• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

View Postinman, on 26 March 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

I don't want to take this debate any further

View Postinman, on 26 March 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Elaborating on your point would help.

This confuses me a bit.
Anyway you are beating a dead horse: eMule neither will remove the credit system nor will implement a power share like option, at least not now. You can understand this if you read between the lines of this forum, too.
Back to the basic: eMule is about sharing, not downloading. eMule developers seem to really care about this.
Rules, laws, limits and (sometimes) unfeatures... usually they are set by humans to protect humans from humans. In this case a lot of us (or at least me) would like eMule to keep going on, but it will not if bad decisions are made.
Keep in mind other file sharing programs with different file sharing mechanisms and logics exist. (And I would like to read about eMule only in official eMule board).

#62 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PosttHeWiZaRdOfDoS, on 26 March 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Remember the "golden" age of leecher mods?

No, not really. Maybe I joined the band a little later.

Exploiting the credit system (which has been made harder, lately) drastically improved the download rates.

I assume that buggy implementation was fixed later, was it not?

That put aside, there is basically nothing a mod can actually do because the bottleneck is the ed2k network (by design) and the main user base (who use vanilla eMule).

The bottleneck might be not so much in design, but in the usage pattern.

eMule now supports way higher upload speeds but still has a 3kB/s per slot target speed.

Again, depending on usage pattern that target might be non-problem.
Though shifts towards having less slots if those reliably fill allowed upload limit, might be attempted.
However, it should be implemented better than the initial idea of slotfocus, when there are as few slots as possible.

This post has been edited by fox88: 27 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

#63 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostSome Support, on 26 March 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostniRRity, on 25 March 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

@Some Support
The answers to your questions are right in front of you. Look at the interfaces of successful P2P clients and websites and you will see what I mean. uTorrent has no connect button, no server list, no message tab and no nonsense.

There is no reason to compare it to another network if we have such a client made out of eMule already as I pointed out. And again I don't really like it.
I also don't think eMule needs to imitate uTorrent - what is the point? A user who prefers the quick download style will always prefer the uTorrent client as due to the nature of the network it will be faster. eMule will not be a alternative to that even if it changes to the causal users interace. On the other hand users who like being able to control and manipulate everything will be disappointed. One small change we probably really should do is stop making the server screenlist the default one on the start up, but instead the download screen.

You are assuming that most of the users of uTorrent choose it over emule because the BT network is faster, I disagree with that assumption. Befor uTorrent came along BT clients UIs were as bad as emules and although users transferred over to them it was not until uTorrent came along with it's simple and straight forward interface that users really started to switch in masses. It blew out other BT clients as well. So it has nothing to do with the speed of the network...

EasyMule was a step in he right direction. If it wasn't aimed at the Chinese market and had something shady about it I'm sure it would be much more successful then it was.

#64 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostniRRity, on 27 March 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

You are assuming that most of the users of uTorrent choose it over emule because the BT network is faster, I disagree with that assumption. Befor uTorrent came along BT clients UIs were as bad as emules and although users transferred over to them it was not until uTorrent came along with it's simple and straight forward interface that users really started to switch in masses.

I don't think this is true. The interface of most BT clients looked pretty similar back then. I remember Azureus was quite a hog written in Java (which is why it kinda died) but the UI looked had the some generic functions uTorrent has today. Which is not a surprise, as Bittorrent by itself needs less user interactions, given that there are no serverlists and bootstrapping nodes are fetched from the trackers (/central servers).

EasyMule was a step in he right direction.

I disagree. And it's just that, those are two different takes on the issue. I can see how one would prefer the maximal simplified approach for applications, but I don't like it for eMule. Things should be easy to handle but not on the cost of hiding important things from the user. eMule is no one-click download app and it never aimed to be one. Yes those have a bigger markt share (and uTorrent eats it up because the network fits to that approach), but market share isn't out top priority.

Also, unfortunatly I don't have numbers or even guesses on how popular easyMule is these days in china, but I doubt it is anywhere near uTorrent. Given that for the most part China has its own little ecosystem of files, that would be an interesting answer whether chaning the target audience and positioning it as direct competition to uTorrent actually helps or hurts it's popularity.

eMule now supports way higher upload speeds but still has a 3kB/s per slot target speed.

Indeed. The 3KB/s is somewhat outdated these days for high speed lines, I agree. I'll look into changing it for the next beta. I think something based on the number of open slots would work without any risk of messing the current mechanism up in any way. Like the 3KB/s up to 10 slots, 10KB/s up to 20 slots and 20KB/s up to 40 slots and after that 50KB/s.

