Official eMule-Board: Windows Xp/2000 Crashes - Official eMule-Board

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Windows Xp/2000 Crashes while using eMule ?

#201 User is offline   Atavus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

DocMarco, on Aug 26 2005, 03:58 PM, said:

Okay, there has been another difference between my new and my old hardware: The network adapter!!!

I never used the onboard network port on my old mainboard.
Now I got an Asus A8V and used the "cool" 1Gbit onboard LAN port/controller - and this (or the driver) seems to cause my freezing trouble!

Yesterday I disabled the onboard LAN port and plugged in a good old, rocksolid 3COM 3C905 PCI network card - and my system is running eMule for 30h now!!  :thumbup:
First impression is that there is a problem with the intergrated onboard Marvell network controller, IRQ, DMA handling or with the (MS) driver (update) of it...

So, try to change the network card and see if this changes the freeze behaviour.
Please report your progress...
View Post

I can't confirm as yet because I just reinstalled my driver. Looks good so far as I've past my usual 3 hours lock up time :+1: . I'm at 4 hours ++ and the system looks stable. I'm able to do multiple things now without my PC freezing on me. I could kiss you DocMarco :D Will keep you all updated :+1:

#202 User is offline   Baked_Nut420 

• PipPip

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:53 AM

Yeah i think a combination of the new temp folder and rolling back the Marvell driver worked for me too..

Left emule on all night just closed it now its second 11+ hour session woohooooooo

#203 User is offline   tnlobo420 

• Pip

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

Atavus, on Aug 26 2005, 12:06 PM, said:

DocMarco, on Aug 26 2005, 03:58 PM, said:

Okay, there has been another difference between my new and my old hardware: The network adapter!!!

Now I got an Asus A8V and used the "cool" 1Gbit onboard LAN port/controller - and this (or the driver) seems to cause my freezing trouble!

Yesterday I disabled the onboard LAN port and plugged in a good old, rocksolid 3COM 3C905 PCI network card - and my system is running eMule for 30h now!!  :thumbup:
First impression is that there is a problem with the intergrated onboard Marvell network controller, IRQ, DMA handling or with the (MS) driver (update) of it...

So, try to change the network card and see if this changes the freeze behaviour.
View Post

I can't confirm as yet because I just reinstalled my driver. Looks good so far as I've past my usual 3 hours lock up time :+1: . I'm at 4 hours ++ and the system looks stable. I'm able to do multiple things now without my PC freezing on me. I could kiss you DocMarco :D Will keep you all updated :+1:
View Post

For me that is DEF the problem - the updated driver for my marvel miniport adapter IS the problem - took a while to find the problem - THX all

#204 User is offline   plibra 

• Pip

Posted 27 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

DocMarco, on Aug 26 2005, 03:58 AM, said:

View Post

You are a GENIUS. I did the rollback of the Marvell driver, undoing the MS update and no longer have to deal with computer freezes. I was re-installing components and PCI cards, thinking about some hardware compatibility when all along, it's related to the MS updates. Thank you thank you thank you

#205 User is offline   Atavus 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

Allright people. I have confirmed the problem now. It was the bogus driver update from microsoft. I can confirm this because I reverted everything back to my original setting except.....wait for it.....my marvell driver. I'm running on the original drivers that came with my motherboard. As of now, my emule running time is 2 days 7 hours :clap: :clap: :clap: . I've done several tests and found out if i ever run my system on the drivers from windows update my system will lock up. Thanks for all the replies and helps and if you need further help and info please contact me :+1: :D Thanks DocMarco, you're a saint :thumbup:

This post has been edited by Atavus: 28 August 2005 - 06:42 PM

#206 User is offline   manu2380 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

hi sorry i dont know anything about computers....i have a toshiba laptop that keeps showing that BSOD and it keeps rebooting by itself...how do i stop it from rebooting? do i need the recovery disk for my windows XP? please help me thank you kindly. i left on emule one night for whole night and i woke up to find this BSOD keep loading and rebooting the laptop...well if anyone know how to stop that loop from running please tell me thanks again.

