formats that currently aboud take over.

#10 User is offline   h@istanbul 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

WRFan, on Jun 19 2004, 12:06 AM, said:

the wrong display of vbr is normal. kazaa gets it wrong too. ...
use kazaa for mp3 search ....

Soulseek is able to show vbr, but it has other disadvantageoses. I think Kazaa(lite) is not an alternative at all. (I had used it for many years, before I found eMULE)
If it is not vbr, you may find the corrrect bitrate in the file information. Or if you got the beginning of an mp3 file you can try to preview it in winamp. (VideoLan does not show vbr bitrate).
At all I prefer and like eMULE, but indicating vbr (even without a value) in search results would be nice. (Most of the mp3 files shared with eMULE are quite big.)

I think this has become a thread for the feature section. May be one of the more experienced members can continue it there.
:argue:

PS:
Of course we speak about mp3 files, that are not archived, e.g. a long session. Bitrate information for archived mp3 would be nice too, bu mostly it is given by the users)

This post has been edited by h@istanbul: 20 June 2004 - 09:48 AM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users