• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

We'll have:

- SomeSupport
- zz
- and who else ????!?!?

There was (retired):

- Unknown1 (for Kad) --> maybe secretly active again ;) ?
- bluecow

This post has been edited by Famerlor: 03 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Posted Image

You want a light mod with source-dropping, Powershare and WiZaRd's ClientAnalyzer ?
Try Spike2-Mod !

You rather want to stick to official eMule but don't want to miss all the new fixes and optimizations from the mods ?
Try OfFixed-Mod !

This post has been edited 1 time, the last time by God: Tomorrow, 12:74 PM

#22 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

Darkwing Duck...

How could you forget him :D
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

Need a little help with your MorphXT? Click here

#23 User is offline   Arthuryyl 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hope we can come up with a future compatible version for IPv6

The Future develop will be much wider。 See it at EMule v0.55?

:thumbup:

#24 User is offline   dandin1 

• Pip

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

To go back on topic, supporting IPv6 in Kad isn't that much of a waste of time, since it doesn't depend on a central server to also support it. In uTorrent with the DHT enabled I get a couple IPv6 peers for each torrent I download, both from tunnel brokers and native IPv6 ISPs in Europe and Asia.

This post has been edited by dandin1: 25 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

#25 User is offline   CiccioBastardo 

• Doomsday Executor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Italian Moderators

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

To make KAD IPv6 compatible means all clients have to support IPv6. There cannot be a mix (or you'll have two separate networks). Now, beside some testing univerities campus, where in the world is IPv6 supported?
Are you willing to split KAD network into two with eMule as a bridge between the two words?
The problem is not the client, it's the user

#26 User is offline   leuk_he 

• MorphXT team.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

My isp support ipv6 (native). And in the devolping phase you can use ip6overipv4 No trouble htere.

But there is a different problem

Kad relies a little bit on the fact that everyone has one ip address, and certainly nowone has 2^48 addresses. That opens kad to sybil attacks. The solution however will be the same for ipv6 and ipv4: test kad nodes better before allowing and duplicating them in your route table. Or do you think kad2.0 is stable enough already?

This post has been edited by leuk_he: 25 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Download the MorphXT emule mod here: eMule Morph mod

Trouble connecting to a server? Use kad and /or refresh your server list
Strange search results? Check for fake servers! Or download morph, enable obfuscated server required, and far less fake server seen.

Looking for morphXT translators. If you want to translate the morph strings please come here (you only need to be able to write, no coding required. ) Covered now: cn,pt(br),it,es_t,fr.,pl Update needed:de,nl
-Morph FAQ [English wiki]--Het grote emule topic deel 13 [Nederlands]
if you want to send a message i will tell you to open op a topic in the forum. Other forum lurkers might be helped as well.

#27 User is offline   KalEn 

• Pip

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Vista has native IPv6, uses IPv4 only in case no other way is possible.
Many ISPs i know (i'm from Germany) support IPv6, most routers also.
Only reason for me to use IPv4 is compatibility backwards.
Btw. most games are playable in an IPv6 Network (Vista tunnels IPv4), so other software should do also.

Hope my english is not too bad.

*edit*
even srvx (IRC-protocol) is capable of IPv6

This post has been edited by KalEn: 02 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

#28 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yes

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

View PostKalEn, on Sep 2 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

Vista has native IPv6, uses IPv4 only in case no other way is possible.

Vista has a dual stack and supports IPv4 just as well as IPv6. Since v6 is the newer version it is of course prefered if peresent. Besides the fact that Vista isn't excactly in the same genre as eMule, there is also the point that the most users don't use Vista (yet).

Many ISPs i know (i'm from Germany) support IPv6,

Ah. Maybe is missed something but which major ISP offers IPv6 connectibility to its end users? Telekom? Arcor? Alice?

most routers also.

Like which home routers (without hacked firmware)?

Only reason for me to use IPv4 is compatibility backwards.

Then what are your other reasons to use IPv6 over IPv4 (besides the joy of beeing an early adopter)?

Anyway, we already stated that we will implement IPv6 at some point, just most likely not right now.

#29 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:28 AM

View PostSome Support, on Sep 3 2008, 01:58 AM, said:

most routers also.

Like which home routers (without hacked firmware)?

In all fairness he probably meant all those neat little Cisco Routers routing our internet traffic and has a point there. ;)

Unfortunately the fact that those routers support IPv6 is of no consequence since ISPs still work with IPv4. Probably until there is no choice but to switch.

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

#30 User is offline   KalEn 

• Pip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:23 AM

T-Com and alice and arcor and some minor companies offer IPv6 for business, but endusers also benefit from if using their software or ip-phons, so i do with arcor.

