1. How often does someone change the search method? Long time ago i set it to Kad Network and never changed it. If we don't change it often than this drop down belongs in Options.
2. How many of us do use extended filters and how often? I use them every now and then, so i would not mind not seeing them all the time.
3. What does "More" button do? I don't recall ever using it?
4. Do we really need two button to start a search and to stop it?
5. How can more vertical space be saved in order to provide more space for results? After some thinking about i found a way to save 150 pixels to allow extra 9 search results to be displayed - on a screen with 1280x1024 resolution that means an increase by 25% (from 40 to 49).
Let me show i did it:
I got 65 pixels by completely removing status bar, moving download button to the top and removing weird looking fat bar under the search results (area 2).
Currently the only important information displayed in the status bar is the little globe with two arrows. Those arrows allow me to see how well i am connected. If i could i would move that dynamic image to the top of the screen and replace with it the "Connected" icon on the main tool bar.
And i got other 85 pixels by simplifying search interface (area 1) and making it 1 raw high. I moved the fine-tuning filter to the left - this "frame" displayed when you press button.
Filetype dropdown can be combined with the search bar itself. You can even sort document types in that list by how often one is being used. Selecting a document type puts teh type icon and the type name (grayed out cursive) in the search box.
CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST
This post has been edited by starko: 01 May 2011 - 04:48 PM