Official eMule-Board: Windows Xp/2000 Crashes - Official eMule-Board

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Windows Xp/2000 Crashes while using eMule ?

#281 User is offline   barmaley 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

View Postbarmaley, on Nov 23 2006, 12:27 PM, said:

Same stuff here on Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Intel C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz, 2Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC-5300, GB 7600 GS, XP SP2. I also have Panda Platinum 2006 and Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.
Tried almost everything: other NIC, different drivers, different settings of Emule, disabled Panda - nothing helped.
The machine is stable by itself, memtest86 and Orthos didn't give any errors on 24 hrs run.

I'm running out of ideas, any help, suggestions?
TIA

Uninstalled completely Panda and replaced it with Avast and ZoneAlarm, everything works fine since then!!!

#282 User is offline   bryn50 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

What nonsense is this ?

Disable Firwalls ?

What kind of advice is this ? What - open up my machine to all sorts of hacker attacks, and by the way I HAVE been attacked in the recent past, so I'm not likely to do this !!

Here are my symptoms:
When I run Emule (047c), Windows XP (Media Centre version) Windows Crashes.(BSOD)
When I dont run EMule Windows does not crash.

QED, there is a problem with EMule047c.

Further information:
In my case, Several months ago, I notice the occasional crash when running EMule and Real Player at the same time. Problem did not occur when I used Windows Media Player so I assumed it to be a problem with Real Player. Not surprised really since RP is crap software anyway. Worth what you pay for it.
The crashes did not happen all of the time or very frequently, so I ignored it.
More recently, I upgraded Internet Explorer to version 7, and noted that whilst browsing, I'd get (more frequent) crashes.

A friend installed EMule Extreme, same problem. (and so I removed it, and went back to standard EMule).

I reinstalled EMule, deleted all downloads, problem still occurs.

Now, EMule crashes when it is the only program running, no IE, no Real Player

As I recall, the problem has been happening more frequently since I started to Add servers as 'friends' on the basis that they had allocated me a higher queue number, and I was hoping this would get me faster downloads. Seemed to work, but then it might have been the 8 MB upgrade too that improved download bandwidth.

I have an 8 MBit ADSL line.
I run Norton Internet Security, and the firewall in it is enabled. It needs to be; it protects my PC and saves me from having to disinfect and rebuild frequently. I have better things to do with my time.

This is making me think there may be two problems with EMule 0.47c
(a) it has trouble running with some other programs such as Real Player. Memory conflicts maybe ?
(B) Issue noted early in this forum with TCP Syn Flood attacks (or something like that).
Perhaps one or two doctored emule servers out there are set up to send out these attacks, and perhaps I've contributed by adding them as friends ? Theory: Adding someone as a freind gives them a trusted status and this opens up a vulnerability in EMule that can be exploited by a malicious person ?
© Emule team advice telling people to disable their firewalls cant be helping.

Anyway, I dont think that the developers of EMule can continue to disclaim any responsibility for crashes, and they need to investigate the problem properly and come up with a solution.

FWIW, Cheers,

#283 User is offline   Golds 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

If you use norton internet sicurity and eMule your computer will crash. I had to remove all norton products to use eMule. If you use eMule, you can't have the best protection for internet, this is sure. But I have found a solution: now I use AVG free antivirus, my internet connection is behind a router (so it is firewalled), and I don't have problems at all.
You can choose an antivirus which does not create issues with the connection.

#284 User is offline   Manimal 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

I use ZoneAlarm which I feel is better than Norton Internet Security. But for antivirus I use Nortons, who consistantly outperforms everyone else. Although now, I don't think their performance margin is as high. On my laptop, since I can't afford two licenses, I use Freeav.com antivirus which works great. Small footprint than Nortons and I feel the protection is about the same.

View PostGolds, on Jan 13 2007, 11:48 AM, said:

If you use norton internet sicurity and eMule your computer will crash. I had to remove all norton products to use eMule. If you use eMule, you can't have the best protection for internet, this is sure. But I have found a solution: now I use AVG free antivirus, my internet connection is behind a router (so it is firewalled), and I don't have problems at all.
You can choose an antivirus which does not create issues with the connection.

#285 User is offline   trodas 

• 3Ghz fanless Opty
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

I think that it should be meintioned in the download area, that eMule does not support Win98, Win98se perhaps too?

It is because user just asked me about and then... he find out his Win98 is a bit out there...

PS. boycot Vista! :furious:
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
...just keep folding, just keep folding... user posted image my config

#286 User is offline   leuk_he 

• MorphXT team.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

View Posttrodas, on Feb 6 2007, 02:57 PM, said:

I think that it should be meintioned in the download area, that eMule does not support Win98, Win98se perhaps too?