#31 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

T-Com and alice and arcor

Do you have any sources for this (even though buissness accounts have not much relevance for eMule)? Or do you mean with buissness intra-ISP and hosting related buissness?

but endusers also benefit from if using their software or ip-phons, so i do with arcor.

Like how?

#32 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

Sounds like the new QoS management in IPv6 although it's still pointless if the ISP doesn't actually support IPv6 :rolleyes:

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

#33 User is offline   KalEn 

• Pip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:33 AM

first: http://www.6net.org/...hild-tf-ngn.pdf , its THE ipv6-project in germany from 2002...
*sorry for edit... the JOIN-project exists since 1996*

second: since TOS6.0 (software provided by t-online in 2006) it uses an ipv6-handshake to call for ip-adresses.

third: mainly the ipv4 is part of the ipv6 accertained this way, because of backward-compatibility (in Germany we are in a good condition to have enough ipv4-adresses for this way...)

fourth: it is an easy conclusion, that other follow the leader in this technology...

fifth: i use ipv6 in arcor-network, which is a real internet-adress, but because of international compatibility it also has an unique ipv4, so the most server-providers offer.

sixth: http://www.de-cix.ne...nt/clients.html - this list is sadly out of date.

seventh: most users didnt/cant recognize if they are using ipv6 because of the information Windows / ISP-software give is mostly ipv4 but in background an working ipv6 hiding the infos in protocols.

This post has been edited by KalEn: 04 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

#34 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

View PostKalEn, on Sep 4 2008, 02:33 AM, said:

first: http://www.6net.org/...hild-tf-ngn.pdf , its THE ipv6-project in germany from 2002...

And was terminated 2005 as you can read on the first page of 6net.org. It was a experimental showcase project.

second: since TOS6.0 (software provided by t-online in 2006) it uses an ipv6-handshake to call for ip-adresses.

Thats nice, but pointless since the T-Online doesn't supports IPv6.

fifth: i use ipv6 in arcor-network, which is a real internet-adress, but because of international compatibility it also has an unique ipv4, so the most server-providers offer.

This is interesting. So you say that you acor home line offers you native IPv6 connectivity? I very much doubt this, but i would be intrested to read about it so if you have any sources, please link them.

sixth: http://www.de-cix.ne...nt/clients.html - this list is sadly out of date.

Unfortunatly we don't have many eMule users within DE-CIX , the main german data exchange center. So: Yes several ISPs already prepare IPv6 for internal routing, but that doesn't means the enduser will see anything from that soon.

seventh: most users didnt/cant recognize if they are using ipv6 because of the information Windows / ISP-software give is mostly ipv4 but in background an working ipv6 hiding the infos in protocols.

If you would use IPv6 you would notice, because most stuff wouldn't work anymore (like websites, games, etc). And you can't see an IPv4 number if you actually use IPv6.

#35 User is offline   Nil Einne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

As with others I find I usually get several peers in most torrents that are using IPv6. Also I think we need to appreciate something. For a number of people they get better performance over IPv6 even if it's non-native because their ISPs are quite limiting with their traffic particularly international traffic but because IPv6 tunneling services are trying to encourage adoption and the number of users remains small they can afford to be basically unlimited. Also if you are behind a NAT with no control you can use IPv6 to ensure you are open to connections. And I suspect a greater percentage of eMule users have IPv6 then the general internet population since P2P apps tend to attract a more technical crowd. Emule very likely most so then bittorrent. It wouldn't surprise me for example if at least 5-10% of eMule users either have IPv6 or are willing to set it up if eMule would support it particularly in the 2 years or so when it will likely be working and implemented properly if you start now.

Finally I think it's worth considering that IMHO IPv6 adoption is going to happen rather fast. All the core infrastructure has been slowly being put in place and is nearly complete. All the OS and major application support is there. So really the only thing stopping it happening is the lack of will among ISPs to implement it. But current estimates are that IPv4 exhausation will happen in about 3 years (perhaps given the economic crisis this will take longer but I wouldn't expect it to be that much more). So it seems to me in about 2 years at most, major ISPs particularly in the developing world will have no choice. The fact that pre-existing modems mostly don't support IPv6 is largely irrelevant to their POV since their customers are likely to be new customers with new modems. (And it's quite easy to add IPv6 support to modems, many of them are just using Linux anyway.) We've already seen to some extent some ISPs in the developing world providing only NAT access because they can't afford to provide individual IPs given the prices they are offering service at. This is likely to accelerate as exhausation grows near. So while yes, these people will still have IPv4 access it won't work particularly well with eMule. The question is can eMule afford to lose all these users? IMHO the answer is no. And the trouble is, if you only start to work on this 2 years from now given that it'll probably take 2 years to properly integrate IPv6 support you'll find by the time you finish you are way too late because everyone else implemented it a long time ago and those that didn't found themselves by the wayside like you because why worry about an app that doesn't support IPv6 when so many do?