#65 User is offline   tHeWiZaRdOfDoS 

• Man, what a bunch of jokers...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostSome Support, on 27 March 2015 - 06:47 PM, said:

Indeed. The 3KB/s is somewhat outdated these days for high speed lines, I agree. I'll look into changing it for the next beta. I think something based on the number of open slots would work without any risk of messing the current mechanism up in any way. Like the 3KB/s up to 10 slots, 10KB/s up to 20 slots and 20KB/s up to 40 slots and after that 50KB/s.

That would be fantastic, really :worthy:

#66 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

Damn it,
just the week I go in holidays you start to actually discussing this issues...

Now on the topic...

I fully agree with what domdom75 wrote, CS and Q needs to be removed as I did on Neo.

Cheers
David X.
NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,
as well as many other new features.
It is written in C++ with Qt and is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

#67 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

View Postfox88, on 27 March 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

View Postinman, on 27 March 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

You still don't get it. Credit system is not the only factor involved, it is the constant of time (that Emule is left running and the files are shared as a consequence) combined with credits gained that gets you up queues.
Apparently, there are more variables. Just in case you read Docs long ago, there are articles: Credits, Rating and Score and Credit System
Now, do you get that we should mostly look at the difference made by the use of credits in these calculations, leaving all other factors aside?

I read only "Credit System". Why, when outside factors are clearly more influential?
It further depends upon:
1). Upload & download speed and the amount of files shared. Sharing few files with a high upload speed results in file trading, and depends mostly on luck of timing, as per any other P2P.
2). The priority assigned to the file. Queues can totally be negated with a release function, or a powershare function, or both.
3.) The availability of highIDs. LowIDs can improve their credit ratio with highIDS only. HighIDs must upload more in order for lowIDs to finish.

You also need to take into consideration the amount of people that use Emule on a day to day basis. Back in the "glory days" of Emule (say 2005-2007) there were many, many more users. The sheer size of the population, coupled with balanced upload limitations, facilitated sharing many chunks with many users and not trading all the chunks with few users (as per today). Most of what I download now has 1-2 sources, even less if you are on lowID. It is (often) pot luck of timing as to whether I get these files quickly in one download session, or whether they take months.

View Postinman, on 27 March 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

I meant the CS takes GREATER effect with GREATER Emule runtime and share time.

Waiting time, used in calculations, is neither runtime nor share time. It is the time since last entering queue.
There is one good reason to give more to people with good credits: they probably will keep sharing and provide more sources instead of unsharing right away.

While that is true, this still ignores that waiting time is dependent on run time and share time. If you stop Emule running, then you lose your place in the queue. I am aware that you can reboot Emule, and not connect to Kad or a server and still upload to some users who were last seen entering your queue, but the effect of this is slim to none, and only works for a short length of time.
For those that immediately unshare "share time" is the same as "download time" (which has decreased a lot in modern times.) The CS is not leech proof. High speeds facilitate leeching.

My case in point:

View Posterroneous, on 27 March 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

i leave one day 24/7 open just got 12MB, I was on query at number 80, did a close for my purposes open back and as usual i am not on 80 but 1000 or 1500 on pending. The query still hasn't changed since the glory days. The query or credit system is "The biggest failure of this application" and until it exist will force the last user to remove/unninstall application as i am doing right now.

Also, explain this:
Posted Image
As you can see I have uploaded 38.27GB of 4.37GB incomplete file (I have hidden the name but you can see it's incomplete as it is blue.) I have roughly uploaded 9 times the file size, and still don't have it complete. Why is this? It is due to the time I have left Emule running for. If I upload a lot in a short time, and other slower users and immediate unshares leave it running for longer than me then they can: A) Finish before me. B.) Unshare it C.) Not give anything back to the huge amounts I uploaded to them.
This is another case of where the CS fails due to greater influence of outside factors. You say waiting time is not run time or share time. TRUE! But it is DIRECTLY DEPENDENT on these factors, and run time and share time is also DEPENDENT on speeds and the user! You can see it is much more complicated than what you are making out to be, and what you are saying "they probably will keep sharing and provide more sources instead of unsharing right away" only works in a perfect world. A world which we don't live in.

#68 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

View Postinman, on 28 March 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

While that is true, this still ignores that waiting time is dependent on run time and share time. If you stop Emule running

I agree that importance of electricity supply is totally underestimated in this discussion.

The CS is not leech proof.