Older versions of eMule surely do run on win98. But it prefers some internet explorer updated (to 5.0 i think ). I did test recent morph myself shortly on win98 and it did start up after installing the MSUL

anyway, win98 is not supprted by MS anymore.... who cares?

boycot vista? Sure, but just make sure eMule will be coded in such a way it rurns on most platforms. Not adding special code for vista oly might be a good idea...
Download the MorphXT emule mod here: eMule Morph mod

Trouble connecting to a server? Use kad and /or refresh your server list
Strange search results? Check for fake servers! Or download morph, enable obfuscated server required, and far less fake server seen.

Looking for morphXT translators. If you want to translate the morph strings please come here (you only need to be able to write, no coding required. ) Covered now: cn,pt(br),it,es_t,fr.,pl Update needed:de,nl
-Morph FAQ [English wiki]--Het grote emule topic deel 13 [Nederlands]
if you want to send a message i will tell you to open op a topic in the forum. Other forum lurkers might be helped as well.

#287 User is offline   VileD 

• Pip

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:52 AM

Right....Im havin a slightly different prob....My cmputer frequently crashes....and recently, I was doin a 4+GB file, and the comp crashed. When I rebooted it, the file had dissapeared from the download list. I had a couple more things downloading at the samew time, and they are still d/l ing. what do I do? (I have already tried rebooting and also reinatalling emule)

P.S. I have the temp files intact.

Cheers and thanks in advance

#288 User is offline   torpon 

• I'm so tired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

uot;49931"]How To Save "corrupt" Downloads! Use Morph XT instead of outdated SF-IOM. You can also use MetFileRegenerator.

Cheers :D

#289 User is offline   vylo 

• PipPip

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:25 AM

OK, I tried downloading new drivers, turning off norton, adjust my connections, and still crashes in 7-12 hours. Either I get a BSOD, or the computer just locks up.

Any idea on how to fix it, or if there are Emule mods that might not suffer this crash?

#290 User is offline   steinmini 

• Pip

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

I've been usin emule since version 0.3x and until I went for the latest version (0.48a) it worked fine. I'm running on XP and have the NOD32 for virus protection. Now the problem is that when I start emule, it takes forever to load it, and just as I want to type a search, it turns off my PC. Basically shuts it down. I tried yesterday again, and after three attempts, I gave up. Started up the machine without emule, and it's still on. For some reason, it kills my CPU with load. Thinking about getting back to an older version of emule...

#291 User is offline   Eugene1981 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

I've been using e mule for a long time and didn't have any problem. But in last few months after using e mule for few minutes I get BSOD. I don't know what is the reason of that. I tried some thing but that didn't take any effect. I read about that problem on many forums but didn't find anything useful. It's driving me crazy. I thought the problem was in OS, i even try with new one. But the same problem happened with vista and xp. Funniest thing that my brother is using e mule on his computer that has same anti virus and same windows default firewall and it works with no problem...
Please help...

#292 User is offline   imshani 

• Pip

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hi. I was installed and used emule 0.47c on my old computer. but Its Mainboard and cpu was disrupted but harddisk is not affected.
because I was in middle of downloading anything at emule, how can I Import that temp to my new windows from old hard? for example, a thing was downloaded 70% and How I import that to my new windows to resume downloads? please help me

#293 User is offline   tiktiktik3 

• Pip

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hello All,

After my (update from the previous version) install a while back of version 048a my PC started crashing (Blue screen and reset), this happened between 1 and 5 times a day. At the time I did not link these problems to Emule, thought the problem was with my PC itself.
After a while I grew tired of this and not finding a solution to this problem I eventualy decided to upgrade my PC (it was a not so old p4 3Ghz - 512MB DDR).

New Mobo, New videocard, new CPU, new mems.

Spec's :

Mobo : Asus P5B
Sound onboard : SoundMax ADI AD1988A 8 channel codec
Video : Asus EN8600GT Silent
CPU : Intel Core2 Duo Processor 2.2
Mem : DDR2 - 4x512MB
OS : Windows XP Pro Dutch (I'm waiting for Vista until a SP1 gets released).
Internet connection : DSL 4.6Mbps
Modem : USB Speedtouch

As I did not want to wait to long with continuing downing (and lose my high ID) after installing my new drivers/codecs I reinstalled emule asap. (lost the High ID anyway, but got it back after only a few days).
So you can imagine I was stunned by the fact that still my now 'new' PC had the same troubles (bsod and reset).
Then while going over this forum for a unrelated reason I found this tread and I made the link with my probems...
I tested it out and did not start up emule for the last three days... and whatayaknow... No bsod and reset at all so far...
So the trouble must be with emule somewhere...
All my installed hardware drivers & codec's are the latest releases I could download.

