#81 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

View Postinman, on 02 July 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

I don't see

Then try to improve your vision.
Use of powersharing automatically on every file that you assumed (possibly, assumed incorrectly) to be rare is a bad idea.

This post has been edited by fox88: 05 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

#82 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

View Postfox88, on 04 July 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

View Postinman, on 02 July 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

I don't see

Then try to improve your vision.
Use of powersharing automatically on every file that you assumed (possibly, assumed incorrectly) to be rare is a bad idea.

Then why does MorphXT have an auto powershare (up to a number of sources), as well as a limited powershare? I have this turned on all the time & I powershare quality only. F*Ck you if you think I share rare trojans & BULLS*t you presumptuous C*NT.

#83 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

View Postinman, on 05 July 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I have this turned on all the time & I powershare quality only.

I'm afraid understanding that you are not the only user in the net requires certain level of brain activity.

#84 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

I'm afraid understanding this requires a certain level of brain activity: Only sharing a few rare files, with lowID especially, has the same outcome as a powershare.

This post has been edited by inman: 05 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

#85 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

View Postinman, on 05 July 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'm afraid understanding this requires a certain level of brain activity: Only sharing a few rare files, with lowID especially, has the same outcome as a powershare.

Misplaced 'Only'; you failed.

#86 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

If I were only to share some file(s) which got very few requests, making them "rare", then I could effectively "powershare" a file. Low IDs also effectively "powershare" files due to shorter queues than high IDs mean their queue often doesn't rotate.

Sharing popular files and rare files, and not pushing these rare files enough causes a long wait. Fact. I don't care though, because I can afford Usenet and access to private torrents and hubs where I can find these files without waiting a very long time. Or waiting so long that the original sharer disappears for months and you have to cancel it.

I won't powershare anymore then. Thanks for the grand advice. When you come to want a 6GB+ rare file, quickly from me, wait months, and years for it. See if I care.

#87 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

View Postinman, on 06 July 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

If I were only to share some file(s) which got very few requests, making them "rare", then I could effectively "powershare" a file. Low IDs also effectively "powershare" files due to shorter queues than high IDs mean their queue often doesn't rotate.

Your ideas boils down to: Give a man enough rope and he’ll hang himself.

This post has been edited by fox88: 07 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

#88 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

View Postfox88, on 07 July 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

View Postinman, on 06 July 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

Your ideas boils down to: Give a man enough rope and he’ll hang himself.

And in this case, any rope is enough rope. Any amount of requests can result in a powershare, depending on: Amount of requests to available upload slots and size of file to upload speed.

#89 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

View Postinman, on 07 July 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

And in this case, any rope is enough rope.

If you never knew, the saying is about certain mental qualities of the user, not about properties of the rope.
That is, you always manage to misread, misuse or misinterpret.

#90 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Why are you so against powershare when Emule allows this to happen?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not having a powershare function not only stops unique parts from spreading, Emule also still allows the file to be spread from start to finish (thanks to "Xunlei" or whatever mod those [chn]xthame users use.) Which official Emule STILL doesn't ban and is always ignored whenever I bring up Xunlei in arguments such as this.

You either get a better banning system or quit bringing up your arguments on the powershare being "harmful".

#91 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

View Postinman, on 15 July 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

Why are you so against powershare when Emule allows this to happen?

This can and will happen with powershare too. Do you have better ideas?

Not having a powershare function not only stops unique parts from spreading, Emule also still allows the file to be spread from start to finish

eMule uploads what was requested by downloader. Sequential downloading could be partially prevented by other features, not by powershare.

You either get a better banning system or quit bringing up your arguments on the powershare being "harmful".

You better learn how things work before starting to teach.
I repeat for those who barely could read: automatic powersharing of every file reported to be 'rare' is a poor idea.

#92 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

This can and will happen with powershare too. Do you have better ideas?

Powersharing will help solve the problem of sequential downloading as powersharing shares unique parts of the file, and not the same parts of the file from the first part to the last. If many have the first parts of the file, powersharing balances that out by sharing only the last parts of the file, until parts are balanced again. Emule should NOT allow sequential downloading as it does. Again, if it not a problem caused by official Emule (but a bad mod) so this should not be a discussion.

eMule uploads what was requested by downloader.

And those downloaders who download sequentially are using bad mods. Emule needs to ban downloaders who request parts of files in sequence. Only the first chunk should be allowed for previewing.

Sequential downloading could be partially prevented by other features, not by powershare.

Such as?

You better learn how things work before starting to teach.
I repeat for those who barely could read: automatic [sic] powersharing of every file reported to be 'rare' is a poor idea.

You do not know what is a poor idea or a good idea until it is tested. Not taking risks and evolving will just mean the program fades into obscurity, as it has done.

