Official eMule-Board: What Issues Does Emule Have With Vista? - Official eMule-Board

Page 1 of 1

What Issues Does Emule Have With Vista?

#1 User is offline   OpiatedMadman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:27 AM

And are there any solutions? Do all users experience these problems?

Because I was thinking of upgrading to Vista.

#2 User is offline   OpiatedMadman 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

I've heard slow download speeds. How slow, and is there any way to fix it?

What are the other issues?

#3 User is offline   Nissenice 

• clippetty-clopping...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

View PostOpiatedMadman, on Nov 11 2007, 12:07 AM, said:

What are the other issues?

Slow users? :-k

#4 User is offline   OpiatedMadman 

• PipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

Like, how slow of download speeds are we talking?

#5 User is offline   MadlyMad 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:42 AM

talking about speed and OS is just none-sense

whatever
I Think eMule does not have anymore real big bug or issue with Vista since 0.48a

The extreme limit of wisdom, that is what the public calls madness.

#6 User is offline   Lastwebpage 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

No problems here, (Vista ultimate 32),
slower? I feel it works with the same speed or maybe faster, but not slower.

"Problems":
-Not install eMule below c:\program files, give the USER full access to this folder or read the documents about it,
program outputs to the c:\Program Files} folder are redirect to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files. I have installed EMule on drive D: therefore I am not sure if eMule works correct with this redirect dirs, specifically video preview or other things.

-Maybe you get Problems with open connections (Event ID 4226)
look here: http://www.mydigital...-event-id-4226/
except for that I not disable TCP/IP Auto-Tuning, because I have made the experience that any fiddle around with this kind of settings make only problems and give no benefits, I have set the limit to 100 and it works very well.

Peter

#7 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

slower? I feel it works with the same speed or maybe faster, but not slower.

As already said, OS cannot influence transfer speed.

#8 User is offline   niRRity 

• Avid Post Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

eMule works perfectly on my vista 32-bit for six months now and probably on 64-bit too (though I haven't tested).

#9 User is offline   leuk_he 

• MorphXT team.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

Vista does no seem to be able the fragmentation caused by sparse files... So this id disabled.

Users seem to be unable to find their files sometimes. I think they try to protect vista against users.

THe workarround against the vista p2p limitation for 10 half open connections /sec is harder to find and maybe also harder to apply. (xp users can find it here: http://www.lvllord.de/)

Vista has some nice new features for coders, and applying those features the simple way will break your programs on anything non-vista. :furious:

There are some recurring reports that eMule eats a lot of memory on win64. (Did not test myself since i do not have wintel 64 bit hardware)

This post has been edited by leuk_he: 11 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Download the MorphXT emule mod here: eMule Morph mod

Trouble connecting to a server? Use kad and /or refresh your server list
Strange search results? Check for fake servers! Or download morph, enable obfuscated server required, and far less fake server seen.

Looking for morphXT translators. If you want to translate the morph strings please come here (you only need to be able to write, no coding required. ) Covered now: cn,pt(br),it,es_t,fr.,pl Update needed:de,nl
-Morph FAQ [English wiki]--Het grote emule topic deel 13 [Nederlands]
if you want to send a message i will tell you to open op a topic in the forum. Other forum lurkers might be helped as well.

#10 User is offline   emule333 

• Pip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

View PostLastwebpage, on Nov 11 2007, 10:39 AM, said:

"Problems":
-Not install eMule below c:\program files, give the USER full access to this folder or read the documents about it,
program outputs to the c:\Program Files} folder are redirect to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files. I have installed EMule on drive D: therefore I am not sure if eMule works correct with this redirect dirs, specifically video preview or other things.

You should install eMule to "c:\program files" ofcourse, just like any other program. Then go to extended options and select "each user has his own configuration". This way eMule won't write anything into "c:\program files". This option should be default. Even on Windows XP you should work as a user and not as an administrator.

#11 User is offline   the Doctor 

• Emergency MuleHelp Hologram.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

With 0.48a there is a difference between:
-Using the installer to in that runs with borg privileges
-Manually unzip the binary distribution into c:\programme with ensign privileges

This is due to the design made by master borg gates Posted Image
_____________________________________________ . -- ..- .-.. .
To go bald where no helpdesk has gone before.

