• (2 Pages)
  • +

Is Verycd Easymule Official Emule?

#21 User is offline   tomchen1989 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

View Postmicwang010, on 19 August 2010 - 10:11 PM, said:

Sorry I was wrong. My friends told me that easymule is a new version of emule, the old version can be downloaded on emule.org.cn. Recently I've read news from chinese media saying that emule was about to get chinese business license, but it was still being sued by some chinese copyright holders..

Maybe Verycd is a liar, but I found easymule can access much more files than official emule. I don't know if it can be a reason easymule is better than official emule?
It is VeryCD company who is about to get chinese business license but still being sued by a few chinese copyright holders. Not eMule (Chinese: 电骡) or eDonkey (Chinese: 电驴).

Maybe you mean official eMule doesn't have a indexing site but VeryCD has a large one for the build-in browser of easyMule to access. Actually easyMule can search MUCH LESS files than official eMule. easyMule's users can't search via eDonkey servers or Kad network, it is only allowed to search from the links indexed by verycd.com. The files VeryCD site indexed are just a very small part of files in eDonkey network. eMule can search the whole files in eDonkey network although it doesn't have a indexing site.

plz read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeryCD
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeryCD

This post has been edited by tomchen1989: 20 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

#22 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

View PostLorenzoC, on 19 August 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

[...] but it was still being sued by some chinese copyright holders..[...]
Sounds like a nonsense. Besides the fact that "chinese copyright" sounds a bit like a joke, see above about GPL.

Actually i'm pretty sure it is true, i read about it somewhere before. They don't get sued for their involvement into a eMule mod however, but for their websites which index and promote movies and stuff.

Edit: ah, didnt saw the last post :)

#23 User is offline   tomchen1989 

• PipPip

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

Sorry, emule official does have a indexing site: http://contentdb.emule-project.net/, but it is strictly legel, the "legal" here means no copyright infringement. VeryCD's indexing site and easyMule (which can only search VeryCD's site) is also "legel", the "legal" here means no offence to Chinese gov. Gov don't care too much about copyright infringement, because there're not so many china-based files among which VeryCD indexed. But there are still some Chinese copyright holders involving. Some super one sued VeryCD, but VeryCD is also a super one, they always came to an agreement finally.

For the censorship and copyright issue, Chinese users tend to support VeryCD. But most of the users don't know VeryCD is not official "dianlv" or eDonkey or eMule. Some users don't even know VeryCD is a commercial company. However, there are still some "real eMule user" site or blog, like: emulefans.com (a blog to discuss usage of emule, no copyright-infringing content), ied2k and chnp2p (indexing site and emule discussing forum). I can say most of users or readers of these sites dislike VeryCD and other leechers or GPL-Breakers.

This post has been edited by tomchen1989: 20 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

#24 User is offline   panos 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

View PosttHeWiZaRdOfDoS, on 15 August 2010 - 08:03 AM, said:

easyMule is also violating the GPL license under which eMule is released.

Why ? They are publishing their sources and are displaying the license terms as well. I don't see any violation there.

#25 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

View Postpanos, on 21 August 2010 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PosttHeWiZaRdOfDoS, on 15 August 2010 - 08:03 AM, said:

easyMule is also violating the GPL license under which eMule is released.

Why ? They are publishing their sources and are displaying the license terms as well. I don't see any violation there.

easyMule version 1 is eMule-based and opensourced. Since v2.0, easyMule has closed its source. VeryCD company's developer claimed that easyMule 2.0 is written from scratch by them own. On 1 July 2009, an aMule developer wrote a topic on VeryCD's group, claiming that easyMule is build over code of aMule which is a GPLed eD2k client, and asking for the code. But this was said to be "purely irresponsible nonsense" and refused by VeryCD's owner Huang Yimeng.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeryCD

Well, I don't know the truth in this story, but that's not the impression you get when you read the quote above. But if you are right then one thing would be interesting to find out. Was/is the code build on aMule's code or not?