Prove it with an exploit please.

High speeds facilitate leeching.

Pretty much like high speeds facilitate fast downloads.

My case in point:

Try to recall about leacher mods.

This is another case of where the CS fails due to greater influence of outside factors.

Speculations going in your head on the subject what CS does and what it must do. Those speculations have very remote relation to the real picture.

This post has been edited by fox88: 01 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

#69 User is offline   HostFat 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:18 AM

oh oh oh, it's fun to come back here and see the truth coming out.

There where a lot of flames here and elsewhere, where some users (like me) were saying that eMule was just killing the eDonkey network, and a lot of other mindless fanboys without a clue of economic forces that were saying otherwise.

Some good features that eDonkey2000 and Overnet had before the MPAA shut down the MetaMachine:
- N-way Q (a queue for file. Good for files with few sources. Smaller the queue, higher the priority in sharing)
- High priority for smaller files
- Smaller chunks (so clients are able to share parts earlier)
- Horde (high priority for a file chosen by the user, with tit-for-tat management like torrent)
- No fucking CS!

But it's probably too late

It was simple (without many useless and harmful features) and they were working perfectly.

A P2P network means peer to peer. "Peer" means that everyone has to follow the same rules! 1000 different mods with 1000 different sharing logic isn't a good idea for a P2P network.

This post has been edited by HostFat: 01 April 2015 - 03:02 AM

#70 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostZangune, on 27 March 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

View Postinman, on 26 March 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

I don't want to take this debate any further

View Postinman, on 26 March 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

Elaborating on your point would help.

This confuses me a bit.
Anyway you are beating a dead horse: eMule neither will remove the credit system nor will implement a power share like option, at least not now. You can understand this if you read between the lines of this forum, too.
Back to the basic: eMule is about sharing, not downloading. eMule developers seem to really care about this.
Rules, laws, limits and (sometimes) unfeatures... usually they are set by humans to protect humans from humans. In this case a lot of us (or at least me) would like eMule to keep going on, but it will not if bad decisions are made.
Keep in mind other file sharing programs with different file sharing mechanisms and logics exist. (And I would like to read about eMule only in official eMule board).

Why does it confuse you? Just because I want to you to elaborate on your very vague point, doesn't mean I want to directly argue with it. The argument of powershare hinges on the spreading of unique chunks, and that is an argument I simply do not want to have, because I am sure some could gain an advantage when they do have all the chunks. The share only the need function hides chunks, for instance.
My point of view is simply that a powershare function could, and should, be used sparingly.

The major difference between the powershare function and the release function is the powershare function can't be used for incomplete file. I do not think you should release incomplete files, as the file may never complete. Another disadvantage of the priority system is that more requests usually lowers the files priority (e.g from auto [hi] to auto [no]) but it could be that requests are asking for unique chunks. Lowering the priority for many users who are asking for unique chunks has negative effect on the spreading of the file. Also, the priority system, specifically "the release" function, is normally controlled by the user. As the number of sources change all the time, it is much better that a powershare can have an "auto" feature. As an auto feature can't be controlled by the user, this also prevents abuse.

I may very well be beating a dead horse with the powershare function, but that doesn't mean I can't try and understand your point of view. I still don't understand it, and I don't see any relevance between your points and a powershare function. All you really implied it is a bad decision (no reason) and Emule is about sharing and not downloading (which I knew already.)

This post has been edited by inman: 01 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

#71 User is offline   Zimouille 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:36 PM

Pow pow pow...

I won't answer to a specific thread but for me:

eMule works.
I can download files with a speed of over 1Mo in some circumstances.

People that are on emule are just using it because they love it since a long time.

Outside problematics that all programs have I think that emule is the best alternative with his search engine.
If you know how to recognize the right files.

For french users looking for series and movies emule-island is of a great help.

- Easy to find, easy to download, no craps.

For me it's not primary to have a file in a few minutes. Maybe the day after.
For a rare file I can wait.

Should I change now? Sure not!

Longue vie a la mule! :-)
Cheers
Z

This post has been edited by Zimouille: 01 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

#72 User is offline   nemoW 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

This thread looks like dancing on eMule's grave. :D

#73 User is offline   sonoro 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:03 PM

I know not program, but had ideas that could revolutionize emule for your best time gold

abolishment ratio!

send complete file! 0% -> 100% done start - finish Most problems would be solved!

I will give as an example, the percentage of 0% if sending all the user when the client says zero parts of the file, has many sources each send your part to complete it 100%!
When complete the file enters another to his place again with the same process until you have the complete file.