I repeat for those that can't punctuate:

I also believe a lot of the time, lowIDs upload speed is not maxed to the limit, as they can connect to far less users. So they often have excess bandwidth to offer to those they can connect to. Often, a lowID user never stops transferring to me, until the file is complete.
There are far too many low IDs so some files are effectively 'powershared' to high IDs, regardless of whether they even have the function or not.

Power-sharing works best with these conditions: Few requests for a large file size OR many requests for a large part of the file that is unique to the uploader. Therefore, the file does not necessarily have to be rare (as per my file below.) Here is the same file a few days later, now off powershare:

Posted Image

is it rare? No. It just had many users requesting a unique part from one user and thanks to a powershare it is now well spread.

This post has been edited by inman: 18 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

#93 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

View Postinman, on 18 July 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Emule should NOT allow sequential downloading as it does.

You need to go back to school: eMule cannot know this.
If your picture had no relation to powershare, why bring it up at all?

Such as?

Hiding available parts, naturally. (Not the best feature too.)

You do not know what is a poor idea or a good idea until it is tested.

Speak for yourself.

#94 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

You need to go back to school: eMule cannot know this.
If your picture had no relation to powershare, why bring it up at all?

I never said Emule can know this. If Emule cannot, then the simple solution would be to ban the suspected mods.
It did have a relation to powershare, as I already explained (see above) sequential downloading will distribute files unevenly, meaning a powershare is more likely to be needed to share the parts of the file that are unique to one user. If you look at the picture, you can clearly see how unbalanced it is by the dark blue bars contrasting with the red.

Just to show it wasn't a coincidence:

Posted Image

it's scandalous that they can't even be banned.
As soon as one user is banned, another user with the exact same IP appears.

Posted Image

Hiding available parts, naturally. (Not the best feature too.)

So you are against powershare, but not against a function which hides available parts such as 'share only the need?' Share only the need (or any hiding of available parts) and powershare cannot work together. Since Xtreme, MorphXT and maybe others use powershare, then bringing in that specific feature to the majority of users on official Emule means powershare ceases to function properly, when it can work very well in certain situations (as I have already explained.)

#95 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

View Postinman, on 19 July 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

I never said Emule can know this.

This is called logic (not your strongest side).
Your words:

View Postinman, on 02 July 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

(Automatic) powershare functions should be a MUST.

Now try to tell how eMule would use the feature automatically, if it could not know if the files/parts were rare.

If Emule cannot, then the simple solution would be to ban the suspected mods.

People too often speak about simple without knowing what it means in practice.

it's scandalous that they can't even be banned.

Write a simple piece of code to ban such clients.

So you are against powershare, but not against a function which hides available parts such as 'share only the need?'

Since when a genius is required to tell the difference between knowing about feature and being for (or against) it?

#96 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

This is called logic (not your strongest side).

OK? I never said, or implied, that Emule can or has to know this for certain.

Now try to tell how eMule would use the feature automatically, if it could not know if the files/parts were rare.

Again, I never said, or implied, that Emule can or has to know this for certain. You have also not stated whether your use of 'know' means 'know for certain' or 'knows at a certain significance/probability' or what? Therefore, how can there be flaws in my logic when you (or I) never specified the level of significance that Emule can/cannot know the number of parts/popularity of the file? In short: IT CAN USE INDICATIONS.

To answer your question: The same method that MorphXT or Xtreme 'knows' (I use this term loosely)/gets these indications, obviously. Of course, it can't know for certain, and I never stated this.

Now tell me why we shouldn't have a powershare, and we should wait months/years in someone's queue just because you can't be 100% sure of the number of sources for a file/part? Tell me why you don't think the indications of sources for files/parts are accurate enough in these mods, in order to justify a significant cut down some in the waiting time? Where is the data/proof that the 'indications for no. of sources' are not accurate enough for the justification to 'forbid a powershare function' - has anyone actually tested it?

I have waited 2 years for a 1.5 GB file, and it took all time is because nobody is willing to take any risks, or evolve the program beyond the old principles and philosophies. Everyone is stuck in the same old 'principles' and 'philosophies' and if everyone agreed on these principles and philosophies then we wouldn't have all these different (yet perfectly fair) mods. I sat a huge queue for hours, days, weeks and never made any progress up that queue & all because of you and others stand by this principle. You can stand by these principles, and you are correct in doing so, but I fail to see how your argument outweighs my argument in justifying whether you should forbid powershare automatically or not.

In addition, to the possibility of waiting a long time, remember that there is a huge flaw in the efficiency of the priority system. If many users are requesting a part unique to one user, then automatically the priority goes down to "[lo]" as many users are requesting, and so the program is 'tricked' into thinking the file is popular and therefore needs less of a priority. Of course, this should actually be given a higher priority in this instance.

