Official eMule-Board: Rephrase:why Is Emule Unavailable 11pm-7am? - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

Rephrase:why Is Emule Unavailable 11pm-7am? Why Emule unavailable 11pm-7am?

#1 User is offline   jimdagys 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

I need to rephrase this question because I didn't get the answer I was looking for. I am in a Chinese university and starting about one month ago, emule is not available from 11pm to 7 am. At about 11pm, after a several minute interval, most files turn red, sources reduce greatly and all downloading stops. If I exit emule and try to reconnect, neither emule or the kad will connect, just continues with indefinite "connecting". Also, between 11pm and 7am, all downloading of torrents stops. After 7am, everything returns to normal until the next evening 11pm when the cycle repeats. During this emule outage, I can apparently surf the internet as normal and also I can listen to BBC streaming audio without any interruption. This proves that the internet is not cut off. However, I cannot log in or log out of yahoomail or hotmail during the night. If I am already connected to my yahoomail or hotmail (before 11pm) I can use it as normal, but I cannot log out until 7am. My situation is here that I need to get more info about this topic before I try to confront the university IT department about this situation.
If someone on this board could please answer the following questions:
1) What kind of protocol (or internet filtering) could block emule and torrent downloading but allow normal use of internet (except for login and log out of yahoomail/hotmail?
2) Is this kind of internet filtering common? I mean, certainly there are groups of people that would like to see emule and torrent downloading disabled.
3) During this outage (11pm-7am) why is login and logout of yahoomail/hotmail disabled? Here, I am asking, what unique feature (protocol? of logging in /logging out ) is necessary for login/logout process and what kind of filtering could just eliminate only that function (login/logout) but still allow normal surfing of the internet?
I have tried different port numbers for emule/torrent and this does not solve the problem.
Thanks to anyone who can give me a detailed answer on this topic.

#2 User is offline   R3Qu13M 

• IÐiTwøKei TraÐe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

View Postjimdagys, on Jun 18 2008, 02:00 AM, said:

I am in a Chinese university
If your internet network connection is a public or local university lan wireless network, these situation is normal.
This lan network filtering is ussually. Filter same application or internet traffic to same ports.
The LAN University unblock http/fttp/etc. protocols, but for example the rest of ports are blocked.

Regards! Posted Image

#3 User is offline   jimdagys 

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:39 PM

Then, under these circumstances, is it impossible to use emule, or is there something I can do to get emule working? I cannot login to the university router or make any changes like that.

#4 User is offline   R3Qu13M 

• IÐiTwøKei TraÐe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

Theoretically and exactly: In your lan network it´s impossible to use emule in the period between 11pm and 7am.
And absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   jimdagys 

• Pip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:50 AM

OK, then if it so easy for the internet provider to completely block emule, why don't most internet providers block emule? I mean, many people that use emule just clog the internet and download movies and music.
Also, can you explain to me something more about ports? You said, "The LAN University unblock http/fttp/etc. protocols."
That is right, I have no problem surfing the internet, listening to web streaming audio or downloading from the web. But emule doesn't connect. (I have updated and have valid servers.) Why can't emule use the same open ports as when I surf the web (which works fine)?

This post has been edited by jimdagys: 19 June 2008 - 01:51 AM

#6 User is offline   R3Qu13M 

• IÐiTwøKei TraÐe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

One possibility (i don´t check it):
Try to set in your eMule one of this ports numbers (both using same number)
Posted Image

But I said you: Absolutely nothing you can do about configure or modificate network setting.

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

why don't most internet providers block emule?

Many do and it's a big problem.

There are many ways to control, ranging from basic port blocking, through to behaviour/protocol etc. Some might just block default ports, some might detect ports you're using and block them automatically. Some might detect the ed2k protocol and filter only these packets. Some might notice unusual behaviour (constant uploads etc.)

Protocol obfuscation capability was added to help circumvent some detection but it is only useful in specific types.

But while normal ISP's might want to be accurate about their blocking, a University has no need to be. They are providing a service to help with your education and they have nothing to lose by just completely blocking. More importantly, an ISP will be most concerned about bandwidth. A University might be more worried about the legal implications of P2P.

#8 User is offline   jimdagys 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the interesting reply. I am curious, on an average university (with LAN) in the USA, do you think that emule is blocked on the LAN? I am in a country (China) where using emule (Chinese version is called "Very CD") is as common and accepted as eating rice. Many users here are happy to leave emule on 24/7 high ID to act as a transfer node. I notice that I can download things faster if I type in the Chinese name of the thing I want to download. For example, suppose I want to download the thing called xyz. I just go to Google in China (http://www.google.cn) and type in the name. With a small bit of Chinese language knowledge, I can find the Chinese name (in Chinese characters) of this thing. Then I copy and paste the Chinese name into the English version emule search. Since my computer doesn't render Chinese, only a bunch of squares will be displayed in the emule search box. But no matter, emule will still search on the Chinese characters. Most things gotten this way will have embedded Chinese subtitles in the picture. But this method for downloading works pretty fast for me. One more question: An above posting suggested I try typing in ports numbers like 80, 21, 69, 25...etc. My question is, where do I type in these numbers? Is that in Options>connections, TCP/UDP? For example, do I just type in 80 for TCP, 80 for UDP? Is that the meaning of the above posting? At this time, the default numbers are TCP= 4626, UDP= 15086. Actually I have to say that I don't really understand what implications these numbers have. If I use Bit Torrent, there is only one port number and it is not called TCP or UDP.

This post has been edited by jimdagys: 20 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

#9 User is offline   R3Qu13M 

• IÐiTwøKei TraÐe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

View Postjimdagys, on Jun 20 2008, 10:48 AM, said:

I try typing in ports numbers like 80, 21, 69, 25...etc. My question is, where do I type in these numbers? Is that in Options>connections, TCP/UDP?
Yes, you set TCP&UDP ports numbers in Options > Connections, and then reboot your eMule.

For example, do I just type in 80 for TCP, 80 for UDP?
Yup

Actually I have to say that I don't really understand what implications these numbers have.
Ports

The idea, with these ports numbers, is "if your LAN Network´s blocking (11pm-7am) all protocols except for http/ftp/etc", you´d try to use eMule with port numbers that LAN Network doesn´t block [ protocol http = port 80 ].

This post has been edited by R3Qu13M: 20 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

#10 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

I am curious, on an average university (with LAN) in the USA, do you think that emule is blocked on the LAN?

Yes. Or if it is not, it certainly will be strictly forbidden. This is true for Europe and US.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users