Official eMule-Board: Download Speed Fall To 0/os - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Download Speed Fall To 0/os

#1 User is offline   Zimouille 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

Hello Emule community,

I don't really pay attention to the speed but I noticed since a long time that almost all downloads, even if I have a few hundred sources and the download speed is about 2,3 500 Ko/s, when it arrives to the last 1Mo and seeders are leaving because parts are completed, when it remain just one, the download can stop for several minutes showing 0/os. When it restart it's maybe 1 or 200 o/s which takes sometime up to ~30 minutes to complete the download.
By stoping the download 30 seconds and restarting it ends within few seconds. Same if you close Emule for a while and reopen it.

Any reason behind this?

I don't think this is related to an emule setup or I'm wrong?

Thanks
Cheers
Z

#2 User is offline   coluche 

• hm ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hej,

This is normal, it is the result of the fast sources naturally finishing uploading their bits first, and the slowest source of course finishing last.
Since the slowest source kind of "reserved" the upload of that last remaining bit /your eMule tells other sources like "Thanks, but this (last) bit is already taken care of, kthxbye", the other, faster sources will not help with that last bit, but leave it to that slowest source.
When you pause and resume the download, that last bit is then again "free for anyone" and often then a faster source will be the first to upload it. But it also may be that the very slow source will be the first one to agree to upload.

Iirc this effect was already diminished, with the size of the part marked as "reserved" now being smaller (180kB ?) than in previous versions of eMule.

This post has been edited by coluche: 26 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a Wild Man, so bug off!

#3 User is offline   Zimouille 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

Merci Coluche but...

When you download torrents you don't have such problems they go to the end and they are finalized at the same speed (most of the time).

I should check but I think that if you stop the download and restart it after a while it's in most of the cases the same source who will complete the download but with a "normal" speed of 3-5 kb/s.

I don't know if it's something proper to emule due to the servers/kad setup but maybe some code/compression or cache setup is behind this. (?)

Honestly I'm not so much disturbed by this strange behavior but with what people are expecting today they may leave emule for another tool.

On the other hand I noticed that downloads are faster since a couple of months, probably due to the fact that more and more users have a fiber connection or upgraded their DSL contract.

In every case I'm happy with emule ;o)

Bonne soirée
Cheers
Z

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users