Official eMule-Board: Why Are My Downloads So Slow. (7/22/03) - Official eMule-Board

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Why Are My Downloads So Slow. (7/22/03)

#41 User is offline   msbear 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:48 PM

I had this same problem last week!!! My download is 0 or 5k max!!!! I have high ID and no firewall. My connection is OK! what happen with our emule?????? :(

#42 User is offline   PiVale 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:46 AM

i've already changed my connection settings by going to and using the advices of broadband reports...

but i still have a problem...

i don't seem to get the full chunks of info...i can only download 300/400k of info and then the connection falls...as you know, i go to the bottom of the queue again..this happens even if the people i'm downloading from has the full file...the server connection keeps falling too..

all my other programs seem to work just fine!

can anyone help me...

i'm using emule for quite a while (my currently upload is about 80GB at a 1.61:1 ratio) and this is only happening lately...is there any problem with the latest version?

thanx!

#43 User is offline   simon999 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:17 PM

I have the same problem I have recently gotten a ADSL connection and upgraded e-mule to 0.42d ports are open in the modem and open in my firewall but I cant download anything. I am uploading at my max. When I change back to my dial up I can download fine is this a problem with a fast internet connection?

Other clients work fine with my ADSL connection but I would prefer to use e-mule as it have a better selection of files. Pls Help

#44 User is offline   msbear 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:38 PM

One more week....... i can't download anything on emule!! overnet works fine, bittorrent too...... i have cable connection.

someone can explain whats happen with the ed2k net? :angry:

#45 User is offline   Netw 

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:24 AM

Hi!!! I' m an new user in this forum (it is very interesting).:thumbup:
I use emule but i m not an expert.
I read in this forum:

The fact is, total upload = total download within a network. A large portion of the users in the network are DSL type users with connections that can download at speeds over 100Kb/s but can only upload at about 12Kb/s.

I'm uploading continuously but i downloaded slightly. I uploaded about 20 Mb but i downloaded 10 Mb only. Is it possible?? I'm a hight id, and my download has 330 fonts.

P.s. My ADSL connection is sometimes unstable then i must reconnect to the network.
Disconnecting i will lost all my score??? And my QR???

#46 User is offline   10564 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:00 PM

I have the same problem since I installed v.42d; Downloadratio about 100:1. Hopefulle there will be a new version soon.

Greetings

#47 User is offline   GeVeZe 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:13 PM

Andu, on Jul 22 2003, 01:57 AM, said:

I think there is an important information missing.

Info:

Don't upload at more than ~80% of your line capacity otherwise you will saturate the line and downloaded packages cannot be acknowledged.

how can i gave high priority to download ancklowadgement packages...???

when uploading 50percent of capacity downloading slows 50 percent...
:D

there is a program named Cfos Trafic Shapeing
but i failed...

Realy hard problem...

#48 User is offline   GaMe oVeR 

• Custom member title!?!? What's this?
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:24 PM

No you do not have to use any program.
For example if you have 256/128 ADSL put the upload limit to 12/13.

128Kb/8 = 16KB Max upload speed
16 * 80% = ~13KB

GaMe oVeR

#49 User is offline   Bloody Angry 

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:48 PM

GeVeZe, on Apr 4 2004, 11:13 PM, said:

how can i gave high priority to download ancklowadgement packages...???

when uploading 50percent of capacity downloading slows 50 percent...
:D

there is a program named Cfos Trafic Shapeing
but i failed...

Realy hard problem...

You have to buy a very expensive Router/Firewall, or you can convert a non expensive computer to an advanced Router/Firewall with FreeBSD/OpenBSD.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

prioritizing packets in FreeBSD to improve asymmetric (cable/ADSL/xDSL) performance during upload

My ISP provides me a connection of 3 MegaBits downstream (384 KB/sec download) and 320 KiloBits upstream (40 KB/sec upload).

The speeds work as mentioned above when it's either/or, hence it's an asymmetric line. A 320 Kbit/sec upload pipe is pretty easy to saturate (by sending a large email, FTP, etc.) and this is where a problem occurs.

The problem, simply put, is that as the upload speed increases, the download speed decreases. This means that if someone is browsing a page on my web server, or I recently sent a large email, the download speed approaches zero, making my overall internet experience dismal.