#207 User is offline   DocMarco 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:57 AM

Atavus, on Aug 28 2005, 06:40 PM, said:

:+1:  :D Thanks DocMarco, you're a saint  :thumbup:
Oh, thank you, but not at all! :angelnot: Glad, to point you in the right direction!
My system is running stable for over a week now. After all, it really seems to be the buggy Marvell driver, but I'm tired of playing around with older driver versions or rollbacks in the moment. The old 3COM card works extrem stable.
The old Kerio PF 2.15 is not a problem, as I thought in the beginning.

#208 User is offline   ccier 

• Pip

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

very good,ths

#209 User is offline   Baked_Nut420 

• PipPip

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

9 Days now All Sweet thanks to everyone who helped solve the problems we all had :)

And FUK U Microsoft For The Bodgy Driver Update

Never again will i get a hardware driver from the software company that is still patching OSes from 7+ yrs ago

#210 User is offline   blackdEmule 

• Pip

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

Hi, I am having serious bugs with last version - emule 0.46c - in 2 computers. First I thought it could be some kind of new virus for emule, but it looks more like a bug now.

my 2 updated to 0.46c computers :

computer 1) windows xp sp2 AMD 1800mhz , 512mb ram 20gb harddisk (maxtor) using NTFS
computer 2) windows xp sp2 AMD 2600mhz, 1gb ram, 120gb harddisk (maxtor) using NTFS

After about 10 minutes it will cut the connection in a strange way. All keep downloading, but is just no more new users will come + internet explorer won't work + msn won't work + anything else that require new connection won't work.
After that bug, there are random damaged files in the hard disk. Some times it will go to a reset loop until I insert windows XP cd and do a chkdsk /p

About the connection cut, I know it is not a ISP thing, as I have other computers not using emule that keep having connection (and they share the same router, 3com812)

I think it have something to with the sharing of files, as it doesn't crash until I configure it to share something.

I tried downloading new drivers for everything, specially the network card, and I did all the windows updates (did windows updates AFTER I was having the bug, so I think that should not be the problem)

All this happens since I installed 0.46c in both computers.
I have been updating emule since years ago and never had any little problem with any new version until now.

I hope that bug can be fixed.

This post has been edited by blackdEmule: 07 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

#211 User is offline   amyleeno1fan 

• Pip

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:28 AM

so i've read all 11 pages of this. and have uninstalled nortons all the way, turned off the windows firewall, and got rid of all my spyware stuff. (so now my computer is vulnerable. updated my network card driver. and deleted all the stuff i've added since upgrading to 0.46c it mainly started after i d/led and installed that. i've tried going back to b and a and neither helped. it stays on for random times and then the computer just restarts. no blue screen of death, no errors, no anything, it just restarts. but it's only when i have emule running. one time it happen 1min after i had it running, another it was 30mins. what in the world can i do to get this thing to work, i love emule way better than any other p2p. anyone have any idea on what i can do other than all the stuff i've already done? what other drivers need to be updated? what else do i need to get rid of? please help somehow!.

thank you
Marc

#212 User is offline   leo6 

• Pip

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:41 AM

hi, really interesting thread, but unfortunately the various tips didn't work for my problem

Same problem my system freezes when e-mule is on after just a few minutes (max about 1 hr).

If this can help :

My computer used to be a P3 600 MHz with windows 2000 SP4 (with all updates) directly connected to my routeur running emule's latest version 0.46c. No Problem, could work fine for days. Motherbord was an old QDI Advance E

I recently change for a P4 3.0 GHz on an Asus Pundit-R barebone connected to my routeur via a wifi linksys card.
Since then the system freezes and all internet connection is lost when running emule. The only way is to reset power. If emule is not running, the system can stays on forever (winthin windows limitations :-) ).

I also have a Toshiba A40 2.8GHz laptop running with Win XP SP2 with all updates. This laptop is connected to internet via its PCMCIA wifi card, and emule works fine.

I really don't understand what's the problem with my new system.

First I thought about a connection problem and disabled my internal ethernet card, no change, still freezes. As the laptop also us wifi, I don't think that's the problem.
I also thought about RAM but this new computer has more RAM that the laptop...

