Official eMule-Board: All Riaa/mpaa Legal Problem - Talk Here. (7/28/03) - Official eMule-Board

Jump to content


  • (54 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

All Riaa/mpaa Legal Problem - Talk Here. (7/28/03) All other threads will be locked.

#1 User is offline   Unknown1 

  • Wanna be Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 1,288
  • Joined: 11-September 02

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:14 PM

There have been too many threads started about their ISP sending them letters due to various issues (RIAA, MPA, ect). For now on, only talk about RIAA and MPAA issues within this thread. All others will be locked or deleted.

The eMule team does not condone the use of its client for illegal activities. Therefore, any discussion explaining ways to circumvent these organizations for the sole purpose to download illegal material will be locked/deleted when found.

On a simular note. I am wanting to create some content for eMule's site.
Click here for more info.

#2 User is offline   venomhed 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 26-July 03

Posted 26 July 2003 - 09:56 PM

May I ask this then....

Since Kazaa is a centrally located server, similar to Napster without actually holding any files, the RIAA can go to the Kazaa office and attach their spyware onto their server(s) to see who is doing what, where and why.

Now, since I heard eMule/Doneky is Peer to Peer is there a way for the RIAA or any other company under the DMCA to do the same to this type of file sharing?

Please fill us in on how this could be done, if possible.

Thanks

This post has been edited by venomhed: 26 July 2003 - 09:56 PM

0

#3 User is offline   venomhed 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 26-July 03

Posted 27 July 2003 - 04:17 AM

The EMULE developers are proud that they have JUST NOW produced a release
that PROVES your identitiy to all other clients by SECURE and IN-CIRCUMVENTABLE
cryptographic algorithms.


Maybe this is the answer?
0

#4 User is offline   drorsdd 

  • -=??LSD-subforum??=-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 21-November 02

Posted 27 July 2003 - 06:52 PM

so can an emule user that uses the latest 0.29c with the secure ident feature and that do not show his shares can be sues by the RIAA ?
i understand that with kaza the actual files are on the servers while in emule the srevres only do the source finding/exchange. but is this enough?
<a href='http://earth.prohosting.com/drorsdd/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page1**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page2**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v01.zip' target='_blank'>**eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v0.1**</a>
webtmpl sample images [1] [2]
0

#5 User is offline   Unknown1 

  • Wanna be Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 1,288
  • Joined: 11-September 02

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:13 PM

Kazaa does the same thing as eMule.. The servers only index files.. All files are between the users, not servers.. Therefore, there is no difference between Kazaa and eMule in this regard.. The fact is, in 99.9999% of all P2P networks, you have to connect to the other guy to download from them.. Sure, you may go through proxies and what not.. But there is still a connection that can be looked at.. The secure ident has nothing to do with it.. Turn it off if you want.. These people could care less if your using some type of ident system.. All they are about is the IP address..

#6 User is offline   drorsdd 

  • -=??LSD-subforum??=-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 21-November 02

Posted 27 July 2003 - 09:09 PM

Unknown1, on Jul 27 2003, 09:13 PM, said:

Kazaa does the same thing as eMule.. The servers only index files.. All files are between the users, not servers.. Therefore, there is no difference between Kazaa and eMule in this regard.. The fact is, in 99.9999% of all P2P networks, you have to connect to the other guy to download from them.. Sure, you may go through proxies and what not.. But there is still a connection that can be looked at.. The secure ident has nothing to do with it.. Turn it off if you want.. These people could care less if your using some type of ident system.. All they are about is the IP address..

so its all a matter of luck? an IP lottery ?or is there a way to "protect" ourself?
i guess some countries are more pron to the RIAA power then others :-k

This post has been edited by drorsdd: 27 July 2003 - 09:09 PM

<a href='http://earth.prohosting.com/drorsdd/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page1**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page2**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v01.zip' target='_blank'>**eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v0.1**</a>
webtmpl sample images [1] [2]
0

#7 User is offline   Smoke 

  • not human
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,556
  • Joined: 23-September 02

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:33 PM

@drorsdd
You can protect yourself by not downloading anything which is copyrighted in some or the other way.

It is as simple as that, why demanding the devs for backup ? Are they responsible for what you are doing ?

Rgds, Smoke
0

#8 User is offline   Lone_punk 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 28-July 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:38 AM

So how ez is it for the RIAA to find a users ip on emule? :cool2:
0

#9 User is offline   Unknown1 

  • Wanna be Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 1,288
  • Joined: 11-September 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 04:08 AM

As easy as I can say your IP is xxx.170.49.xxx.

I blocked out the two numbers so I didn't spam it to everyone.. But wanted to make a point.. It doesn't matter what program your using.. Web browser, ftp, or P2P client. You have to tell someone your IP to get information.. If not, then how do you receive it?

Let me put it this way.. Speeding is against the law right? But, many people still speed.. Why? Because there are not enough cops to watch everywhere all the time.. The cops find a area where people are speeding the most, and set back give tickets until people see what's going on and start slowing down at the spot.. Then the cop goes to the next hot spot and starts over.. Some people never get tickets and speed all the time.. Others get a ticket the first(and only) time they ever went over the speed limit.. It's the luck of the draw that people have to accept if they want to contiue that habit..

OK, I went on a tangent.. Sorry..

