Official eMule-Board: Torrent Support - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Torrent Support Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bensam123 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

I have been a user of eMule for years and have really enjoyed it. Overall the client is amazing and it's always been a joy to work with. Over the last few years the ed2k network has sorta died out. While KAD still works, people in general aren't really using it anymore. It has overall shifted to bit-torrent and the development of eMule has all but stagnated.

I would really like to keep using the client in the future and it's a shame to just leave it because people are shifting to other networks. I honestly don't even know if development of eMule still continues or if any of the developers visit these forums anymore, but I think it would be great if a torrent client could be integrated into eMule. I know talks of this have generally been blasphemy in the past, but things have changed.

Adding a bit to this, it would be great if eMule could translate torrent files into edonkey/Kad hash types and use both networks. This would increase the amount of users that use eMule and the other networks as a result (people would be more drawn to the client). Honestly I would really like to keep using the client regardless of this though.

This post has been edited by Bensam123: 04 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

#2 User is offline   Eulero 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=71770

Support for [any P2P-Network] - there will be no support for additional networks. We will concentrate our work to improve the Ed2K and Kad protocol. Also more networks means more overhead.

#3 User is offline   Bensam123 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I know talks of this have generally been blasphemy in the past, but things have changed.

That post was made in 2003. It's safe to say a lot has changed in the p2p landscape in the last 8 years.

#4 User is offline   Eulero 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

that post was edited in 2010.

#5 User is offline   Bensam123 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

What was changed was not noted. It could've been a spelling edit. That is completely beside the point though.

I believe that the idea of adding torrent support to eMule should be reassessed and take into account all that has changed over the years and the current state of KAD and ed2k networks in relation to p2p as a whole.

#6 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostBensam123, on 04 November 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

What was changed was not noted. It could've been a spelling edit.

That post was from a sticky with the title - Frequently Asked Features. Read this before posting a new request.

:D

#7 User is offline   Bensam123 

• Pip

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

I read the post...

#8 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

@Bensam123

I guess you wil ahve to wait for a novel client that supports ed2kMule and Torrent at once.

David X.
NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,
as well as many other new features.
It is written in C++ with Qt and is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

#9 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

David, no offense intended but if exhuming long forgotten threads and hinting on your new project is your idea of advertisement I would prefer you to just be open about your intentions and create an according thread. Chances are this particular user will not read your reply. Just check when he was active for the last time.

This post has been edited by Stulle: 16 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

I am an emule-web.de member and fan!

[Imagine there was a sarcasm meter right here!]

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

#10 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Well there are such novel clients already available like Shareaza, though tha lack a few features like KAD.

David X.

This post has been edited by DavidXanatos: 20 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

NeoLoader is a new file sharing client, supporting ed2k/eMule, Bittorent and one click hosters,
it is the first client to be able to download form multiple networks the same file.
NL provides the first fully decentralized scalable torrent and DDL keyword search,
it implements an own novel anonymous file sharing network, providing anonymity and deniability to its users,

#11 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, still marketing crap. This ain't the place for that. Especially not while pretending to reply to somebody who doesn't even care anymore and could have known better if he had bothered reading the FAF thread.

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

#12 User is offline   Bensam123 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

I check the forums on occasion. I've used ed2k for years like I've said and I've been a member of this forum for years, that's why I asked for this change in the first place. Yes, I read the thread already, I already stated that. I know when something is dying when I see it. ed2k is an amazing and intuitive client, I would really rather use it then Azureus even including being able to change to the classic UI.

#13 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

@Bensam123
So you wouldn't want a new ed2k client that can torrents to?

#14 User is offline   DavidXanatos 

• Neo Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

View Postzhuzhuxiao, on 20 February 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I believe that the idea of adding torrent support to eMule should be reassessed and take into account all that has changed over the years and the current state of KAD and ed2k networks in relation to p2p as a whole.

I believe not, eMule is as of now the only major Ed2k client, those it has a responsibility to be the best ed2k client it can be.
Adding additional networks will not further this goal, it might even hurt it.

All multi network clients to date are not superior in supporting any of the networks they support.

The only thing that changed since 2004 is that the typical Asymmetric Internet connection has twice the Speed on the Upload channel as it head on the Download channel back then.
There is a big change coming the Move to IPv6 but this is still some time ahead.

So the right way to go would be to create eider a fork or a independent client for ed2k and Bt alike, only after it proves its superiority it could release emule form its responsibilities as the keeper of the ed2k network.
Those it would have to be the first multi network client that provides a superb support of all networks it has implemented what is quite a demanding task to achieve.

David X.

This post has been edited by DavidXanatos: 20 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

#15 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

And here we go again with the self-marketing. This is getting ridiculous! Don't misuse this board to boost a demand for the product you have not even finished to produce.

I really appreciate your thrive to create something new but you seriously need to cut out the marketing on this board. Everyone welcomes a bit of diversity and will gladly use the software which suites his needs best. This forum, however, is for eMule and its mods. Anything else belongs to the offtopic section at best, if not somewhere else entirely.

Again, no offense intended but please refrain from misusing this board for marketing purposes or getting some user backing while getting their hopes up for something that is apparently not ready for use, yet.

This post has been edited by Stulle: 20 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users