#26 User is offline   LorenzoC 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

I know it may sound impolite but the point is the chinese government allows (maybe even encourages) chinese firms to freely reverse engineer and copy foreign technology of any kind. It is not about Emule or software only. There are other much obvious examples like Russians selling Su-27 fighters to China and having them copied 1:1 in the local J-11 fighter that is now exported for a cheaper price. :)
I am sure the Chinese are "proud" of this success of their industry.

This post has been edited by LorenzoC: 22 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

#27 User is offline   ElChele 

• Miembro con emule 0.50a
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

Misinformation is a powerful weapon, and a priority for the Chinese government.
This means that the Chinese government has to control, what information its citizens receive.

And what is the main objective of emule and p2p program?
Share information.

So, how to control that information?
Allowing a Chinese company controlled by the government, manage P2P technology.

Misinformation is the key and the main cause of the problem.

If I remember correctly, google had problems in China, with filtering of words, in their search engine.

Coincidentally while I write this post, I'm watching a documentary about China on television.
Among other things, says that if you're looking for Tiananmen Square in your browser, the first result matches you get is : Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
Whereas if you do the same search on a computer in China, only find pictures of buildings, historical monuments, etc.

China has been thrown into the arms of capitalism, but the process will be long and difficult.
And only a few privileged citizens, can enjoy its benefits.

Remember the Cold War?
It sounds somewhat industrial espionage, is a very western term.

Anyway, necessity is the mother of invention.
And survival is a necessity for any human.

Anyway, I do not approve, in fact I hate leeches, no matter the country of origin.
And I hate all governments that trample human rights. :ranting:
Posted Image Make your own ipfilter file, and manage fake files. Take in count, You are the best filter for emule.

#28 User is offline   LorenzoC 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

Well the chinese can live without Google since they have their own version, Baidu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu

#29 User is offline   ElChele 

• Miembro con emule 0.50a
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

As I said above. Controlled search engine, with amazing keywords filtering. :)
Posted Image Make your own ipfilter file, and manage fake files. Take in count, You are the best filter for emule.

#30 User is offline   panos 

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

The Wikipedia article for VeryCD suffers from a strong point of view. For example, ``But some people thought that [Its declaration against corruption from capitalized operation kept the website organized and free of advertisement abuse] was contradictory, since VeryCD was already a commercial company which had a lot of advertisement on the website,, makes no sense because free of advertisement abuse doesn't mean less advertisement but rather not abusive. Wikipedia is an example. And being a commercial company doesn't prevent a goal against corruption from capitalized operation.

``The creator of the website and leader of the VeryCD company, Huang Yimeng was also listed in a "list of multimillionaires born in 1980s" by some media,, As well as Jimmy Wales, though he wasn't born in the 80s. A really bad wikipedia article.

My point in that VeryCD - easymule is NOT a GPL breaker is simple:

• On their homepage, VeryCD advertises the 1.1.14 easymule client for download (http://www.verycd.com/)
  • easymule provides their source code (http://www.easymule.com/en-us/)
  • easymule displays the GPL 2.0 license as the term of agreement prior to installation

As for easymule2, while a probable GPL breaker (at the very least, it does copy icons from the official client), it doesn't seem to be as actively developed as the GPLed client (from what I can gather, development on easymule2 doesn't seem to be active since last summer).

But some people seem to be turning this thread to a rant against China. For my part, I find it great to see so many Chinese users on eMule, and their client of choice, as long as is GPLed and plays well on the network, is ~not~ my business.

#31 User is offline   LorenzoC 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

It would ~not~ be your business in any case.
Among the several issues with VeryCD the biggest one is the Chinese are tricked in believing it is the "official" Emule and Emule was invented in China, so basically it isn't their "client of choice" since they don't chose. To be able of choosing you must be informed about alternatives.

About the GPL, I guess it is irrelevant. Even if somebody here would mind of translating/reading the chinese Websites, I strongly doubt there is a way to enforce the GPL and for the reason said above you could not ban the whole China in retaliation. Besides, I guess VeryCD people would not mind of being banned by Emule.