#10 User is offline   Lone_punk 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 28-July 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 04:38 AM

ok i get what you are saying, well you got my ip form a log (takeing a guess) and i know the servers keep logs so would the RIAA have to set up a server and see what is going throw or will they have to "ask" the other servers for there logs?
0

#11 User is offline   drorsdd 

  • -=??LSD-subforum??=-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 21-November 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:48 AM

Smoke, on Jul 28 2003, 12:33 AM, said:

@drorsdd
You can protect yourself by not downloading anything which is copyrighted in some or the other way.

It is as simple as that, why demanding the devs for backup ? Are they responsible for what you are doing ?

Rgds, Smoke

first of all i take full responsibility for my actions and certinly not demanding anything ftom the dev team .

@unknown1
thanks for the kind reply.
<a href='http://earth.prohosting.com/drorsdd/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page1**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page2**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v01.zip' target='_blank'>**eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v0.1**</a>
webtmpl sample images [1] [2]
0

#12 User is offline   zerobyte 

  • Sinclair ZX81 elite coder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 762
  • Joined: 15-November 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:15 AM

to all, who just didn't get it yet: as anyone with the slightest clue of networking can tell you:

THERE IS NO SECURITY, NO SAFETY AND NO ANONYMITY ON ANY P2P SYSTEM!

that's the nature of such systems. get used to it. why is this so hard to comprehend?

00h
just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean you're not one of them.
0

#13 User is offline   dablunt 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 14-January 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 12:15 PM

Unknown1, on Jul 28 2003, 04:08 AM, said:

As easy as I can say your IP is xxx.170.49.xxx.

I blocked out the two numbers so I didn't spam it to everyone.. But wanted to make a point.. It doesn't matter what program your using.. Web browser, ftp, or P2P client. You have to tell someone your IP to get information.. If not, then how do you receive it?

Let me put it this way.. Speeding is against the law right? But, many people still speed.. Why? Because there are not enough cops to watch everywhere all the time.. The cops find a area where people are speeding the most, and set back give tickets until people see what's going on and start slowing down at the spot.. Then the cop goes to the next hot spot and starts over.. Some people never get tickets and speed all the time.. Others get a ticket the first(and only) time they ever went over the speed limit.. It's the luck of the draw that people have to accept if they want to contiue that habit..

OK, I went on a tangent.. Sorry..

what about IP spoofing? <_<
0

#14 User is offline   Elandal 

  • Nobody in particular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Debugger
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 25-November 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:33 PM

IP spoofing doesn't work if ISP has set up edge routers correctly with egress filtering. Also, IP spoofing may be illegal disruption of telecommunications. Where such is the case, it's a criminal offence where copyright infringement is a civil offence. I'd rather take my chances in civil case than criminal case.
0

#15 User is offline   misczu 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-July 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:26 PM

is it possible to download with a spoofed ip?
0

#16 User is offline   Elandal 

  • Nobody in particular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Debugger
  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 25-November 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:43 PM

Of course not. Spoofing means using something else than your own IP as the source for packets. Without your IP nobody can send you data.

Could those who talk about spoofing drop the issue, as spoofing breaks the internet. Spoofing is bad. It may be illegal. But even if I wouldn't care about legality, it's definitely bad for the network, as it's against standards. If I catch anyone using spoofed IP, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure they get dragged to court and judged guilty of telecommunications disruption (in USA this probably also means act of terrorism), and get to spend time in prison. And if it isn't illegal whereever you live, I'll just send some nice guys who like the sound of bones breaking to visit you. Whatever you do, do not break the net.
0

#17 User is offline   ihos 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 31-December 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:40 PM

Elandal, on Jul 28 2003, 07:43 PM, said:

If I catch anyone using spoofed IP, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure they get dragged to court and judged guilty of telecommunications disruption (in USA this probably also means act of terrorism), and get to spend time in prison. And if it isn't illegal whereever you live, I'll just send some nice guys who like the sound of bones breaking to visit you. Whatever you do, do not break the net.

Man, did you serve in the SS in WWII? Nobody deserves to be put in jail for crap like IP spoofing. If he deserves to be put in jail on any reason for that matter.
0

#18 User is offline   Lone_punk 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 28-July 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:42 PM

But IP spoofingis domb in it shelf becouse like he said is brings down the network.
0

#19 User is offline   drorsdd 

  • -=??LSD-subforum??=-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 21-November 02

Posted 28 July 2003 - 09:52 PM

Lone_punk, on Jul 28 2003, 11:42 PM, said:

But IP spoofingis domb in it shelf becouse like he said is brings down the network.

why?
can u explain what iits all about.?
<a href='http://earth.prohosting.com/drorsdd/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page1**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/' target='_blank' >**My eMule Info Page2**</a>
<a href='http://www.angelfire.com/ex/emule-land/eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v01.zip' target='_blank'>**eMule_drorsdd_WebTmpl_v0.1**</a>
webtmpl sample images [1] [2]
0

#20 User is offline   venom_il 

  • We are one
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 292
  • Joined: 23-March 03

Posted 28 July 2003 - 10:15 PM

Elandal, on Jul 28 2003, 05:43 PM, said:

And if it isn't illegal whereever you live, I'll just send some nice guys who like the sound of bones breaking to visit you. Whatever you do, do not break the net.

LOL

sure you didnt forget a smiley there ? :lol:
0

  • Member Options

  • (54 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users