Another problem with such a small upstream cap (albeit unrelated to the assymmetric problem described above) is that not all outgoing traffic is made the same. If someone is browsing my personal web site while I am working on a remote server via ssh (both outgoing packets), my ssh session should be given a higher priority than the web content being served up, since remote-administration is very real-time and "lag" between pressing a key and having it reach a remote server is unacceptable.

The good news is that the first box connected to my cable modem is my trusty FreeBSD do-everything box (gateway, firewall, NAT, DHCP, web server, web proxy, DNS proxy, mail server, and much more.). I managed (following some hints and concepts from Daniel Hartmeier) to lessen the negative effect of both problems mentioned above.

1: For asymmetric balance:

To make an analogy, a normal house/apartment mailbox is a good example. You can not control tha fact that advertisements for Dominos' pizza will be intermingled with your important court appearance order. A mailbox is either saturated, and all mail will then be rejected, or not saturated so new mail will be received. The priority of new mail is irrelevant for delivery. Once you collected your mail from the inbox though and have it on the dinner table, you can then sort it out and pay attention to the important ones first, then looking over the non-important ones later or tossing them out.

Back to computers and IP, the same theory stands. If other computers sent you packets, they will travel down your incoming pipe in the order they were sent. The computer's IP stack receives them (typically from the ethernet level) in the order they made it in. At that point an intelligent IP stack might have the ability to prioritize the packets so that certain ones get processed before the others, but the damage has already been done, since it's the pipe's saturation that really counts.

Depressing news ? Yes. That means that you can not prioritize your inbound pipe's traffic so that important incoming traffic, such as your stock updates or a video stream, get a bigger priority/chunk of the pipe compared to less-important data, such as a background FTP transfer.

All is not lost though. Unlike in the real-world analogy of the mailbox, IP, and specifically TCP, are much more complex. Especially helpful in our case is that every TCP packet received is acknowledged with an ACK packet. This will be our key to trick remote hosts/routers we're communicating with to do some prioritizing of incoming data. More on that later on.

2: For outgoing balance:

Unlike incoming packets, a computer has full control over it's outgoing packets. In the same sense that you prioritize paying your mortgage bills as soon as they come, while the mailing of your mother-in-law's present can wait a while, a computer can be told to send certain types of packets first before it sends any others.

Putting it all together:

To put it all together and to summarize the solution to the above 2 problems, we need to:

1. Prioritize our outgoing TCP ACK packets so that remote hosts know where we stand incoming-pipe wise, this takes care of problem 1
  2. Prioritize our outgoing packets of the types we want (such as ssh) over all others, taking care of problem 2

This is done with FreeBSD using ipfw and dummynet. Without further ado, here is the snippet of my firewall script that does the job:

#
# TRAFFIC SHAPING:
#

#
# Make packets exiting dummynet not continue down the chain
# If this is not enabled, then packets leaving an early
# queue might enter a later queue if the conditions for
# the later queue are met, which would be completely
# devastating to all the prioritizing we're doing
#
${fwcmd} enable one_pass

#
# Define our upload pipe:
#
${fwcmd} pipe 1 config bw 40KByte/s

#
# Define a high-priority queue
#
${fwcmd} queue 1 config pipe 1 weight 7

#
# Define a medium-high-priority queue
#
${fwcmd} queue 2 config pipe 1 weight 5

#
# Define a low-priority queue
#
${fwcmd} queue 3 config pipe 1 weight 1

#
# Assign outgoing empty/small ACK packets to the high-priority queue:
#
${fwcmd} add queue 1 tcp from any to any out via ${oif} tcpflags ack iplen 0-80

#
# Assign outgoing UDP (DNS/gaming) and SSH traffic to the medium-high-priority queue:
#
${fwcmd} add queue 2 tcp from any to any 22 out via ${oif}
${fwcmd} add queue 2 udp from any to any out via ${oif}

#
# Assign all other outgoing traffic to the low-priority queue:
#
${fwcmd} add queue 3 all from any to any out via ${oif}

The code above should be pretty-much self-explanatory. If it is not, you should not be touching the FreeBSD ipfw firewall.

The first half sets up the appropriate upload pipe and priority queues (see man dummynet for details).

The second half assigns different types of outgoing traffic to one of the 3 queues.