P.S. I really don't know why some people feel the urge of showing everybody how "open minded" they are. Sometimes it gets ridiculous. But see, it is ~not~ my business.

This post has been edited by LorenzoC: 22 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

#32 User is offline   inmemory 

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:33 AM

View Postpanos, on 22 August 2010 - 11:42 PM, said:

My point in that VeryCD - easymule is NOT a GPL breaker is simple:

• On their homepage, VeryCD advertises the 1.1.14 easymule client for download (http://www.verycd.com/)
  • easymule provides their source code (http://www.easymule.com/en-us/)
  • easymule displays the GPL 2.0 license as the term of agreement prior to installation

Before make a point, we'd better try to compile a "SAME" binary with their "opened" souce as their distributed. People cannot believe cheaters'opensource and a "goverment's client". eg. Skype's "Chinese version" - tom-skype, which helps Chinese departments monitor their people,and verycd make every effort to cheat their people they are "official emule" or "official emule's chinese version".

#33 User is offline   tomchen1989 

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

@panos

Wikipedia article:

I am one of whom edited "VeryCD" article. Wikipedia is free to edit for everyone. If you think something's not good, feel free to edit it. You can edit it directly without a registered ID or with a registered ID.

Actually, Now I can see the Neutre Point Of View (NPOV) and enough references in the article. After reading the article, readers know the situation, they can choose to support VeryCD company, or not support it.

It may be a NPOV violation if you write something like "easyMule is released under GPL v2" without mentioning the possibility that easyMule 2.0 may copy code from aMule, or write VeryCD company's "declaration against corruption from capitalized operation kept the website organized and free of advertisement abuse" without mentioning the profit of the company and its owner. I know many users still think VeryCD is not a commercial company because of its beautiful slogan.

Here it is one of the past versions of VeryCD article, it is written just like an advertisement for VeryCD. The article like this must be rewrited from a neutral point of view.

In Chinese Wikipedia, the article "eMule" is created by VeryCD's owner Huang Yimeng (Dash) himself. This article had introduced VeryCD eMule for a long time (about 2004-2008), the screenshot of eMule was VeryCD eMule's, eMule was said to have word filter in the search. Some editors (including myself) moved the content describing VeryCD eMule to its own article "eMule VeryCD Mod" and "easyMule", it is OK now. Plz see the history page of this article. If anyone don't read Chinese, use Google translate.

Huang Yimeng was also listed in a "list of multimillionaires born in 1980s" by some media. Now I added "Chinese" to indicate the "multimillionaires" are Chinese multimillionaires, not worldwide; "some media" are some Chinese media. This news is real, it has a lot references. If you still have something dissatisfied, say it plz.
(edit: The original title is "list of Chinese multimillionaires born in 1980s", in fact it is a "list of Top 10 Chinese multimillionaires born in 1980s" because the list is in an order of property amount. The statistic may be not professional, but can still say something.)

GPL:

I'm not saying if easyMule 2.0 is a GPL-breaker or not. I know something small, but can prove easyMule v1 is REALLY a GPL-breaker. This is now not written in "VeryCD" article of English Wikipedia, perhaps the issue should be added:
(edit: oh it is already in the section "Features for both clients", VeryCD's source closed DLP DLL is for both VeryCD Mod and easyMule)

The DLP DLL file in the package and Installer of easyMule (and VeryCD Mod) is source closed. eMule, DLP feature of Xtreme, and DLP DLL file of Xtreme are GPLed. As an extension and a modification of GPLed code, there's no reason to close the source of any released DLP DLL file.

"emuleAdmin", the leader of VeryCD's official "Dianlv usage report" group (He may be a worker of VeryCD company)
http://www.verycd.co...pic#post3918437
said they got wrong merging Xtreme's DLP DLL to VeryCD's, when some users asked why VeryCD's DLP DLL falsely banned Xtreme, ScarAngel, MorphXT, etc., on 5 May 2010. "emuleAdmin" gave a screenshot of the merged code, but he never released the full code:
Posted Image

Now these mods are no longer banned by VeryCD's DLP DLL. But we are sure that VeryCD's DLP DLL is a GPL-Breaker who may falsely banned a lot more. By a source closed antiLeech.dll, you can do any evil thing, ban what you want to ban, not ban what you don't want to ban.