No credit queue, but as user complete the file, back to another always with a faster turnover if all User is sending parts, all in complete faster!

They will tell me it is not possible to do?

I had once said that unwillingness to make much better emule!

I challenge David Xanatos or official support to the simple eMule client!!!!

I think all this can be done now to will happen and this far when this a bubble trapped in time!

Can be two client use the same network ed2k form to coexist with different, none is exploring!

eMule 50b old and new system!Let's think about it

Sorry but I do not speak the English language! I can explain better in Portuguese if necessary!

#74 User is offline   Direkitten 

• Pip

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

I've been using eMule for about 5 years and have carefully observed its operation. I think all the posts in this thread have shown a misunderstanding of the true cause of eMule's major download problem. It's not caused by the existence of the queue, and only in a minor way by the credit system. It's mainly caused by the developers' poor choice of the upload priority factors that are based on file rarity. According to eMule's support webpage the upload priority factors based on rarity are as follows:

Release: x1.8 [x5]
High: x0.9 [x2]
Normal: x0.7 [x1]
Low: x0.6 [x0.5]
Very Low: x0.2 [x0.2]

(The numbers in square brackets are for old versions of eMule, I think. The emule-project webpage could be clearer about the meaning of the square brackets.)

As you all know, widely sourced files' Auto priority is Low (even if some of the sources are incomplete) and rare files' Auto priority is High.

Note how narrow is the range of factors. In particular: THE .9 FACTOR FOR "HIGH" IS ONLY 1.5 TIMES THE .6 FACTOR FOR "LOW". This causes trouble for rare files in the typical case that the source sharing them is also sharing popular files.

Let's assume most eMule users leave their upload priorities at Auto, which ranges from High to Low. (It doesn't use Release or Very Low. However, the point I'm about to make is nearly as valid for the few users who optimally use Release and Very Low too, because the factor for Release is only 9 times the factor for Very Low. Although 9 is much better than 1.5, it's still inadequate, as the argument in the paragraphs that follow will show.)

Consider the effect on an eMule client that's sharing both "rare" files (where "rare" means no one else has it yet, and only one client--or a tiny number--is attempting to download it) and "new popular" files (for example, tonight's episode of Game of Thrones). For the rare files, the Auto upload priority will of course be High (and will stay High for a long time, possibly forever). For the new popular files, the Auto upload priority will begin at High, but will very quickly drop to Low as downloading clients receive parts and thus become additional sources of needed parts. (I've observed that the number of clients downloading a new popular file quickly grows to dozens or hundreds soon after it's released. They soon become sources for the parts they've downloaded, so for each of the downloading clients there will quickly be dozens or hundreds of sources that have needed parts, and its Upload Priority soon becomes Low for everyone... assuming Auto priority.)

For a client sharing rare and new popular files (not necessarily complete yet), the number of upload requests received for his/her parts of new popular files is typically MUCH greater than 1.5 times the number of requests received for his/her parts of rare files, which means eMule's "High = 1.5 x Low" causes a huge bias toward uploading new popular files and against uploading rare files, which greatly slows down the people trying to download rare files.

It would be easy to fix the upload priority formula in the next version of eMule. For instance, if you wanted to avoid a bias one way or the other, you could simply divide by the number of known sources of parts, instead of multiplying by the priority factor given in the upload priority table.

Files (or parts of files) that have only one source should be considered "endangered species" and eMule should automatically push them. So, rather than eliminating the bias for or against rare files (which I appeared to advocate in the previous paragraph) I actually favor changing eMule so it will be strongly biased toward pushing rare files. (Better yet, push rare parts, if the overhead to calculate this degree of precision wouldn't be significant.) HERE'S AN EASY WAY TO DO IT: If the eMule client believes it's the only source for at least one part of a requested file, that upload request should be given the best possible queue score so the request will soon be serviced, and one of those sole-sourced parts should be uploaded when the request is serviced.

The two simple changes described above might be enough to fix eMule. (Assuming enough users update to the newer version. Or to a mod that makes those changes, or some other changes that automatically push rare parts.)

Something else to consider are the reasons why many people stop sharing files "soon" after they finish downloading them. I can think of several reasons to stop sharing a file:
1. Fear of being hassled by anti-P2P police.
2. Evil selfishness. ("I've got mine; screw you!")
3. To speed up uploading of rarer files.
4. To speed up downloading.

