Official eMule-Board: How To Install Or Update Your Emule! - Official eMule-Board

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

How To Install Or Update Your Emule! Remember to backup...

#61 User is offline   june25 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

[font=Arial][size=7]
can I downgrade my Emule?
I upgraded to 047c version and its worst then my last one (047a) in most parameters.
can I go to older version without removing the program.
If I'll remove the program, what are the downsides?

thanks

#62 User is offline   qm2003 

• V.I.P. (Volatile Indifferent Puppet)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

Maybe add to the first post:

Perform after EVERY update:

If you use a personal firewall, recreate your firewall rules for emule.

If you use a router, recheck the port forwarding rules for emule.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist | Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing.
In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?

I'm a bloodsucking fiend. Look at my outfit !

#63 User is offline   saugo 

• Pip

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

hi!

i would like to switch mod, bc my morph xt cant download the fakes dat ect from sourceforge anymore.

how can i do that without loosing my partial downloads?

thanks a ton!! :+1:

#64 User is offline   DeLuk 

• Pip

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hi. :)

I'm wishing to completely uninstall and then reinstall eMule on my PC (Windows XP), yet I would still like to keep, should it be possible, the list of files which I have downloaded so far so that, after reinstalling, eMule still recognizes those as files having been downloaded already, as well as both the credits I have with others and the credits the others have with me. I was reading around for guidance, yet, I would still appreciate someone who is familiar with/expert on these issues to please confirm it for me, in regards to some little doubts I still have...

1. Can this be done also, i.e. uninstall eMule completely, and then make a new fresh reinstall (be it the same version as previously or an updated one), and still overwrite the necessary files from the previous installation for keeping the data I mentioned above (list of downloaded files, my credits, and the credits of others with me)? And just so that I don't risk doing it wrong, should the overwriting of the files be done before or after running eMule for the first time after it being reinstalled (I reckon this to be a laughable question, still, for a newbie like me :unsure: it's never too much to double-confirm)?

2. For eMule to remember downloaded files, I understand the file related to it is Known.met, so this should be one of the files to back up to later overwrite, correct? Yet, I'm in doubt about both the files Known2_64.met and Known2.met, which are also found in the current config folder (the version I have installed now is eMule v0.47a); should these (any of the two or both?) be overwritten also, after the new installation, or?

3. Then, for eMule to keep the credits that others have with me, I understand the file related to it is Clients.met, also another of the files to overwrite, yes? And what about the file Clients.met.bak (being it a backup of the first), should this one also be overwritten along with Clients.met, or?

4. And lastly, for me to keep my credits with others, I understand the files related to it are Preferences.dat and Cryptkey.dat, and both should be overwritten, right? There is, though, another file in the config folder named PreferencesKad.dat, and I was wondering whether also this one has anything to do with credits and should as well be backed up for later being overwritten, or?

In short:

Of the following files

clients.met
clients.met.bak
cryptkey.dat
known2.met
known2_64.met
known.met
preferences.dat
preferencesKad.dat

Which exactly should be backed up for overwriting later, after the new installation (specifically for keeping the list of downloaded files and my credits and the credits that others have with me, only that, from my previous installation)?

And are there any other files, additional to the ones mentioned, that should also be saved and overwritten?

Thank you so much already, for your help, with clearing up my doubts. :) (And sorry, if my doubts are somehow repeating what has already been explained previously :unsure: but as I say, I truly would appreciate if someone could please actually confirm these answers for me, and thanks again, for your understanding and patience.)

P.S. Also I hope this was the right thread for placing my question?... :confused: If not, my apologies, and yet I would greatly appreciate that you could please direct me to the right section of the forum for it, thank you so much once more. :)

#65 User is offline   Stoepsel 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

The simplest way would be to keep a complete copy of the config folder, as well as your Incoming and Temp folders.
Then install eMule.
Copy back the config, Incoming and Temp folders.
Then start eMule.
It said: "Insert disk #3 into drive...", but only 2 will fit...?!?

#66 User is offline   aachen 

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

just save config and tempo folder :+1:
in last time I uninstall emule and save config folder, my user hash gone for ever :cry2:

#67 User is offline   DeLuk 

• Pip

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thank you very much for your replies. :)

However, hum, I really wished to make a new fresh clean install of eMule, and would wish to keep/save really only the indispensable and strictly necessary data files for, as I mentioned above, keep the list of downloaded files and, eventually and if also possible, my credits and the credits of others with me (but even if the credits would have to be gone, if it wouldn't be possible to keep them at all for some reason, I wouldn't mind all so much after all). But what I really wished the most to keep, if indeed possible, was even the list of downloaded files; this, I really wished to keep.

As for any other settings etc, I actually would wish to lose/reset them, for the new installation, so, if not imperative, I actually wouldn't wish to save the whole config folder (but really only the necessary files for keeping the data I mentioned before); and actually neither the Temp nor the Incoming folders (I don't actually have any pending downloads, nor do I have currently any file being shared, so both these folders are now empty actually).