As a leecher, Xunlei is banned by Xtreme's DLP DLL but not by VeryCD's, many VeryCD users blame VeryCD about this. Xunlei company is bigger than VeryCD company, some users guessed they may have some cooperation, so a bad relation is not expected.

This post has been edited by tomchen1989: 23 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

#34 User is offline   wubo058 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

View Postmicwang010, on 15 August 2010 - 11:18 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm a Chinese user. I'm wondering if VeryCD easymule is official emule, or official emule team is now cooperating with VeryCD dev team?

I told my friends (non-Chinese) that the official edonkey and emule, VeryCD easymule is made in China, we Chinese are proud of emule, emule company is one of the leaders of Chinese IT industry. Is this true or false?

喵的。。你这家伙专门丢咱中国人的脸么??

#35 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

View Postwubo058, on 26 September 2010 - 05:14 PM, said:

喵的。。你这家伙专门丢咱中国人的脸么??

You're not in Chinese forum. Please bother to supply translation at least.

#36 User is offline   leslieiamgod 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

View Postmicwang010, on 15 August 2010 - 03:18 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm a Chinese user. I'm wondering if VeryCD easymule is official emule, or official emule team is now cooperating with VeryCD dev team?

I told my friends (non-Chinese) that the official edonkey and emule, VeryCD easymule is made in China, we Chinese are proud of emule, emule company is one of the leaders of Chinese IT industry. Is this true or false?

As a Chinese, I feel shame about you and easymule team as equal as the government of Communist Party. considering you could find out emule-project.net I do not believe it's too hard for you to find out what kind of software emule is. Hope one day you could finally find out how to use you brain rather than just listening and assumption without consideration.

This post has been edited by leslieiamgod: 18 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

#37 User is offline   techlive 

• Pip

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

As a chinese,it is very shame for the easyMule and emule issues.Acturally,sometimes,i even feel shame to be a chinese,to live in this country,it is hard to say love to my homeland now.

In china,less people can access to the real internet,most of the chinse people think the chinanet as the the internet the same as they consider the easyMule as the eMule and also pround of it,it is not their fault,just because they are taught by the authority like this.

Also,Most people in china don't know what is free software and what is GPL or opensouce,they just know the copyright,they don't care much about whether the easyMule is the offical emule or not,the care more about the the one easyMule is invented by china and don't think about whether it is true or not .

Our life is full off lies and hidings.

#38 User is offline   Dian Lee 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

View PostLorenzoC, on 22 August 2010 - 09:02 PM, said:

Well the chinese can live without Google since they have their own version, Baidu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu

No, no, no, we can't live without international communities, especially the open-source community!

Baidu is not a version but a fake.

So please, if possible, use political callings like 'People' for things like that. Thanks. :)

Ps. I'm proud to recommend emulefans.com , a committed open-source supporters' blog maintained by tomchen1989 for Chinese readers.

This post has been edited by Dian Lee: 21 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

"ED2K 404 or DLP+, you have to choose one. "

#39 User is offline   hanas 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

i just know the verycd≠emule :worthy:

but it's ok

china is ok ,i love china > <

#40 User is offline   LorenzoC 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

I love more chinese girls but that is not the point here.
Until chinese clients behave fairly when they connect to the network and until the GPL license is respected, everything is fine.
On the contrary, if a billion clients connect to the network as "community clients" or "leechers" or whatever other unfair behavior, when somebody claim he has invented "Emule" and does not release the sources, we have got a problem and since China is big, the problem can be big as well.
But it is not about China only, in the past we had some problems with Israel for example.

This post has been edited by LorenzoC: 24 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

• Member Options

• (2 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users