Official eMule-Board: Gather All Good Code? - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Gather All Good Code?

#1 User is offline   pier4r 

• Ex falso quodlibet ; Kad is the major concept behind emule.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Do a place that gather all good code exists? For good i mean code of features like ICS, intelliflush, etc... or , at least, legal features.

Ok, there are sources, but i don't know any web site that gather all legal mod sources, the best is emulebase.de that, anyway, doesn't have of a lot of mods. Moreover a modder can't analyze all sources of current mods and previous mods (because also previous mods have good ideas, i found for example a comment of Wizard in CA that refers to an old feature of Slugfiller), because the sources aren't small and the time is bounded. So a place that gather code with some comments, like "this is ICS idea and this is the code to apply" should be good (in a wiki like manner). I know that there is also a forum section "development and code snippets" but there the contributions are scattered.

If it doesn't exist, there is a place that gather an exaustive collection of mods sources from a certain version of emule (i.e: from version 0.30 of emule) ?

Thanks a lot.

This post has been edited by pier4r: 09 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

>>>Feature Request (ICS) or SOTN, EmuleCollectionV2 >>> Emule on old hardware (intel pentium 2 or 3 - via c3 - and so on) with good OS settings and enough ram (256+ mb): great >>>user of: eMule - Xtreme - ZZUL bastard - SharX - SharkX 1.8b5 pierQR - ZZUL-Tra - ZZUL-Tra-TL - kMule - Beba

Extended signature: click.

#2 User is offline   morph4u 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

hi pier4u,

maybe this can help you http://wiki.emule-we...tegory:Features :flowers:

#3 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

View Postmorph4u, on 08 June 2011 - 11:01 PM, said:

hi pier4u,

maybe this can help you http://wiki.emule-we...tegory:Features :flowers:

yes, exatly this template, but the features in the wiki aren't described in detail (or by code).

edit: anyway if there is a link, in the wiki page of a feature, to at least one implementation, so it is good (if the linked sources are available). Then +1 to gather all the code links on the wiki!

This post has been edited by pier4r: 08 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

>>>Feature Request (ICS) or SOTN, EmuleCollectionV2 >>> Emule on old hardware (intel pentium 2 or 3 - via c3 - and so on) with good OS settings and enough ram (256+ mb): great >>>user of: eMule - Xtreme - ZZUL bastard - SharX - SharkX 1.8b5 pierQR - ZZUL-Tra - ZZUL-Tra-TL - kMule - Beba

#4 User is offline   SS1900 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Donkey_software

HTH :flowers:

#5 User is offline   tHeWiZaRdOfDoS 

• Man, what a bunch of jokers...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

There is no such thing as a code repository. You may find a lot of mods on some hosting sites, SourceForge, emulebase, etc.
The problem with posting code snippets or tutorials is that they get outdated very fast once a new version is released or if you already built in other features - usually you can C&P a lot (as you can see in a lot of mods) but once it gets to the core and features are enhancing/conflicting each other, you need coding knowledge to apply another feature.

BTW: I guess you're referring to the no needed requeue - the reason I posted the comment there is that I saw that snippet in other mods (Xtreme IIRC) without credits - just wanted to make sure ppl remember the great SlugFiller.

#6 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

[quote name='tHeWiZaRdOfDoS' date='09 June 2011 - 08:47 AM' timestamp='1307602074' post='1064156']
There is no such thing as a code repository. You may find a lot of mods on some hosting sites, SourceForge, emulebase, etc.
The problem with posting code snippets or tutorials is that they get outdated very fast once a new version is released
[quote]

Wait, i don't talk about an entire mod code, but i talk about single features. AFAIK features don't change so fast so it is possible to gather them in a sort of code repository (with introductive comments, such as a wiki page). :flowers:

Or, at least, a web space that gather the sources of all (legal) mods since emule 0.X (e.g: emule 0.30) plus a little reference on emule wiki, that said "the X feature is implemented in : {list of mods that each modder should update } "

BTW: I guess you're referring to the no needed requeue - the reason I posted the comment there is that I saw that snippet in other mods (Xtreme IIRC) without credits - just wanted to make sure ppl remember the great SlugFiller.

Exactly.

@SS1900: is not the same thing! It's better the page linked by morph4u (anyway thanks)

This post has been edited by pier4r: 09 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

#7 User is offline   tHeWiZaRdOfDoS 

• Man, what a bunch of jokers...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

View Postpier4r, on 09 June 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Wait, i don't talk about an entire mod code, but i talk about single features. AFAIK features don't change so fast so it is possible to gather them in a sort of code repository (with introductive comments, such as a wiki page). :flowers:

Well, trust me: most advanced features need a redesign with nearly every new release and sometimes a major overhaul (take the max. size change for example!) - plain codes aren't as useful as you may think right now.

Or, at least, a web space that gather the sources of all (legal) mods since emule 0.X (e.g: emule 0.30) plus a little reference on emule wiki, that said "the X feature is implemented in : {list of mods that each modder should update } "

See the sites I mentioned above.

#8 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

View PosttHeWiZaRdOfDoS, on 09 June 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well, trust me: most advanced features need a redesign with nearly every new release and sometimes a major overhaul (take the max. size change for example!) - plain codes aren't as useful as you may think right now.

Ah, so ok, thanks (even if i didn't see these changes in a not-so-few features, when i did (few) differences between two consecutive versions of same mod).

This post has been edited by pier4r: 09 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

#9 User is offline   Stulle 

• [Enter Mod] Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

It comes down to what you are looking at. If you are looking no further than "Show sources on title", you are right, next to no change their in what seems like forever. If you check out some of the advanced stuff like SafeHash, ShareSubdirs, ImportParts or something that looks as trivial as my Design Settings, you will find out that huge changes have been made in the last few versions.

Also, a lot of code hacks other code so depending on the combination of present code there might be huge portions that have to be remodeled if you try to add it to another project.

I usually try approaches where I don't have to make large code changes to ease merging for myself. Still, some code just requires those changes, especially if it gets down to core functions. So Wiz is absolutely right.
I am an emule-web.de member and fan!

[Imagine there was a sarcasm meter right here!]

No, there will not be a new version of my mods. No, I do not want your PM. No, I am certain, use the board and quit sending PMs. No, I am not kidding, there will not be a new version of my mods just because of YOU asking for it!

#10 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

View PostStulle, on 09 June 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

If you check out some of the advanced stuff like SafeHash, ShareSubdirs, ImportParts or something that looks as trivial as my Design Settings, you will find out that huge changes have been made in the last few versions.

Also, a lot of code hacks other code so depending on the combination of present code there might be huge portions that have to be remodeled if you try to add it to another project.

I usually try approaches where I don't have to make large code changes to ease merging for myself. Still, some code just requires those changes, especially if it gets down to core functions. So Wiz is absolutely right.

Yep, sounds reasonable.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users