Note 1: You will need dummynet installed in your kernel before you can implement this. If you don't know how to do so, refer to the FreeBSD Handbook for instructions.

Note 2: Make sure you read man ipfw and especially the part about the one-pass sysctl variable net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass . Not doing so might inadvertently open up your firewall when you implement the above.

Note 3: The above prioritizes empty and small TCP ACK packets (which might contain a payload) into the high-priority queue. If this is not desirable and you want to prioritize empty ACK packets only (no payload), switch the iplen 0-80 in the example with iplen 52. This corresponds to an empty TCP ACK packet (20 bytes IP header + 32 bytes TCP header + 0 bytes payload).

#50 User is offline   space cowboy 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:37 AM

Hi, I posted something about this problem seem to have with the new eMule versions (the one people in the posts above are talking about), in this ame thread in the eMule forum, but I don't know why, it "misteryously" disappeared. Could be just me, I'm new (to the forums, not eMule), but I just can't find it (I wanted to see if someone replied), so I'll say it again...

I've been having this same problem with the recent versions of the program. I didn't change any setting, but the performance is terrible. I can't upload to anyone, and in the rare cases I can, the speed is not any bigger than 1kb/s. The same goes download. I left eMule running for more than a day, and it only dled 6MB and uled 36MB (it usually would dl at least 100MB)...

This is not a "newbie issue", cause I've been using eMule for almost a year, I've already uled 80GB and dled 34GB. I have read all help part, and a lot of FAQs out there. I recently upgraded from Win98 to XP, but the problem was alredy happening before this, and it still is...

I hope someone notices this now, cause I don't want to have to type all this again, and I want to finish watching my anime...

#51 User is offline   bert02 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:06 AM

ok i upgraded from the last emule b4 the kad was implemented to the 42e and i download about 2 mb for uploading 60 (on dial up i havent had any problems like this b4 so why is it doing it?

#52 User is offline   muddie 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:13 AM

i noticed a change with UL/DL ratios as well
i have high id running kad, high credit rating

i have noticed tho a new server message

Error: Client UDP socket, failed to receive data from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXX: Error
10054: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

the error message is nearly continuos, like 10 plus hits per min
i just thought this might be something to do with crappy ratio

i have tried a search on error 10054 with no luck

a mod/admin might like to comment

other than that emule has been great

regards

#53 User is offline   cobber1942 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:51 PM

I am not sure if this is still is a problem but I have noticed a substantial ratio difference. I am using Emule 0.42e. I have adjusted the settings based on this post from another forum, mostly out of frustration. My transfer ratios are at Session is at 4.76:1 :hammer2: and cumulative is 3.0.7:1

http://forums.afterd..._view.cfm/43305

Any help would be appreciated on this.

#54 User is offline   dark10304 

• Pip

Posted 12 April 2004 - 01:41 PM

same here i have been using emule/edonkey for over 4 yrs now and the connection issue is a big problem for me as well. i know my settings and have gone as far as reinstalling my os. i have a hi id but see roughly 50% less sources compared to like 5 mo ago. i really hate to relate the 2 but it seems i have had this slowly degrading, should i use the term, dying issue since right around the time "grumble"sr"grumble" to say the least went buh bye. hope that makes sence. any way as i have said before in other forums.. i feel the world is comming to an end and not litterally :ranting:

edit: oh and i tried to take some lsd and that was bunk.. also tried sleeping with my aunt sivka and she is all loose and nasty as well.. and of course tried jus ridin tha mule bareback..blah blah blah it all sucks! I just recently went out and blew $800 on a new 1/8th scale RC (GS Storm) and all these toolz and fuel and this and that because this whole situation with ....... err just sucks... everything has been tried that i could think of diff, mods, no mods, os reinstall (XP pro w/ and w/o SP1), all up to date, completely bypassed my router, played with all kinds of port forwarding settings when it was connected... kill me now!

dark

This post has been edited by dark10304: 12 April 2004 - 01:51 PM

#55 User is offline   Narus 

• Pip

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:07 PM

i have a question, when i connected with v0.30e i d/l all the time. no long time wait no nothing. but when i started using v0.42e last night all i got was three text files for the whole night. what could be the problem. oh i'm using Win2k and 56k connecten (sucky i know, but can't be helped at this time).

almost forgot, i after i connect this is what i get.