Completely lost !!! Any more ideas ?

Thanks

#213 User is offline   moloko+ 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

hey sorry if this has been posted before, (oops)

re: shared irq's my tips/prob
disable unnecessary onboard devices that use irq...
try a different pci slot for the network card...
look into the motherboard documentation concerning how the irq's are shared to find the best slot. it may happen that a slot is shared with a disabled device... which is good candidate for the net card.

@Rockwell_HCF_User: FYI, use the WinXP generic drivers for Rockwell HCF modems...
other 'unsigned drivers' may leave nasty items that manually need to be removed from within Device Manager...

SYN Attacks? google "SafeXP" for nice little app that disables/enables system services.

HTH's someone.

/edit: i read all 11 pages...

This post has been edited by moloko+: 16 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

#214 User is offline   jlambvo 

• Pip

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hrm, this all sounded very promising, except that I'm going through a USB 802.11 adapter and have my ethernet controllers disabled to begin with. None of these drivers appear to have been changed. Hrm... :(

#215 User is offline   moloko+ 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

i don't know much on USB 802.11 adapters...

also, AFAIK, there is also generally a option for type of OS - whether it is a PnP OS or a non PnP OS. if you select PnP then the OS decides how irq's are allocated. if non PnP then the bios allocates the irqs... (something like that, see the m/b docs)

also, try removing the drivers, deleting the device, and rebooting, to reinstall the device and drivers.

also-also, i've had probs with some tcp optimizer programs and can't recommend using one (except for CableNut).

/edit:more

reminder: WinXP SP2 = Max. half open connections: 9 (max unless patched)

pci cards: Uninstall drivers before removing devices (else older entries remain)
(not sure if this really matters)...

This post has been edited by moloko+: 04 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

#216 User is offline   Janek Szymczak 

• Pip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hi all what are you talking about ;)

#217 User is offline   bounty vb 

• Lord of Noobs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:12 AM

Janek Szymczak, on Oct 13 2005, 01:01 AM, said:

Hi all what are you talking about ;)
View Post

:sleep:
Heeeerrrre's Bounty

#218 User is offline   Battle-Noel 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

Sony666, on Jan 9 2004, 11:38 PM, said:

Hi,

if you are experiencing system crahes (blue screen of death, reboot) with Windows XP or Windows 2000 while running eMule, please do the following:

-remove all firewall software from the computer, or disable them. (Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm etc.)

-turn off "live/realtime/auto-protect" AntiVirus scanners

-uninstall any proxy software you might be using, especially Pasakche, which is incompatible with edonkey clients

If all those don't help:

-download and install the latest drivers for your network card or (USB) modem.
-do not overclock any of your system components

If that fails, too, please understand this:

eMule itself can not make Windows XP/2000 crash. Ever.

eMule is a high level application that is terminated by the operating system if it causes an error.

Only low level drivers (network card, virus scanner, firewall etc) can crash WIndows XP/2000 to BlueScreen-Reboot.

Even if the problem only occurs when you run eMule, there is nothing we can do about it. Something is not right with your setup. Sorry :)
View Post

OH YES LETS TURN OFF ALL OUR PROTECTION ON OUR PC,S SO PPL LIKE THE WRITER OF THIS POST CAN GAIN ACCESS TO ALL OUR FILES LOLOLOLOL NICE TRY

#219 User is offline   xscarab 

• Mrs Chief Mumpopo 'Monkeyballs' Umboga III
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:40 PM

Battle-Noel, on Nov 23 2005, 10:01 PM, said:

OH YES LETS TURN OFF ALL OUR PROTECTION ON OUR PC,S SO PPL etc etc
View Post

Don't know about that but... perhaps you could turn off your caps lock. :lol:
Are we nearly there yet?

#220 User is offline   PapaLazzzaru 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:21 AM

I've been having this problem with eMule 0.46C crashing my PC every now and again. No BSOD or anything like that, it would just freeze until I rebooted. Well, I was using a cable modem connected via a USB network adaptor; I just stuck in a cheap Ethernet card and I've had no more problems. So I'd suggest anyone using USB should definitely look at this first...

• Member Options

• (18 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users