I use no Virus/Firewall/Proxy programs (I do have AVG free fully updated installed and running doh).
Before version 048a I never experienced any problem with Emule before, it all started after updating to this version...

Hope anyone can help me find a solution here...

Greetz

tiktiktik3

This post has been edited by tiktiktik3: 03 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

#294 User is offline   tiktiktik3 

• Pip

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

I have an update on my test...
So I left my PC on without emule running and it did not crash for three days (the PC was on 24/24).
Yesterday to take the test further, I started Emule and went to work, after coming back home, my screen showed the dreaded message :
Wndows recoverd from a severe error... when lookin into the system log I read that my PC had in fact reset for three times during a 7 hour period.
this conclude my test and proved without any doubt that Emule 048a is the cause of all my troubles...

Nobody responded yet to all of this ? and I don't seem to find a solution.
As this makes it impossible for me to down any further I would sure appriciate it if someone, anyone would help me out here...

Thanks all for reading all the way...

#295 User is offline   sandstones 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

I too have been having unexplained reboots of my Windows XP system for months - event log never showed anything, and doing recommended things like replacing power supply and memory did nothing. I'm an infrequent user of emule, and never thought to connect emule and the reboots.

Had another reboot yesterday while machine was basically idle. Had an idea to see what files might have been created just before the reboot and did a search on my C drive and found that 1 second before the reboot, C:\Documents and Settings\me\Application Data\eMule\config\statistics.ini had been modified, and a few minutes before that various .met files in that folder had also been changed. No other files on the disk had been modified for over an hour before the reboot. That led me to search the web for emule causing reboots, and this discussion.

It would be interesting to see if others with this problem can also see emule files that got modified just before the reboot. It might even be that the contents of those files would be a clue to emule developers as to what is going wrong. As others, I'm running emule .48a

BTW, I run Outpost firewall and Symantec A/V and take the suggestion that the way to fix emule is to turn them as a insult to my intelligence.

SS

#296 User is offline   PacoBell 

• Professional Lurker ¬_¬ (so kyoot!)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

Are you also using a USB modem? The drivers on some of these modems are notoriously flaky, especially under heavy load (i.e. P2P).
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Math is delicious!
MmMm! Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Toffee Macadamias are little drops of Heaven ^_^
Si vis pacem, para bellum DIE SPAMMERS DIE!

#297 User is offline   sandstones 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

View PostPacoBell, on Oct 21 2007, 10:05 AM, said:

Are you also using a USB modem? The drivers on some of these modems are notoriously flaky, especially under heavy load (i.e. P2P).

No, no USB modem. NVIDIA nForce on the board network controller.

SS

#298 User is offline   helden 

• PipPip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

View Postsandstones, on Oct 21 2007, 07:10 PM, said:

View PostPacoBell, on Oct 21 2007, 10:05 AM, said:

No, no USB modem. NVIDIA nForce on the board network controller.

SS

Probably something to with your drivers, try Driveragent and it will tell what drivers are needing updating. I had the same problem for months. Needed an update for Webstar drivers and it has gone ok now for about 10 days after driver update.

#299 User is offline   Britneysilence 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

First Admin could you start a new thread with all of the information contained in these 15 pages condensed maybe??? Alot is just frustrating waffle when you are trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Main things breaking Emule it seems to me:

1. Double check ports are open / for your client. Manually register each port in Windows Firewall (I guess if not using UPnP)
2. Double check the P2P scanning in your antivirus is still on/off and see if turning it off works. If so change antivirus.
3. Opera browser is crashing Emule on my machine - possibly because it has a bittorrent dowloading capability.
4. Using a media player on files which are being shared can cause problems.
5. Ati and Nvidia release crappy crappy crappy drivers all the time - if you get a frozen display this could be the cause.
6. Over heating hard drive or modem - Possible - modern hard drives use a lot of watts and they are stacked with no gap to cool off and Emule makes lots of writes and reads. Get Speedfan which will tell you the temperature at several points on your system.
7. People have banged on about shared IRQ's but from the look of things on the Microsoft website this is unlikely to be a problem, check the site before busting up the registry.

yeehar

#300 User is offline   Britneysilence 

• Pip

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

Aaagghh, Emule still crashing after all of the above has been tried and more!

As all other programmes work fine on my computer I have to say that the reliability of Emule currently stinks. What a waste of effort and time.

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users