And please report back to sickbay after curing your problem. Other patients may be helped by this as well.

If you note errors in my help please keep in mind that my holomatrix can get defects due to bad prolonged interaction. In other words, shut of the EMH when leaving the topic.

#12 User is offline   Semm 

• Splendid Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:17 AM

View Postleuk_he, on Nov 11 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

THe workarround against the vista p2p limitation for 10 half open connections /sec is harder to find and maybe also harder to apply. (xp users can find it here: http://www.lvllord.de/)

And the Vista patch is also reported to be broken by a recent Microsoft update (the patcher brings you the famous "bluescreen" now). Maybe there is an update for the update, but I am sure an update for the update will be broken by the next Microsoft update anyway. :P :lol:
Additionally the users don’t only have to struggle with this workaround, they also have to adjust eMule's max. half open connection settings in the - "don't touch" - extendet options.

So I guess this means an a bit slower eMule for the average XP SP2 and Vista user? :huh:

This post has been edited by Semm: 18 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

#13 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

It is more unlikely that anyone needs more than 10 half-open connections. I certainly doubt this limit could ever have noticeable impact on transfer speed.

#14 User is offline   Wulp 

• Golden eMule
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:20 AM

View Postemule333, on Nov 12 2007, 01:31 PM, said:

"each user has his own configuration". [...] This option should be default.
I thought it was default on vista. :confused:

View Postniclights, on Nov 18 2007, 04:16 AM, said:

It is more unlikely that anyone needs more than 10 half-open connections. I certainly doubt this limit could ever have noticeable impact on transfer speed.

But afaik the limit is even lower within the cheaper vista versions (e.g. home basic).

#15 User is offline   Jugalator 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

I'm right now downloading at 2 Mbps, and downloading at 1.5 Mbps. Over here, it was normal in XP, and it's normal in Vista. :) Actually it's a bit faster now, I think thanks to so many now using Kad.

The half open connections isn't a big deal, believe me. I've downloaded at a full 45 Mbps on P2P networks here with no patches like that applied.

Note that this limit doesn't cap the number of *open* connections, which is what you should be worried about, if anything. The only thing the current limit use to do may be to get you up to full speed in a longer time, but that has to be a matter of seconds, really. I can't say I'm noticing much and I think it's a hassle that's not worth it to change, either on XP or Vista. It was mostly blown up by people that don't know what they're talking about, people that think it permanently limits your speed or something.

The only difference I can think of in Vista as for eMule is:
- No sparse file support. Whether you're affected by that depends on how big files you use to download and how little drive space you use to have.
- Need to use it with pre-user configurations. Doesn't affect how eMule functions if enabled, unless you had many different Windows users sharing your settings before. Now they'd get their individual settings.

This post has been edited by Jugalator: 18 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

#16 User is offline   leuk_he 

• MorphXT team.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

View PostJugalator, on Nov 18 2007, 11:54 PM, said:

The only difference I can think of in Vista as for eMule is:

- Need to use it with pre-user configurations.

No, there is no NEED. It is the default, and maybe even recommended (@ornis, please post the installer source....) , but you can run from program dir, certainly if you do not install in c:\prgram files but in c:\emule.
Download the MorphXT emule mod here: eMule Morph mod

Trouble connecting to a server? Use kad and /or refresh your server list
Strange search results? Check for fake servers! Or download morph, enable obfuscated server required, and far less fake server seen.

Looking for morphXT translators. If you want to translate the morph strings please come here (you only need to be able to write, no coding required. ) Covered now: cn,pt(br),it,es_t,fr.,pl Update needed:de,nl
-Morph FAQ [English wiki]--Het grote emule topic deel 13 [Nederlands]
if you want to send a message i will tell you to open op a topic in the forum. Other forum lurkers might be helped as well.

#17 User is offline   niclights 

• lost in space
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

Actually it's a bit faster now, I think thanks to so many now using Kad.

Speed is only related to number of sources and their upload capablility (ie. luck!). It cannot be related to OS or network connected unless you perhaps have only one very rare file with 1-2 sources.

• Member Options

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users