Official eMule-Board: Release A 1.0 Version ! - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Release A 1.0 Version !

#1 User is offline   _ddv_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi all!

I've been using the edonkey network since the earliest versions of edonkey2000 then emule but I have a complain about your marketing strategy, even if it is not a commercial software:

I know some users already requested a new version but I really think, for marketing purposes, you should release a major version, that is, the 1.0 version.

Indeed, most non-geek users are very sensitive to version numbers (even if these are just this: version numbers!), and I think that most may be kept away from emule if they see a "0.50a" version.

Just see for example Firefox (which is for me an extreme example because there are too frequent new versions): for each major version, even if each version does not contain really major features, the media and users talk about this new version, and there is a mass downloading that takes place and new users may arrive because this is just ... new!

Now take emule: you had 0.49c (a beta :confused: ) , now 0.50a (still a beta :confused:, what's this software? I want a software that works ! <_< )

So, currently, you kept the developer/geek mentality that says: "hey, this software works, there is no new features, no bugs (then why beta version number ?), I will not change the version!" ==> JUST RELEASE THE FINAL SUPER-STABLE (which is the truth) MILLION USERS-APPROVED EMULE 1.0 !

In my opinion: after that, release the 1.X with only Kad, no servers (who care about servers nowadays?)

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards.

#2 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

It is true that our version system isn't quite compatible with the standard. Basically we stepped ahead too slowly and missed the point when to switch to a x.y (with x > 0) version about 8 years ago. But what is done is done and changing it now would just feel wrong as there is no rational reason for a huge version jump at this point. And we don't need to do stuff for marketing reasons, we sell nothing :)

#3 User is offline   UserEmule 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

View Post_ddv_, on 10 February 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

In my opinion: after that, release the 1.X with only Kad, no servers (who care about servers nowadays?)
Just my 2 cents.
Best regards.

Why I can certainly like the idea that no servers = totally decentralized, i have needed some sources from a server that wasn't in kad. Also Shearaza and a few other p2p programs connect to ed2k so there is more files there avalable as than kad as they are coming from diff networks. Removing the servers would cause users to go back to old versions as I obtain many rare files where sources are scarce and may only be on ed2k sometimes. (450files dl, 32 ed2k only )

#4 User is offline   _ddv_ 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostUserEmule, on 16 February 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Post_ddv_, on 10 February 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Just my 2 cents.
Best regards.

Why I can certainly like the idea that no servers = totally decentralized, i have needed some sources from a server that wasn't in kad. Also Shearaza and a few other p2p programs connect to ed2k so there is more files there avalable as than kad as they are coming from diff networks. Removing the servers would cause users to go back to old versions as I obtain many rare files where sources are scarce and may only be on ed2k sometimes. (450files dl, 32 ed2k only )

The problem is that big brother is watching servers and I remember the old sad days when in Switzerland the authorities decided to make some edonkey servers to stop.
And by the way, I have been running with Kad without any server for several years while downloading rare files and I was able to find sources for them.

One day, I'll retest with servers to see if there are some difference but I think we are at a time were every p2p network should work without servers (and by the way, there are some news about a decentralized torrent network).

#5 User is offline   RejZoR 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

I haven't been using eMule much but when i was, i was using KAD only and it worked pretty well. I never liked the idea of servers. Either because of monitoring or because of fake servers that just wasted your time by looking pretty on paper but useless in real world.

I just wish there were more improvements to the eMule and KAD. And more often. Forcing users to update would be a good idea to begin with, this way you can make sure everyone use the latest version and they'd also have the latest features. This way you can improve things faster. But now you have to run ancient legacy crap just because loads of ppl still run old and in my eyes outdated clients. That's why eMule is basically stagnating for ages. Refreshing the system at least a bit could greatly improve its efficiency and thus probably speed as well. But now as soon as you mention eMule to anyone, they say "too slow" even before you say it fully... which is a shame really as it's a very good app.
"Something that looks pretty much like a banana but tastes like a peace of pork, though it is a product from a bird!"
Stulle @ Dec 7 2005, 06:16 PM

#6 User is offline   DJ_MELERIX 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

+1

is time to say bye bye to the servers, and only use KAD for a real P2P Network ;)

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users