The reasons are worth considering because eMule design decisions can exacerbate or mitigate #3 and #4. I've already described above how to greatly mitigate #3 by speeding up the uploading of rare files. So next I'll elaborate on #4:

Suppose a user X is downloading some file(s) D, and also sharing some complete files C. Due to eMule's credit system, clients with parts of D needed by X will upload them to X sooner if X has uploaded parts (typically parts of D) to them... the more parts that X sends to them, the quicker they will send other parts to X. To maximize the parts that X sends to them, user X can simply stop sharing C. This is because X's eMule will distribute its upload bandwidth not only to the clients who need X's parts of D, but also to clients who need X's parts of C and have no parts X needs. X will accumulate more credit with those who have needed parts of D if X stops sharing C (especially the popular files in C) than if X continues to share C. In other words, eMule's credit system creates an undesirable incentive to stop sharing files, especially popular files. (The credit system also creates desirable incentives to keep C large--to build up credit in general--but my point is that eMule should not create any undesirable incentives to keep C small.)

In my own practice, I tend to stop sharing a file when the following 3 conditions are all true:
1. The amount of the file I've already uploaded exceeds the size of the file. (This is a "nonleech" criterion.)
2. eMule shows the number of complete sources is still reasonably large (say 6 or more). (This is an "availability" criterion: other people should still be able to download it in a reasonable amount of time.)
3. The file isn't small. (Sharing small files doesn't consume much upload bandwidth.)

I also tend to set upload priorities to Release as soon as possible (which is after I've downloaded a part of the file), and I leave it at Release until it's complete and condition 1 is true. So, for example, a couple of hours after I finish downloading the latest episode of Game of Thrones, all 3 conditions will hold and I probably stop sharing it. This lets my eMule share rare files much better, and also benefits me a little by improving my credit accumulation for incomplete files I'm downloading.

As an alternative to unsharing, I sometimes set those files' upload priority to Very Low. But I presume that sharing a large number of popular files will interfere with uploading of rare files even if set to Very Low, so I don't use this alternative much. I don't share many large well-sourced complete files after condition 1 is met.

I think there's another possible change to eMule that would induce me (and hopefully many other people too) to share many more files. (And certainly it would make unnecessary my tedious manual practice described above.) For any file larger than, say, one part (9.28 MBytes), modify the upload score calculation so it also considers how much of the file the client has already been uploaded to everyone. To be specific: divide the upload score by the fraction of the file already uploaded (within the last 6 months, or however long eMule remembers such stats). For example, if client X is sharing a 200 MBytes file and clients have received 700 MBytes of that file from X (during the last 6 months), then X's eMule should divide the file's upload score by 3.5 so it will spend longer in the queue and thus consume less upload bandwidth relative to other shared files. Then the file will automatically interfere less with uploading of other files; this will reduce the incentive to stop sharing it. For another example, suppose client X is currently downloading a 200 MBytes file and has, thus far, uploaded only 9.28 MBytes of it to other clients. In this case, a client who is also downloading the file and is requesting part of it from X will be greatly boosted because X will divide the upload score by 9.28/200 (which is the same as multiplying by approximately 20). One more example, to avoid introducing a "divide by zero" bug: Suppose a client is requesting an upload from X of a file that X hasn't yet uploaded any parts; in this case, rather than dividing by zero, multiply by a large number.

I began this post by saying the upload queue and the credit systems are not serious problems. I'll elaborate here:

Regarding the claim that the upload queue causes problems... The reason I disagree is that my eMule is always uploading at about the maximum rate that I set in its Communications Options. It follows logically that eliminating its upload queue could not possibly increase the rate at which it uploads. Furthermore, in principle, the queue helps keep the upload rate at the maximum by providing eMule info about more requests, thus avoiding moments when there aren't enough known requests to saturate the upload maximum.

Anyone who says s/he is slowed down by having to wait in other eMule clients' upload queues is really saying those clients should serve him/her instead of the people they're currently serving. This is selfish and immature, like jumping any other kind of queue. The purpose of a queue is to equitably manage a scarce resource... in this case the source clients' scarce upload bandwidth. Eliminating the queue won't make the upload bandwidth less scarce.

The claim also seems self-contradictory, because the time that client X spends waiting in Z's queue should be balanced by the times when X is one of those being served by Z while Y is waiting in Z's queue. If the claim were true, then by symmetry Y should think Z should serve Y instead of X. X says Z should be serving X and Y says Z should be serving Y, using the identical argument. They can't both be right (since Z doesn't have enough upload bandwidth to serve both). So their argument must be wrong.