It also doesn't have to be automatically. However, automatically is best because people are lazy and won't turn on powershare when they see someone waiting for a rare, large file with few requests or rare part(s) with many requests. Again, you don't really know what works best until you test it but on my experience, and arguments above, powershare is a MUST unless you can prove, with sufficient data, source indications are consistently inaccurate. Further arguments and counter-arguments without any proof are not really necessary, as you will never change my mind.

People too often speak about simple without knowing what it means in practice.

Emule does not currently ban for re-asking too often, whilst mods do, judging by these old topics:
http://forum.emule-p...howtopic=155410
http://forum.emule-p...howtopic=156858

This is one way to ban at least some of these pesky cheaters that make use of these mods.

Write a simple piece of code to ban such clients.

That is not my job. If those requesting sequential downloads cannot be banned, then powershare must be feature needed to balance out the sources the latter parts of the file. You cannot win both the argument that 'this can't be done' and 'another feature (e.g a powershare) is not needed.' if code can't be written, then powershare (or you could argue another feature) is needed order to counter this problem of sequential downloading.

Since when a genius is required to tell the difference between knowing about feature and being for (or against) it?

A "genius" should know whether they're in favor of one feature, or the other, based on the pros and cons of each; given that the 'hiding available parts' and 'powershare' features can't work in harmony.

This post has been edited by inman: 19 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

#97 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

View Postinman, on 19 July 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

OK? I never said, or implied, that Emule can or has to know this for certain.

Then you do not understand what you writing, and that definitely is not 'OK'.

Everyone is stuck in the same old 'principles' and 'philosophies'

I'll skip that huge part of your whining, because it is mostly based on an assumption that the system is particularly unfriendly to you personally.

It also doesn't have to be automatically.

Before telling how it should be done, at least please make up your mind first.

That is not my job.

Sure; your job is to tell it is simple while having no idea of what you are talking about.

A "genius" should know whether they're in favor of one feature, or the other

Are you pretending to be a dimwit?

This post has been edited by fox88: 19 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

#98 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

Then you do not understand what you wirting [sic], and that definitely is not 'OK'.

Where did I say/imply that Emule has to know for certain?

I'll skip that huge part of your whining, becasuse [sic] it is mostly based on an assumption that the system is particularly unfriendly to you personally.

Any file with one-three source(s) can take a very long time, regardless of size although 100MB+ files take a particularly long time, so no I am not under any assumption. A powershare would not only, obviously, speed this up waiting time but also make more users try to download files with only one source.

You can see from a basic tutorial such as this one - https://www.youtube....h?v=-dcYzMSxKec - that users are clearly put off downloading from only one source (as I am.)

You have also ignored my part about the flaw in priority system - when it changes to "[lo]" when a large amount of users request one unique part - and the powershare acting as a counter to sequential downloading. So I assume you have agreed on that part.

Before telling how it should be done, at least please make up your mind first.

My mind is made up. I was simply telling you I was willing to compromise. Perhaps you should learn to interpret things correctly, before having the cheek of accusing others of not doing so.

Sure; your job is to tell it is simple while having no idea of what you are talking about.

You forget I base my statements mostly on experience. From from my experience, MorphXT bans 99% them (yet Emule does not), so it is a simple solution to ban the users. Emule's client analyzer is not effective enough, from my experience.

I was simply telling you I do not write code for a living (so another misinterpretation or just a poor troll). It's ironic you (earlier) said I should go back to school as experience > knowledge in the vast majority of jobs. So keep up the poor trolling. :thumbup:

Are you pretending to be a dimwit?

No, but it seems you are incapable of forming any sort of opinion.
A genius should form an opinion based on the balance of the pros and cons. You have yet to state any pros of hiding the available parts (in regards to countering sequential downloading) and have just simply stated it's "not the best feature." A genius should form an argument that isn't based on dismissing an entire argument with "emule doesn't know something for certain" which is what essentially your entire argument is.

This post has been edited by inman: 19 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

#99 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

View Postinman, on 19 July 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

Where did I say/imply that Emule has to know for certain?

Hint: find the word automatic.

View Postinman, on 19 July 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

No, but it seems you are incapable of forming any sort of opinion.

It might seem to you that this was a smart remark.
But it was just another example of nonsense: if opinion was not stated, it does not mean there is none.

PS. Thanks for spell checking.

#100 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hint: find the word automatic.

Nope, nothing about knowing the sources for certain in the definition of an automatic powershare: "Auto
In this mode PS will decide itself if there are enough sources around or if the file should be powershared."
Source: http://wiki.emule-we....php/PowerShare

But it was just another example of nonsense: if opinion was not stated, it does not mean there is none.

PS. Thanks for spell checking.

Exactly, all you do is dismiss other suggestions without offering any better solutions or explanations.

P.S. You capitalize the first letter of a word after a colon.

This post has been edited by inman: 19 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

• Member Options

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users