Official eMule-Board: Disappearing Downloads - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Disappearing Downloads reposting to correct forum

#1 User is offline   dpa078 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi. Please also fix the disappearing downloads issue, ed2k links seem to be deleted from downloads.txt/bak on emule startup when it is found that the corresponding .part file is corrupt.

repost from here: http://forum.emule-p...howtopic=146250

#2 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

Try reading here: [0.49c] *.met And *.met.bak Issues lost lots of files (click)

If you wait before restarting emule, you can find the ed2k links in the downloads.txt and in the downloads.bak.
If you have already restarted emule, i think it remains only the downloads.bak.
If you have restarded and closed emule, i think you have lost the ed2k links (but if you have patience, you can retrieve them with the search, and if you have selected, in options file, the 2 options "remember ... files", it is very simple).

This post has been edited by xilolee: 15 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
come ottenere aiuto italian guides - guide della sezione italiana
italian support - sezione italiana scaricare la lista server
ottenere id alto impostare le porte nel router
recuperare file corrotti i filtri ip
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Posted Image

#3 User is offline   dpa078 

• Pip

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hi xilolee, thanks for the link. I suffer from the same issues as described by the user in the other thread. I know i can go through the downloads.txt/bak before restarting emule, but shouldn't emule be able to recover from such scenarios itself without manual intervention. It seems that you yourself proposed an alternative fix in this thread, but the issue still remains.

Rather than having to sort through hundreds of missing ed2k links and orphaned .part files, wouldn't it be better to keep the file in the download list, mark it as corrupted, and then attempt an automatic recovery, or have a Force Re-Check option like in uTorrent, or in the worst case that i have to restart the download from scratch. This is far preferable to having to sort through old download.bak, known.met files, etc and try to figure out which one went missing and which link maps to the part file.

Also, it's not fun trying those recovery tools that only half-work most of the time. I've not had much success with them, that's been my personal experience. These tools jsut seem to be out there, have no websites (mostly) and do not seem to be maintained on an ongoing basis.

#4 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

The recovery of the corrupted files is already automatic.

eMule 0.49c released (click)

Automatic recovery of corrupt part.met files by using the backupfiles

-----------------------
- Jan, 25. 2009 -
-----------------------
.: When corrupted part.met files are detected, eMule now automatically tries to use the part.met.bak files instead

eMule 0.49c BETA2
-----------------------
- Feb, 11. 2009 -
-----------------------
.: Fixed a BETA bug in the new part.met recovery function

Maybe you can try the "always" option for "safe .met/.dat file writing", in options extended:

Safe .met / .dat file writing
On newer operating systems using NTFS as file system there is usually no need to change this option. If downloads are reproducibly lost on crashes or eMule shut downs the safer method should be tried.
Depending on the hardware used, this option may notably increase disk activity / system load or prolong eMule's shut down!

Never
eMule will never use extra safety measures to commit the .met and .dat files to disk on application exit.
On shutdown
eMule will use extra safety measures to commit the .met and .dat files to disk on application exit. This may prolong the time needed for shut down.
Always
The safety measures are used on every write access to these files.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recovery of a corrupted file is not so difficult, usually with known metinator or metfileregenerator you can save nearly the 100% of your files:

1) after the crash, you will not open emule.
2) go in emule installation folder
3) copy your downloads.txt and his bak in a safe place (in this way you have your ed2k links yet)
4) open emule (and it tries to recover your corrupted downloads, if there are them)
5) look at your corrupted file(s) in the server log and find its real temporary filename (example 100.part) and its ed2k link(s) in the downloads.bak/txt
6) download your file with the ed2k link and find its real temporary filename (example 200.part)
7) wait until the file is "seen complete" --> date ; if you see "never", you should wait ....
8) now close your emule
9) [facultative] delete in emule\temp your new .part file (which contains only garbage/zeros and it is without useful parts/chunks)
10) [facultative] rename your wanted .part file (which contains already downloaded parts/chunks) with the name of your just deleted .part file

example:
your corrupted file is 100, your new file is 200
delete 200.part, rename 100.part in 200.part

11) use a recovery-program (metfileregenerator is very good)

ed2k://|file|MetFileRegenerator%20v3.0.16.exe|264047|A96D6E91856C8AF0B44B6A50B846F4AE|/

http://www.bigwillystyle42.com/mfr/

12) Open metFileRegenerator (requires to have Java Runtime Environment v1.4 (or superior) installed)
13) Select Recovery, Press Next
14) select your temp folder, press next
15) select your .part file (200.part in the example), press next
16) select recover only based on chunks, press next
17) it usually recovers the file and when you open emule you should see it :)

This post has been edited by xilolee: 07 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

INCONCEIVABLE! - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sembra talco ma non č serve a darti l'allegrIa! Se lo lanci e poi lo respiri ti dā subito l'allegrIa! Posted Image

#5 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

View Postdpa078, on 15 August 2009 - 05:51 PM, said:

Rather than having to sort through hundreds of missing ed2k links and orphaned .part files
Hundreds?
Maybe you should somewhat limit yourself? Generally it's not recommended to have too many downloads at once - maybe 30-50 maximum.

it's not fun trying those recovery tools that only half-work most of the time. I've not had much success with them
Do you expect that by some magic eMule could do the job that special recovery utilities cannot? Have you considered all possible problems after an OS crash?