I haven't used a bittorrent client, but I suspect the quicker download speed claimed for bittorrent either has a serious penalty or can be explained by a greater number of sources, not because bittorrent has a technical advantage with no penalty. Some of the posts in this thread have claimed bittorrent is more popular than eMule because bittorrent downloads faster, but I suspect they have that backward... that bittorrent downloads faster because bittorrent is more popular. More sources for a file would produce faster downloading of the file.

The claim that bittorrent's greater popularity proves it's technically better is as ignorant as the claim that the popularity of the intel 8088 (in the IBM PC) proved it was technically better than the Motorola 68000 (in the Apple Macintosh) or that the popularity of VHS videotape recorders proved they were technically better than Sony Betamax.

Regarding the claim that the credit system is a serious problem... I would call it a minor problem, because its "punishment" factor is at most 10, which isn't large enough to be blamed for (large) rare files taking years to download. In my opinion, it's based on mistaken reasoning. I would say that anyone whose overall Cumulative UL:DL Ratio (which is listed in eMule's Statistics tab) is at least 1:1 should not be considered a leech. Of course, if eMule were to query another eMule client asking it to report its Cumulative UL:DL Ratio, there would be no way to be certain the response is honest, since an evil eMule mod could pretend to have a high ratio. Despite this lack of certainty regarding whether the response would be honest, I think eMule should have been designed to trust those responses rather than resort to a misleading "local" credit calculation. (The local calculation can't be faked since the source client X remembers how many bytes each requesting client uploaded from X and downloaded to X during the last 6 months). I'm assuming the number of people who would choose to use an evil mod that falsifies its Cumulative UL:DL Ratio will be relatively small. I think it's a reasonable assumption... most people would avoid using an evil mod due to their common decency, and of the minority who aren't as decent, many of them would be deterred by the risk that an evil mod will also contain malware. (Only a tiny minority would compile their own evil mod, agreed?) So, I hope new versions of eMule will be designed to respond to queries for the cumulative upload/download ratio (or will include the ratio in upload request packets, if that would be a better implementation) and I hope new versions of eMule will be designed not to "credit-punish" clients that report an overall cumulative ratio >= 1.

If you are the only source for some part of a file, then from the perspective of the P2P community it is an "endangered" part (and it endangers the entire file even if the rest of the file's parts are widely sourced) because you might stop sharing it at any moment. The P2P community should want your client to push such parts so those files will no longer be endangered, not punish clients trying to download them from you because you haven't downloaded much from them in the last 6 months.

Here's another (unrelated) request for the next eMule: When downloading a file, improve the detection of clients sending corrupt parts (or sub-parts). I've noticed the last few weeks that new releases of the latest episodes of Orphan Black are being attacked by one or more clients sending corrupt data, and my eMule 0.50a has been very poor at rejecting just the corruption. It throws out entire parts even though only fraction of the parts are corrupt, and downloads the same parts, including the non-corrupt portions, over and over again. This is "throwing out the baby with the bathwater." Here's my suggested solution: For each incomplete file, the client should keep track of where each portion came from, and it should store the portions instead of deleting them when a part fails the corruption test. As new portions are received, it should test combinations that collectively might make a complete part to see if any combination passes the corruption test. As soon as a combination passes, eMule can increment a goodness count for each source client that provided only good data, and a badness count for each source client that provided corrupt data. As an optimization, the order in which combinations are tested could depend on the goodness and badness counts, so that data from clients with a nonzero badness count will be tested last (which means it won't need to be tested once a good combination is available). Also, eMule could stop requesting from a client known to have sent corruption in multiple parts. If this scheme would have too much storage or cpu overhead, it could be triggered only for the (few) files for which a corrupt part has been detected. (Better late than never.)

Best wishes,
Direkitten

#75 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

I think all the posts in this thread have shown a misunderstanding of the true cause of eMule's major download problem. It's not caused by the existence of the queue, and only in a minor way by the credit system.

Fox88 stated several times that the effect of the CS is minor. I agree - there are many other factors - and one of them of course is file priority as I mentioned. What I don't understand is why the CS needed at all, if it has such a minor effect. In my opinion, the CS should be done away with altogether. Why persist with a system that is unfair to begin with? High IDs are usually rewarded more quickly than lowIDs. Those with better lines usually give more than they take, regardless. There are active forums/communities who release files with the help of a server, as well as there own line. Those who use these forums/communities reap the rewards, regardless. And so on and so on...