(icon with green arrow on the left and red on the right) Kademlia not connected, high ID in eD2k

This post has been edited by Narus: 12 April 2004 - 04:11 PM

#56 User is offline   leethax 

• Pip

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:46 AM

I have a different problem with some of my downloads. It only happens to downloads i really want asap. Download works fine throughout the day but stops at like 4-10 megs left to download. Nothing wrong with sources or anything. This one file i got 711.45 megs left out of 720, its been like this ALL day. 9 megs left, source through the roof but i havent been getting anything. This ticks me off. Does this happen to anyone else?

This post has been edited by leethax: 14 April 2004 - 02:50 AM

#57 User is offline   leexgx 

• UK MAD FOR LESS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:28 PM

is the file compleat is the last part RED if it is it was probly a fake/incompleat on network
in and around

#58 User is offline   ::(-_-):: Speedy B 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

Yo peeps!

When you downloading a bigger file, say a game or movie, it helps setting it state to "release" in your "file" section.

EDIT---
The icons in eMule version at the top say something like Kad, Server, Transfer, Search, and FILE. Click on file and search for the file you are currently downloading. It only gets displayed after a couple of MB when it is sufficient to be shared to others. Now, do a right-click, select priority -> release.
EDIT---

Through that, eMule deals more effectively with file requests giving them higher priority. Thus, you upload more of the file you want to download.

Now, why is that good? Because you receive more points more quickly making you jump the que substantially. This helps to more quickly connect to more clients giving you higher download speeds. Of course, you still can't hide from the fact that patience is the key.

In my case, when having access to a T1, I upload with 500 kp/h. After 2 1/2h I now am connected to 55 clients giving me a download rate of 150 kp/h. Now this is sweet! Connected sources are 950, which is unusally high I have to admit. But it's the fresh mon-mon-mon-mon-monster kill game :devil:

Hope that had helped.

me

This post has been edited by ::(-_-):: Speedy B: 19 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

#59 User is offline   mpager 

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:30 AM

Re: "I'm tired of hearing of everyone complaining about slow downloads and trying to explain the same thing over and over" Let me say this: As a teacher for many years there are always those who learn quickly without any effort from the teacher (In this case you are the teacher). And there are also those few who are very slow. Most 'leaners" fall in between. If many students (in this case us who keep on asking the same questions) don't seem to understand or fail a test then the problem is the teacher and teaching materials not the student. the problem many of us teachers have is that we forget that we know our subject well while others don't. You, for example, who may never have cooked a meal may not have many problems in following a recipe If i wee to give you one. All the info needed belongs to a set of pre-known facts (salt, one spoon of this 25ml of that....). On the other hand if I were to try and teach you Chinese or arabic where both tones are important and totally alien to your knowledge and there is no alphabet then you would have one hell of a time understanding anything for a very long time.

SO if we are asked questions again and again do NOt ever assume that they who are asking the question are the problem. they are not.

Is there anywhere in the FAQS for example, that explains exactly and in detail including definitons all the steps required? you may think Yes but the answer is absolutely not. Take for example myself one of the many ignorant poeple trying to get descent download speeds (anything over 10Kbps). For the 1st time in my life I feel like an idiot. Consider what you think is normal: you talk of 'ports' thinking that we know what you are talking about (the recipe vs. the chinese). Well until only a few weeks ago I thought that the ports were the same as those used to connect your printer. (and 6 months ago I thought forums were things the Romans used to feed slaves to lions). Go ahead and laugh. it's funny to me too NOW. But the point is hopefully obvious. In writing your explanantions you are assuming too much previous knowledge from us---which you have and we don't (and many do not have english as a 1st language either).

I tried everything that is mentioned in this thread and others and FAQs and I have yet to succeed. Somewhere there is a piece of information that I am not understanding (which???) or fail to see. When I say fail to see I mean just like when you are asked to get a can of beans from the shelf and though it is staring at you, you still fail to see it until someone actually points it out).

I have yet to reach an average 10Kbps download speed after 3 months (emule, overnet and edonkey). I have come to the point where I am embarrased to ask you guys for help or advice because I am made to feel like an idiot becasue I dared to ask the questions that were asked many times before.

#60 User is offline   markkens 

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2004 - 01:57 PM

mpager:
As a teacher, please check your spelling. Don't perpetuate error. :-k

• Member Options

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users