Official eMule-Board: Hardware/nas Or Virtual Machine For Emule - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Hardware/nas Or Virtual Machine For Emule which is the best choice?

#1 User is offline   dam76 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi guys! I recently realized that I still have a Windows notebook at home just to work as an emule client.
I was thinking that it would be more energy-efficient to set up something like a NAS to be online 24/7 and I could connet via smartphone/tablet/wdtv/chromecast just to manage downloads and play contents.

Does anyone have some experience with this and can suggest a good solution that works and is not very expensive?

I live in Italy.

Or maybe rent a Windows virtual machine with a provider that does not care too much what you do with it...

Please share if you found some valid hardware alternatives!

#2 User is offline   coluche 

• hm ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

I think some notebooks are among the best available solution in low power consumption.
- Pentium-M based old ones, but typically have only small harddisks. Very cheap pre-owned on ebay etc. (battery is usually dead, but does not matter for emule-box)
- New ones with Celeron N or Pentium-N are so low in Power consumption, that they come in passive-cooled. Here in Germany you can get them new from ~250€ onwards (no windows). So pre-owned ones should be even cheaper. And you would have a backup-notebook in case your main notebook or desktop get broken or lost/stolen or whatever.

Probably the lowest in power-consumption (and cheap) solution would be a raspberry + external 2.5" harddisk + amule.

Old Notebooks with Pentium 3 or Pentium 4 and such are no good in low-power consumption. And most NAS consume more power than low-profile notebooks. (I did not look into this for 2 or 3 years, so may have changed)

To connect :
I do not know about smartphone clients for this, the MobileMule thing is abandoned since long time, I am afraid.
But you can always use emule webserver, and then connect to emule through Webbrowser.
It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a Wild Man, so bug off!

#3 User is offline   Alicemorris 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

View Postdam76, on 19 November 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

Hi guys! I recently realized that I still have a Windows notebook at home just to work as an emule client.
I was thinking that it would be more energy-efficient to set up something like a NAS to be online 24/7 and I could connet via smartphone/tablet/wdtv/chromecast just to manage downloads and play contents.

Does anyone have some experience with this and can suggest a good solution that works and is not very expensive?

I live in Italy.

Or maybe rent a Windows virtual machine with a provider that does not care too much what you do with it...

Please share if you found some valid hardware alternatives!

Which version of windows you are using. You need at least windows 7 to play content from your mobile device to your Tv

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users