As for the queues, the credit system does not help (very much) to get up 1000+ queue lengths. If you're requesting a file from a given user, along with your credit score, you also have to hope for these changes:
1) Popularity (requests) of all shared files to the user decreases.
2) The amount of files shared from the given user decreases.
3) File completion rates increase (due to better cumulative upload speeds, more sources, less lowID users and/or less users with other connectivity limitations.)
4) Runtime of uploader decreases.
5) Runtime of you, as the downloader, increases.
6) File priority increases, powershare is turned on, or a friend slot is activated.
7) The degree of harshness for banning users increases.

It is A GROSS, GROSS simplification just to blame the CS and the queue system. How does the CS adjust for these variables I listed above? It does not, because credits are limited to 2 specific clients, and it ignores other global factors (which is why it does not work effectively.)

Credits are not global; they are exchanged between two specific clients. The credit system is used to reward users contributing to the network, i.e. uploading to other clients. The strict queue system in eMule is based on the waiting time a user has spent in the queue. The credit system provides a major modifier to this waiting time by taking the upload and download between the two clients into consideration. The more a user uploads to a client the faster he advances in this client's queue. The modifiers are calculated from the amount of transferred data between the two clients. The values used can be seen in the client's details dialog. To view this information, right-click on any user and choose View Details.

All Clients uploading to you are rewarded by the credit system. It does not matter if the client supports the credit system or not. Non-supporting clients will grant you no credits when you upload to them. Credits are stored in the clients.met file. The unique user hash is used to identify the client. Your own credits are saved by the client who owes you the credit. This prevents faking the credits. Your own credits cannot be displayed.

An exception to this rule applies only when a peer is assigned a "Friend Slot" after being added to the client's Friends list. This automatically assigns a reserved upload slot for that peer so that he/she can begin downloading regardless of the Credit rating. Only one Friend Slot can be reserved so as to prevent any form of abuse such as upload discrimination.[11]

Think about point 3) the file completion rate. A way to reduce the queues would be to assign a higher priority to files which are near completion. Obviously, queues are caused by partially complete downloads and the availability of those incomplete parts. Why do other P2P applications (Dc++ etc.) have shorter queues than Emule? Partly, because they finish files faster and don't have a massive backlog of incomplete files.

I haven't used a bittorrent client, but I suspect the quicker download speed claimed for bittorrent either has a serious penalty or can be explained by a greater number of sources, not because bittorrent has a technical advantage with no penalty. Some of the posts in this thread have claimed bittorrent is more popular than eMule because bittorrent downloads faster, but I suspect they have that backward... that bittorrent downloads faster because bittorrent is more popular. More sources for a file would produce faster downloading of the file.

Yes, large queues are also partly caused by the ratio to files shared to active users. Emule has more shared files to total active users than other P2P applications, meaning bandwidth is also spread more thinly across upload slots. For example, Torrent users are often only sharing a handful of files (with many more users), while Emule users share entire drives (with far fewer users).

For a client sharing rare and new popular files (not necessarily complete yet), the number of upload requests received for his/her parts of new popular files is typically MUCH greater than 1.5 times the number of requests received for his/her parts of rare files, which means eMule's "High = 1.5 x Low" causes a huge bias toward uploading new popular files and against uploading rare files, which greatly slows down the people trying to download rare files.

You have hit the nail on the head here.

If you are the only source for some part of a file, then from the perspective of the P2P community it is an "endangered" part (and it endangers the entire file even if the rest of the file's parts are widely sourced) because you might stop sharing it at any moment. The P2P community should want your client to push such parts so those files will no longer be endangered, not punish clients trying to download them from you because you haven't downloaded much from them in the last 6 months.

YEP. An automated powershare function, as I stated. But apparently (for whatever reason?) this would be harmful to Emule.

This post has been edited by inman: 21 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

#76 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostDirekitten, on 20 May 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

I think all the posts in this thread have shown a misunderstanding of the true cause of eMule's major download problem.

As usual, developers never know anything; thousands of forum members never have a bright idea too.
Hence, general misunderstanding.
You could try to read old discussions on the ever hot topics of CS, endgame, slot speeds and so on; there are many different opinions.

It would be easy to fix the upload priority formula in the next version of eMule. For instance, if you wanted to avoid a bias one way or the other, you could simply divide by the number of known sources of parts, instead of multiplying by the priority factor given in the upload priority table.

Too bad, eMule never could be sure about that number of known sources.
You even know why: information reported by other peers is unreliable.

Files (or parts of files) that have only one source should be considered "endangered species" and eMule should automatically push them.

