Official eMule-Board: Let People Choose How Many Slots They Want To Open - Official eMule-Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Let People Choose How Many Slots They Want To Open Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Let People Choose How Many Slots They Want To Open (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Slot Limit Option in eMule?

1. Yes (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. No (10 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

@0x00,
Have you tried mods with slotfocus feature ?

#42 User is offline   0x00 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

@omeringen, no, I'm using a vanilla eMule.

Can you provide me with the links? :)

I did some thinking, and a 10MB emule chunk is good only for 5 seconds of upload at 2MB/s. Downloading is different, since you have a writeback cache, which gives you a performance boots. Something similar is not possible with uploading.

More than the actual number of slots, I think a better caching by eMule is needed. Windows caching is good, but the SW itself knows best, what it will use. The number of slots could also increase, if you get a lot of slower connections.

The number of slots is best intelligently managed within a range, specified by a user (you set min&max, the algorithm pick the current optimal setting). The point is that instead of dividing your 2MB/s to 40 people who can all take all 400KB/s each, it would be better to do a "round-robin" with 5 of them downloading at once.

This post has been edited by : 03 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

#43 User is offline   coluche 

• hm ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

View Post0x00, on 03 June 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

More than the actual number of slots, I think a better caching by eMule is needed. Windows caching is good, but the SW itself knows best, what it will use. The number of slots could also increase, if you get a lot of slower connections.

A problem is eMule would usually not know what to cache.
- Who will be next to upload to
- what chunk(s) will they want from the file they are waiting for. (their decision)

The number of slots is best intelligently managed within a range, specified by a user (you set min&max, the algorithm pick the current optimal setting). The point is that instead of dividing your 2MB/s to 40 people who can all take all 400KB/s each, it would be better to do a "round-robin" with 5 of them downloading at once.

Slotfocus will not let you define a range of slots, instead it tries to minimize # of slots by sending at highest possible speed to slot #1, then the same for slot#2, etc. until all bandwidth is used.
You will also have some "trickle slots" (~150 B/s) as a like reserve in slots, to fast compensate if fully served slots can not take as fast as expected.

I don't know if this is the case in Mods, but for these trickle slots, there caching could be effective, I think.
Maybe look for/ ask for a Mod that pre-loads full chunks into cache for trickle slots (if this exists) ?
Opinions ?

When it works well, I for example have 4 slots + 2 trickle slots @ 80 kB/s.
sometimes less, sometimes more.

The feature is explained fully here (old topic)
---------------------

Sorry, I am not up-to-date with Mods, myself I use a simple Mod from Emule 0.49c version. Which I probably would not want to do on an connection as broad as yours.
Sadly, there is no newer version of Zzul-Mod, which to me is/was the kind of "cleanest" or "most simple" Mod, so easiest to learn to use.

There are so many, many Mods with slotfocus, but usually they all come with many more features, too.
best wait for so. else to recommend this one or that one ...

This post has been edited by coluche: 04 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a Wild Man, so bug off!

#44 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

View Post0x00, on 04 June 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

@omeringen, no, I'm using a vanilla eMule.

(. . .)

Check eMule Mods section.
There aren't that much mods based on latest official eMule. As far as i see there is MorphXT / StulleMule / Kmule / NetF WARP available.

This post has been edited by omeringen: 07 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

#45 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Post0x00, on 03 June 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

I didn't expect such a hostile attitude.

Why it ccould not be expected that people with 'solutions' should know the subject?

#46 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

View Postcoluche, on 04 June 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Slotfocus will not let you define a range of slots, instead it tries to minimize # of slots by sending at highest possible speed to slot #1, then the same for slot#2, etc. until all bandwidth is used.

With my current shared files set, I can have 30+ slots, and still would not fill 1MB/s upload.

I don't know if this is the case in Mods, but for these trickle slots, there caching could be effective, I think.

With 150B/s a single block from disk read can give data for several seconds of upload.

Maybe look for/ ask for a Mod that pre-loads full chunks into cache for trickle slots (if this exists) ?
Opinions ?

Full 180KB pieces at a time could be used. Reading ahead whole 9MB is a doubtful idea.

#47 User is offline   coluche 

• hm ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:32 AM

View Postfox88, on 05 June 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Full 180KB pieces at a time could be used. Reading ahead whole 9MB is a doubtful idea.

But trickle slots will become fullspeed-slots, so eMule could/should know that it will need that whole chunk soon ?

With my current shared files set, I can have 30+ slots, and still would not fill 1MB/s upload.

What is your conclusion from that ?

That eMule just can not be used on very broad connections without limiting number of slots, even though that will mean often not using full bandwidth ?
respectively setting an UL limit way below capacity?
It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a Wild Man, so bug off!

#48 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

View Postcoluche, on 06 June 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

eMule could/should know that it will need that whole chunk soon ?

No, it cannot. You should not mix up 9MB chunk and 9MB upload limit.
It was explained in one of the 'endgame' topics, that eMule requests 3 180KB pieces at a time. Other peers may contribute to the same 9MB chunk or may not. You cannot know what pieces will be requested next time.

View Postcoluche, on 06 June 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

What is your conclusion from that ?

Obvious conclusion: there is no single magic number for every connection and every computer.
If someone is interested, today I saw 41 uploads slots could not use 1MB bandwidth. Will slotfocus help? :P

This post has been edited by fox88: 06 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

#49 User is offline   0x00 

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Just the other day, I had 76 uploads, of mostly different files - on 2200KB/s upload. I have unshared the video library to make the computer usable again :unsure:

#50 User is offline   omeringen 

• löl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Haven't you checked slotfocus mods yet ?

#51 User is offline   Link64 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postomeringen, on 18 June 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Haven't you checked slotfocus mods yet ?

That, or maybe fix that:

View Post0x00, on 03 June 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I'm just saying that the default emule settings are no good for today's fiber connections. Yes, I do have a SSD, but I have Windows 8 on it, which I don't like. So I'm still running Windows 7 off a HDD...

I mean, he complains about performance while he seems to have an unused SSD in his computer. Move Win7 to the SSD and eMule will have the HDD for it's up- and downloads. Problem fixed (probably).

This post has been edited by Link64: 18 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

So poste ich richtig! (besonders Punkt 2 beachten)
Für alle, die was heruntergeladen haben und nicht wissen was sie damit anfangen sollen: endun.gen.

BOINC ...and you can always say you're working on a science project.

#52 User is offline   panos 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Change ? Of course not. Everything works perfectly here. Never change horses in mid stream. Always keep with the winner: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qABA0X6IzxU

#53 User is offline   jannelx 

• Pip

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

That would be nice addition

• Member Options

• (3 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users