So, if anyone can please confirm it for me, if I can do it so (i.e. install eMule from scratch, but yet keep the list of downloaded files from the previous installation, as well as, if possible, the credits, mine and the ones of others with me), and which files specifically should I then back up for overwriting after the new installation, I would appreciate it greatly.

Once again, thanks so much, for any further help and enlightenment. :)

#68 User is offline   Stoepsel 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

To keep your user hash, you need to retain cryptkey.dat and preferences. dat, as the second post in this topic explains.

#69 User is offline   DeLuk 

• Pip

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:55 AM

Thanks again, for your reply. :)

Yes, I know that for keeping my user hash (and thus my credits), the files I must save are both Preferences.dat and Cryptkey.dat.

Also I understand that, for keeping the credits that the other users have with me, the file I must save is Clients.met; and that for keeping the list of files that I have already downloaded so far, the file I must save is Known.met.

I was, though, wondering about namely the files PreferencesKad.dat, Clients.met.bak, Known2.met and Known2_64.met, whether these should also be saved, or even if eventually any other file(s) which I haven't mentined and that I should actually also save (for keeping the specific data I wished to keep, and that data only, i.e. the list of downloaded files, my credits, and the credits of others with me)?

If anyone could please confirm this for me, I would greatly appreciate it, thank you so much once more. :)

#70 User is offline   Stoepsel 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

known2.met is obsolete and has been replaced with known2_64.met.

known2_64.met is not essential to keep. It stores the AICH hashes of all the files that you downloaded or shared before. If you decide not to keep it, eMule will generate a new known2_64.met with just the AICH hashes of the files that you have in your shares after reinstalling.

clients.met.bak is not essential to keep but I would keep it just to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure about preferencesKad.dat. Sorry. But it surely doesn't have to do with your files or credits.

#71 User is offline   birk 

• Room To Let
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

@ DeLuk

Not really sure what you want me to look for?

#72 User is offline   DeLuk 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks again, Stoepsel, for the explanations, and thanks, birk, for your reply. :)

Well, basically my remaining doubt is: if PreferencesKad.dat is or indeed isn't a necessary file to overwrite, for keeping the data I wish; and also, being that Clients.met.bak and Known2_64.met aren't essential files to overwrite, if I do overwrite Clients.met and Known.met only, will eMule then create Clients.met.bak and Known2_64.met from Clients.met and Known.met respectively, or don't the first (Clients.met.bak and Known2_64.met) actually depend of/are connected with the later (Clients.met and Known.met) at all, and it really is not necessary at all that I overwrite them, for keeping the specific data I wish to keep?

Also, for the matter, are there any other files at all (besides Preferences.dat and Cryptkey.dat and Clients.met and Known.met) that I must overwrite, or not indeed?

One time again, thank you greatly, if you can please confirm these answers for me, and thank you for your patience, thank you. :)

#73 User is offline   Paul Anderegg 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

I have read through a few of these topics, but my particular query I think is unique enough for me to need to ask directly. I don't feel confident enough to proceed without professional help :)

I am adding a new 200GB HDD to my desktop, as I have maxed out my old 250GB thanks to emule. I have about 150GB in my emule sharing folder. I also have my original emule program saved from when I first downloaded it. I would like to install the new harddrive, and do a clean XP install on the old drive, and use the NEW 200GB drive to transfer all my emule stuff, so that the APP can be reinstalled into a new directory on the new drive, with the ability to save all my old settings and in progress files.

If I had to go this without aid, I am guessing I would first copy my entire eMule directory over to the new HDD, obviously into a folder called EMULE BACKUP or something. Then do my clean XP install on the old drive. Then reinstall emule onto the NEW hard drive. Then simply drag and drop the old emule directory onto the new one, and select yes to all when asked to overwrite any files.

I am very puter illiterate, so any help is appreciated. I don't want to overwrite anything that would screw up emule knowing what drive its on. Is it even possible to simply drag the eMule directory anywhere and it will always work? I am clueless to things such as the registry and what programs use it or do not or how so.

thanks in advance!

Paul

#74 User is offline   DimSushi 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

Just backup your entire eMule folder to the new drive. When you have installed XP again just copy back the backed up folder and run eMule. You just need to go over the settings if your drive letters have changed and also enable eMule to take ed2k links again. No need to install anything before copying over the backup...

#75 User is offline   Paul Anderegg 

• Pip

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Dim! That seems like the simplest solution. I was not sure if an emule installation installs any files OUTSIDE of the eMule folder.

My only reason for wanting to have emule program run from the new drive was because of the part files that are kept there until hashed to the final location.

OK, I copy paste emule to new drive, clean install XP, copy paste back to C drive, and launch from the emule folder or make a shortcut..? THANK YOU, me be happy now :D

Paul

This post has been edited by Paul Anderegg: 28 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

#76 User is offline   DimSushi 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

yup. It is as simple as that. eMule only writes to the registry to be able to handle ed2k links. Fancy fancy... :)

#77 User is offline   Wilma2 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

I sometimes borrow my friends laptop and I have always installed and uninstalled emule when I have her laptop. I have always kept the installer and everything the uninstalling process doesn't delete automatically. When I have installed it again, emule remembers all my settings.

