Official eMule-Board: File-end Preview Chunks Inadequate - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

File-end Preview Chunks Inadequate

#1 User is offline   turqoise 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

Hi,

I always mark "try to download preview chunks first" . And Emule usually does. However, the end-of-file chunk that is required to properly preview the file is apparently bigger than the chunk Emules sees as satisfying.

So, what often happens is I start downloading a movie, soon enough 2 small chunks at the start and end are downloaded, and Emule happily proceeds to download chunks as available. However, when I try to preview ( with either VLC or Media Player Classic ) I can only see the starting continuous downloaded section, up to the first non-downloaded section - that is, a very small part of the movie.

Posted Image

As you can see ( with some eye straining ), most of the file in this example is downloaded. A small chunk at the end is downloaded too, and Emule thinks it satisfied the "download preview chunks" demand, but actually only the first section up to the first blue non-downloaded section can be previewed.

The end-file chunk is just not big enough - it should be about twice the size shown ( that's still very small ).

WHICH IS QUITE ANNOYING.

So, dear Emule Devs, kindly increase the size of the end-file section to be downloaded first !

#2 User is offline   xnorf 

• eMule King
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

I would like to add:
1. First priority should always be to download the first chunk first. All other chunks are always(*) useless without the first chunk, or more precise: the first bytes. (*=except for mpgs)
2. The first chunk doesn't need to be downloaded completely. The first 500 KB would be enough to give a good impression of a JPG, MP3 or the first seconds of a video. However I endorse downloading full chunks in order to distribute them as soon as possible. Another benefit: A complete first chunk allows a longer preview for a video. 9500 KB are usually suffice for one minute of video (varies on the bitrate of the video).
3. It would be great if the last chunk / the last 2 chunks could be downloaded in reverse order, starting with the last bytes first. This can reduce the time until an avi index is complete by 50 minutes assuming download speed is 3 KB/s.

On more thing: Zipfiles
Even if the first chunk is downloaded eMule shows in "Content": Status: Insufficent data available. Starting with byte 65 of the zipfile, you find the filename of the first file in the archive. It would be nice if the available filenames could be shown in the content field even without the last chunk(s) downloaded. Even an incomplete list of filenames is better then no filenames at all.

This post has been edited by xnorf: 17 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

#3 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

It has been requested before that the last two chunks are required for some previews.

Although I'm confused that, if a preview is available at all, then perhaps this is not the problem? Do you have the .partfile access module installed for VLC?

#4 User is offline   turqoise 

• Pip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

View Postniclights, on May 17 2008, 12:38 PM, said:

I'm confused that, if a preview is available at all, then perhaps this is not the problem? Do you have the .partfile access module installed for VLC?

Not right now - I have the latest VLC v0.8.6f , and I don't see in the part file module list a parallel file. Besides, I find Media Player Classic better for previewing, usually.

But this is an old problem, occured also when I had older versions ov VLC + their module.

#5 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Maybe worth trying 0.8.6c with the access module then. I was sure that if the file's available for preview then all the necessary parts exist.

#6 User is offline   fox88 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

View Postturqoise, on May 17 2008, 10:43 AM, said:

I always mark "try to download preview chunks first" .
Use this feature only when you really need to preview file being unsure about it's contents.
Because this feature is not good for parts distributions in the network.

View Postturqoise, on May 17 2008, 09:12 PM, said:

I find Media Player Classic better for previewing, usually.
MPC is not as good as VLC for previewing incomplete files.

View Postniclights, on May 17 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Maybe worth trying 0.8.6c with the access module then. I was sure that if the file's available for preview then all the necessary parts exist.

Part access module for 0.8.6c is working fine with the latest 0.8.6f.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users