Official eMule-Board: Strange Errors - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Strange Errors Can't Get Emule to open properly

#1 User is offline   RobJames 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:04 PM

I know normally, you want specs, as indicated by your Sticky! And I will gladly provide them, but I can't even get Emule to open properly. It has always worked in the past, and I've downloaded the newest installer from your website. So either something is wrong with my OS or the Emule installer. I just put a brand new OS on, so it's doubtful it's that. I'm at a loss and can't figure out what's going on. I'm on Win 7 64-bit. I've tried installing your Beta version Installer v0.51d first and it didn't work, then Installer v0.50a and I still have the same problem. I get 8 error messages during loading, once it loads there are NO Servers, when I try to add a Server-Met it finds nothing. So weird! So maybe someone can walk me through this? I'll post the 8 screenshots, so you can see what I'm seeing. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me resolve this issue. Sorry I haven't been on this Forum for years, how to I attach screenshots?

Rob,

#2 User is offline   RobJames 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

So no takers huh? Well can you tell me what it would take to get a response? I've since narrowed it down, it seems to be a permissions issue. When installing Emule it DOESN'T create the Incoming or the Temp folders. So I've eliminated 4 of the 8 error messages by physically adding those folders. I've also re-installed my OS twice now, so it must be something is not set correctly with Admin Privileges. Even though I "run as Admin" when installing Emule. So I'm left with 4 error messages. They are:

Unknown error when reading emfriends.met: %s - C:\Program Files(x86)eMule\config\emfriends.met contains an invalid path.
Failed to load known.met file - C:\Program Files(x86)eMule\config\known.met contains an invalid path.
Failed to load credit file, a new file will be created - C:\Program Files(x86)eMule\config\clients.met contains an invalid path.
Failed to initialize cryptokeys - secure ident disabled

Upon investigation I see there is no config folder in C:\Program Files(x86)eMule, so therefore there is no emfriends.met, known.met or clients.met unless they get installed into C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\eMule\config? So that probably is an issue as well.

It sure would be GREAT if someone could show me how to enable my permissions, so that Emule installs properly? And then I promise I won't bug anyone, anymore!

This post has been edited by RobJames: 10 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

#3 User is offline   Campo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

I think most users here arent logging in quite often^^ Me too normally. Also iam not so good with writing english. And iam not a emule pro :D

As standart, a fresh install should add the needed standart files in the config and the temp and incoming folder. So if theres already a problem, the usersystem could be involved. You said "run as admin" for the installation was used already. Hm, is it still active for the emule.exe later?

There are Binarys too, to get a installed version with most files already existing.

The configuration is as standart in the user directory from windows. Appdata local or roaming like you listed with C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\eMule\config Check these too for ownership and rights. i recommend (as your errorlog seems to suggest), is to change it to be in the emule folder in emule options later.

If that doenst help, its a fresh install anyway, delete the known.met to get a new generated. If you can find them^^
emfriends.met and clients.met too.

I check today again here.

#4 User is offline   RobJames 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:37 PM

Well I certainly do appreciate at least someone responding. But perhaps you don't understand English so well? But I've already stated I have tried installing Emule MANY times, each time 'as Admin'. Results are the same every time, she doesn't work. I've also re-installed my OS twice, after Nuking it with UBCD, so I'm starting with as fresh a HD as you possibly can.
The Binary Code I haven't tried, because I don't know anything about that. But at this stage I'm willing to try anything, if you can walk me through it?
Because the installer doesn't create the config folder, none of the 3 mets get installed either. emfriends.met, known.met, client.met are all missing! Are those 3 files you would be willing to send me, so I can test if that works? Lastly, you may be on to something about the C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\eMule folder, it shows as Read-Only(Only applies to the files in the folder) and I am unable to change that status. But I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be? Anyways, the quest continues.

#5 User is offline   Campo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

And i said, that you should check the status after installing, so the programm itself is started as admin too. Not installing again. (But i think emule didnt need admin for normal usage)

The Binary is just a zip file with an installed fresh version in it. So it should be standart options in it.

Anyway, you gave an important information at the end of your post. Of yourse the config folder shouldnt be read only. but to be safe, check the files in it. Even if i check my config folder, its read only, but the files in it are free to change. (never understand it in general, why folder dont keep the choice for all content in it.) Of course emule needs the right to write and make changes in the config.

The .met files are generated automatically if missing.

Last Idea: Make a new emule folder and put the emule.exe in it. Than mark the folder with write rights and run it. It should generate the complete stuff with standartoptions.

I dont have more ideas for this error then.

#6 User is offline   RobJames 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:54 PM

I just wanted to report back in, and thank you for your assistance. Turns out I was right it was a permissions issue. I've resolved that, and now Emule loads and works...sort of. I can connect to the Servers, and I get High ID, but I am unable to connect to Kad. I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm open to any suggestions?

#7 User is offline   Gaugor 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

hi, for kad to connect for the first time you need a nodes.dat file in config folder, probably C:\Users\-YOU-\AppData\Local\eMule\config; after that kad updates by itself. Any nodes.dat will do, just search for it. Good luck and happy confinement! :)

This post has been edited by Gaugor: 14 April 2020 - 12:18 PM

#8 User is offline   RobJames 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

Thank you so much Gaugor, for your follow up! I do have a nodes.dat file in my C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\eMule\config folder. But even with that file in place, my eMule 50.a will not connect to Kad. I am able to achieve High ID with the Servers, but for some reason I'm unable to connect to Kad. Any other ideas??

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users