There are also old versions, fakes and files with bad contents. Nobody needs those being pushed.

This post has been edited by fox88: 23 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

#77 User is offline   oldfart 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

Hi ya'll. Nice to see a discussion like this again.
But a lot of "misunderstanding" evident to these old eyes, lol.

Ok, so maybe I'm not active and current anymore, but it all still seems pretty simple.

Rare files are rare because there is hardly any one sharing them any more.
A files download speed is dependent on the amount of users sharing it and their available upload bandwidth.
This situation is worse for for low-id clients, and is exacerbated by ed2k's lack of users (roughly 1/4 million users now compared to approximately 15 1/4 million at ed2k's peak (client reported users)) and the fact that an inordinate amount of network users are now Low ID.
That's "the true cause of eMule's major download problem.".

Despite all the point's listed above, I fail to see how the Credit System has any real impact on this.
I see CS as nothing more than a weaker version of Overnet's Horde, and quite useful at times.
Like Horde, sometimes I turn it on but usually it's turned off.
I see no reason to dump it though.

And despite these problems, the ed2k (i.e., emule and mods) is still the best source of higher quality files and rare files.

Oh, and P.S.?
Please don't call BitTorrent a File Sharing Network, it's not. It's a File Transfer Protocol.
True, modern gui's like uTorrent give it the appearance of a network and DHT the trappings, but it's still just a file transfer protocol.

P.P.S. What I'd really like to see is a way to make low-id users a full part of the sharing process.
Not that I have any useful ideas on it. Oh well. :bounce:

#78 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:00 PM

Rare files are rare because there is hardly any one sharing them any more. A files download speed is dependent on the amount of users sharing it and their available upload bandwidth.

A simplification of the truth. Priority comes into it as well. Rare files often take a long time to download because the priority of the file often doesn't benefit the downloader enough. (Automatic) powershare functions should be a MUST.

If I see a file with one source, I rarely download it unless I REALLY want it and can't find it elsewhere. A file with 2 sources, I will usually go for if it's small. How can these "rare files" ever have a chance of spreading if people are put off downloading files with one source? Not only are they not given enough priority but the can sometimes never finish, leaving incomplete files on the network - wasting more users time & bandwidth. I see many incomplete files with many sources that will never complete because they likely weren't spread FAST enough.

Torrents spread files faster - meaning less HDD space wasted on incomplete downloads and less bandwidth wasted on incomplete files. It comes down to the argument about how useful partial downloads are for co-downloaders - and I have already given an example of where I have been effectively "cheated" out of a chunk due to exchanges of incomplete downloads not working efficiently.

Spreading rare files faster (with powershare) means better file completion rates. You could argue that this not mean better file completion rates in the long run, but when the file is done you have the option to unshare regardless. People are going to unshare or not, regardless of how long the file took, and rare files taking a long time just means more incomplete files and cancellations.

Despite all the point's listed above, I fail to see how the Credit System has any real impact on this.

That's the point of the CS though - it has no "real impact" and puts some at a disadvantageous. The CS does not have a bigger enough impact for lowIDs especially. The CS has a greater effect for high IDS because lowIDs generally have shorter queues and more available bandwidth & highIDs have more available users to build credits with.
On the other hand, a lowID can sit in a high ID's queue for hours or days and never get to the top. The queues are unfairly balanced to begin with, and so adding a credit system only really makes it worse for lowIDs. A first come, first served system would suit lowIDs better, as they wouldn't have to compete with high IDS building scores with more users. The high ID can at least get up someone's queue, as more users to connect to means more chance of the CS benefiting them.

I also believe a lot of the time, lowIDs upload speed is not maxed to the limit, as they can connect to far less users. So often have excess bandwidth to offer to those they can connect to. Often, a lowID user never stops transferring to me, until the file is complete.

#79 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

View Postinman, on 02 July 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

A simplification of the truth.

On the contrary: clear picture in just few words.

View Postinman, on 02 July 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Priority comes into it as well. Rare files often take a long time to download because the priority of the file often doesn't benefit the downloader enough. (Automatic) powershare functions should be a MUST.

So that every garbage with few sources must be powershared?
I wonder what for.

#80 User is offline   inman 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

So that every garbage with few sources must be powershared?
I wonder what for.

I don't see how your opinion of the quality of the file should be taken into consideration in the matter of whether to powershare or not. There are plenty of popular files that are absolute trash, reencoded and fake (but you know about that already, don't you?) :+1:

This post has been edited by inman: 02 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

• Member Options

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users