Official eMule-Board: Emule Site/mod, No Code Released - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Emule Site/mod, No Code Released GPL violation?

#1 User is offline   fabtar 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hi,
I have done, for fun, a google search about "emule". The third result is this site:
emule.com

The site advertizes a version 0.60 of emule with torrent support.
It doesn't look opensource or I haven't been able to find the sources in the site.

I have not installed their emule client but do you already know these guys? Is that emule version derived from emule source code?
Do you know if they have released the code?

I have pointed out this site so you can check (possible) GPL violation (Opensource licences are a complex topic so I have only a vague idea of "what is a violation").

Keep doing & keep sharing
Regards

This post has been edited by fabtar: 16 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

#2 User is offline   Zangune 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Please edit your post to avoid spreading bad links, use emule.com instead.
To me something have to be done against that.

#3 User is offline   fabtar 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

fixed

#4 User is offline   Zimouille 

• PipPip

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

No reply to this hot topic?!?

Did someone install this "mod" ? I didn't.

As far as I can remember emule was not supposed to support torrent files...

The only thing I can say is that the site have correct information's outside the fact that
emule 0.50a version is not mentionned on their website. Only emule 0.49b & c and emule plus (...)!

Here the domain registration: https://who.godaddy....prog_id=GoDaddy

Does someone know the reputation of the above hosting site even if this does not help for emule.com (registered in 1999) but maybe an indication if they are hosting other strange/bad sites?

To me it does not appear to be offical otherwise it would have been published on emule-project so question: Will official emule board take any action because I saw on the picture that there is a donate part and if they are not owner of the source code this is absolutely unacceptable!

This post has been edited by Zimouille: 19 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

#5 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

"Fake" versions of eMule are out there since well nearly a decade now. eMule.com was once an unrelated poetry site iirc and was bought out by someone to make money with the eMule name. So it's pretty safe to say that the one way or another they want to get your money, so it's probably not a good idea to use their software.

And no, we are not going to sue for GPL issues. The effort (money and time wise) is in no relation to the gain - and that's assuming we would win. Even then there are hundreds of other sites doing the same. And really after over 10 years, most loyal users know our website - it's place #1 in google too.

#6 User is offline   Zimouille 

• PipPip

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:38 PM

View PostSome Support, on 19 August 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

"Fake" versions of eMule are out there since well nearly a decade now. eMule.com was once an unrelated poetry site iirc and was bought out by someone to make money with the eMule name. So it's pretty safe to say that the one way or another they want to get your money, so it's probably not a good idea to use their software.

> I hope that emule community understand to not follow such kind of fakes. On this forum it's most probably the case but for the others :(

And no, we are not going to sue for GPL issues. The effort (money and time wise) is in no relation to the gain - and that's assuming we would win. Even then there are hundreds of other sites doing the same. And really after over 10 years, most loyal users know our website - it's place #1 in google too.

> Understand. Only emule-project can be trusted.
BTW I edited the post before looking at your reply so... you can forget the last sentance.

Cheers & merci.
Z

This post has been edited by Zimouille: 19 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users