P.S. I don't see any issue with the network 'splitting' due to Kad. Fact is many will still have both for a while. Some may get better performance with IPv6, some with IPv4, some may be IPv6 only (or very limited behind IPv4), somemay be IPv4 only but ultimately if the code is properly designed this shouldn't be an issue since the client will cope. But of course that just further demonstrates why it's important to start soon. If the code is rushed, then you can expect problems from a poorly implemented IPv6 support.
P.P.S. For whoever mentioned trackers, let's not forget Piratebay now has IPv6 support

This post has been edited by Nil Einne: 03 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

#36 User is offline   yegle 

• Pip

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

Is this feature on the to-do list now?

#37 User is offline   v6guru 

• Pip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

IPv6 is now being deployed around Asia. I am developing and now starting to sell IPv6
infrastructure products. In the U.S., and EU to some extent, IPv6 is slow to be adopted,
but soon it will have to be. By our calculations, IANA will be out of IPv4 addresses by
mid 2010, and the RIR's by end of 2010, and that assumes no last minute "panic"
allocations.

IPv4 is obsolete and badly broken with NAT, esp. for VoIP and P2P (like, to choose an
example at random, eMule!). One of the big problems is getting a real "static external"
IPv4 address (I have to pay an EXTRA USD162 a year PER IPv4 ADDRESS on top of
my USD80 per month ISP bill). We are in the last days of IPv4, even with NAT.

One of the things that will help IPv6 adoption is for apps like eMule to be ported to
IPv6. I am willing to not only fund this, but I have a very experienced IPv6 developer
who is willing to do the work, given access to the code. It is worth it to me to help
the IPv6 uptake.

We are creating a really nice IPv6 voice/IM/email client, and it is SO MUCH EASIER
with IPv6 (no need to worry about NAT traversal, better QoS, mulitcast, etc). IPv4
is 26 year old technology.

You do NOT need to wait for your friendly neighborhood ISP to offer IPv6 - you can
tunnel IPv6 oevr your existing IPv4 service today, FOR FREE. There are several
companies that will provide you with service via tunnels. Only problem is you still
need one of those precious remaining real IPv4 addresses to build a tunnel. But
once you have, you have (typically) a /48 block - 2 to the 80th REAL addresses.
That's 65K times 4B times the entire existing Internet address space - for EACH
user.

Even if I can't get you interested in IPv6 yet, we will do the work and return it
to the open source group, no strings attached.

Please don't stand in the way of this important new feature - many people want
it because of problem of getting a real IPv4 address anymore (and it is only going
to get worse and worse as the last ones finally disappear).

#38 User is offline   Andu 

• Morph Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

View Postv6guru, on May 25 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

One of the things that will help IPv6 adoption is for apps like eMule to be ported to
IPv6. I am willing to not only fund this, but I have a very experienced IPv6 developer
who is willing to do the work, given access to the code. It is worth it to me to help
the IPv6 uptake.

The source is open. You can get started whenever you like. If you want the code implemented into the official client then you can put the finished code into the dev section and the devs will probably take a look into it.

I wonder if a IPv4/IPv6 hybrid solution would be possible. There must be some IPv4/v6 gateways that can translate the protocols. I guess I should start digging deeper into IPv6 just to get up to speed ;).

Dark Lord of the Forum

Morph your Mule

#39 User is offline   sophana79 

• Pip

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

One major feature of ipv6 is multicast, that comes natively with the new protocol.
This means that one sender can have several listeners.
As upload bandwidth is a limit today, multicast will make P2P a LOT faster.
ISPs will all want to adopt ipv6 because multicast will save them a LOT of expansive peering bandwidth.

If emule had multicast support though ipv6, believe me, the performance will be so terrific, that EVERYBODY will want to switch to ipv6.
P2P can be a major cause of general ipv6 adoption.

That said, a P2P protocol with multicast has very few in common with unicast p2p. So I think it would be a brand new protocol I think.

#40 User is offline   Some Support 

• Last eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

ISPs will all want to adopt ipv6 because multicast will save them a LOT of expansive peering bandwidth.

I do have my doubts about that claim (the part that multicast will be available).

• Member Options

• (3 Pages)
  • +

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users