#6 User is offline   SS1900 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

@ dpa078
you have try with emule tools (at top) - import downloads ?

:flowers: :flowers:

#7 User is offline   dpa078 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

View Postfox88, on 16 August 2009 - 03:14 PM, said:

Rather than having to sort through hundreds of missing ed2k links and orphaned .part files
Hundreds?
Maybe you should somewhat limit yourself? Generally it's not recommended to have too many downloads at once - maybe 30-50 maximum.

it's not fun trying those recovery tools that only half-work most of the time. I've not had much success with them
Do you expect that by some magic eMule could do the job that special recovery utilities cannot? Have you considered all possible problems after an OS crash?

Hi fox88,

>limit yourself? Generally it's not recommended to have too many downloads at once
Indeed, I do. Usually I have 30/40 concurrent active downloads. To clarify, these 'hundreds' of orphaned downloads have built up over the last 2/3 years or so in my Temp folder.

>by some magic.
No, bringing me back to the original request that the application would not delete ed2k links from downloads.txt, and so keep the mapping between previously orphaned part files and ed2k links. If emule deletes the info needed to recover orphaned downloads, what hope do the recovery tools have?
The mapping between part file and ed2k link is stored nohwere else to the best of my knowledge.

With respect to recovery tools, i tried before with MetFileRegenerator which keeps overwriting newly processed files with previous file info in spite of me clearing the application cache before processing each new file. MetFileRegenerator only suggested correct filenames in approx 1/3 of cases.

MetMedic which generated a bunch of NullPointerExceptions and then barfs out, Metinator (think i only found Turkish language version). For these two, i've not found websites.. I've tried recovery processes suggested from old forum posts with said recovery tools before, had limited success and found it very time-consuming.

All i'm sugggesting is that maybe there is another way to resolve the problem with orphaned downloads, that does not require so much manual intervention, and hopefully none. Keeping information on the corrupted part file in the download list is my suggestion, which would IMO prevent having to go the 'around the houses' and often unsuccessful route of using the recovery tools.

>all possible problems after an OS crash
mostly my laptop crashes because of heat issues, sometimes because of other issues. Regardless of cause of the crash, the issues i've experienced with orphaned downloads are outlined above.

rgds,
dpa078

#8 User is offline   dpa078 

• Pip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

[quote name='xilolee' date='15 August 2009 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1250361276' post='1028829']
The recovery of the corrupted files is already automatic.

eMule 0.49c released (click)

Automatic recovery of corrupt part.met files by using the backupfiles

-----------------------
- Jan, 25. 2009 -
-----------------------
.: When corrupted part.met files are detected, eMule now automatically tries to use the part.met.bak files instead

eMule 0.49c BETA2
-----------------------
- Feb, 11. 2009 -
-----------------------
.: Fixed a BETA bug in the new part.met recovery function

Maybe you can try the "always" option for "safe .met/.dat file writing", in options extended:

Safe .met / .dat file writing
On newer operating systems using NTFS as file system there is usually no need to change this option. If downloads are reproducibly lost on crashes or eMule shut downs the safer method should be tried.
Depending on the hardware used, this option may notably increase disk activity / system load or prolong eMule's shut down!

Never
eMule will never use extra safety measures to commit the .met and .dat files to disk on application exit.
On shutdown
eMule will use extra safety measures to commit the .met and .dat files to disk on application exit. This may prolong the time needed for shut down.
Always
The safety measures are used on every write access to these files.

Hi xilolee,
I have recently enabled this and not seen teh issue with corrupted downloads. Not sure if this is due to teh fact that i am downloading less as my drive is almost full. In any case, i'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I have problems. Thanks for this.

Not had much luck with MetFileRegenerator as outlined in the other post, unfortunately.

thanks,
dpa078

#9 User is offline   xilolee 

• eMule 0.50b BETA1 user
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

emule informs you about corrupted files in the server log, with a red statement ... If you realize immediately that you have one, you can try to recover it with metfileregenerator or you can simply delete the corrupted files (.part, .part.met, .part.met.bak).

shell extension (click)

This is a tool for knowing what files in the temp are lost by crashes.

By the guide of metfileregenerator:

That allows Windows explorer to show information on the content of the temporary archives of eMule, gives this information to you. It is enough installing it and exploring the temp folder to see what download belongs each file. This information is in yellow globes (tooltips), the inferior bar of the window (the state bar), in the Vista "Details", among others.

:flowers:

This post has been edited by xilolee: 16 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

#10 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

View Postdpa078, on 16 August 2009 - 09:35 PM, said:

The mapping between part file and ed2k link is stored nohwere else to the best of my knowledge.
The best of our knowledge is usually limited. :P
How about reading in Help section about Files Used? Normally .part.met files is the primary storage for this information.

View Postdpa078, on 16 August 2009 - 09:35 PM, said:

>all possible problems after an OS crash
mostly my laptop crashes because of heat issues, sometimes because of other issues. Regardless of cause of the crash, the issues i've experienced with orphaned downloads are outlined above.
If you read carefully, you might spot that the question was not about the cause, but about consequences. It could be a lot worse than orphaned downloads. Then automatic recovery could possibly only increase the already existing mess.
You should solve your hardware troubles.

Also you should look into the log more often than once a year. Check file system for errors after crashes.
It is alway a good idea to make a backup of files before trying repairs or any other potentially destructive procedures.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users