Official eMule-Board: New Emulecollection Package - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

New Emulecollection Package like torrents Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pier4r 

• Ex falso quodlibet ; Kad is the major concept behind emule.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

first: i did a search but i found nothing, if this topic has been already discussed, please leave the hyperlink to it.

I don't like torrent for several reasons (but it wins for popular contents, because it focus the bandwidth only on few files, if i understood correctly), but the torrent package is better than emulecollection (imo).

For example i take a discography. On emule there are 2 options: do an archive or do an emulecolletion.

Major Drawbacks:
- with an archive i must download a lot of bytes for few songs (useless overhead?)
- with an emulecollection a releaser must publish the emulecollection file
AND all other files, with a consistent load on kad (i don't mind of the servers)

with a new emulecollection package like torrent, a releaser can share an entire directory with a single ed2k link, and a downloader can select which files emule must download. I know that, in this manner, many clients can share an incomplete file (if we consider the whole package), but imo there are more advantages than drawbacks.

This post has been edited by pier4r: 12 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

>>>Feature Request (ICS) or SOTN, EmuleCollectionV2 >>> Emule on old hardware (intel pentium 2 or 3 - via c3 - and so on) with good OS settings and enough ram (256+ mb): great >>>user of: eMule - Xtreme - ZZUL bastard - SharX - SharkX 1.8b5 pierQR - ZZUL-Tra - ZZUL-Tra-TL - kMule - Beba

Extended signature: click.

#2 User is offline   coluche 

• hm ?
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

View Postpier4r, on 12 January 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

Major Drawbacks:
- with an archive I must download a lot of bytes for few songs (useless overhead?)

This to me seems from downloaders perspective only.

From releasers/ uploaders perspective this can be seen as an advantage : more people (=sources) on the same file.
The all-in-one file this way being multi-chunk, downloaders are forced to be a (partfile-)source for more time as if downloading a single small(er) file.

- with an emulecollection a releaser must publish the emulecollection file

emulecollections are somewhat annoying from downloaders perspective, as it usually results in having to do two searches - first a search for emulecollection, if nothing there then a search for archive/audio/video - whatever you are looking for.
I can't really combine the search for emulecollections with search for archives, videos, CD-images, (search for "any") because I want to use min.filesize for those searches. :|

AND all other files, with a consistent load on kad (i don't mind of the servers)

This I think is where the suggestion dies - with the limited amount of files (per node) that can be published in Kad.

Atm. I am sharing 550 files.
Would every single file within archives count as single file*, it would be - don't know - 4000 files ? :shock:

* meaning would I share (unzipped) folders instead of archives.

This post has been edited by coluche: 12 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he's a Wild Man, so bug off!

#3 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

View Postcoluche, on 12 January 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

This to me seems from downloaders perspective only.

From releasers/ uploaders perspective this can be seen as an advantage : more people (=sources) on the same f
ile.
The all-in-one file this way being multi-chunk, downloaders are forced to be a (partfile-)source for more time as if downloading a single small(er) file.

sadly p2p file sharing works as market, if a lot of people needs only 3 file on 300, the complete discoghrapy will starve with only 20 sources (that aren't bad).

AND all other files, with a consistent load on kad (i don't mind o
f the servers)

This I think is where the suggestion dies - with the limited amount of files (per node) that can be published in Kad.

no, i explained myself badly. CURRENTLY you share an emulecollection AND the files in emulecollection. With torrent- like package you will share only the collection file. It means lesser load on kad

This post has been edited by pier4r: 12 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

>>>Feature Request (ICS) or SOTN, EmuleCollectionV2 >>> Emule on old hardware (intel pentium 2 or 3 - via c3 - and so on) with good OS settings and enough ram (256+ mb): great >>>user of: eMule - Xtreme - ZZUL bastard - SharX - SharkX 1.8b5 pierQR - ZZUL-Tra - ZZUL-Tra-TL - kMule - Beba

#4 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

make available files of the collection only if they are requested?
INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#5 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

View Postxilolee, on 12 January 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

make available files of the collection only if they are requested?

no, isn't like this.

Ok, so i will write a brief technical explanation (on very high level or pseudocode).

Explanation start---
Emule knows a set of files, called shared files.
Now, an user can select a subset of these ones and can choose between 2 options: make an emulecollection package (that is the new package) OR make an emulecollection package and publish only the emulecollection package (EP from now).
Let us suppose that the user chooses the second option.
The EP contains all ed2k links of files and emule client does an assumption: clients that own own the EP file then own the files contained in it.
Then when the client downloads the EP and selects some files of the package (suppose A,B,C), emule start a kad search for the EP (as a normal file) and each client that own the EP file will be used as source for A,B,C.
Thus if a source doesn't have the requested file, np, it will be treated as Non useful part source; otherwise the client joins the queue of the source (as a normal file).
So only one file will be published (the EP file) but it works as a sources link for the files in the EP file.

So, if we recall the discography example, 300+ clients will download only 4 files, but 20 clients will share the entire discography. Advantages: flexibility, less load on kad (no redundace, only an EP shared, not singles mp3 and discography together) and, for sure, at least 4 file will be dowloaded quickly!

This post has been edited by pier4r: 13 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

#6 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Is it:

1) Files of the collection are not shared
2) Only the collection is shared
3) Who has got the collection is the source for the files in the collection

???

What's the difference with my previous question? :)

This post has been edited by xilolee: 13 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Immagine Postata

#7 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

View Postxilolee, on 13 January 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

It is:

1) Files of the collection are not shared
2) Only the collection is shared
3) Who has got the collection is the source for
the files in the collection

???

What's the difference with my previous question? :)

except for shared (i meant published) there is no difference. I'm sorry, i obviously misunderstood your post.

This post has been edited by pier4r: 13 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

#8 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Is it possible to upload collection files without publish them?
And verify that they aren't fakes?

:confused:

#9 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

View Postxilolee, on 13 January 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

Is it possible to upload collection files without publish them?
And verify that they aren't fakes?

:confused:

Sorry for looong dalay (and i thank this forum that saved my idea, my brain lost it about a month ago xD )

Yes, it is possible to upload files in a collection but only via ed2k direct link or EP file.
To verify that these ones aren't fakes, there are normal methods (preview, names, etc..).

#10 User is offline   pier4r 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Ok some fast diagrams:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users