But now with the new version, it doesn't :( . I upgraded emule like always before, used it for few hours, then uninstalled it. But the next time I installed it I had lost all my settings, friends, history...

Is there some new setting that I don't know about? Is the uninstaller more efficient than before :confused: ? Or shoud I just try to convince my friend to let me keep emule installed on her laptop? She keeps her laptop as "clean" as possible and really really doesn't like new installs.

Wilma

#78 User is offline   ZeBrit 

• Pip

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hi
I had and was quite happy with version 0.48a but kept getting the message to update, so I did, using the auotmatic update routine. I now have 0.49a but have lost all my parameters and downloads. I
have manually reset most of the parameters like download & upload speeds, directories & files to share etc but can I recover my temp files ? And why doesn't the routine point out that you can (and do !!) lose your ongoing data ?
Thanks in advance if you can help retrieve my data but if it's lost then I will NEVER update again !! It's too painful..

#79 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

View PostZeBrit, on Jun 23 2008, 02:44 AM, said:

help retrieve my data

First of all, you should get only binaries, extract emule.exe and overwrite old one. Then cancel wizard.
To recover your downloads - move all files from (old) temp directory somewhere, and then use on moved files Tools/Import...

#80 User is offline   HARRISON50 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

I cannot get emule++ 2.0 to connect to any servers. My firewall is just the Winbdows XP. It is unblocked. The internet shortcuts on the OPTIONS panel all work directly from emule. How do I make it connect to a server??? I have tried the CONNECT button and also on KAD.

HARRISON50

View Postbirk, on Apr 14 2004, 09:10 AM, said:

If you are new to eMule you should use the official client and not any of the mods. You should also use the installer and not the binaries when you update. If you have worked with eMule before you should choose wether you are more comfortable with the installer or the binaries. Also have a look at all the great mods out there!
Follow the instructions below to install or update your eMule depending on your use of installer or binaries. When updating eMule please backup you entire eMule folder or atleast the config folder. The most important files is cryptkey.dat, preferences.dat and clients.met!

Installation of eMule using the installer: [For novices]
Here you can see the official page on installation. Follow the steps below:
  • Download the installer from the official download page.
  • Run the .exe file.
  • Follow the instructions in the installer and complete the installation.
  • Run eMule and follow the instructions in the wizard when it appears.
  • eMule is now ready for use. Enjoy! :D
Updating eMule using the installer: [For novices]
Here you can see the official page on updating. The installer will only overwrite the .exe file and all your credits and downloads will NOT be lost. Do not uninstall the previous version since important files will be lost! Follow the steps below:
  • Download the installer from the official download page.
  • Run the .exe file.
  • Ensure that the installation destination is the folder of the current eMule installation
  • Follow the instructions in the installer and complete the installation.
  • Run eMule and cancel wizard when it appears.
  • The new version of eMule is now ready for use. Enjoy! :D
Installation of eMule using the binaries: [For experienced users]
Here you can see the official page on installation. Follow the steps below:
  • Download the binaries from the official download page.
  • Unzip or unrar the archive to some destination on your harddrive.
  • Place the folder containing all the eMule files in the directory you wish to run eMule from.
  • Run eMule.
  • Follow the wizard which will appear.
  • eMule is now ready for use. Enjoy! :D
Updating eMule using the binaries: [For experienced users]
Here you can see the official page on updating. There are two ways of updating eMule. Choose your approach:

Preferred way:
Any new files included in the program should be generated by eMule if they are missing in the folder where eMule is located. Follow the steps below:
  • Backup the entire eMule folder of your current installation. This is really important!
  • Unzip or unrar the archive to some destination on your harddrive.
  • Take the .exe file from the archive you just unzipped/unrarred and overwrite the .exe file in the directory of your current installation.
  • Run eMule.
  • Cancel the wizard which will appear.
More complicated way:
This involves overwriting more files. Look here for at description of the files used by eMule. Follow the steps below:
  • Backup the entire eMule folder of your current installation. This is really important!
  • Unzip or unrar the archive to the destination on your harddrive you want to run eMule from.
  • In order to keep credits, known clients, settings and more you have to overwrite som files.
  • Copy all the important files mentioned below if they exist in your old installation folder and overwrite the files in the new folder you have placed eMule.
  • Run eMule.
  • Cancel the wizard which will appear.
  • In eMule settings point to the correct temp folder and incoming folder to continue existing downloads.
  • Below is the important files you should overwrite if they exist in your old installation folder:
    • Adresses.dat
    • Category.ini
    • Clients.met,
    • Clients.met.bak
    • Cryptkey.dat
    • Emfriends.met
    • Ipfilter.dat
    • Known.met
    • Known2.met
    • Preference.dat
    • Preferences.ini
    • Server.met
    • Sharedir.dat
    • Statistics.ini

If you have any questions regarding what I wrote please make a post on this thread and if you have any comments please post on this thread or PM me. Happy muling to everyone... :punk:

• Member Options

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users